• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Got this gal right at sundown- last set of the day. Pretty good looking for a desert dog. She came flying in really fast, looking for the baby jackrabbit that was screaming. I got her stopped, finally......right behind a tree, of course. She got wise and started trotting away and once she got into the open, at 77 yards, I turned the lights out with the RPR in 6mm CM. It was a neck shot and she face-planted immediately. Can’t show the damage, but suffice it to say, the 108 gr. ELD-M at 2960 FPS is quite efffective, unless you are saving fur.

802F6C26-FE06-4D5F-A753-F0FB56702F91.jpeg

If you reload your own, try a 30grn Chan Nagel bullet. They work excellent. It's a flat based bullet that turns the lights out. I'm pushing mine 3900fps. If you need chans number pm me and I can get it to you.

Reed's bullets is another one. Kindled gold's use to be great for Coyotes but he sold his dies to Montana maza if I recall out of Texas. Hes started making bullets also again off kindlers specs.

Xdeano
I just got some of 30gr from the guy in Texas after a year with no contact. Could you send me Chad Nagel’s #? Also could you possibly help me with a load for 17 rem 30gr? I’m shooting a ar with a 26” barrel. I’ve been looking on the weekends but haven’t seen any yet.

My farmer friend has missed a couple dogs in his pasture this week. We’re going to take the 6.5 RPR out today and dirt nap him ??

Reactions: TACC
I tried to coyote hunt a couple days ago in SC. What calls are y’all using to get them to come in?

@shax2lex

I have hunted all over the state, but mainly in the NW corner. I am in Oconee Co. This time of year I pretty much just howl. I find trails or roads they run near daily to patrol as breeding season comes on and in a spot I want to call I well scent mark several spots on that trail and put up a trail cam or 2 to see when they are coming through. I use coyote gland trapping scents like Yodel Dog. They will come several times a day usually to sniff it, roll in it and pee near it. Dirt road intersections are great spots. Especially if you find one where they poop in the road all the time.

I will usually kill the breeding pair doing this combined with howling at night. If you are hunting during the day time here in SC, forget anything you see online filmed past Mississippi. You’ll be hunting cover or right near cover. Watch some MFK videos to get a good idea. Here is the kicker. If you notice with MKF they almost always are hunting pups in the summer to late summer before they learn anything. When they are that age they will come blasting in like a grey fox and not work the wind as much. An adult this time of year in the day time will go a mile out of his way to work around you in cover to wind you. That means you either need to start hunting at night or be very careful picking a spot.

So long as it is hitting ~ 45 degs or below at night here, bait can also be productive. I have never had good luck baiting here during the warm months. When I say good luck all my bait piles will have a cam on them to record activity. I have found road kill deer to work best. I also use whole hogs I kill, as well as butcher scraps and fish scraps from a local fish market. If you are only going to hunt at night set your cam for night only. Otherwise you’ll have 40-11 pics of buzzards every card pull. Don’t put it out in the open. Put it just inside cover. Somewhere you can see into but enough cover to make them at ease. Tie the head, and limbs down. Otherwise they’ll pull it into thick cover and eat it there. A small sapling will not do. I had one tug on a deer long and hard enough til it bent over and broke a pine sapling about 3 fingers in width. He then pulled the deer into a ditch out of sight.

Order the book Understanding Coyotes by Michael Huff. Probably one of the most informative books on their biology I have read. I highly recommend it.

If you are just starting, be patient. I deer hunted from ~ 88-2004 and for the most part gave it up in 04 til present for hunting coyotes and feral pigs. I will not lie, it took me a couple years to put 2 and 2 together to the point where I had confidence that I would be successful when I went out. You HAVE to hunt the wind here. You have to take it into account on your site selection and stand approach. That took the longest to accept. I’d have a couple great spots I would want to call on a given day but the wind would be wrong and I would do it anyhow only to get a warning bark/howl from a pine thicket once he winded me.

If I were you I would go to some WMA land and just practice calling. Take a rimfire if you get lucky, but if you educate a coyote..so what. It is on public land, not farm. Nobody here hunts public land for coyotes anyway. Hell I have had the run of GZ1 WMA land for a few years now during deer season. Never once have I saw another coyote hunter out.

Feel free to hit me up about anything. Just don’t get discouraged. It’ll happen and you’ll be hooked. Then it’ll start happening on a consistent basis, then you’ll really be hooked.

