• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

55 vmax out of a 22-250, love it. I havnt shot anything since around Christmas with working out of town and bad weather. It came in to 175 and stood behind a tree for a year or two. Adrenaline surged and I sent a bad shot into its leg, it ran off and took a break at 325 where I laid him down.
Before I re-barreled it, this Remington 700 was deadly on ground hogs with the 22-250 Hornady 55 grain V-Max. Top photo, second from the left; the head was completely blown off. I shot the barrel out of this rifle. It probably had 5000 rounds through it. It was only good out to 700 yards because of the light bullet and slow twist barrel. Yet, it was like a laser out to 700. Past 750 it was hard to tell where the bullet went. The last 5 rounds through the old barrel still hit steel at 700. When I got the old barrel back from the gunsmith, I ran a bore scope through it and the first 2.5 to 3 inches of rifling was shot out! Bottom photo was a head shot at 300 yards.

Rifles (6).jpg
Rifles (8).jpg

You guys ever deal with coyotes learning your calls or just not answering?

I got one spot I know they are at. This was the morning after a hard rain storm the previous day.

Is there a better time of night to call? Right at dusk? Right before dawn? Middle of the night?

I’ve smoked about ten in this general area over the last two years but I know there’s a bunch more it just seems like they’ve wised up to me in this spot.

EB708B19-2FE9-4216-A03A-0FDC25BD1AC7.jpeg

You guys ever deal with coyotes learning your calls or just not answering?

I got one spot I know they are at. This was the morning after a hard rain storm the previous day.

Is there a better time of night to call? Right at dusk? Right before dawn? Middle of the night?

I’ve smoked about ten in this general area over the last two years but I know there’s a bunch more it just seems like they’ve wised up to me in this spot.

View attachment 8078080
Don't sit the same spot and play the same sounds.

Wait until you have an odd wind that allows you to hunt it from a totally different angle, and howl at them. Fights, pup, etc. If that doesn't work, get in the thick with them and shotgun them. Play some kitten, or some chicken, or something weird they haven't heard. Some estrus whimpers, or ki-yi stuff pretty quiet and sit for an hour. When they get smart, you have to be smarter.

Don't sit the same spot and play the same sounds.

Wait until you have an odd wind that allows you to hunt it from a totally different angle, and howl at them. Fights, pup, etc. If that doesn't work, get in the thick with them and shotgun them. Play some kitten, or some chicken, or something weird they haven't heard. Some estrus whimpers, or ki-yi stuff pretty quiet and sit for an hour. When they get smart, you have to be smarter.
All good suggestions. And don't discount hand calls on educated coyotes. Calling during denning season is another good way to get some of the educated ones. If all else fails, break out the traps.

I really like to use my mouth Reed Turkey call.. it is a different sound in my area and I get lucky every now and then in areas that receive a lot of pressure. There is something about soft wines and purrs that bring them in on the hunt. Safe Day…

Can't get over how much I love the 250 after hunting with 223 and 204. Nice looking female, might end up tanned if it looks good in the daylight.View attachment 8077847
Is that a re-barreled ctr in the pic… caliber 22-250??? Just curious.. I shoot one each, Tikka ctr in 223 and compact in 22-250,, In Missouri where I hunt my Compact model is my go to rifle,,, 50-55 grains, h380 and varget…
Safe Day..

It's a Yoter C/IRay CH50W. The tripod has been great so far. Used it for deer season, really light and fast to set up.
Another question about the tripod, is that the 322 or the 362 ? I saw the 362 on ebay and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money for the bigger 36mm legs.

Is that a re-barreled ctr in the pic… caliber 22-250??? Just curious.. I shoot one each, Tikka ctr in 223 and compact in 22-250,, In Missouri where I hunt my Compact model is my go to rifle,,, 50-55 grains, h380 and varget…
Safe Day..
It is, put together with cast off parts from other Hide members 👍 I had intended to go 22 creed but a gentleman here said he'd give me an unused 22-250 barrel for the cost of shipping. In SD we can't use any rifle larger than .22 cal to hunt at night.

