• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lets talk trucks

whiskey00buck

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2013
Just bought a house and so i'm on the hunt for a solid pick up as a primary driver. Will need 4x4. And will need to be under $10k. Thoughts?

I would just look around for a good deal. I don't have any brand loyalty as I think they all have their problems regardless of the type, Chevy is horrible for rust, Dodge for transmission and breaking manifold bolts and Ford with spark plug problems. The early 2000 models pulled threads out of the head and 04 and up was a two piece plug that I have seen bills up to $700 for a plug change just because they break off when built up with carbon. I haven't done much with Toyota so I don't really know what issues they have but I'm sure they have their problems too.

I'm typically a Chevy truck fan but I just bought an expedition for my wife and got a much better deal on it than an equivilent truck. It's wierd but check them out too unless you need the bed for specific use. We got a flatbed trailer we use when it requires more.

A pre 2007 Tundra would be a good score, they run forever, had 2, wish I still had them, have had a total of 4 Toyota's w the "small block" V8, never had anything mechanical break.

If I'm shopping for something in the sub-$10k range, then I'm shopping by condition, not by make and model.

Used Tacomas are the best buy for a truck, if you want a fullsize I would look for an older F150.

Last edited:
Love the Tacomas but they're expensive for what you get. I know they fantastic trucks but for that reason, they hold their value really well and are therefore higher mileage for the money.

I've been looking at tundras. That may be a good buy.

Heard the stories about plugs on the 150s.

Thoughts on Cummins diesel platforms, anybody?

I love the GM 6.0l v8. I use a dmax for my welding truck but my run about truck is a 2001 2500 non HD with the 6.0l. It has power, gets 16.5 on the highway and has had zero mechanical issues in the 100k miles I have had it. I bought it for 9.5k in 2010.

Thoughts on Cummins diesel platforms, anybody?

Great engine, shit transmission, questionable quality through the rest of the truck.

Regardless of make or model, budget diesel trucks are likely going to require a lot of time and money. Then again, one can occasionally stumble upon a good deal. A couple years back, I bought a 4x4 '08 Super Duty with the 6.4 Power Stroke for $13k. The truck was in good mechanical and cosmetic condition, and had fresh tires. But it also had 170k on the odometer at the time of purchase, is a base-model truck with vinyl seats and floor, and has a somewhat undesirable body configuration (extended-cab long box, where as all the cool kids want a crew-cab short box). It was a gamble that has paid off nicely, but if it went wrong, there could have been some really nasty repair bills - a factory replacement engine costs more than I paid for the truck - and a lot of frustration.

I'd recommend sticking to a gasser unless you get very lucky, or can stretch your budget.

A 7.3 powerstroke f250/350 is one of the best trucks ever made. Million mile motor with cheap parts and much youtube support. The manual is the better option. I picked up a 95 flat bed for 3k with 160000 miles. Whatever you find just google it's make/model for a forum and it will tell all the problems and fixes.

The 7.3L is a pretty damn durable motor; unfortunately, the same cannot necessarily be said for the transmissions, and the trucks that were built with said engine are now old (and cheap) enough to have often fallen into a state of neglect and disrepair. That being said, there are some really good opportunities out there for someone with the mechanical knowledge required to breath new life into what are often still very usable vehicles.

I wish I had a 7.3, but I got a really good deal on a 2003.5 F350 with a 6.0l with only 57k miles. Paid 15k for it 2 years ago. No problems yet. However, I have recently purchased an EGR upgrade kit from Rudy's diesel performance in Durham and will be having it installed in the next month or two. After that, I plan on doing an Allison transmission conversion if it's possible.

I like the older ford bodies. The new ones look plasticky but the new diesel 6.4's are pretty nice.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad

Toyota is my pick. I sold my Tacoma with 225k and never broke down once and my Tundra is 9 yrs old never an issue either. For general house work its great. Im not hauling or towing anything major. Stay away from Dodge!

After that, I plan on doing an Allison transmission conversion if it's possible.

Personally, I think that would be a downgrade. The stock 5R110 transmission in my '08 has 204,000 miles on it, and has withstood several dragstrip passes at 575 RWHP/1300 lb-ft (I obviously don't run that same tune on a daily basis, but even my "mild" tune is in the neighborhood of 400 RWHP/800 lb-ft). There is absolutely no reason to consider any other transmission.