My farmer friend has missed a couple dogs in his pasture this week. We’re going to take the 6.5 RPR out today and dirt nap him ??
Been a little slow for me in RALLS county, MO. Hope this cold weather coming will get them moving. My daughter farms and told me she has been seeing a few after 0900 hrs., might start staying a little longer in the field, have been in the slow times before, you just never know. Killed a couple of crows, will try and post pics. SAFE HUNTING TO ALL!! Charlie 112

Reactions: Coy-killa
@shax2lex

I have hunted all over the state, but mainly in the NW corner. I am in Oconee Co. This time of year I pretty much just howl. I find trails or roads they run near daily to patrol as breeding season comes on and in a spot I want to call I well scent mark several spots on that trail and put up a trail cam or 2 to see when they are coming through. I use coyote gland trapping scents like Yodel Dog. They will come several times a day usually to sniff it, roll in it and pee near it. Dirt road intersections are great spots. Especially if you find one where they poop in the road all the time.

I will usually kill the breeding pair doing this combined with howling at night. If you are hunting during the day time here in SC, forget anything you see online filmed past Mississippi. You’ll be hunting cover or right near cover. Watch some MFK videos to get a good idea. Here is the kicker. If you notice with MKF they almost always are hunting pups in the summer to late summer before they learn anything. When they are that age they will come blasting in like a grey fox and not work the wind as much. An adult this time of year in the day time will go a mile out of his way to work around you in cover to wind you. That means you either need to start hunting at night or be very careful picking a spot.

So long as it is hitting ~ 45 degs or below at night here, bait can also be productive. I have never had good luck baiting here during the warm months. When I say good luck all my bait piles will have a cam on them to record activity. I have found road kill deer to work best. I also use whole hogs I kill, as well as butcher scraps and fish scraps from a local fish market. If you are only going to hunt at night set your cam for night only. Otherwise you’ll have 40-11 pics of buzzards every card pull. Don’t put it out in the open. Put it just inside cover. Somewhere you can see into but enough cover to make them at ease. Tie the head, and limbs down. Otherwise they’ll pull it into thick cover and eat it there. A small sapling will not do. I had one tug on a deer long and hard enough til it bent over and broke a pine sapling about 3 fingers in width. He then pulled the deer into a ditch out of sight.

Order the book Understanding Coyotes by Michael Huff. Probably one of the most informative books on their biology I have read. I highly recommend it.

If you are just starting, be patient. I deer hunted from ~ 88-2004 and for the most part gave it up in 04 til present for hunting coyotes and feral pigs. I will not lie, it took me a couple years to put 2 and 2 together to the point where I had confidence that I would be successful when I went out. You HAVE to hunt the wind here. You have to take it into account on your site selection and stand approach. That took the longest to accept. I’d have a couple great spots I would want to call on a given day but the wind would be wrong and I would do it anyhow only to get a warning bark/howl from a pine thicket once he winded me.

If I were you I would go to some WMA land and just practice calling. Take a rimfire if you get lucky, but if you educate a coyote..so what. It is on public land, not farm. Nobody here hunts public land for coyotes anyway. Hell I have had the run of GZ1 WMA land for a few years now during deer season. Never once have I saw another coyote hunter out.

Feel free to hit me up about anything. Just don’t get discouraged. It’ll happen and you’ll be hooked. Then it’ll start happening on a consistent basis, then you’ll really be hooked.
Thanks a ton!

Been a little slow for me in RALLS county, MO. Hope this cold weather coming will get them moving. My daughter farms and told me she has been seeing a few after 0900 hrs., might start staying a little longer in the field, have been in the slow times before, you just never know. Killed a couple of crows, will try and post pics. SAFE HUNTING TO ALL!! Charlie 112

The dogs we saw made 3 appearances, one at 7:30a, 8:30a and again at 9:30 all in the same field. They are moving mid morning for sure!

What kind of calling sequence/animal calls are you planning on using this time of year?

What kind of calling sequence/animal calls are you planning on using this time of year?
I use the wounded game sounds early in a.m. Pretty common, When it gets cold, real cold, I will use a fawn, calf or even coon fight at dusk, just something different that might get them to take a look. All my hunting is around cattle pastures and timber draws, they really like to clean up afterbirth on the new calves and look for any dead ones, dead ones happen, especially when hard weather hits... I really like to vary my volume, that has worked for me.

