• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk Tikka T3

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
I've been hunting with a .270 Tikka T3 hunter for a few years now and just love the hell out of it. I have only tried a few types of hunting ammo and stopped at Federal Fusion. I can consistantly shoot 3/4 inch groups and sometimes better. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of these rifles? Are the T3 lite rifles just as good? How does this light rifle with its skinny little barrel group better than most rifles that cost 3 times as much with bull barrels and bedded stocks?

Re: How do you like your T3's

I think it's the action.

It's just so buttery smooth, haven't felt a single rifle out of barrel like that yet. The bolt literally just glides right out.

Love my Tikka in .270, there are days when its neck and neck with my Surgeon .243 to at least the 500-600 yard line. Not until I get past 800 and the better BC of the .243 makes it noticeable better.

It was easy to work loads up with in both 110 TTSX and 140 Berger as well as factory cheap stuff still holding better than 1 moa. I admit it bugs me that a basicly out of the box rifle does so well. I recently broke down to try the new B&C stock for the sake of trying it but it was not really necessary.

The trigger is also nice on these weapons.
I took my 270 out this morning to get a good 300 yard zero before deer season come in. Have been zeroed at 100 yards, but my new hunting area has lots more long range open shots. Im shooting 150 grain Federal Fusion, from a bench, with about a 5mph wind in my face. I was very happy with the results today, but due to budget constraints (not enough ammo) I didnt get to fire all that I would like. My purpose was to get a 300 yard zero and then return to 100 yards to see how far my grouping was off.

First I fired a 5 shot group at 100 yards to confirm my zero. The first shot of the day went way high and the other 4 were pretty tight.
IMG00167-20110814-1505.jpg

Then at 306 yards. This mess was me trying to get zeroed. Most shots were low right with some flyers to the left for some reason.
IMG00169-20110814-1506.jpg

Then 3 more well aimed shots on a fresh target and my nerves completely calm.
IMG00168-20110814-1505.jpg

After this a storm was blowing in so I went back to 100 yards to fire my last 4 shots to see where they were at. They ended up being approximately 5 inches high. The federal ballistics data says that this round should drop 12.6 inches at 300 yards from a 100 yard zero, so there is a big discrepency there somewhere.

These rifles are really great and I just dont see why they arent more popular.

"These rifles are really great and I just dont see why they arent more popular. "

That first shot high is the problem.
I only shoot one shot so the tight group latter is of no importance.

I knew that was coming.

Actually there are 3 sight adjustments in that group that resulted in the last 3 shot group. I definately need to shoot some more at that range to get more conclusive data.

I own several from .223 thru 30-06 in the stainless lite version and there are all excellent shooters. Never had a problem with any of them. Wish they didn't discontinue the stainless varmint models as they where a great gun.

I was also going to say that the only difference with the lite models vs the varmint is the number of shots before the barrel gets hot. Both models consisantly group .5 in at 100 yds.

Out of three T3 lites I've dealt with, two shot well under an inch. My friend has a 338wm that shoots like crap (2-3moa). We're troubleshooting it right now. Overall, the T3's are a great value and damn good rifles. The only ones I've heard that don't shoot well are the really heavy recoilers.

The barrel heating up is definately an issue if you want to print a lot of small groups. Later this evening I got another box of the same ammo and went back to fire 4 5shot groups. After 4 shots the groups started opening up. You can see in the first target there are 4 shots all in each other then the last one flew a little. Target 2 was shot immediately after and you can see how much the group opened up. One of those fliers in target 2 was me, but the group still opened up quite a bit. I shot 2 more targets with a hot barrel that look just like the second one.
group2.jpg

group1.jpg

The reason I shot another string today is because I actually got worried about my shooting from earlier this morning.I flew the very first shot way high and thought this may be due to a cold bore, but it turns out it was just me. These rifles are by no means a competitive or tactical replacement, but are extremely good for a hunting rifle. And thats what they were made to do. I still say the 1 3/8 inch group at 300 yards is pretty good, even though it is only 3 shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of three T3 lites I've dealt with, two shot well under an inch. My friend has a 338wm that shoots like crap (2-3moa). We're troubleshooting it right now. Overall, the T3's are a great value and damn good rifles. The only ones I've heard that don't shoot well are the really heavy recoilers. </div></div>

Heavy recoil + OEM Tikka recoil lug = poor accuracy.

