• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Let's see your NV gear and kill pics

that is a nice weapons set up Vic. One of mine is almost identical except where you have the T=70, I have a PVS-24. One of these days I will have a thermal clip on, but not yet.

Good luck with those coyotes!!

Thank you. The gun shown is a pretty special one, well not the upper itself which is a Colt 6920, but the special holographic coating from Kat Coatings. The gun is almost 6 years old now with over 25K rounds through it and I have yet to see a paint chip except on the ejection deflector which has a nick! The durability in my mind can be considered the "special" part in some eyes, but in mine is the holographic paint aspect of this gun. In different lighting conditions, the gun takes on different shades of reflection and at night is really (shines...well not so,) it simply disappears under NODS even more so when hit with IR lum along with it's thermal signature.

Same gun below under different lighting condition.

PICT1262-1.jpg

PICT1259.jpg

PICT1217.jpg

Under NODS during initial testing many years ago. Far left
PICT1357.jpg

As you can imagine, the coating has done well over the years with other types of folks.

Vic

FLIR T-70 took down five hogs in the backyard last night. Then while I was picking them up the sow charged me in the dark and shot her three times with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm, she got away and will go look for her this morning. It was total carnage, like shooting ducks in a bathtub with the FLIR and the SIG 716....

If you have a hog or a coyote problem, FLIR will simply take care of it for you!

5%20Hogs%20Grapple.jpg

SIG%20716%205%20Hogs.jpg

Bullet.jpg

Here is a 35MB WMV file of the thermal shootout out to 225 yards:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG 716 Precision/5 Hogs/5 Hogs.wmv

So this is my first post here. Anyway I’m reading here now for more than a year and the information provided helped me a whole lot selecting my gear.
Here’s what I’m ended up with:
NVM-001 with a decent MX10160A.
Took the stuff out first time Saturday night. Unfortunately my Ops Core Base Jump is backordered until end of January so I had to handheld the MUM behind the EOTech.

60 yards, HK MR308, Hornady SST 165grs

2013-12-22004017_zpsc14f30e3.jpg

2013-12-22012336_zps1f914df7.jpg

Andre

Let's see your NV gear and kill pics

That's a mean looking pig!

Last edited:

I will try and dig up a few pics of the hogs I've killed these last couple months with my xbow, and pvs14s.

Last edited:

Double post please remove

Last edited:

Shot this one last night, he was most unhappy with me breaking his front leg! That's a Raytheon w1000 my dad's cousin is letting me use. Shot another out of that bunch. He was only 180-200 and not worth a picture. This guy is right around the 300# mark and is as big a boar as we have in this area

Here's a closer shot of his teeth, may need to come back for his skull so those don't put out a tractor tire!

Here's one I shot a few hours earlier in the light on a different place

He wasn't quite as big as the thermal shot boar

y5e2adu9.jpg

One of or clients with an Ambush 6.8 and a red flash light killed this huge sow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yea...no trick camera work or Photoshop....just a big ass central GA hog. When they processed this hog there was three hundred pounds of left overs. Ie: skin fat head and guts

I finally upgraded HELGA

At long last, I managed to set aside one Torch Pro illuminator for myself. My clients kept buying them off me before I could set my own aside. Here is the final iteration of the HELGA going into 2014. It now wears an ITT Pinnacle NE PVS 14 w/ 3X magnifier, FLIR M24, and TNVC Torch Pro. I also added visible laser pointer, so that the trigger actuates the laser, and its zeroed in the center of the FOV of the 14 and Torch Pro.

With the devices in this position, I have thermal in use at 90 degrees rotated, then flip the wrist to upright for I^2, with magnification to positively ID the animal. I can rotate the focus wheel on the bezel of the TP with the fingers of my left hand while holding the stock, and then actuate the pressure switch with the thumb of my right hand. Its all right there. NOTHING I have ever used works like this system or as fast. It is my hillbilly fusion device until I have true fusion in this size package. Special thanks to TNVC and FLIR for the help in getting these bad ass devices into action at WRR. I've been using HELGA for almost 6 years now, to guide hog hunts and it still works.

