• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk triggers

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I have two rifles Id like to upgrade triggers on, a Remington 5 R in 308 and a Mossberg MVP in 6.5 Creedmoor, but my knowledge is slim. In searching it looks like the only option for the Mossy is the Timney. I shot a buddy's Remington with a Jewell and loved it, so much better than the Remington X mark, but I see more shooters seem to go with Gissele or Timney. Why? Are they as good as the Jewell or is it the cost as I see the Jewell's seem to be more expensive.

Educate me, please.

I run the TriggerTech Primary in my bolt guns. Every TT trigger I’ve toyed with has been phenomenal, their Diamond is erection-inducing for a match gun but I hunt with my rifles so I prefer a slightly heavier trigger.

I had a Timney Calvin Elite in a TL2 a few years back. No major complaints, it broke clean and treated me well. It was a great trigger, but I feel the TT edges it out now.

I have zero experience with the Gieselle, so I will not comment other than to say they make everything else to an exacting standard, so I would expect this trigger to be no different.

Reactions: larryh128
    Main reason more choose others I am sure is that the Jewell are more susceptible to issues in dirty environments. Clean, dry firing lines they work great. I know there will be some come in here saying they hunt with Jewells etc and I don't doubt them but I have seen more Jewells go down in matches over the years than others. Saw 3 in one match. If you plan to not get it too dirty or have some lighter fluid on hand to flush it then the Jewell will work. That said today there are a bunch of good trigger options from the Timneys to Trigger Tech and others.

I run the TriggerTech Primary in my bolt guns. Every TT trigger I’ve toyed with has been phenomenal, their Diamond is erection-inducing for a match gun but I hunt with my rifles so I prefer a slightly heavier trigger.

A Diamond can go up to 2 pounds. Totally understand if you want even heavier for hunting though

I run Timney CEs on all of my other rifles, but that's because I prefer a two-stage. But, now that TT has a two-stage, I'm looking in their direction (because it's what all of the other cool kids are running.) My question to those who have run the TTs: is there a real difference between the Special and Diamond, besides the Diamond's ability to go down to 4ozs (I like to run 8oz on the first stage and 12oz on the second on my Timneys)?

I run Timney CEs on all of my other rifles, but that's because I prefer a two-stage. But, now that TT has a two-stage, I'm looking in their direction (because it's what all of the other cool kids are running.) My question to those who have run the TTs: is there a real difference between the Special and Diamond, besides the Diamond's ability to go down to 4ozs (I like to run 8oz on the first stage and 12oz on the second on my Timneys)?

This brings up another question, whats the difference between a one and two stage trigger? Why is one preferable over another? I reckon I need to check Google, LOL.

Googled it. It seems like if youre only doing competitive the one stage might be preferable, for anything else, in general, a good two stage is the way to go. Safer and just as smoothe but with just a bit of slack to give you that small window of choice.

Last edited:
    That's all personal preference. Neither is better. It's what the shooter likes.

Seems like a trip to Greentop to check out both might be in order. If you dont know of Greentop they are in Ashland, just north of Richmond Virginia and have a HUGE selection of rifles (and pistols), best Ive seen anywhere. Only 5 minutes off I-95 in Ashland and well worth the stop.

This brings up another question, what's the difference between a one and two stage trigger? Why is one preferable over another? I reckon I need to check Google, LOL.

Single stage has a single movement to break the trigger. Think of a single action trigger on a 1911. Two stage has a lighter initial takeup, hits a "wall", then with added force, the trigger breaks. Personally, I like the two stage because I use the takeup of the first stage to set the trigger while I settle the reticle, then I break the shot. For me personally, it gives me the feeling that I'm not trying to snatch the trigger when the reticle settles. But again - shooter preference.

Reactions: Last Chance
    Seems like a trip to Greentop to check out both might be in order. If you dont know of Greentop they are in Ashland, just north of Richmond Virginia and have a HUGE selection of rifles (and pistols), best Ive seen anywhere. Only 5 minutes off I-95 in Ashland and well worth the stop.

Yup you can if they have both.