At a minimum, replace the aluminum block with SS. A really good pillar bed job will help too. If you can afford it, put a R700 style recoil lug in front of the action. Did wonders for my 300WM.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heavy recoil + OEM Tikka recoil lug = poor accuracy.

At a minimum, replace the aluminum block with SS. A really good pillar bed job will help too. If you can afford it, put a R700 style recoil lug in front of the action. Did wonders for my 300WM.

John </div></div>
B&C stock with aluminum bedding block on it's way. If that one helps, it will be getting the KRG chassis. If not, it will be rebarreled and into the KRG chassis. I am also confident the flimsy lug and plastic stock can't handle the recoil of the mighty 338.

I Love my T3 super Varmint in .308, also have had my hands on a .204 varmint, .223 lite, .270 lite and a .204 lite. all great.

Just yesterday i had my .308 at 1,215 meters with 208 A-max's/ 165 Game Kings and 150 grain power points were giving me a half mill groups (just under 2 moa) 80% of the time, (that group size was a combo of all three projectiles, some were better then others, the flyers were just the nut behind the trigger being loose)

at 1,060 meters the 208 A-maxs were giving me .3 mill groups.

every new rifle i get is a T3 now.

Here in Finland Tikka rifles are very popular. I have 7mm RM Tikka M65 with Sako Target trigger, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56, & very heavy 26" Border Stainless 5R barrel. With 168 grain Sierra MK, this one shoots 3 rounds about 3 3/4" group from 500 metres. Anyway, as there´s comment earlier, barrell heating is "the" problem, even with really heavy barrel. 65.0 grains of N165 makes a lot of heat. If i shoot 3 shots in 10 minute period, group is only about 2 3/4"

I don´t have much experience about newest Tikka hunting rifles like Lite etc, but i know that they can be easily upgraded into 0.7-0.6 Moa rifles. Tactical & Varmint rifles are exellent. Handloader, who knows what he is doing, can rip great accuracy from great distances with T3´s. Usually there´s few things IMHO: Very Hi-quality BT or VLD bullet with good (I like Federal Gold Medal match) primer, case (Lapua & Sako are fine ones) and slow powder. Vihtavuori N150 in good for 308, N165 for 7mm Rem Mag etc.

I dont have tried this one, but my fellow hunters have been told, that Barnes Tipped TSX is really, really accurate.

Re: Lets talk Tikka T3

I dont really understand this talk about the recoillug.
Its the same type of lug used by TRG rifles (TRG uses steel),and really the TRG and the T3 are very close, lenght and number of locking luggs differ.
I would NEVER install a Remington style recoillug, as this is so much easyer.
But I would change it to a steel version.

Here is my T3.
Factory Varmintbarrel (no bluprintjob done, no breeak in)
TRG (half homemade) chassis, with steel recoilug

197259_10150209159419408_680984407_9138620_8290882_n.jpg

292809_10150406027164408_680984407_10777525_4269135_n.jpg

252429_10150322279604408_680984407_9929379_8285756_n.jpg

Caliber is 6,5x55 AI, both groups are shot with Norma 130 gr VLD at 3000fps.
Certainly there is a number of guns out there that shoots far better than this, but I wouldent have any use of better accuracy as I am not that good shoot.
And most importantly when distance gets longer and the enviroment makes a bigger impact on the practical accuracy, this is more accurate than any human can use.

I am writing gun reviews for a number of magazines in Sweden. The reason why I went to T3 is because I have testfired so many T3 with insane accuracy right out of box, but still in their cheap plastic stock with their aluminium recoillug.

