• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Friday night started out slow, saw nothing on the first three stands but heard them on two. Spotted one on the 4th set, but it wasn't acting very interested. Moved closer to it and switched up to a distress and spotted two hard charging from 1/2 mile away. Shot one at 125 yards and my son in law missed the second. 3 sets later we killed 3 and missed another. The 87gr Vmax hits them hard, haven't had one take a step yet this year.View attachment 8061873View attachment 8061874View attachment 8061875View attachment 8061876
Nice work. How fast are you pushing the 87 v-max?

Killed this one today 95gr vmax out of a 6.5 creed 200yds DRT!
IMG_5346.jpg

Target of opportunity. Had a whole pig and a deer carcass at the gut pile about 300 yards from deer camp and the yotes couldn't resist. Missed a big male at 300 but it sounded like a hit. We were walking down to investigate when this little female bolted out of the brush. Shot her about 150 on the run. Didn't lead her enough but it still did the job. 85gr Sierra gameking bthp out of a 243 @3350fps. Definitely not fur friendly.
Screenshot_20230205_154651_Gallery.jpg

Took @260284 and @Ksracer out to do some night calling. They laid the hammer down on some coyotes, while I pushed the buttons on the call. I have to say I felt like a fish out of water using a thermal. This was the first time ever using one, and I was having a hard time even finding the coyotes. But those guys were on them quick, and made some great shots. It's definitely not as fun as day calling, but im sure they won't have a hard time of convincing me to go again.

Attachments

• IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6305.jpg
    IMG_6305.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6308.jpg
    IMG_6308.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230203_233319.jpg
    20230203_233319.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 58
Took @260284 and @Ksracer out to do some night calling. They laid the hammer down on some coyotes, while I pushed the buttons on the call. I have to say I felt like a fish out of water using a thermal. This was the first time ever using one, and I was having a hard time even finding the coyotes. But those guys were on them quick, and made some great shots. It's definitely not as fun as day calling, but im sure they won't have a hard time of convincing me to go again.
I'll have to get that spare rifle fixed up a little better. I haven't personally used it since putting it back in that stock and I didn't realize how horrible the cheek weld situation was. My apologies.

Thank-You for guiding us. It was a good time.
I switched back to my old barrel and ditched the 75gn Eld-m's. There won't be any more 300yd twice hit Zombie coyotes chasing you around!

• Haha
Reactions: 260284
Once you young guys get rested up I say we do it again. I should have put you on my AR right away.

1249738F-E18F-47A5-8082-45DA31FCA64A.jpeg

May be my last kill with a .223. Switched to 6.5 because I got sick of having to look for them. I only get paid for the ones I recover.

Shot that thing in the heart, had a broadhead -like blood trail gushing down the road and he still ran 30 yards.

View attachment 8072871

May be my last kill with a .223. Switched to 6.5 because I got sick of having to look for them. I only get paid for the ones I recover.

Shot that thing in the heart, had a broadhead -like blood trail gushing down the road and he still ran 30 yards.
What kind of .223 ammunition are you using?

I got access to a new large cattle ranch today. A couple different bait piles... they've lost a few and are just getting started calving. I plan on being a regular visitor if I can get to this spot with a 360 view. I saw 3, nothing close, missed one at 1175 w/ the 6×47 Lapua. Enjoy
20230211_111756.jpg
20230211_092126.jpg
20230211_083026.jpg
20230211_083009.jpg
20230211_082952.jpg
20230211_082920.jpg

The 55gr V-Max have done well with me. In another rifle I had good luck with the Hornady 55gr BTHP. Matchkings just pencil through when I've used them. I have some 55gr Blitzkings loaded up but haven't shot anything but paper with them

Convert those 223 rifles to 6mm arc and extend your range and lethality exponentially. Nothing but a barrel and a bolt face.

I would take ballistic tips or blitzings over vmax. The vmax have a thinner jacket and tend to splash.

Called a spot right next to a busy highway lit up like a full moon. Had one at less than 100 yards within 10 minutes. Didin't see the second one until after the shot. I expected some serious damage from the 87gr V-Max and couldn't even find a drop a blood.
063.JPG
064.JPG
062.JPG

Found my next thermal! I love that it is shaped like a traditional scope. Presumably with similar eye relief?
It can be. It’s just a screen so you can get as close to it as you want to be comfortable. You can see it beyond traditional eye relief or if you get right up on it. I have it mounted so I’m pretty close to it so I can make sure to see the whole screen. They also make a 384 version of it for about $2000 less.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
@SDBguy95 Vmax? Looks like a whole lotta whoop ass.

I tipped one over yesterday with a 105 amax, there was a little trail of drops for about 20 ft and where he flopped and rolled in the snow and ended up it was crimsony over a purdy good area.

55 vmax out of a 22-250, love it. I havnt shot anything since around Christmas with working out of town and bad weather. It came in to 175 and stood behind a tree for a year or two. Adrenaline surged and I sent a bad shot into its leg, it ran off and took a break at 325 where I laid him down.

My thought process when they come in closer than 400 yards.

It might actually come in! Uh oh, it looked back, is it going to run? Blam! Missed, I gotta start letting them work in a little closer.. 😂