Personally, I think that would be a downgrade. The stock 5R110 transmission in my '08 has 204,000 miles on it, and has withstood several dragstrip passes at 575 RWHP/1300 lb-ft (I obviously don't run that same tune on a daily basis, but even my "mild" tune is in the neighborhood of 400 RWHP/800 lb-ft). There is absolutely no reason to consider any other transmission.

I will take that under consideration. Not a subject I know a ton about. I do know that the Allison's tend to be rock solid and most people I know with duramax, the engine fails before the tranny.

Posted via Tapatalk HD for iPad

I bought a 01 powerstroke with 170000 for about $7500 that had been used as a ranch truck so it had seen a bit of use, that being said I figured Id be in for a few repairs which after 2 years of being my daily driver and a few road trips so far I'v replaced the front caliper bracket, driverside ball joints (they barely failed inspection) a broken leaf spring which i new going into the deal, glow plugs, glow plug relay, alternator, batteries. All this for less than a thousand bucks and never seen the inside of a mechanic shop and she runs like a champ and never had an issue with the tranny...most my road trips i was hauling a boat or four wheelers and always pulled without issue even up the nasty canyons we have around here. I say $500-$1000 bucks in maintance per year beats the hell out of a payment plan..

My 04 dodge auto failed under 40,000 with only a mild tune. My dads 08 Allison/Dmax has 350k and its still driving great.

My 04 dodge auto failed under 40,000 with only a mild tune. My dads 08 Allison/Dmax has 350k and its still driving great.

I'm not the least bit surprised about the Dodge. The Allison is great on bone-stock trucks, but it has some pretty definite limits. Without a doubt, a stock Allison would not survive the sort of power that I'm pushing through a stock 5R110.

To be honest, this only matters if someone wants to do silly things with trucks.

I'm not the least bit surprised about the Dodge. The Allison is great on bone-stock trucks, but it has some pretty definite limits. Without a doubt, a stock Allison would not survive the sort of power that I'm pushing through a stock 5R110.

To be honest, this only matters if someone wants to do silly things with trucks.

My apologies, I was just coming off a nap and thought you were talking about a Dodge not a Ford.

I too sometimes get silly with trucks.

Some really solid feedback so far. I don't understand how anybody could just say "under 10k, any make and model". Some drive trains were more bullet proof than others.

any thoughts on the Nissan Titan?

Sent via fax machine

Some really solid feedback so far. I don't understand how anybody could just say "under 10k, any make and model". Some drive trains were more bullet proof than others.

It's very easy to say that condition trumps make/model when buying an aging vehicle, because even the best designs are rendered useless by neglect, and because when spending $10k in today's used-car market, you don't necessarily get to buy what you want or what people consider to be "best".

If you know which powertrains were better, and that is your primary purchase decision, then don't bother with the advice presented in this thread. Just understand that everything is a compromise, and a bombproof powertrain may not do a good job of compensating for electric problems, suspension and brakes that don't meet your usage needs, or a body that has rotted away.

any thoughts on the Nissan Titan?

The first-gen models were a nice compact truck disguised as a full-size. I know some updates were made around 2009, but I haven't bothered looking into it in any detail. Nissan be a solid fifth on my list of full-size manufacturers of interest (which happens to have five entries).

95/97 f350 powersstoke withs a 7.3L

A fine truck for towing a modest trailer, pushing a snowplow, or hauling firewood, but probably a bit miserable for commuting a few hundred miles per week with the occasional use to move a piece of furniture.

A fine truck for towing a modest trailer, pushing a snowplow, or hauling firewood, but probably a bit miserable for commuting a few hundred miles per week with the occasional use to move a piece of furniture.

Really unless you get a crewcab they arent that bad to commute in i did it for 2 years with my 250 the cost of fuel is what hurts.

[any thoughts on the Nissan Titan?

Had one, underwhelmed by the build quality, especially when it was bookended by my 2 Tundra's, for a gas truck in your price range I still say you can't go wrong w a 2001 thru 2006 Tundra.

Last edited:
Seems there are a lot of diesel fans around here. I've got a mildly tuned 07 stroker with 48,000 on it. Love the racket my 4 inch sinister system makes on main street.

If I was in the op's shoes, I'd be looking for a minty late 90's f150 with the lariat package, but would jump on just about any clean truck that was priced right.

03 Dodge 3500 4x4 5.9 cummins. 326,712 miles. 17.3mpg. New trans at 240,000( $3,600). set of injectors at 281,000( $2,650). Would not hesitate to drive coast to coast in it. Has not drug a payment book since 2005. You just can not beat the 5.9 Cummins for durability and longevity.