A lot will depend on your budget. A $250 trigger on a $600 rifle is one way to go or a $50 used 40x is at the other end of the spectrum. Not to mention whatever your gunsmith charges for the install. I don’t recommend this but others have successfully adjusted their Xmark triggers down to a pound or two. Happy shooting

Reactions: FatBoy and Maggot

i'm about 20 min closer to you than greentop.

i have a TT diamond, TT special, and Timney single stage if you want to swing by and try them.

i'm not sure how much luck you'll have trying different triggers at Greentop

Reactions: gsd1983
    That sounds like a better option as not sure what Greentop would have for actual test rifles to let you feel triggers.

And what Spife said on install and price. It's simple to install and a standard Timney 510 for $100 is much better than a factory Rem.

You can install a trigger yourself, you are more than capable with a punch and hammer, trust me.

But a timney 110 is 1 milliion times better than the factory trigger.

For the mossberg get the timney, timney isnt in the habbit of making a bad part.
    I can change one out in just a few minutes but I don’t know how comfortable he is with such. I would adjust that Xmark and put the couple hundred dollars towards a custom rig. Spending $200 to improve a factory rig seems like throwing good money after bad. Just my humble opinion though

You can take the trigger, stock etc with you to a new action as well, not necessarily a sunken cost.

My factory action rem 700 is my favorite rifle to shoot, its got a bixn andy in it and its a dream. A good trigger is a good trigger regardless, I wouldnt suffer a shit trigger just for the sake of nothing.

A nice trigger can really help any firearm.
    I have some experience with TT, CG XTreme, Huber and AI triggers and have a tiny bit of experience with the CE’s
    All are nice.
    I Really like my Huber.
    I’m a bit curious about the BnA two stage.

Great place! Really miss being close enough to visit.

Reactions: Maggot
    A nice trigger can really help any firearm.
    I have some experience with TT, CG XTreme, Huber and AI triggers and have a tiny bit of experience with the CE’s
    All are nice.
    I Really like my Huber.
    I’m a bit curious about the BnA two stage.

I know a few people who run BnA two stages and love the shit out of them and have never had problems

But I’ve heard and experienced myself more people that have had issues.

Mine was super finicky. When it worked - it was an amazing trigger. but it was super hard for me personally to get the screw settings right to make it work correctly. And when I finally got it working well - any amount of moisture (I’m talking a drizzling day) would kill the trigger. Had it drop the sear on me during a match and the gun went off).

people will tell me “you just didn’t have to set up correctly”

maybe so -but if it’s that finicky and difficult to set up and could potentially be dangerous if I don’t have a screw set correctly within a 1/16” of a turn. I don’t want anything to do with it

I know a few people who run BnA two stages and love the shit out of them and have never had problems

But I’ve heard and experienced myself more people that have had issues.

Mine was super finicky. When it worked - it was an amazing trigger. but it was super hard for me personally to get the screw settings right to make it work correctly. And when I finally got it working well - any amount of moisture (I’m talking a drizzling day) would kill the trigger. Had it drop the sear on me during a match and the gun went off).

people will tell me “you just didn’t have to set up correctly”

maybe so -but if it’s that finicky and difficult to set up and could potentially be dangerous if I don’t have a screw set correctly within a 1/16” of a turn. I don’t want anything to do with it
    Well you’d like the Huber then.
    Slap it on and go and it’s never faltered on me is some kinda ugly conditions.

Reactions: Fishbaum and CBeck
    Maggot, I would first ask what the the primary purpose of each gun, blasting, bench shooting, hunting, competition etc... and follow up with questions along the lines of:
    -How are your fundamentals?
    -What is your goal weight for trigger pull?
    -Are you looking for single stage or two stage?
    -If you're using for hunting, are you in a blind, hiking the high country in a snow storm or sitting on the edge of field in a tree stand?
    -Are you ever going to be wearing gloves while shooting? Do you have sausage fingers? Both of which drive do you have enough room in your trigger guard to use a flat trigger shoe without running the risk of a negligent discharge every time you shove your fingers in.
    -Do you have any nerve damage, arthritis or some other debilitating factor impacting your fingers or hands?
    -What type of trigger surface do you prefer, fat/wide, flat curved, thin, groves, adjustable?
    -How well does each gun fit you? Can you adjust the gun's fitment?
    -Do. you have a side bolt release?

