• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk Nylon Gear

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I want to hear from guys that are active in the shooting world. I want to get input from guys that run all over the place, wether it be hunting or match shooting, or whatever. What is the one peice of nylon kit that you wished you had, but can not find it.

It seems like it all has been done, in one form or another. But so many guys doing so many different things, there must be one essential peice of kit that everyone needs, but no one offers.

Who ever can come up with what I think is the best idea, I will make them one at no charge. This is not really a contest, this is more like a brain storming session, one that used to take place here a lot, a long time ago, but I just dont see it taking place any longer.

It can be your idea for pretty much anything, slings designs included, because I know there are a couple guys like Tony B., and Lonewolf, and others that would love to get some shooters takes on how to make a better mousetrap.

In the spirit of creativity, carry on.

Re: Lets talk Nylon Gear

A damn stock pack to fit a Ar15 A2 stock and clear the charging handle! One just like a regular Eagle stock pack.

How about a 3-point sling that breaks down into a precision sling like tabs. Only having to disengage one buckle to change back and forth.

A decent camo tarp with eyelets for hanging or staking. Light, waterproof, and easily packable. Multicam would be my first choice, or at least OD. With a nice little tag that says "Made in the USA"

Redman makes a stockpack for the AR15, but without the seude panel, mostly because of our crusade and utter failure to find the material.

The 3 point sling idea is exactly what I had planned on making, and actually talked to Tony about sending me that materials to make one, I wanted a 3 point, but one that will atcually assist in a slung up position.

Great first response!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A decent camo tarp with eyelets for hanging or staking. Light, waterproof, and easily packable. Multicam would be my first choice, or at least OD. With a nice little tag that says "Made in the USA"</div></div>

what kind of dimensions are you talking about? because you have just described a TAB mat
wink.gif

1) A pack to fit ghillies in- but has mesh in spots to allow venting so mold does not grow.

Needs to be light weight, easy to open/close, fastex buckles, not zippers. Molle webbing would be nice. Small pouches are not necessary, just something simple, but effective.

A panel that will fit MOLLE with magazine pouches that will hold 8 P-Mags in a sideways mount so they can be pulled out naturally with the left hand to the left instead of UP as in 'SOP' for so many Vests(IBA, OTV et al).
Simply take your left hand and move it like you are pulling a mag that sits across your chest. I know it works because that is how I mounted my stuff with 550 cord on my OTV.
So you can see what I am thinking(My DIY)

IOTV.jpg

This is/was the fastest way to reload for me. It's a natural arm movement not the pull upward UP your chest which is not natural motion but SOP for so many military units so everyone can be uniform...which I bet has made quite a few come close to getting killed once or twice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A panel that will fit MOLLE with magazine pouches that will hold 8 P-Mags in a sideways mount so they can be pulled out naturally with the left hand to the left instead of UP as in 'SOP' for so many Vests(IBA, OTV et al).
Simply take your left hand and move it like you are pulling a mag that sits across your chest. I know it works because that is how I mounted my stuff with 550 cord on my OTV.

IOTV.jpg

This is/was the fastest way to reload for me. It's a natural arm movement not the pull upward UP your chest which is not natural motion but SOP for so many military units so everyone can be uniform...which I bet has made quite a few come close to getting killed once or twice</div></div>

With the set up of most vests and or chest rigs, dont the majority of them zip or buckle up the center?, or would that be something that would work on most military set ups?

2)A rig for ghillies that has molle on the sides to put gear so you don't have to crawl on mags and what not, 2-4" under armpits to 2-4" above hip sounds good. The front is just cordura and the sides have webbing on it, just 2 straps on the back.

Two ideas -
-A molle style shell holder that holds two or three shotgun shells that can be mounted on a tac. vest. Shells need to be in vertical position so they can be pulled up out of loops.

-A molle style holder for two chem light sticks. Sticks need to be in vertical position.

These are two items I know alot of SRT type LEO guys would like to have on a tac vest.

A piece of nylon that will cover up the "gap" on the iPhone 4's antenna. Seems everyone needs one.

Add molle on the back too.

Sorry had to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A decent camo tarp with eyelets for hanging or staking. Light, waterproof, and easily packable. Multicam would be my first choice, or at least OD. With a nice little tag that says "Made in the USA"</div></div>

what kind of dimensions are you talking about? because you have just described a TAB mat
wink.gif
</div></div>
I was talking 9-10' square, for use as a camping shelter or hide, or on the ground to catch those flying semi-auto cases.

a back pack that can be ran like a normal back pack or modified by clipping into fastex buckles attached to your body armor... something I just came up with off the top of my head.