It is, put together with cast off parts from other Hide members 👍 I had intended to go 22 creed but a gentleman here said he'd give me an unused 22-250 barrel for the cost of shipping. In SD we can't use any rifle larger than .22 cal to hunt at night.
I take it that is a ctr 308 mag / bottom metal…looks dam nice!!!

Loaded up a bunch of 77 tmk to try out this weekend and got skunked…

It was a lot windier than I had planned but I just couldn’t get them to respond. Could hear them yipping in a couple locations and tried a bunch of different sounds with no luck.

Not exactly sure what to do different in that situation. Any advice is welcome.

Got three more Friday night. Did the first one a favor, mange was really bad. First one with mange that I have seen this year. First and second one came in to a rabbit distress after playing vocals. Last one came in directly downwind while playing a breeding fight. Shot him at 282 yards while he was moving away.
042.JPG

046.JPG

048.JPG

Last edited:
The circle of life.

223 Ackley improved 7 twist Benchmark 75 ELDM @ 2955, approximately 560 yards.

It went down at the shot, got up, and wobbled for 100 yds before the lights went out. Perty good exit hole from view in scope.

This is the 3rd coyote on my new hunting grounds/cattle ranch. Hopefully many more to come.
Resized_20230220_110052.jpeg

I agree with SuppressYourself.

Big storm, lasting two days, below zero and the 3rd day breaks bright and clear is a great time to be out calling coyotes. Especially below zero. At least in Wyoming…

They need calories to warm up.

A caveat is if the snow is chest deep or deeper, say to their throat with no crust, it is too much effort for the potential benefit. I’ve watched them come like they are on fire, then peter out in deep snow and just quit.
Done.
Not coming any farther.
Worn out.

“Shit, I’ll kill something over here…”

I LOVE calling coyotes over snow in winter.
Do you need a conservation license to hunt in wyoming? Im right on the border north of you and sometimes hunt right on the border so was wondering

Whats the barrel length? how does the tikka shoot with the short barrel?
I cut it down to 17 inches. I'm not a smith or a machinist so I left room for try number 2 if the thread job started to go bad 😂 I've never chronoed it, just been feeding it factory loaded hornady and it shoot moa. It's not custom gun accurate but it is good enough for coyotes.

I cut it down to 17 inches. I'm not a smith or a machinist so I left room for try number 2 if the thread job started to go bad 😂 I've never chronoed it, just been feeding it factory loaded hornady and it shoot moa. It's not custom gun accurate but it is good enough for coyotes.
I have a compact 7mm08 I want to spin a 250 or a 22 parvo barrel on in the 16.5 inch range for a dog gun, spent all weekend packing a 13+ pound 26 inch 220 swift and that isn't happening again 🤣

Spotted these wapiti & coyotes at 15-1600 yards, cut the distance in half on the coyotes, and could not locate them. Maybe they will be available tomorrow.

The elk are RARE unicorns for this area...

Life is good, but I NEED a phonescop 10 degrees with a breeze taking thes pics and trying to get everything lined up w/cell phone and spotter cooled the fingers.

Elk should be losing its horns any time now...

20230224_102840.jpg

20230224_080539.jpg
20230224_083514.jpg

Last edited:
Spotted these wapiti & coyotes at 15-1600 yards, cut the distance in half on the coyotes, and could not locate them. Maybe they will be available tomorrow.

The elk are RARE unicorns for this area...

Life is good, but I NEED a phonescop 10 degrees with a breeze taking thes pics and trying to get everything lined up w/cell phone and spotter cooled the fingers.

Elk should be losing its horns any time now...

View attachment 8083062

View attachment 8083053View attachment 8083054
Eerily beautiful, like paintings.

Reactions: 338dude and DIBBS
444EC2E3-8A9E-47CC-B651-DCB6E8C19ACA.jpeg

Went out and it was gonna be warm here in the Sonoran desert, but I decided to go into some really thick brush that was about 100 acres in size and see if I could call one out of it into a small opening.