So, to lay it all out (this is all on one device) Thermal, 3 X magnified PVS 14, IR illuminator, laser pointer, and focusable beam for close in flood or long range spot applications.

Advantages:

1) Never have to sweep a weapon to spot

2) I have magnification (which greatly helps to pick out a hog versus calf), which doesn't work with a helmet, not to mention you can't get two devices on one helmet, practically speaking.

3) I have all the controls for all devices at my fingers while holding the HELGA stock in any position.

4) this gives me every available technology on one spotter device, which maximizes and magnifies the potential and specific attributes of each modality.

5) with this device, the debate over magnified night scope, versus laser on rifle and helmet mounted 14 becomes virtually moot, for us. I give my clients suppressed 6.8 SBR's with 4 X D-740's because they only need to raise the rifle and shoot when I tell them we are in range. I can paint the targets for them with either the pointer or Torch to illuminate so they don't have to fumble with switches and this way, even the uninitiated don't have to learn the idiosyncrasies of a helmet and laser, the first time they hunt at night.

"There they are"....they raise their rifles....point... paint (if necessary)....NOW!.....bang....

Last edited:
Some of my last few dogs.
D740 w/K2 IR.
Flir PS32 for scanning/detection.
MMR AR15, .223 lays em out.

that is a nice set up !!

How much illumination can you get from the torch. I am talking identifiable illumination.

thx

I tested this unit at the ranch on my 900 yard shooting range, and could ID my silhouette targets at 600. I have since been spotting hogs and deer on the range at night, and can usually ID a deer positively out to 700 on a clear night.

The ability to focus the bezel is critical because you have several illuminators in one, with spot to flood variability. At the flood setting the beam is diffuse enough that it does not wash out the reticle on the D-740, and that's important because I like to set it at the lowest brightness setting where I can just see it on the target. This allows for more precise shot placement.

emumuga8.jpg

180# boar hog
Ambush/ DD 6.8 spc
Armasight nemesis qs Gen 2+
Streamlight supertac IR

6yhehypy.jpg
9a4ahypa.jpg

Same guns as my other posts in here.
Armasight nemesis Gen 2+ and an Eotech 556 nv with a pvs14. Ambush rifles.

I tested this unit at the ranch on my 900 yard shooting range, and could ID my silhouette targets at 600. I have since been spotting hogs and deer on the range at night, and can usually ID a deer positively out to 700 on a clear night.

The ability to focus the bezel is critical because you have several illuminators in one, with spot to flood variability. At the flood setting the beam is diffuse enough that it does not wash out the reticle on the D-740, and that's important because I like to set it at the lowest brightness setting where I can just see it on the target. This allows for more precise shot placement.

dont want to clog up this thread, but how is the pattern on your torch? When its focused down to the 1 degree setting is it perfectly round? Mine it starts to look kinda square/diamond and it has a little dimmer spot right in the center of the concentrated spot. trying to determin if thats the way its supposed to be or not.

CJG

dont want to clog up this thread, but how is the pattern on your torch? When its focused down to the 1 degree setting is it perfectly round? Mine it starts to look kinda square/diamond and it has a little dimmer spot right in the center of the concentrated spot. trying to determin if thats the way its supposed to be or not.

CJG

Hi CJG,

Perfectly normal what you're seeing. Happy New Year.

Vic

This was a 265 pound boar. He was probably over 6 years old because of how worn his teeth are.

Short video clip of shooting the boar.

" This was a 265 pound boar. He was probably over 6 years old because of how worn his teeth are ".
Whats the deal with that 1st shot on the Vid. ? . Looks like it was on the money with the Ret . ?

It was on the money, but just a little to the left and in the shoulder. Hogs, like many big game animals, will run even after a good shot. The second shot hit him in the left rear hind quarter and the third was a miss. I may have flinched a little on the shot and pulled left...Who knows. He dropped in the end.