• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Let’s start a coyote thread.

IMG_1472W (2).jpg

I am loaded in pups that have just left the den here. Was about to shoot one last night (thermal), but I was looking for a boar that just showed up on my place. I'm glad I passed on the young (like ~10lb) coyote, as I spotted my target boar 60 seconds later.

Drug the boar to 200 yards exactly below my porch this morning. Hopefully will make some good coyote bait this weekend.

since I’m fairly new to coyote hunting (first denning season) what’s the general take on young pups that have started leaving the den?

I’m sure the farmer I lease from wants them all eradicated. I’ve always hunted game animals so juveniles have been off limits.

What say you? Leave them to grow or fair game?

since I’m fairly new to coyote hunting (first denning season) what’s the general take on young pups that have started leaving the den?

I’m sure the farmer I lease from wants them all eradicated. I’ve always hunted game animals so juveniles have been off limits.

If you get a shot, take it ! But I know what you’re saying we have a farm in Kentucky where we hunt and the farmer wants all of the deer killed. He don’t care if they have spots or not.

You will never damage the population, so kill every single one that offers an opportunity. You won't even scratch the population in a small farm unless you're trapping, calling, dog hunting and you have a helicopter. You're almost only ever going to see the brave or the dumb. The intelligent dogs aren't running out into the middle of a field under most circumstances. Kill them with milk on their lips. At least that one won't eat his 23+/- deer fawns per year.

I kill them all, no exceptions. They grow to be nuisances in just a few more months.

I've got at least 3 running around here right now. I was going to pop the one the other night, but saw my target boar just as I was about to make my final approach.

Found a female trying to pull my boar from the other night away.

Put a 150gr Accubond LR into her from a hard quartering to at 200, using my grill as a rest. 7mm RM. Was curious as to how well this bullet would expand on smaller game. It obviously did well in this case.

Missed my mark (point of shoulder) by 2", but still got the near-side lung and eviscerated her. She flopped once and that was it.

Photo angle is to hide gut pile.

That boar stinks!

20230827_075750.jpg

Down town Galveston at the docks,

20201102_180259 (1).jpg

Out side the back yard of a friend of mine in Galv. coyote/red wolf hybrids interacting with his wolf hybrid

20230827_071855.jpg

he said she brings them back to play with

20230827_071912.jpg

Got frigging lucky this morning. Was getting ready to take the girls to school, and the wife started shouting "coyote" from within our bedroom.

Raced outside and of course...cows in the way. But I could see the coyotes ears over the top of one cow with the layout of the land where it was at on a slight knoll. The cows started moving again, and I had about a 4' window between them so I just dropped prone and chambered a round.

As soon as that window appeared I stuck the crosshairs on the coyote's chest and squeezed. It fell over like it had been shut off. Took the girls to go see it, and I'll be damned if it wasn't dead, so it got a finisher in the chest at 15 yards with my pistol.

Oops. My rifle was still on my 230 yard zero from the last coyote I'd popped with it. This shot was at about 130 yards...so I hit about 4" high.

Fortunately it was a hard quartering to shot, so even though I missed my spine junction, I got enough of the neck to put it down. I'm actually amazed it was still alive with the amount of carnage...but the bullet did miss the spine, even though it ripped a huge bloody hole of flesh and muscle.

I'm still a fan of the 130gr ELD-M out of the 6.5x47. This failure was on me.

Of all the shit I've killed, I pulled a moron in my haste this morning and didn't check my elevation. I just got lucky. I'll take it with my lesson learned today.

Bullet entry on the left:
20230908_074339.jpg

Some carnage, and my pistol shot behind the front leg.

20230908_074249.jpg

The 130gr ELD-M exit. They open up quickly at closer ranges.
20230908_074312.jpg

F@ck me.

It isn't ending. 14 coyotes in the first 12 days of this month. It isn't ending either. I stepped out last night at 9pm to look over a hog carcass a few hundred yards below the house - 4 more damn coyotes on it. Managed to sneak down there and shoot two.