Admittedly, you might end up at the same answer depending on how you respond to these, but some of the questions above may eliminate potential triggers. Unfortunately, like many things, triggers to me are a personal preference item, that requires hands on experience to find what you really like. That said, there are limiting factors depending on brand so more info would be required.

TT is apparently still working out the kinks on their two stage, but they do have flat and curved triggers. Timney has flat, curved, adjustable / replaceable trigger shoe and single / two stage triggers. Jewells are as Rob pointed out are like a Swiss watch, but that makes them more susceptible to foreign matter and some of them don't include a safety or a bolt release button.

Also if you haven't experienced it yet, friends don't let their non-shooting friends with sausage fingers shoot their 2oz triggers nor loan out said gun for them to hunt with. Another concern is I don't want to drop a 2oz trigger out of a tree stand in the hopes that sear is going to hold.

Trigger Techs are excellent triggers. If they fit your requirements, I can say I haven't had any issues with my 3 and would buy again. I shoot the Specials because I don't see a justification for the extra $100 for the Diamond. Most guys I know wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if they were blindfolded and the triggers were adjusted to the same weight. I also don't need to go below 1.5# on a comp or hunting gun

I have Timneys as well and I love my Calvin Elite, it has over 10k rounds and dry fire on it with out an issue.

I run Geissele on my ARs but have no experience with them on my bolt guns and probably wouldn't try one unless it was a gift given my satisfaction with the TTs and Timneys.

I also have Jewells, but they are on dedicated guns and I see no need to swap them based on cost and effort. They server their purpose, but I won't be intentionally purchasing any in the future.

As for your MVP, it looks like JARD also makes a drop in for it as well.

Well you’d like the Huber then.
    Slap it on and go and it’s never faltered on me is some kinda ugly conditions.

I’ve been super happy with my trigger techs.
    I had one fail that was entirely my fault (hot rounds piercing primers ALL day during a match and it finally killed the trigger. I think a piece of primer got down into the trigger and jammed it up) TT replaced it.

I’ve ran them in rain, dust, hot,cold, dirty - no problems. And they feel great. I have no doubt the hubers are good triggers as well

You can take the trigger, stock etc with you to a new action as well, not necessarily a sunken cost.

My factory action rem 700 is my favorite rifle to shoot, its got a bixn andy in it and its a dream. A good trigger is a good trigger regardless, I wouldnt suffer a shit trigger just for the sake of nothing.
    You’re absolutely right and that’s always an option. The only draw back in doing that is you’re back to the original problem with that rifle when you pull that stuff off. When I get a rifle to perform the way I want I don’t like going back to square one. I’ve seen a bunch of people including myself spend stacks of cash chasing better accuracy.

Maggot, I would first ask what the the primary purpose of each gun, blasting, bench shooting, hunting, competition etc... and follow up with questions along the lines of:
    -How are your fundamentals?
    -What is your goal weight for trigger pull?
    -Are you looking for single stage or two stage?
    -If you're using for hunting, are you in a blind, hiking the high country in a snow storm or sitting on the edge of field in a tree stand?
    -Are you ever going to be wearing gloves while shooting? Do you have sausage fingers? Both of which drive do you have enough room in your trigger guard to use a flat trigger shoe without running the risk of a negligent discharge every time you shove your fingers in.
    -Do you have any nerve damage, arthritis or some other debilitating factor impacting your fingers or hands?
    -What type of trigger surface do you prefer, fat/wide, flat curved, thin, groves, adjustable?
    -How well does each gun fit you? Can you adjust the gun's fitment?
    -Do. you have a side bolt release?

Admittedly, you might end up at the same answer depending on how you respond to these, but some of the questions above may eliminate potential triggers. Unfortunately, like many things, triggers to me are a personal preference item, that requires hands on experience to find what you really like. That said, there are limiting factors depending on brand so more info would be required.

TT is apparently still working out the kinks on their two stage, but they do have flat and curved triggers. Timney has flat, curved, adjustable / replaceable trigger shoe and single / two stage triggers. Jewells are as Rob pointed out are like a Swiss watch, but that makes them more susceptible to foreign matter and some of them don't include a safety or a bolt release button.

Also if you haven't experienced it yet, friends don't let their non-shooting friends with sausage fingers shoot their 2oz triggers nor loan out said gun for them to hunt with. Another concern is I don't want to drop a 2oz trigger out of a tree stand in the hopes that sear is going to hold.

