• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

I like the 60’s but I havent shot a ton of dogs with them to say if they’re any better than the 53’s or 55’s. A dead dog is a dead dog.

I will echo that the Nosler 60’s are hammers. I’ve had very good luck with them until my supply dried up.

Reactions: Krob95
What would make a coyote pack start their vocalizing(yips, barks)? One explanation I heard was they were on the hunt. Is it possible that they are alarmed, maybe by a human presence? What else brings it out?

What would make a coyote pack start their vocalizing(yips, barks)? One explanation I heard was they were on the hunt. Is it possible that they are alarmed, maybe by a human presence? What else brings it out?
I just don't believe anyone can explain vocalizations like that. Some people will claim to be able to translate their vocalizations like they are reading out of a book. Those people are full of shit. They are like dogs, sometimes they bark when they are happy, sometimes they bark when they are mad, sometimes they just bark. It's actually pretty rare to hear coyotes howl without barks mixed in, at least it is where I live. Torry Cook from MFK game calls says they aren't really saying anything. not in the way we think of speech. Probably just conveying emotion.

I agree that most of it seems pretty random, but a warning howl / bark is pretty hard to mistake. It means they're not exactly sure what you are, but you're busted.

Reactions: kswaterfowl
I agree that most of it seems pretty random, but a warning howl / bark is pretty hard to mistake. It means they're not exactly sure what you are, but you're busted.
What he said. It could be a lot of different things. But you can tell when you've been had. The ol booger barking is pretty easy to tell.

Farmer called while planting beans this summer by the house. Comp rifle was the closest thing to me. 200y chip shot for the 6 creed. The 3 on the opening night of KY Night season where we had 5 dogs in the field at 1 time. Shooting suppressed will not mess things up on a stand. I have been telling buddies this for a long time. I finally got 2 of them to witness it first hand and now they have suppressors on order. The last one decided to come into the field while I was deer hunting.

48DC658C-B867-46BB-9337-F2D4895492C0.jpegIMG_6058.jpegIMG_6053.jpeg69164328955__3705CFDB-421D-4F56-834A-A3124C0340BE.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 52
Dave puts out some good videos. I've been wanting to build a 20 caliber barrel burner for some time now, after seeing his .20-250. Just never got around to it.

This reminds me of the idiots that want to pet the Bison in Yellowstone or feed the Grizzlies in Alaska.

• Wow
Reactions: carbonbased
Made 2 stands this morning before we have to go finish Christmas shopping. First stand I went back to a place I called about a month ago and called in 5, but only got 3 killed. I let out 3 howls and in less than a minute a pair pops up 200 yards out. I lip squeaked them to about 100 yards, decided to shoot the female and hopefully get the male to come back. Well I should have just shot the male in the first place, because he was huge. He never looked back after I shot the female, so i never got a shot on him. He must have had a side piece🤣🤣.

Second stand was a bust. The landowners grandson decided to do a little pond hopping in the same pasture I was in. Had a coyote at around 600 yards and working in slowly. But headed out as soon as they started shooting.

Attachments

• 20221217_110630.jpg
    20221217_110630.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 62
Finally decided to take a shotgun on my hunts because I’ve had them come flying in and out so fast lately and can’t get them to stop. I did so grudgingly, as I didn’t want to haul another gun, shells, etc out into the desert.

Long story short, I’m now a shotgun convert. These two came running in full blast and I barely had time to get my shotgun to my shoulder, but I did and managed to whack him at 24 yards with my trusty Remington 11-87 and Hornady nickel-plated BBs. DRT

The second one bolted and I hit pup distress and got her stopped behind a bush at 87 yards. I cranked the Burris RT-6 to 6 power and saw a small window between the brush and the Barrett Rec 7 drilled right through the throat. Two dogs, two guns, two shots, and two dead. I’ll take it.