I killed 48 in the first 12 months after I retired and moved out to the ranch. For the next 5 years, it was 10-12/year. Guess I had just been slipping and not doing my due diligence. Realized something was wrong when I put up my game cameras at the end of August on the one side of the ranch and didn't have a single fawn. All deer coming through were followed by coyotes within 20 minutes. That is some poor management practices on my part.

To make matters worse, our first calves started hitting the ground last week.

No sleep for this guy for a while.

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my phone, but they look like dead coyotes.

F@ck me.

It isn't ending. 14 coyotes in the first 12 days of this month. It isn't ending either. I stepped out last night at 9pm to look over a hog carcass a few hundred yards below the house - 4 more damn coyotes on it. Managed to sneak down there and shoot two.

I killed 48 in the first 12 months after I retired and moved out to the ranch. For the next 5 years, it was 10-12/year. Guess I had just been slipping and not doing my due diligence. Realized something was wrong when I put up my game cameras at the end of August on the one side of the ranch and didn't have a single fawn. All deer coming through were followed by coyotes within 20 minutes. That is some poor management practices on my part.

To make matters worse, our first calves started hitting the ground last week.

No sleep for this guy for a while.

I'll post some pictures when I get back to my phone, but they look like dead coyotes.
Yeah I wanted to hunt yotes right now to help out the ranchers. Here in Oregon we should be in calving season too. But according to Fish and Wildlife I can't be out there during deer, elk, or antelope season with a centerfire rifle hunting yotes. Although others including the local law enforcement said I can be. That they need to be able to prove I was hunting something other that yotes. I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Yeah I wanted to hunt yotes right now to help out the ranchers. Here in Oregon we should be in calving season too. But according to Fish and Wildlife I can't be out there during deer, elk, or antelope season with a centerfire rifle hunting yotes. Although others including the local law enforcement said I can be. That they need to be able to prove I was hunting something other that yotes. I'm not sure I want to risk it.

We have a few rules surrounding removal of nuisance animals like hogs and coyotes. This year we (OK) finally allowed thermal devices for coyote shooting...but it has to be on a property with a state farm tax ID apparently...so no going out to public land and blasting away.

As far as the safety of my animals, and my land...well...I'm not going to advertise, but I police my own and try to adhere to all local and state laws while in the process. Up until this year, you were cleared hot by any means as long as you caught the nuisances killing livestock or poultry.

Last edited:
We have a few rules surrounding removal of nuisance animals like hogs and coyotes. This year we (OK) finally allowed thermal devices for coyote shooting...but it has to be on a property with a state farm tax ID apparently...so no going out to public land and blasting away.

As far as the safety of my animals, and my land...well...I'm not going to advertise, but I police my own and try to adhere to all local and state laws while in the process. Up until this year, you were cleared hot by any means as long as you caught the nuisances killing livestock or poultry.
Yes, and it has cost me too much money on NV and thermal. haha. Totally worth it though. I calve in the spring and my loss rate will surely go down.

Yeah i asked them, which I think they are wrong, if I could hunt on private lands and they said no. Again local law enforcement said that's incorrect. One rancher lost over 9 calves this spring. That pays for thermals in my book.

Reactions: 338dude
Yeah i asked them, which I think they are wrong, if I could hunt on private lands and they said no. Again local law enforcement said that's incorrect. One rancher lost over 9 calves this spring. That pays for thermals in my book.
Here in Oklahoma during Deer Gun season is the only time that it isn't permitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and xsn10s
Took the new .223 out for hogs. Overcast, very dark out. First thing I do before I walk to the stand is scan the field in front of the house. Boom … coyote, or some type of predator… confirmed it was a coyote and tried to move to it.

It was moving away from me, marking its territory. It was 300+ yards away when I managed to turn on a YouTube “cottontail distress” video on my iPhone.
Coyote turned around and ran straight back to me.
I wanted to let him get close, as I this rifle is new to me, so I wanted to increase my odds of success. I lost sight of him as he went down by the pond, but he popped up after minute.

Optic is Primary Arms PLXc 1-8x with a Steiner C35 clip-on and Triggercam 2.1

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

Last edited:
Back to the 6.5x47 and 130gr ELD-M.