I belive the main reason behind the accuracy of T3 is the sturdy action. Even in a cheap plastic stock that is comes with orignally without any bedding the T3 often outshoots many customguns.

Håkan

I love my lite in 30-06, recoil is fine, shoots half decent sub moa consistently. I usually put 2-3 shots in a row in the same hole so long as I do my part.(Been experiencing a flier on the 3rd shot but having cheap ammo seems to be the problem) As a hunting rifle it does everything I need and more
smile.gif
Silky smooth action, and with the whiskey 3 chassis soon on its way it'll be near perfect
smile.gif

I have a T3 lite in 270WSM and it shot great out of the box. Didn't take me long to find a limbsaver pad for it though. Just worked up a load of 71gr RL19 with 110gr Barnes TSXT, shooting over 3600fps. Did great in the work up phase, can't wait till this Saturday to stretch it out and get some good chrony data.

Great hunting rifle for the money.

Here is a very typical range day with my Tikka. 200yards about 15 minutes apart as I shot other guns and at least a full turn of the turrets in any direction checking return to zero. The bottom left dot was first shot out after replacing the stock, minor scope tweak and all was good.

fe26ca36.jpg

I don't really think T3's are any more accurate than other rifles.The difference might be that a T3 out of the box is slightly better free floated and some others are half pressure bedded.
I am shooting a 223 T3 1/8 stainless lite since about a year. I even had the barrel shortened, re-crowned and plenty playing around with ammo to get here half way ok. She seems very finicky. Not in the league of a howa in 22-250, a CZ 223 or remmy sporter 243 that I had/have. Maybe it's the 1/8 twist. With 69gr Nos custom match she seems to be quite ok and reliable out to crow sized things to max 250yds. Groups at 100yds seem to vary 1/2" to 1". Another point is that one can't single load the 223 as the rounds jam, mag feed is flawless though. Might get her re-barrelled at some stage. edi

100 m, Tikka T3 varmint 5x , Bereger VLD 175, ACC 2015 , CCIprimer, waiting for new RCS 2 stock, and working on my own chassis
17140_1294096267055_1069742659_934275_3380631_n.jpg

149861_1664041555456_1069742659_1865154_2305775_n.jpg

149861_1664041595457_1069742659_1865155_946176_n.jpg

I just picked up a used Tikka T3 Varmint SS in 308. The barrel is not fully free floated and I'm currently working on fixing the issue. There seems to be contact with the barrel and stock closer to the receiver. Is this something common with Tikkas?

I have two T3 Lites in 204 and 243 that I use for hunting. The 204 will group 5 shots in a ragged hole at 100 yds and hit prairie dogs at 320 yds. I'd post a pic but have not learned how yet. There have been no problems with either rifle and the price point is good for a lite accurate rifle.

I have 2 Tikka T 3 scouts, one in 223 with a Nikon 223 on top and at 100 yards will group one little ragged hole also it shoot far better than I can hold it.... the 308 doesn't do as well but I have no problem holding a 3" group at 400 yards with it, I have a Night force 3.5 X 15 F1 with a LV.5 reticle on it. and I really look forward to seeing how it works on white tails this year. and both shoot this way right out of the box....I really wish we could get the varmint rifles over here like they have in Europe.... I not real keen on 20 inch barrels although they swing nicely.

I'm, a tikka T3 fan also,.

when we met with the head of the Sako/Tikka/Beretta group at the IWA2008 to discuss possibility of procuring actions, or barreled actions the guy told us that they had already sold all the rifles they could manufacture that year.so if we wanted we could join the queue, but they werent interested in just supplying barreled actions. That was in March 2008. they make 30000 rifles a year if i remember right.
so they arent unpopular.

do away with the cheapo plastic parts ( they have to achieve the price somehow) replace them with good quality aftermarket parts and you are usualy on to a winner.