Trigger Techs are excellent triggers. If they fit your requirements, I can say I haven't had any issues with my 3 and would buy again. I shoot the Specials because I don't see a justification for the extra $100 for the Diamond. Most guys I know wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if they were blindfolded and the triggers were adjusted to the same weight. I also don't need to go below 1.5# on a comp or hunting gun

I have Timneys as well and I love my Calvin Elite, it has over 10k rounds and dry fire on it with out an issue.

I run Geissele on my ARs but have no experience with them on my bolt guns and probably wouldn't try one unless it was a gift given my satisfaction with the TTs and Timneys.

I also have Jewells, but they are on dedicated guns and I see no need to swap them based on cost and effort. They server their purpose, but I won't be intentionally purchasing any in the future.

As for your MVP, it looks like JARD also makes a drop in for it as well.

Whew!

-Fundamentals are good and improving. Im no Lowlight, LOL
    -Im thinking 2 stage at this point.
    -Mostly just long range for myself, for fun, maybe competitions in the future.
    -Very little if any hunting.
    -No gloves. Im a fucking pussy when it comes to cold and rather be in Costa Rica on the beach. 😂
    -Fat or wide doesnt matter, the X mark is ok feeling but the Jewell was sweet. smooth is more important. Curved seems to fit my finger better.
    Honestly, the MVP factory stock fits better than the Remington with the HS Precision. Id like to upgrade both but thats up the road. I really like the ones Framk had builtI at the Ashbury Factory where I got the tour thanks to being a member here. 1K is a bit for me at this.

Thanks for the insight.

Great thread in the process of looking for one for my 700 also

Dont forget bixn andy, its the nicest rem700 Ive felt. I like it more than my diamond.
    And the bna can be had in single stage (my personal preference) or two stage.

Changing over from a single stage TT to a two stage BnA Tacsport was probably the single best gear decision I've made in this sport.

Reactions: gafferq2xl
    I wasn't a fan of 2 stage triggers until I got my Timney so I can relate.

I've got a Flat TT Diamond on a 700 5R and a Jewell BR on a Custom 700. The TT is perfect, but wish I had bought the curved one. The Jewell has more "feel" to it, like a vinyl record vs a CD (Triggertech). Don't think I could shoot one better than the other.

A lot will depend on your budget. A $250 trigger on a $600 rifle is one way to go or a $50 used 40x is at the other end of the spectrum. Not to mention whatever your gunsmith charges for the install. I don’t recommend this but others have successfully adjusted their Xmark triggers down to a pound or two. Happy shooting

Welcome to the Hide, noobie, and thanks for the comment

Reactions: jcmullis2
    I’ll second the BnA Tacsport 2 stage, I have about 3k rounds on mine and absolutely love it! I have Timney, TT, and Jewells. All of them are much nicer than factory but the BnA is a notch above the rest in my opinion.

Have tried:

X Mark - shit
    Timney - very good
    Huber - excellent
    CG Extreme - meh
    TriggerTech - very good
    Bix n Andy - outstanding

Reactions: st1650 and kthomas
    Dont forget bixn andy, its the nicest rem700 Ive felt. I like it more than my diamond.
    And the bna can be had in single stage (my personal preference) or two stage.

I've got a Bix bench on my 6 BRA. I've had a TT Diamond on a previously owned rifle. I love them both, but the Bix is in it's own class of 6-to-midnight love. For whatever freaking reason I decided to go with a TT again on my new 300 PRC build. I regretted it as soon as I got it. I have a feeling I'll be buying a Bix shortly after I take it out for the first time and replacing/saving the TT for a future build.

It says something about the Bix that I've had no fewer than half a dozen people who've fired my rifle ask me what trigger is on it. I've never had anyone ask that about my others.

Unpopular vote....remington walker trigger tuned to 2 to 2.25lbs.

If im not shooting that i go straighy to Bix n Andy. Easy to set, works great in all weather.

Edit: bix really does have the best break ive ever felt. TT is the vortex of triggers... works well and pleases 90% of the population...but Bix is your schmidt & bender and Tangent Thetas. Not to mention they have different sear heights to fine tune your engagement AND interchangeable trigger shoes so you can get exactly what you want. You don't have to pay $200+ if one day you decide you want a flat trigger, curved trigger, skinny trigger or fat trigger. Highly under rated trigger on these forums.