Modular dope card wrist band... since finding these at sporting good stores sssuuuuuckkkks ... and makem in proper camo.

basically take the portion that holds the index cards/whatever have the hook portion of velcro on the back and it can be added/removed from the wrist band so you dont have to run a wrist band if you dont want... put in your pocket / attactch it to your rifle or whatever has loop velcro on it.

I wear long sleeve shirts so having the ability to add loop to my sleeves then attack that if I wanted to would be nice.

wristband.jpg

Perhaps offering a modular style of the Tactical Sniper Vest. Something like the GEN 1, but separate Camelback and backpack that could attach either with fastex or Malice clips. Most of the time the camelback is all I need, but for hunting the Gen 3 looks perfect. Interchanging would eliminate putting a separate pack on top of a Gen 2, and the corresponding extra straps over the shoulders and bulk.

I know I could use the Gen 3 all the time, but just my .02. It would also mean 1 common base vest to make.

And a cordura cover for the Bushnell FLP spotter would be awesome. I imagine that it would be pretty popular especially in coyote or multicam. The design of the stock one is ok, but the black, almost neoprene material leaves much to be desired.

A member just sent me his neoprene cover for that Bushnell to tear apart and make a pattern out of and make him one in coyote, that will be an available product shortly, as I will be starting on that within the next week or two.

The one you have is for the larger one, the 20-60x80. I think he may be referring to the smaller one, the 15-45xwhatever it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one you have is for the larger one, the 20-60x80. I think he may be referring to the smaller one, the 15-45xwhatever it is.</div></div>

Correct, I have the 15-45x60 Tactical w/ Mil reticle. You are more than welcome to tear this versions' cover of mine apart if you wish for patterning and or T&E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A decent camo tarp with eyelets for hanging or staking. Light, waterproof, and easily packable. Multicam would be my first choice, or at least OD. With a nice little tag that says "Made in the USA"</div></div>
+1
Or poncho that doesn't cost your left nut. Multicam for sure.

Nick,

Great idea to solicit for new pieces of kit to make.

As for these ideas:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) A pack to fit ghillies in- but has mesh in spots to allow venting so mold does not grow.

Needs to be light weight, easy to open/close, fastex buckles, not zippers. Molle webbing would be nice. Small pouches are not necessary, just something simple, but effective.
</div></div>
Kifaru already makes a fine solution
stuff_collage.jpg

https://kifaru.net/stuffsack.html
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2)A rig for ghillies that has molle on the sides to put gear so you don't have to crawl on mags and what not, 2-4" under armpits to 2-4" above hip sounds good. The front is just cordura and the sides have webbing on it, just 2 straps on the back.</div></div>
Tactical Concealment is already producing such an item.
It is called the A.S.P.
4943.jpg

4944.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...053#Post1832053

As you know from our past conversations Nick, I make stuff fairly often for my team when the need arises.
One of things that I made that I think you could really market, is the Leupold Mark 4 Spotter cover that I made.
(Not sure if you've seen me or Tom with it at matches or not.)
It uses the same design principles as the one that ships with the scope, but it is made out of 1000 Denier Multicam Cordura has attachment points designed to use GrimLocks to attach it to your pack, and has garnishing straps of gutted 550 cord sewn in.
I've made two different versions.
One for the standard Mark 4 spotter and a second one to be used with a Mark 4 that has an ARD mounted to it.

As you know, I have no desire to do this professionally.
If you like Nick, I can E-mail you the patterns.
If it is something that you are interested in marketing, I'm sure we can work out something in trade.
wink.gif

I'll take some pics tonight and post them up later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A member just sent me his neoprene cover for that Bushnell to tear apart and make a pattern out of and make him one in coyote, that will be an available product shortly, as I will be starting on that within the next week or two. </div></div>

Ditto here for the Excursion. But, add some PALS/MOLLE to the sides to add pouches for glass accessories and to MOLLE the spotter to a pack/drag bag or what ever. Add a velcro strap or buckled strap to hold the legs of a small tripod like the Silk while still attached to the spotter.

Nick, you didn't get back to me with what you need for your sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a back pack that can be ran like a normal back pack or modified by clipping into fastex buckles attached to your body armor... something I just came up with off the top of my head. </div></div>

Is this what you are seeking?

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/removableoperatorpack.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a back pack that can be ran like a normal back pack or modified by clipping into fastex buckles attached to your body armor... something I just came up with off the top of my head. </div></div>

Is this what you are seeking?

