• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

This pic reminds me of classic horror movie posters…the way the eye expects the coyote to be further away from the camera, the creepy light in the background, the harsh shadow of the rifle. Pretty awesome.

1704730814145.jpeg

Reactions: Charlie112
Just as the sun was rising I scanned my 260 yard hog carcasses this morning. Noticed that the bigger sow had been moved a bit. Came back by the window a couple of times to glass out with my binos.

Sure enough, 10 minutes later and I caught a yote running around back and forth. Grabbed my 6.5x47L critter gitter and got prone on my patio (that was cold). That coyote wouldn't stop. He bounced around from 200 - 300 yards away, never standing still for more than a couple seconds. I kept cranking on my elevation dial as he would pop out behind some brush or a tree, but he never gave me a shot.

Finally as he crossed the hogs again I barked and got him to stop broadside in a patch of brush hogged blackberry bushes. The big patch is about 280 yards, but I guess he was in a lone bush at 254. I dialed to .9 (280), settled in on his heart and let fly.

I recovered from the minimal recoil in time to see the fur fly, watch him jump and spin 3 times while steam blew from his sides, and then fall over before becoming motionless in another couple seconds.

I needed .7 elevation, not .9 - so I hit high lung (about 1-3/4" high). The 130gr ELD-M did its job though, and killed quickly while leaving a quarter size hole. He didn't go 2 feet from where he was shot.

He was an old warhorse. Gray in the face, canines were either worn down or missing, and I bet he went a tad over 40lbs (a rarity here).

I am waiting on my Triggercam to come in so hopefully i can record these instances occasionally. For now, photos will have to suffice. My barrel is 26" long for reference.

20240113_093425-jpg.11845

Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Snout

I went out this morning, primed and ready to go. First stand ……. blank. On my second stand, I decided to try an area that I hunted last year, where I saw a bobcat, but he wouldn’t commit, staying behind some brush, slinking away silently, leaving me with no clear shot.

So, fearing a repeat of last year’s stealthy bobcat disappearing act, I started out with Luckypecker on the Lucky Duck Revolt, then started playing the screaming chicken.

I was positioned in some brush with a clear view to the wash in front of me. About two minutes into the screaming chicken routine, up pops the head of a bobcat. All I could see was his head, as he was peeking up from a wash, his eyes directed toward the decoy, and he was a little distracted, so I was able to shoulder the old faithful Remington 1187 and tried for a headshot at 33 yards. Thankfully, the nickle-plated BBs did their job and his lights went out!!

Such a rush to call in a bobcat, I got all excited and decided, why not try one more coyote stand? I went to a thick, brushy area I had scouted on the On-X map that looked pretty juicy. Sure enough, the repeat of Luckypecker and the screaming chicken worked their magic one more time as this female came charging in hard and was put to sleep at 26 yards with the Remington 1187 and the aforementioned BBs. It was a fun morning in the desert! 🌵
IMG_5027.jpeg

IMG_5020.jpeg

I went out this morning, primed and ready to go. First stand ……. blank. On my second stand, I decided to try an area that I hunted last year, where I saw a bobcat, but he wouldn’t commit, staying behind some brush, slinking away silently, leaving me with no clear shot.

So, fearing a repeat of last year’s stealthy bobcat disappearing act, I started out with Luckypecker on the Lucky Duck Revolt, then started playing the screaming chicken.

I was positioned in some brush with a clear view to the wash in front of me. About two minutes into the screaming chicken routine, up pops the head of a bobcat. All I could see was his head, as he was peeking up from a wash, his eyes directed toward the decoy, and he was a little distracted, so I was able to shoulder the old faithful Remington 1187 and tried for a headshot at 33 yards. Thankfully, the nickle-plated BBs did their job and his lights went out!!