Last edited:
    I don't much experience with many triggers but I have 3 trigger tech and they are awesome I have never had any reason to try another trigger

It says something about the Bix that I've had no fewer than half a dozen people who've fired my rifle ask me what trigger is on it. I've never had anyone ask that about my others.

Add another to my count of "what trigger is this?"

Was out at a private range today helping a friend run a ladder test and had my 6 with me doing my own test with Berger 109s and Varget. I offered it up for him to shoot a few rounds.

Great thread for inexperienced guys such as myself. So far my only delve into aftermarket triggers was a Timney on a Rem 700 I traded for. Trigger was not a CE or anything special and would not go on the lighter end without being unsafe. During adjustment the sear engagement adjustment screw snapped with virtually no effort (likely the aftermath of the previous owner's adjustment). Trigger was set and functional(after thoroughly securing the sear engagement screw) but heavy and slightly mushy. Tried a Timney 2 stage in RPR and did not love the travel of the first stage, but as these guys stated it is a matter of preference. One crisp light break and a well practiced trigger pull can steady a scope with results similar to that of pulling through your first stage then breaking the second stage when steadied on a two stage trigger. Definitely leaning towards a TT for my 6.5 in the future but I may have to get familiar with the two stage trigger feel.

I have a TriggerTech special on a oem R700 action and its going to be replaced by a Bix because due to its design, can’t adjust for sear height - the TT won’t always cock the action especially if it’s run too fast or if the rifle is pointing too upward or downward which simply doesn’t work for hunting in the mountains when you can have 20-30deg of incline. I’ll probably put the TT on a Defiance anTI - when it arrives and I have a TT Diamond on order for a RimX action - hopefully it’ll be reliable.

Great thread for inexperienced guys such as myself. So far my only delve into aftermarket triggers was a Timney on a Rem 700 I traded for. Trigger was not a CE or anything special and would not go on the lighter end without being unsafe. During adjustment the sear engagement adjustment screw snapped with virtually no effort (likely the aftermath of the previous owner's adjustment). Trigger was set and functional(after thoroughly securing the sear engagement screw) but heavy and slightly mushy. Tried a Timney 2 stage in RPR and did not love the travel of the first stage, but as these guys stated it is a matter of preference. One crisp light break and a well practiced trigger pull can steady a scope with results similar to that of pulling through your first stage then breaking the second stage when steadied on a two stage trigger. Definitely leaning towards a TT for my 6.5 in the future but I may have to get familiar with the two stage trigger feel.
    Get a BnA and be done with it tbh.

I hate 2 stage triggers and the BnA Tacsport Pro is the only one I have felt that even I liked. I'll personally stick to single stage though.

Reactions: ETXbeginner
    Get a BnA and be done with it tbh.

I hate 2 stage triggers and the BnA Tacsport Pro is the only one I have felt that even I liked. I'll personally stick to single stage though.

How do you have yours set up for pull weight ? I also have only single stages for my bolt guns and geissele double stages for my gassers- kind of curious how a sub 2 lbs 2 stage works for a precision rig. I did have a AI MK III couple of years ago but never liked their “heavy” 2 stages although I miss the ruggedness of the action and trigger.

How do you have yours set up for pull weight ? I also have only single stages for my bolt guns and geissele double stages for my gassers- kind of curious how a sub 2 lbs 2 stage works for a precision rig. I did have a AI MK III couple of years ago but never liked their “heavy” 2 stages although I miss the ruggedness of the action and trigger.

Ive used a bix 2 stage but never owned one. The first stage feels like air when you get really low lol. Still a distinct wall regardless.

Reactions: gafferq2xl
    I appreciate all the thoughtful comments. Now, with all the additional choices,Im more confused than ever 😂

Reactions: Olen_4504
    I appreciate all the thoughtful comments. Now, with all the additional choices,Im more confused than ever 😂

If you are use to your stock trigger, pick up a Trigger Tech Primary or Special and you'll be 100% happy. If you think you would prefer a two-stage, wait for TT's two stage which will be available to order in June/July.