• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

Typically the largest a male can get is around 33 lbs so a 70 lb one is a monster. I wouldn't want to tangle with even a small one. Next time shoot them. the ranchers in the area will thank you. One of the local cowboys here took a spill last year when his horse stepped into one of the badger holes. Luckily the cowboy didn't get too hurt but the horse had to be put down.
This was on national Forrest. I had no idea if I was even allowed to shoot it.

It sounds like it likely wasn't anywhere near 70lbs then. I've only ever seen a few, and never handled a dead one, but it looked to be double or triple the size of the biggest one I'd ever seen. I definitely don't know what they weigh..

Reactions: TACC and xsn10s
This was on national Forrest. I had no idea if I was even allowed to shoot it.

It sounds like it likely wasn't anywhere near 70lbs then. I've only ever seen a few, and never handled a dead one, but it looked to be double or triple the size of the biggest one I'd ever seen. I definitely don't know what they weigh..
Out in the wild they look much bigger than they are. One reason is they flatten themselves out so they look really wide. Even the small ones could do damage lol

Last spriing I had a fair amount of success using mostly coyote sounds, especially pup distress. This year these don't seem to work as well, even in new spots. In the last couple of weeks I have seen 9 coyotes while walking in, or before calling. So, monday I set up in one of those fields without calling. 10 minutes later a coyote came out on it's own. Last night did the same thing. Same field. This time it took an hour, but 2 came out chasing deer. Anyone else have this happen or use this strategy?

This dick got into one of my herds two nights ago and got them all riled up as I was getting ready for bed.

Frontal shot at about 60 yards with a .308 / 150gr SST. Took all the guts out as it exited. They came spilling out as I picked him up to move him.

20240421_211320.jpg