Such a rush to call in a bobcat, I got all excited and decided, why not try one more coyote stand? I went to a thick, brushy area I had scouted on the On-X map that looked pretty juicy. Sure enough, the repeat of Luckypecker and the screaming chicken worked their magic one more time as this female came charging in hard and was put to sleep at 26 yards with the Remington 1187 and the aforementioned BBs. It was a fun morning in the desert! 🌵 View attachment 8322055

View attachment 8322056

That's a nice cat. Congrats.

• Love
Reactions: Desert Raven
An even 265 yards this time off the back porch. I just got a Triggercam, but apparently the "intuitive use" didn't work for me as I managed to record 2 seconds of the trees behind the coyote, and nothing else. I'll have to practice with it like everything else.

She was quartered hard to me, so I put the crosshair on her shoulder and let fly. She crumbled on the spot and never showed a sign of life.

She weighed somewhere around 30lbs.

130gr ELD-M at 2,715 MV.

Front shoulder destroyed. Almost no fur damage. I actually picked her up and looked at her a bit because I thought I might be able to keep the pelt. It was only after turning her the second time that a little blood flowed out the exit. Usually I'm getting significant exit wound damage with this bullet on broadside yotes, but apparently after about 8-10" of penetration the bullet has expended just about everything. This is 4:4 that this has happened with hard quartering shots on coyotes and others, and the 130gr ELD-M certainly does a good job of shedding everything but a little piece of core.

Entry and exits are marked by blue dots, otherwise you wouldn't see them.

20240115_122809-jpg.11848

20240115_122942-jpg.11849

You guys ever have yotes just completely ignore the call?

I’ve had a few instances lately where I can see them and play the call and they don’t even look over. I know it’s loud enough for them to hear it. Sometimes they’ll look over for a sec and then just go back to ignoring it.

I’ve had a few instances lately where I can see them and play the call and they don’t even look over. I know it’s loud enough for them to hear it. Sometimes they’ll look over for a sec and then just go back to ignoring it.

They do that about 50% of the time that I lip squeak at them 😄. Bastards.

Sorry, very limited call experience, and every time that I didn't have success I never saw a coyote to confirm your situation.

They like the girls this time of year… no cheese burger… just tacos!!!!!😂

They’ve done it to me several times the past few months. Prey distress, pup distress, howls…. They just keep trotting in the same direction they were going or keep chasing field mice, etc.

3 from last week came into the field, ran around, sniffed down an entire tree line and around us without ever looking our way

Largest one I can ever remember killing last night.

Stuck my head out real quick to scan my hog carcasses last night for activity. Immediately heard my cows low key grunting - which is an indicator that something is in them and bothering them.

Threw my hunting clothes on and ran out the back door just in time to push a coyote out of the herd. He headed towards the south creek crossing so I ran to the north. Just about broke my neck getting across as there was still a lot of ice, but I made it just in time to get into the shadows (moon was bright enough) and get in front if him...his path created an extra 300 yards of travel, which was the only wathI got ahead of him.

I tried for a double lung just to see what the bullet would do (still the same 100gr Accubond). However he was quartering to me more than I thought. A shoulder shot would have dumped him, and hindsight being 20/20, that's what I should have done.

At the shot he jumped and spun, and I saw hot white through my thermal - indicating blood was coming out. He started to take off, so I just watched and recorded, thinking he'd drop in 10 - 20 yards.

He made it about 75, and I was starting to feel like an ass that I didn't try to hit him again. Finally he fell.

My rifle is 37-3/4" long for reference. Even though he was covered in blood, I still picked him up to get an idea of the weight. I bet he was over 45. I rarely kill any over 40 out here, with the majority of adults being in the 30-35 pound range. That's the second though in the last week that probably broke 40. For those wondering how I got my guesstimate on weight - my wife is a veterinarian, and I probably help put 30 dogs on her scale weekly.

Deer hunting Hunting Air gun Terrestrial animal Machine gun

^^You can see the exit.

When I picked him up and flipped him over the wound was impressive. Definitely not getting a chance to save that pelt.