Attachments

• 430DD726-2122-45C8-A241-AA391FEE911D.jpeg
    430DD726-2122-45C8-A241-AA391FEE911D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 68D55BCE-4BA4-469B-ACFF-164FD6407846.jpeg
    68D55BCE-4BA4-469B-ACFF-164FD6407846.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Coyotes and weather. Are they like deer, and seem to more actively feed before a low pressure area/storm moves in? Does snowfall keep them down? Any trends worth knowing?

Not sure where you are, but when it's cold AF (-10 and lower) they will be more willing to work with you.
IME snow can also influence how far they're willing to travel. If it's deep and soft, they have a hard time getting around, and won't venture as far. If it's hard / crusty where they can run on top of it, they'll come from a mile away.

In my experience they don't seem to be as reactive when it's really cold, or if there is a lot of snow. The best calling seems to before the storms, and after the snow melts.

Reactions: 260284
Not sure where you are, but when it's cold AF (-10 and lower) they will be more willing to work with you.
IME snow can also influence how far they're willing to travel. If it's deep and soft, they have a hard time getting around, and won't venture as far. If it's hard / crusty where they can run on top of it, they'll come from a mile away.
West central wisconsin, where we have 15-18 inches snow, temps 0 or below. Needed something to pass the time n thought coyote hunting would fit. Anxious to have some yotes show up on the thermal.

Reactions: SupressYourself
I agree with SuppressYourself.

Big storm, lasting two days, below zero and the 3rd day breaks bright and clear is a great time to be out calling coyotes. Especially below zero. At least in Wyoming…

They need calories to warm up.

A caveat is if the snow is chest deep or deeper, say to their throat with no crust, it is too much effort for the potential benefit. I’ve watched them come like they are on fire, then peter out in deep snow and just quit.
Done.
Not coming any farther.
Worn out.

“Shit, I’ll kill something over here…”

I LOVE calling coyotes over snow in winter.

Last edited:
Have you played with any other bullets on coyotes from the 6creed? Anyone else? I've shot a handful with the 87gr V-max, and unsurprisingly, it hits them like a poleaxe.
87 vmax is a solid choice. Killed dozens with 243, 6 Creed and 6 Grendel.
I'm not sure about the 108 ELDM yet. Dropped several like a bag of dirt, but had one that must have not expanded at all. He was double lunged and ran 40 or 50 yards before deciding he was dead.

87 vmax is a solid choice. Killed dozens with 243, 6 Creed and 6 Grendel.
I'm not sure about the 108 ELDM yet. Dropped several like a bag of dirt, but had one that must have not expanded at all. He was double lunged and ran 40 or 50 yards before deciding he was dead.
I lost a couple with the 108gr eld-m from a 6arc. Killed quite a few with them too, but it was inconsistent. I watched my buddy hit a deer with that 105gr black ammo at arc speeds a week or two ago, and it penciled through like an fmj.

Shot one the other night but wasn’t able to recover it as it ran into some really thick stuff. Was worried I missed but went back and watched the video and this is the frame right before the shot so I think he’s down.

593424E3-188E-4327-862A-65717B6CDB77.jpeg

Was out this afternoon deer hunting and heard them yipping at dark so I checked one of the fields and there was a group of 5. Didn’t have my caller but managed to move into shooting range on them. Left no doubt on this guy.

16F76697-7A31-4FF4-AEDD-017171E73AD9.jpeg

I use 69gr SMKs in front of 24.8gr of Xterminator out of a 12.5” Noveske barrel.

Drops them.

Used to use Federal Fusion loaded ammo but ran out and realized the 69gr SMKs did a fine job.

I figured out how to get video off of a NOX35 so I am stoked to start throwing up compilation vids once deer season is over.

View attachment 8034730
That 12.5" is way sexier than my 14.5"

I use 69gr SMKs in front of 24.8gr of Xterminator out of a 12.5” Noveske barrel.

Drops them.

Used to use Federal Fusion loaded ammo but ran out and realized the 69gr SMKs did a fine job.

I figured out how to get video off of a NOX35 so I am stoked to start throwing up compilation vids once deer season is over.