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/removableoperatorpack.aspx

</div></div>

bad ass...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Modular dope card wrist band... since finding these at sporting good stores sssuuuuuckkkks ... and makem in proper camo.

basically take the portion that holds the index cards/whatever have the hook portion of velcro on the back and it can be added/removed from the wrist band so you dont have to run a wrist band if you dont want... put in your pocket / attactch it to your rifle or whatever has loop velcro on it.</div></div>

I just released a similar concept here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1936890&gonew=1#UNREAD

dope_wallet_7146.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redman makes a stockpack for the AR15, but without the seude panel, mostly because of our crusade and utter failure to find the material.
</div></div>

To my knowledge it's not a padded stock pack like eagles correct? What I would like to see is the same stock pack we run on our bolt guns but cut to clear the charging handle. My face has grown accustom to that stock pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boone, I make mats as large or as small as the customer wants. I don't put eyelets in them but I do sew 550 cord loops wherever it's needed. Just because it's not listed on the website doesn't mean we don't sew it. </div></div>

I believe your referring to DogBoneS post. I already own a Tab gear shooting mat along with a Tab sling.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A panel that will fit MOLLE with magazine pouches that will hold 8 P-Mags in a sideways mount so they can be pulled out naturally with the left hand to the left instead of UP as in 'SOP' for so many Vests(IBA, OTV et al).

IOTV.jpg

This is/was the fastest way to reload for me. It's a natural arm movement not the pull upward UP your chest which is not natural motion but SOP for so many military units so everyone can be uniform...which I bet has made quite a few come close to getting killed once or twice</div></div>

With the set up of most vests and or chest rigs, dont the majority of them zip or buckle up the center?, or would that be something that would work on most military set ups? </div></div>

I can't speak for the USMC's new Body armor but with the IOTV (the one pictured) you could build something like this and use the MOLLE webbing on the front without hindering operation.

I think the key would be to ad a 1/2" to 1" gap between the bottom two mags and the top two (ie in the middle) so that the lower flap can be pulled out to facilitate the cumberbun.

You could also orient the webbing on the mag pouches back to "normal" for other pouches

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jason_B said:
Modular dope card wrist band... since finding these at sporting good stores sssuuuuuckkkks ... and makem in proper camo.

basically take the portion that holds the index cards/whatever have the hook portion of velcro on the back and it can be added/removed from the wrist band so you dont have to run a wrist band if you dont want... put in your pocket / attactch it to your rifle or whatever has loop velcro on it.</div></div>

PM Sent Wolf

I think you should start making Kestrel pouches like you made for me last year that thing is great. Padded but not over the top and just the right size. I'll send it back to you if you want to get the specs on it, I know you said you made it up as you went. Also stock pack for PRS AR10 for 1 10RD. mag and padding for cheek.

Discreet cases for various rifles are always good. right now i use a soft guitar case for movin my ar in and out of the apartment (on the way to the range). Now I have an FAL to dealt with too. nothing fancy, mayne backpack style. Just something that doesn't scream guns inside. FAL freindly slings would also be good.

How about a padded scope/crown cover that attaches to a back pack. Possibly in between the backpack and wearer as well as on the outside of the bag. I know eberlestock makes something similar but Im not talking fully padded. I would use the hell out of something like that hunting out here in AZ.

Ive been looking for a toolbox. i dont like hard boxes, so i want a smaller sized bag that i can put the larger pieces of kit in, with MOLLE on both length-wise sides for other attachments and pouches for other stuff like tools, ammo cards, whatever. it would have one main zipper across the top and a large square pocket on each side. a duffel style handle on top for carrying, and straps on one of the length-wise sides to attach it like a dump bag onto another system. i want one in multi cam or dessert.

Double stitched and ready for heavy drag.

As promised, here are some images of the improved Mark 4 spotting scope cover.

M4_CVR-WEB_1.JPG

Take note of the garnish straps that run along the top spine and front cover.

M4_CVR-WEB_2.JPG

You can see the GrimLock and webbing that is used to attach the scope to the outside of your pack.

M4_CVR-WEB_3.JPG

This version is designed to be used with a Tenabraex ARD.
The ARD can be easily removed for use in low light.

M4_CVR-WEB_4.JPG

There are two layers of 1000 Denier Cordura with thin closed cell foam padding between them.

I'd really like to see a simple, single rifle case. Something like the traditional hunting rifle cases but made of denier to fufill my absurd nylon fetish.

zipper on top. room for one scoped rifle. little bit of padding to protect the optics. couple handles. shoulder strap and maybe a pouch or two for some ammo. Voila!

A drag bag works great when toting two rifles to the range but when I just want to grab the bolt gun I find it awkward and cumbersome. (not to mention I dont compete or stalk so it really doesnt meet my range rat needs)

oh and maybe a beer koozie for when I get home from the range..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, functional looking cover Dr.P.! Any intent to build them for other spotters?</div></div>
The cover could easily be modified to accomidate other spotters with this type body.

I have the equipment to do this type of work because of were I work.
It is not part of my daily job and I do it because keeping my hands buisy helps my head relax.
The sewing required to make this cover is a bit tricky in places and taxes me about an hour to sew one up.
Developing the design and making the patterns took about a week of messing around in the lab and on the PC.