I use the wounded game sounds early in a.m. Pretty common, When it gets cold, real cold, I will use a fawn, calf or even coon fight at dusk, just something different that might get them to take a look. All my hunting is around cattle pastures and timber draws, they really like to clean up afterbirth on the new calves and look for any dead ones, dead ones happen, especially when hard weather hits... I really like to vary my volume, that has worked for me.

that helps! I’ll be hunting in a week up at our farm, we have cattle also. It’s going to be cold. Daytime high will be 1F. I’ll be hunting field edges and pastures.

Killed this pug looking one on the 8th. She was healthy despite her messed up jaw.

I stopped to check out what I thought was a black one dead on the roadside the other day. It was out in the middle of nowhere, and it didn’t cross my mind it could have been a dog. I’m still not convinced it was 100% dog. Weird looking no doubt. Hard to tell from the pic, but legs, body and tail looked all coyote. He was wet from rain so his tail looks less fluffy, but his head was just different.

Attachments

• 0CEDEFFE-1546-43D8-A025-1786C8DEE488.jpeg
    0CEDEFFE-1546-43D8-A025-1786C8DEE488.jpeg
    872.4 KB · Views: 216
  • CDC59D14-0BF2-4BB3-85DA-CC6AD5DC2CD2.jpeg
    CDC59D14-0BF2-4BB3-85DA-CC6AD5DC2CD2.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Reactions: Geeb
I stopped to check out what I thought was a black one dead on the roadside the other day. It was out in the middle of nowhere, and it didn’t cross my mind it could have been a dog. I’m still not convinced it was 100% dog. Weird looking no doubt.
Sure has the physical characteristics of a coyote, perhaps a mix with a dog. Cool looking though

edited for a better pic. Popped these two last night. One ~ 270 yards, then ~ 20 min later I popped the 2nd in a trot at 307. Both among cattle and both disappeared into a deep ditch. It was black dark out as well.

So these 2 make 5 killed this week, 5 more seen but didn’t have a good or safe shot on.

Attachments

• 03074C23-902B-4464-B144-780E8AA43A19.jpeg
    03074C23-902B-4464-B144-780E8AA43A19.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
not shooting them but very impressive to trap that many in one trapping season. trying kill 1000 coyotes in one season

Last dog with my long barrel rifle, just before health took a dump,,, lite rifles now,,, just something to separate the bs from the apple butter...:ROFLMAO:
Just adding in a note from Missouri, pneumonia took me down for 13 days so far, dam weather, hot, cold damp, I thought I was dressed perfect, dam, be careful fellows, that stuff kicked my ass!!! Weather turning down, hunting should pick up, I am stuck in my portable blind for another week,,, you never know!! Charlie112

Just shy of 400 yards about 1.5 hrs ago.

Maybe my hearing is going bad, but I swear every time that 6mm bullet hits a coyote at distance in the quiet of night it doesn’t make a thud sound. More like this..

Attachments

• 2C298E6F-9FB3-4BC5-B4ED-47FE0FE6ADF8.jpeg
    2C298E6F-9FB3-4BC5-B4ED-47FE0FE6ADF8.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 133
This is so close to my backdoor, if I could have gotten to a rifle, I'd have to use open sights. They were about 30 yards from my house. I usually hear them and they never came this close before or since. The wife took these pictures with her phone while I tried to get in my safe to get a rifle.
coyote1.jpg
coyote3.jpg
coyote4.jpg

This is so close to my backdoor, if I could have gotten to a rifle, I'd have to use open sights. They were about 30 yards from my house. I usually hear them and they never came this close before or since. The wife took these pictures with her phone while I tried to get in my safe to get a rifle.
View attachment 7227264View attachment 7227266View attachment 7227267

They have a den close by. This spring if you see them again, listen closely Aprilish depending on where you live around mid-morning for the pups to whine.

Reactions: TACC and Quest1000
Haven't been out much lately. Having a hard time getting motivated. Here is one I called in behind the house. And one I called in for a buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200112_085641298.jpg
    IMG_20200112_085641298.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20191124_094031849.jpg
    IMG_20191124_094031849.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 156
Finally got to use the new Revolt call yesterday morning. 15-20 mph full value wind and I didn't hold any wind on the first shot. The IMI 77GR is not fur friendly, but my windage is half of my 50gr Vmax load. Second shot to the neck finished him off.
20200118_090632.jpg
20200118_091025.jpg