Organism Plant Terrestrial animal Terrestrial plant Trunk

For sure I hit him too far back since he was quartering and not broadside. I did record the video, but I'm hesitant to upload it because I think it would cause more negative reactions than positive ones. However, that dude damn sure didn't need to be in the middle of my cattle . Good riddance.

I'll attach photos in a bit. Just adding some long-winded babbling here while I have access to a computer instead of my cell phone.

Busted this female at 248 today. I think I got it on my Triggercam...BUT it was still barely daylight and I've noticed that the Triggercam sucks for low-light hunting already. I'll attach a video if it turned out at all.

Traditional hunting shot placement behind the front leg. Wind was 10+ and swirling as usual. However as I was laying on the concrete and trying to figure out the wind as quickly as I could - a nice breeze went up my boxer leg, and froze my leather cheerio (I was laying on concrete in my underwear in 21* weather)...so I knew I had a brief tailwind for a moment. Took at high-percentage shot and she dropped like a sack of shit.

Very small exit wound. Actually the smallest I've had with the 130gr ELD-M on a small canine. I stuck a weed stem in the hole for location reference.

20240119_083914.jpg

20240119_084050.jpg

Last edited:
I switched over to the 90gr varmageddons the other night in my 6.5G running rather aggressively fast and put 3 in the dirt.
In summary... everything has been DRT but it is not fur friendly.

Attachments

• 20231118_230255.jpg
    20231118_230255.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20231118_233103.jpg
    20231118_233103.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231118_230255.jpg
    20231118_230255.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
It's been so slow that I've been over on golfershide.com trying to trade my swaggers for a putter. No luck yet.

If we had run a camera on our last three full days of hunting, you would probably start a go-fund me account to get us coyote hunting lessons.

I show my suck-asses just like I show my successes. It's more realistic. Once you've edited a couple videos you quickly learn to spot the dudes who edit everything to make themselves OAF. It's as dishonest as sitting 5 feet behind your deer to make it look like you just bagged a 600lb whitetail.

Question. please. 2 nights ago I was able to call 2 pairs of coyotes out so I could see them. One pair at around 500, the other at 300. Neither pair would come out of the woodline, regardless of the call sequence. We have at least 12 inches of snow on the ground. Could it be that the dogs were reluctant to travel the deep snow? I know it was not fun for me!

Question. please. 2 nights ago I was able to call 2 pairs of coyotes out so I could see them. One pair at around 500, the other at 300. Neither pair would come out of the woodline, regardless of the call sequence. We have at least 12 inches of snow on the ground. Could it be that the dogs were reluctant to travel the deep snow? I know it was not fun for me!
Maybe they are already establishing territory where you are. Could be that you'll find those two pairs in those locations. If I'm right, you've got em gift-wrapped.

What was the wind doing?
Maybe they have been called before?
Just some thoughts. At least you know where they are. Try different sounds from a different place near the woods. Good luck!

What was the wind doing?
Maybe they have been called before?
Just some thoughts. At least you know where they are. Try different sounds from a different place near the woods. Good luck!
wind was in my favor, but they have been called before. Any opinion on the snow depth?

IMG_0458.jpeg
IMG_0463.jpeg
My son and I got two doubles last night. First pair came in at the same time and the two shots sounded like one.

The next spot we had 4 come running out at about 150 yards and I screwed it up royally. Didn’t draw blood and we should have had at least two easy!🤦‍♂️

Redeemed myself on the last spot and we dropped the only two we saw.

IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0496.jpeg
IMG_0501.jpeg
IMG_0504.jpeg
Took one of my son’s friends out last night after a local rancher told me a new calf was missing its tail. Called in a single and we counted down and shot it. Had two more come in from the opposite direction right away. I barked and yelled at them and they finally stopped. The kid started blasting with my AR and hit one in the front leg. I got him to stop shooting long enough so the wounded one stopped and I dropped it at 400 yards. The first one we shot had mange.

