• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Target of opportunity. Deer hunt turned coyote shoot. She came out and sat down 60 yards from the stand and just stared at us. 215 hybrid out of a 300winmag knocked the stuffing out of her.
20231208_182442.jpg

IMG_4972.jpeg

Have had a couple of blank stands and the hunting pressure has increased here in my area of public desert, so out comes the bag of magic tricks. Screaming chicken was used to get this girl curious enough to set up an observation post at 87 yards at my 9 o’clock, facing me perfectly.

Thankfully, she was staring into the sun, so I was able to maneuver my shooting sticks and the Barrett Rec7 into position. Took a breath, steadied the hold and boom…the lights went out. Hit her square in the chest and the 55gr. V-Max went berserk, blowing about a 3-inch diameter hole in the back of her neck and shoulder. It was a good morning in the desert 🌵 😎

Tagged out of deer, so I went coyote hunting.
This dog was one of a pair that came in from a long way's away, only for me to get cocky and try a head shot that missed it by that much, but I ended up dropping it after I spotted it heading back the way it came from and stopped it with a half assed howl.
11-20 Am Yote.jpg

Tagged out of deer, so I went coyote hunting.
This dog was one of a pair that came in from a long way's away, only for me to get cocky and try a head shot that missed it by that much, but I ended up dropping it after I spotted it heading back the way it came from and stopped it with a half assed howl.
View attachment 8292594

Is that a Savage Impulse in a Boyd's Agility stock?

Ok, not the best photos, taken through the spotting scope @1500 yards. These were shot from the canyon bottom and I wasn't going to risk life and limb to get close up photos.
< Old man SMART!> These were within 1/4 mile of the bull the rancher lost about a week ago.

I shot a pair this am @ 450/462 yards and blooded "this" 223 Ackley Improved for the first time. 80 grain amax @2996 MV.

Both coyotes are in the first photo, died within 50 yards of each other. Hunting suppressed is the best!
About an hour later spotted one at 1096 yds bedded. Since I didnt have a magnum today, grabbed the 6x47 lapua and attempted a head shot. Round was close as the coyote exited the ridge immediately... I am guessing elevation was good but windage call was off a tenth or two.

Great day for sure!

20231210_102231.jpg
20231210_101230.jpg
20231208_095346.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty slow morning. Called in a pair on the first stand. Shot the one hanging back in hopes to pull the aggressive one back in, with no such luck. Then blanked the second and third stand.
Left hand tikka.. caliber???

Pretty slow morning. Called in a pair on the first stand. Shot the one hanging back in hopes to pull the aggressive one back in, with no such luck. Then blanked the second and third stand.
Good to see you are being productive again!

Played hide-and-seek with this female this morning. She was stuck in a patch of trees about 150 yards below the house, and I was keeping both ends covered. After a few minutes she just eased out enough to look at me, and caught a 130gr ELD-M through the lungs (6.5x47L). Jumped, made one spin, and ran as hard as she could for about 20 yards before collapsing and rolling.

I've had some epic failures of OTMs in coyotes, but still haven't been let down by the ELD-M.

20231217_094431.jpg

20231217_094516.jpg

Lack of snow and cold is keeping my production numbers down, and gallons of gas per coyote very high. Oh well only money.
I got this one yesterday in the vicinity of the dead bull on one of the ranches I hunt on. Held on the point of the shoulder and was expecting a softball size exit hole with the 80 grain amax, but no visible entrance or exit from 420 yards. I may go back out again this morning, but rainy dense foggy mist currently, then windy later.
20231221_085505.jpg
20231221_085445.jpg
20231221_085648.jpg

What's the preferred method for dispatching the caught coyote?
Are you saving fur?
I'm starting a new hobby, will post results.
@Cookie1125
I've been using a .22 short CB through the lungs. It's been very quick and saves the skull. The first ones I caught early and was more of a removal thing so just saving skulls as the fur wasn't ready yet from here on out as long as it's good fur with no mange or rubs I'll save it and process and tan it myself.

Reactions: DIBBS
IMG_5005.jpeg

Happy New Year, all!! I have always wanted to kill a coyote on New Year’s Day, but for some reason I never have. The drought ended this morning at 8:03 AM, as this girl fell victim to the old lucky pecker from the Lucky Duck Revolt sound library. She snuck up on me too, within 17 yards (lasered it after the kill) before I saw her.

It was pretty thick brush where I was at and she came in within two minutes. I used my trusty Remington 11–87 with 3 inch Hornady BBs.

Missed my first coyote of the year last night. It came in fast and so close I couldn't find it in the thermal right away. Took a couple of running shots. Sorry, no trophy-photo! Good news is the call sequence is working.

Missed my first coyote of the year last night. It came in fast and so close I couldn't find it in the thermal right away. Took a couple of running shots. Sorry, no trophy-photo! Good news is the call sequence is working.
What call sequence? 🤪

What call sequence? 🤪
Lucky Duck, Interrogation howls: coyote pair, single female. Pup distress. This has worked the last 5 of 7 sets. This guy passed within 5 yards of the call, 40 yards from me. Not very good at running shots:cry:

The irony here. I was in a borderwars match where one stage was a mover. It was my best stage! And the mover was a cutout of a coyote!

Last edited:
Lucky Duck, Interrogation howls: coyote pair, single female. Pup distress. This has worked the last 5 of 7 sets. This guy passed within 5 yards of the call, 40 yards from me. Not very good at running shots:cry:
I hear ya! I usually don't shoot at moving dogs anymore. I have better luck calling them back than I do hitting them on the fly.