Just 130 yards off my back porch this evening as I was serving the girls supper.

I had plenty of time to make sure everything was dialed properly. She gave me a hard quartering to shot.

Bang, thud. Zero movement.

Bullet entered in the near shoulder, broke the leg, and exited on the opposite side after about 12-14" of penetration. Bullet skipped off the back leg, clearly without a lot of energy left.

Red fox Fox Carnivore Dog breed Fawn

Plant Organism Grass Fawn Adaptation

Fawn Terrestrial animal Liver Snout Working animal

A double double.

Well, almost...couldn't find the first coyote I shot, so only three recovered.

Went out to look for pigs as I have them on the ranch again. Stepped out my side door and looked down into the pasture for no good reason. There were at least 3 coyotes roaming across it. I was irritated.

Ran out well ahead onto another pasture and managed to get in front of a pair that was headed to our new calves. Thumped the first in tall weeds, and amazingly the second just stood there for a moment- obviously she was new to these parts. Thumped her too. Unfortunately for me, she was the only one I could find in the brush.

Went and looked for pigs in another pasture, and I'll be danged if there wasn't another pair working its way to the new calves. This time I only had to walk a hundred yards to get directly into their path. Thumped both of them and was able to find both as we'd just brush hogged there.

Plant Fawn Terrestrial plant Grass Tail

Grass Carnivore Dog breed Terrestrial animal Tail

That makes 23 shot and 22 recovered for this month. I keep thinking that it will calm down, but it hasn't yet.

I learned tonight that coyotes will scavenge and consume off of other coyote carcasses.

One of the coyotes I popped last month on video was in the process of eating on about a 5-day old coyote carcass from a previous kill of mine. Unfortunately, I shot that coyote through the heart and he ran ~45 yards before dying (instead of giving me an impressive kill) and ruined my evidence.

Just chased a pair a good 700 yards across a pasture and meadow tonight before the female stopped to eat on something near my cows. I got within 90 yards and thumped her head on because there were some cows on an angle in the background.

She flopped and twisted a couple of times before dying, but only moved about 5 feet from where I hit her. The 6.8 and 100gr Accubond blew an impressive hole and eviscerated her.

What was she eating on? The male coyote that I mentioned above. So the cannibal was also cannibalized...fitting.

I know they eat dogs. I've killed another two big ferals in the past month, and both of those carcasses are completely gone (dragged off somewhere). I did not know they would eat other coyotes though. Maybe that's why the are still coming? The pastures stink of dead coyote. Neither "cannibal" coyote had any signs of injury, sickness, or starvation.

Anyways, I learned something. Figured I'd share.

The second cannibal.

20231001_212748-jpg.11208

The first cannibal that she was scavenging off of (remains are on the left).

20231001_212809-jpg.11209

Got a couple last night that ran over the call

View attachment 8245072
View attachment 8245073
Man, someone’s rocking a cool Colossus of Constantine look lol. Just look at that cleft Superman chin!

It’s like you’re both sitting in the Colosseum’s best seat and casually voting “die” to the gladiators (or coyotes) in the ring.

798B62CD-4909-4CA0-9F49-A4E9DAA14292.jpeg

45CB0CA9-03D1-47CC-BD7B-BBCF4931FD4C.jpeg

I can just hear it in my head…

Victorious gladiator: Straddling fallen foe. Looks up at the Emperor @Pat McGroin for yes/no answer.

Emperor Pat McGroin: Claps hands loudly with delight. “Ha ha ha! This amuses me greatly! You may dispatch the coyote, gladiator 👎.” Swivels head angrily. “MORE WINE, wretched slave!!!”

That’s the famous gigantic statue depicting the Roman emperor Constantine the Great if anyone is confused.

Good shooting!

And yeah, I know “thumbs down” probably didn’t happen. But it’s funnier that way!

Last edited:
I had one stop on top of the call tonight. First coyote the fall and first kill with the Thermion 2 XQ50 pro lrf. I'm having troubles getting the video posted but here's a picture.

Attachments

• 20231009_204836.jpg
    20231009_204836.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24