3 minutes into baby cottontail distress, this female came in heading straight for the call. She stopped at 49 yards (lasered it after the fact) and I got her with the shotgun, broadside. Even at that range, she dropped hard, DRT, with the Hornady Magnum Coyote BBs.

Last edited:
Took my son-in-law out Friday for his second night hunt. We got a triple on the first stand less than a mile from his house. Ended up with 5 for the night. Haven't figured out the 87gr V-max, somtimes I can't find a hole, somtimes there is a huge exit, and then I get an entrance I can stick my fist into. They don't run off after they are hit though!!
053.JPG
061.JPG
071.JPG
066.JPG
067.JPG

Last edited:
I have had trouble with the factory 87 vmax 6 creed ammo in my 8 twist 24” bartlein barrel. It will stack them up and then occasionally through an insane flier several inches away. The guys at Short Action Customs believe we’re spinning them too fast (chronoed at 3250 or so) and causing jacket integrity issues. You guys experience this at all?

Anyone tried the 95 Berger hunting bullets on yotes?

I have had trouble with the factory 87 vmax 6 creed ammo in my 8 twist 24” bartlein barrel. It will stack them up and then occasionally through an insane flier several inches away. The guys at Short Action Customs believe we’re spinning them too fast (chronoed at 3250 or so) and causing jacket integrity issues. You guys experience this at all?

That seems like an average velocity for the 87's. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's a jacket issue.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway

I use the factory Hornady ammo 87 gr. VMAX (velocity is 3210 fps) in my Ruger RPR in 6 CM- 24" barrel, which has a 1:7.7 twist rate and have never had any issues whatsoever. Accuracy is excellent, with no fliers. Someone with more knowledge will have to answer this one for you, but that has been my experience. Also, I have never used the 95gr Bergers.

I am running a 18" 1-7.5" twist and they shoot pretty good. I have them at 3230 fps with Rl16.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
I know it’s a double tap from the O’neill Ops thread but why not?!

Two females the same set. They came in about 5 minutes apart. The first one was on the call in about 2 minutes.

Attachments

• C820AA81-D160-43D3-B8D7-C57181CB0EE1.jpeg
    C820AA81-D160-43D3-B8D7-C57181CB0EE1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
I have a question for the trappers. How do you prevent other game animals or domesticated animals from getting caught in the traps?

I would be worried about another animal, that's not in season, getting caught. This would be especially true if trapping was not a legal method for harvesting that animal. I'd hate to check the trap for a coyote but find a deer instead.

My apologies if that sounds like a stupid or loaded question but I don't know much about trapping and pretty ignorant on the subject.

I have a question for the trappers. How do you prevent other game animals or domesticated animals from getting caught in the traps?

I would be worried about another animal, that's not in season, getting caught. This would be especially true if trapping was not a legal method for harvesting that animal. I'd hate to check the trap for a coyote but find a deer instead.

My apologies if that sounds like a stupid or loaded question but I don't know much about trapping and pretty ignorant on the subject.
Deer I'm not worried about as they can pull their foot right out of the trap and I have deer stops on my snares so they can't close enough to catch a deers leg. Did have one dog this season but that had more to do with my brother not keeping an on his dog when they came over to visit even after telling him to do so due to having traps out. His dog was fine a little swelling on his paw that had gone down before they even went home.

Deer I'm not worried about as they can pull their foot right out of the trap and I have deer stops on my snares so they can't close enough to catch a deers leg. Did have one dog this season but that had more to do with my brother not keeping an on his dog when they came over to visit even after telling him to do so due to having traps out. His dog was fine a little swelling on his paw that had gone down before they even went home.
Thanks.

That's awesome! Gotta love the excitement on those girls faces.
My 5 year old is excited for next year already and wants me to teach her how to trap. Says she wants to learn so that when she grows up she wants to teach her husband to trap.

Reactions: DIBBS
My 5 year old is excited for next year already and wants me to teach her how to trap. Says she wants to learn so that when she grows up she wants to teach her husband to trap.
Her mother can teach her how to trap a husband but you can teach her how to trap animals:)

• Haha
Reactions: 338dude