Placement and support of the webbing for attaching the scope to your pack was a bit tricky.
Had to find just the right place so that the center of gravity would be in the right place.
The gutted 550 cord that is sewin in does a really good job at "Ghillie-ing" up the scope when garnished properly.
After using it for over a year now, the only thing that I would change on it if it were to go into production would be to use a brown zipper.
(I didn't have any at the time.)

I don't have any plans to sell these at this time.
If Nick were willing, I would be more than happy to trade him the patterns, notes, and rights to the design for some gear and supplies.
Nick does great work and I think he a a stand up guy that will bring years of good service to our sport / industry.

Nick,

Seems like a lot of people add cheek pads or sometime to raise the rest, as scope objectives are getting larger. I've tired strap-on cheek pads and rifle butt stock packs, but have never found them sturdy or stable enough. Plus the strap and attachments seem to get in the way of a good cheek rest and shooting especially from prone. I like to use a rear bag, but find that if I attach it to my sling, it gets in my way when slinging and unslinging my rifle. If the rear bag isn't attached, then oopps, sometimes I forget or lose it. That being said, he is what I came up with.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1842894

Maybe you can come up with a more sturdy design if you think it is a viable idea. Thanks.

How about a padded case for ear muffs with molle attachment points on the flat top and straps to attach to a molle system on the bottom?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A panel that will fit MOLLE with magazine pouches that will hold 8 P-Mags in a sideways mount so they can be pulled out naturally with the left hand to the left instead of UP as in 'SOP' for so many Vests(IBA, OTV et al).

IOTV.jpg

With the set up of most vests and or chest rigs, dont the majority of them zip or buckle up the center?, or would that be something that would work on most military set ups? </div></div>

Every single MOLLE set up goes right to left(I'll use 'across') across the body. This only allows MOLLE items to hang up and down but not sideways. The un natural arm/wrist angle of pulling a mag up 6"+ to get it out of the pouch slows down the process.
The IOTV has a flap that covers the center. The older IBA fixed down the center but the mag platform could fix(550 cord) sideways on one side, however, 'Little Man 6' didn't like it and Asshat 7 didn't like it, but Big Man 6 loved the idea along with Bigger Man 7 once they saw how fast it was to effect a mag change. They(Bigger Men 6, 7) of course wondered how to make an adjustment so we could use the trick, but Giant Man 6 said bad idea it doesn't look uniform, and Giant Man 7 just asked for a cigar so it could be spoken upon after hours with his driver and the lowly SSG who brought the idea forward.
For me and many others, pulling stuff out from the side is a natural movement with natural arm and wrist angles. If your knife can slide onto your belt sideways, place it left of your buckle and see how easy it is to draw with teh right hand. Same goes for lefty's. A cross drawn 45 in an appendix holster has the same natural movement, yet so many want to pull stuff straight up and not across when it comes to MOLLE

Dr Phil, you just made my day... That's slick!
You reckon they're a size similar enough to the Excursion FFP from Bushnell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">care to make one for a Vortex Razor?</div></div>

Care to get me a vortex razor? I will make one for any spotter that I can get into my hands.

I made a cover for a spotter off some loose measurements for a Luepold MK4 a year or so ago, and sight unseen it was a PAI, took about 2 months of sending it back and forth to fix that or change that. I will not make a spotter cover from now on without the spotter in my hand, for just that reason. And that is another whole problem in itself.

I know Tactical Tailor makes the Malice Pack but please could someone make an updated version of the Alice Large Mtn Ruck with MOLLE/PALS webbing. Have the same amount of pockets on the front but have them attached to the webbing so they can be removed. Use the same old frame but an update on the straps and kidney pad. Just a thought! Oh, Multicam please!!! If at all possible make it so it don't cost an arm, two legs, your right nut, and your left kidney!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A decent camo tarp with eyelets for hanging or staking. Light, waterproof, and easily packable. Multicam would be my first choice, or at least OD. With a nice little tag that says "Made in the USA"</div></div>

wink.gif
</div></div>
I was talking 9-10' square, for use as a camping shelter or hide, or on the ground to catch those flying semi-auto cases. </div></div>

I think we use something very similar to what your talking about in the NZ Army. We call it a Hoochie. We dont use anything else. Takes seconds to put up and drop. Has a very low profile in the bush. Folds away to near nothing and can be put up in infinit different ways. I still carry mine for hunting/tramping. Has domes and line attatchment points all over to attatch it to others to double the size. Can also be dome'd to itself to use as a stretcher aswell.
Great bit of Kit.

http://www.sasskit.co.uk/productlist.php?category=Bashas, Tents, Shelters and Sleeping Bags