• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold 8.5-25x50 ER/T M5 FFP vs 6.5-20x50 M5A2

dlegeyda

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2012
Australia
Gentlemen,

I need your help to choose between these two Leupold models:

8.5-25x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal TMR
and
6.5-20x50mm ER/T M5A2 Front Focal TMR

I am going to use the scope predominantly for long range target shooting (up to 1000 yard), with very occasionally hunting.

I tentatively settled on 8.5-25 model due to extra 5x in magnification, which I believe is going to be useful at distances close to 1000 yard.

But I do like lockable turrets end significantly bigger elevation adjustment range of the M5A2 model.

Does the M5A2 have any other advantages over the 8.5-25 model?

Did anybody have a chance to try both scopes? What were your impressions? Anything which is not written in the catalog? :)

Unfortunately, in the place I live, I don't have that luxury of going to a gun shop at looking at both, so your advice/impressions/opinion would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Leupold 8.5-25x50 ER/T M5 FFP vs 6.5-20x50 M5A2

I went with the 6.5x20 in part because people told me even at 6.5 the FOV is pretty limited at 200 yards.

Not that I'll hunt with my gun, but round here, 50 yards is a long shot (lotta underbrush)

SO if yer thinking hunting, I'd go with the lower power.

I'll add this - I'm not sure one gun can really be BOTH a 1,000 gun, and a hunting rifle, both in terms of weight, and scope. That may be nothing more than my opinion...

10mil turrets, zero stop, locking turrets, capped windage, 34mm tube. Everything else is a wash. The M5A2 is a good scope, love mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the 6.5x20 in part because people told me even at 6.5 the FOV is pretty limited at 200 yards.
</div></div>

Once you've got your scope, did you find 6.5 limiting FOV too much?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'll add this - I'm not sure one gun can really be BOTH a 1,000 gun, and a hunting rifle, both in terms of weight, and scope. That may be nothing more than my opinion... </div></div>

Of course, you are right... My rifle is a Steyr Pro Varmint, which is not perfect for long range shooting, but it is my first .308 rifle, so I decided to use it for both mid and long range shooting, and if I get addicted to the long range :) I'll go for a much suitable rifle and for a much suitable scope (probably up to 32x or even higher).

mark 4 er/t... great scope... what power...depends on where you are hunting... 20x is more than enough to hunt with and shoot 1000m.... the way it will appear looking through the scope with 20x at 1k is 50M... the way it will appear at 25x will be 40M... the question is can you hunt with a scope lowest power being 8x????

i use to have a mark 4 er/t 8.5-25x50....was a great scope... that being said... my nightforce 8-32x56 will be here tuesday....

just my .02

I personally would've chosen the 6.5 model due to the 34 mm tube. If it is equal scopes with the same size tube and M5 turrets then I would go to the 8.5 model.

The 34 mm tube usually gives more elevation to take it out at farther ranges. If your are serious about taking it to long distance I would look first on the total elevation available to the scope and try to match it with your dope card.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UA-AU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Once you've got your scope, did you find 6.5 limiting FOV too much?

</div></div>

I don't have teh scope yet, but will do a range report once it comes in and the rifle is assembled.

Have you considered the Mark 8 3.5-25x56?