On the last set of the evening we had one try and circle downwind and I dropped it at 290 yards in a 10 mph cross wind. Didn’t hold enough wind and caught him in the eye. Really liking the Impact 4000.

I went out last night and hunted a big piece of state ground. Made 4 stands and had nothing come in. Every stand I was on the were multiple pairs replying between, as close as 600 yards away and further also. First stand sequence was lone female, female invitation, chirps, mating sounds, pissed male howls, then a fight. Had one circle at 600 yards about halfway through set. Second stand sequence was woodpecker distress, Lone female howls, and a few group howls in response to the coyotes to the north. South of me 800 yards there were some coons fighting and making a racket and a coyote moved to check them out but nothing came my way. I packed up and moved closer to the pair north of me and set up about 600 yards away from where I guessed them to be. Started with Lone female howls then went into coon fight. Gave it a rest and started into some group invitations and howls/excite. Didn't see anything on third set. Last stand was pretty much the same as the third. It's been super warm here this winter. Last night was 35 degrees where it's usually 10 or below thus thime of year. I've talked to a few guys about how their doing in my area and all have said it's been way slow, or they have had them replying like crazy but not moving in. This pertains to day and night hunting. What are you guys running into for response? Or if you see something wrong with the sounds I'm using, tear me apart! I know I'm no pro, but it sure is discouraging to have that many dogs around and not get one shot off!

I went out last night and hunted a big piece of state ground. Made 4 stands and had nothing come in. Every stand I was on the were multiple pairs replying between, as close as 600 yards away and further also. First stand sequence was lone female, female invitation, chirps, mating sounds, pissed male howls, then a fight. Had one circle at 600 yards about halfway through set. Second stand sequence was woodpecker distress, Lone female howls, and a few group howls in response to the coyotes to the north. South of me 800 yards there were some coons fighting and making a racket and a coyote moved to check them out but nothing came my way. I packed up and moved closer to the pair north of me and set up about 600 yards away from where I guessed them to be. Started with Lone female howls then went into coon fight. Gave it a rest and started into some group invitations and howls/excite. Didn't see anything on third set. Last stand was pretty much the same as the third. It's been super warm here this winter. Last night was 35 degrees where it's usually 10 or below thus thime of year. I've talked to a few guys about how their doing in my area and all have said it's been way slow, or they have had them replying like crazy but not moving in. This pertains to day and night hunting. What are you guys running into for response? Or if you see something wrong with the sounds I'm using, tear me apart! I know I'm no pro, but it sure is discouraging to have that many dogs around and not get one shot off!
Nobody will ever know, so definitive answers are bullshit, but we can give you some ideas. Easily accessible public land? Those coyotes have probably been called many times, seen their buddies get folded and heard bullets crack over their heads. Hunting pressured coyotes is an art in itself.

Nobody will ever know, so definitive answers are bullshit, but we can give you some ideas. Easily accessible public land? Those coyotes have probably been called many times, seen their buddies get folded and heard bullets crack over their heads. Hunting pressured coyotes is an art in itself.
I would say where I was last night gets hit pretty hard for sure. But even the private around here has been tough this winter. Am I in the right direction with what I'm throwing out there for sounds?

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway

I had a similar experience last week here in SE ND, where it's also been unusually warm. First set I did 3 different howls and had 3 yotes come in a hurry. Buddy messed it up, but that's a different story. I thought I had it figured out. We did 3 more sets and had yotes howling on every set, close enough to come, but none of them did. That includes a set where we moved to within 500 yards. Had them pissed, but they wouldn't budge. Due to no cover, crunchy snow, and too much moonlight, we couldn't get any closer.
I can't explain the totally different reaction between the first 3 and the rest of them.

It's hard to say on coyotes. Sometimes they just don't react to the call. Or they've heard that song and dance. I was in Eastern Colorado calling coyotes with a friend of mine back in December. We killed 6 coyotes before lunch on the first day, and didn't see a single coyote the rest of the weekend. It's like they just shut down.