What is the optic height for the aimpoint? I dig that setup. NOX 35 with an ACRO P2 would be sick too.

I need all the specs on this rifle. It is exactly what I want. Beautiful.
Thank you.
A local guy here put it together for me.
It's built buy Ledford rifles here in central oregon.
Defiance built the action for them. It's a 22" shilen #4 contour barrel. The stock is a mcmillan htg in sonoran camo.
The scope is a nightforce nx8 2.5-20x50.
I don't know the weight but I love it.

What is the optic height for the aimpoint? I dig that setup. NOX 35 with an ACRO P2 would be sick too.

I don’t have it on anymore. I tried to cut weight down by removing things like the suppressor cover, BUIS, etc so I can’t measure it but it was identical in height to an RMR on top of an ACOG.

I remove the bipod when I’m not at my house since I don’t use it in blinds or tree stands and it’s decently lighter now. Really helps when on the ground and scanning with the rifle up.

Also added an eye shutter guard to stop from being blinded while walking when it’s slung.

Have gun will travel - if it pays well:)

Got out with my son Sunday night. Hit 4, found 3, number 4 was on the last stand and neither one of us wanted to walk to it across a creek. The 87 gr VMax at 3230 hits hard. Not going to many runners this year. The little female took the 87 at 286 yards.

Killed another one with the shotgun Saturday morning on my first stand. It ran into a plum thicket, so no pictures of it.
063.JPG

058.JPG
060.JPG
064.JPG
065.JPEG
062.JPG

The coyotes are winning, the coyotes are winning...:LOL: Most I am spotting are 6-800 yards away and start moving as soon as they hear a vehicle. I haven't had any luck on a few sets of calling, but snow conditions until now have kind of precluded much travel for them. They are moving around now.

I should have taken a big gun with me today... spotted 2 on the side of a canyon at ~2100 yards. Hmmm 300 WM or 338 Lapua :unsure: ?
Go big or go home...

I Saw two others- one went over a ridge at 1000+ and the other was 800 ish but no place to get off of a public highway....

Not getting any predator shooting in-not from lack of trying but life is good regardless. Pictured is my impromptu range from yesterday, I killed a bunch of rocks.

I'm hoping that my rancher friend will hopefully add some bait in to lure them into reasonable range-they gotta be REAL hungry. The fat old man may put on some snowshoes tomorrow and hike into the canyon.

M A Y B E !
20230102_104836.jpg

@kirsch has probably used one more than anyone else.
Right at 900 coyotes in the last 2.5 winters hunting solo using Bering thermals. They work well, and the Super Yoter is awesome. It comes in 3 lens size options for everything from close work with a 1.4x base magnification with a super large 18° FOV with the 25mm, the 35mm in the middle, and the 50mm at 3x and a 8.5° FOV. Here is an example of the 50 at work.

Thanks for the mention as I didn't know this thread existed here.

Last edited:
Right at 900 coyotes in the last 2.5 winters hunting solo using Bering thermals. They work well, and the Super Yoter is awesome. It comes in 3 lens size options for everything from close work with a 1.4x base magnification with a super large 18° FOV with the 25mm, the 35mm in the middle, and the 50mm at 3x and a 8.5° FOV. Here is an example of the 50 at work.

Thanks for the mention as I didn't know this thread existed here.

I'm surprised you missed it! I usually catch your videos on YouTube but will watch for them here now 😉

Shot 3 last night and recovered 2. Learned a lesson as well.

First stand I had a single show up and downed him.

At a later stand I had a pair show up so I shot the first one. He started spinning so it thought “he’s down” and I moved to the next one. It ran to about 175yds, stopped and I shot him too. Went back to grab the first one and nowhere to be found. He ran after spinning around several times. I should have put another one on him before moving on.

08520053-17BA-4609-A8E6-D145659D9AE3.jpeg

6AF4B5D2-2193-433B-B2E3-4C3A08E8DF11.jpeg