The alloy recoil lug can flex in the tupperware OEM stocks. I glue them in to aftermarket stocks and havent seen any issues. Swapping it for one in sttainless steel would be easy if one so desired.

we did away with the recoil lug in our RCS chassis. there is instead a projection in the chassis that acts as a lug.

I'd take a T3 in a decent chassis system over the TRG any day of the week. cheaper and same accuracy.

Pete

Ditto...
Here in Europe they are probably the only cost effective buy (with guarantee that it will shoot great).

I've heard there are some that shoot great and some that don't (not a small percentage) would that be correct by your experience or is it only hearsay?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm, a tikka T3 fan also,.
I'd take a T3 in a decent chassis system over the TRG any day of the week. cheaper and same accuracy.

Pete

</div></div>

LOL!!!
laugh.gif

mine is a T3 hunter with the wood stock and is extrememly accurate, atleast by my standards. I cant speak for the polymer stock versions.

I picked up a t3 super varmint in .308 a few months ago and have been working on a hunting load for it. I've found I can get sierra 165 game kings to shoot half inch 100 yrd groups. Next will be a match 168 gr load to be worked on....Oh and the gun is stock out of the box with a 5x20x50 mark 4 scope.

I have the T3 light in 6.5x55. I was blown away by it's accuracy. I have 3 different loads that shoot 1/2 minute or better. Made me sell my Rem model seven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a used Tikka T3 Varmint SS in 308. The barrel is not fully free floated and I'm currently working on fixing the issue. There seems to be contact with the barrel and stock closer to the receiver. Is this something common with Tikkas?</div></div>

As you can see in the photo below there are two little nubs about halfway up the barrel channel that keep it from being totally free floated. My thinking is that with the nubs putting pressure on the barrel you only have to work about flexing in the last half, not the full length of the forend. They are in heavy contact and marked the cerakote on the barrel. The left stock is a new BC with the integrated recoil block which sounds similiar to Petes system. About 30seconds with a file would take care of those if you wanted it truely free floated.

02e6aa47.jpg

I finished free floating the stock earlier this week. I don't remember seeing nubs that stuck out so much. The parts that I had to file down were the X's. They weren't smooth the whole length. The X's in your picture look even the whole length. I wish I had taken a before and after picture.

I have no problem? 308 Varmint.
5 shots 100 yards
0624011730-1.jpg

5 shots 300 yards
1st300yrds.jpg

The stick
DSC01051-2.jpg

Diego

Swapped out the factory plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson on my friends 338 WM and went from 4" groups to 1.5" with a starting pressure hand load. It will be a good shooter with load development. If anyone is having accuracy issues with one of the heavy recoilers try a better stock.

I swapped to the BC stock and saw an improvement in POI consistency on going from sling, to bipod etc. Also just go some hex head action screws and things got even tighter. I cannot recommend it enough to ditch the factory screws and get something you can torque to a repeatable setting, Im starting to believe that running the fasteners a bit tighter might alleviate some of the recoil lug battering.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked this one from a forum member today and changed the stock to a one I had sitting around. Tikka T3 Varmint in .223. For all the pictures, see:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Sami.M.Kall...feat=directlink

From this

DSC_1880.JPG

to this:

DSC_1883.JPG

DSC_1886.JPG

DSC_1894.JPG

DSC_1895.JPG

DSC_1896.JPG

DSC_1900.JPG
</div></div>

Yep, thanks for the awesome smooth transaction!

It's a made to order stock by Finnish stockmaker Antero Lauronen. My brother was able to find it second hand from a retired competition shooter. Lauronen is well known especially in biathlon circles. In Vancouver Olympics people won 2 gold medals, a silver and two bronze using his stock on their rifle.

I am not 100% sure but I think Jyri Jalonen uses Lauronen's stocks on his custom rifles: http://www.jalonen.fi/index.php?mid=5&pid=22

I didnt think that was something that a person could just go out and buy. It looks nice and if you ever decide to part with it let me know.