• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold Mk 4 Vs. Nightforce

Verminator2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
Eastern Oregon
I am wondering how close the two scopes are to each other? Lets call it an 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 and a NXS 5.5x22x50. Is the Nightforce worth the extra money? I know Leupolds warranty is top notch, how about Nightforce? (Not that I'll ever need it) Thanks.

Re: Leupold Mk 4 Vs. Nightforce

Definite diff in optics between the two. NF customer service is fantastic. If you miss; it probably won't be because of the glass!
grin.gif

I had a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 and still do have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15.

Optics look pretty similar me. I haven't done any actual "testing" of that, just my impression. For me, the NXS wins mainly due to the turrets. They click positive and feel GREAT. The Mk4's turrets are OK, just *somewhat* mushy and not as audible. You can still feel the clicks, just not as positive as the NXS. I actually prefer the turrets on my Burris XTR over the Mk4.

The Mk4 that was on my 300 RUM is now gone because I've been so happy with my NXS. I will be replacing it with another NXS or a USO. Before playing with my NXS I was thrilled with my Mk4... I just really like my NXS and it made me not so thrilled with the Leupy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verminator2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering how close the two scopes are to each other?</div></div>Put them next to each other and measure the distance.
laugh.gif

Serioulsy, though: The warranty is good, but that's because with Leupold YOU are the quality control. When all things are considered, NF is the better value.

I would say: Buy a used NF without zero stops from someone here, for the price of a new Leoplodder.

Tracking and repeatability are what you need, and why NF is worth the extra money.

I have both and, with mine, there is no noticable difference in glass quality. NF wins for me due to the matching turrets/reticle. If the Mark 4 matched, I would care less which one I was using.

BTW- The Mark 4 (8.5-25x) I have replaced a NF (8-32x) and I haven't regretted the move. Both had mil-dot reticles and the Leupy reticle is much thinner. It is on a rifle used primarily for F-class, etc. and the NF mil-dot was just too thick for my tastes. The rifle I use for tactical matches sports a NXS with NP-R2 reticle. Future NXS purchases will probably be MLR ret/mil knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold Mk 4 Vs. Nightforce</div></div>
Have both and will gladly trade out every MK4 scope I have for NF glass.</div></div>

I totally agree, in fact I would give two leupold for 1 Nightforce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in fact I would give two leupold for 1 Nightforce</div></div>

Watcha got??
grin.gif

Thanks, I guess I will be going with the Nightforce when I am ready to get one. Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold Mk 4 Vs. Nightforce</div></div>
Have both and will gladly trade out every MK4 scope I have for NF glass.</div></div>

I totally agree, in fact I would give two leupold for 1 Nightforce </div></div>

I've been mulling over this same choice as the OP. The above is a pretty strong endorsement as to which choice may be best!
grin.gif

I've had 4 MK4's and no nightforces, and I'll have to vote NF (hence the "had", the only keeper outta the bunch has been my 16X Ultra).

when you consider that the NSX 5.5x22x50 comes with a lit reticle (as do all NF scopes) the price is the much the same as a MKIV 8.5x25x50 and haveing a 5.5 will be MUCH more usefull than an 8.5

NF all the way, but I also have a mark 4 and I really like it as well. Like Graham said "Tracking and repeatability" is the big advantage the NF has over the Leupold. If you are going to be clicking alot, such as counting your scopes clicks down to bottom and back up to a zero for a certain yardage then you should defiantley go with the NF otherwise I would say the Leupold would get the job done with ease.

My experience with Luepy and NF doesn't give one an advantage over the other in the "tracking and repeatability" department. They both do it well, IMHO. I have cranked the hell out of both and not had a tracking or return to zero problem with either.

I haven't had a problem with my Leupold tracking, but I have not cranked on the knobs much at all. I have however cranked the knobs on my NF a lot and it returns to zero perfectly evrytime. The person that I got the information from about the Leupold having problems tracking is Lance Dement and several other people on the US Army service rifle team said the same thing about the Leupold. The Army team uses NF on all their LR rifles, that says enough about NF for me.

I've got a NF 3.5-15x50 and love it. Scope is crystal clear and with the illuminated reticle you have no problems shooting at dusk. The scope is extremely well built and can take some punishment. Just my opinion. For hunting I own a few leupold, but for tactical purposes I'd go with the NF.

I personally can not see any difference in glass quality between Leupold and NF.

But, I can line up Leupold, NF, USO and S&B and not see a dimes worth of difference in image quality or ability to discern the target. They are all excellent in every condition under which I have used them, which admittedly are pretty pedestrian when compared to those who use them in the line of duty.

Buy the one that is the best value unless you feel compelled to sport a certain brand.

I just got my first NF a while ago, same deal, as $$$ permits I will be swapping them all out. Im not knocking the leupold as I have been using only leupold for about 18 years , just the NF is better IMHO.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold Mk 4 Vs. Nightforce</div></div>
Have both and will gladly trade out every MK4 scope I have for NF glass. </div></div>

I'm a NF guy and have 3 scopes. I also have 2 Leupolds for a specific purpose:
Lightweight, reliable hunting scope. I'm not going to continuously crank on the elevation and windage knobs and I'm confident the Leupolds will serve as fine hunting scopes. They are very lightweight for the specs. Also, the Alumina flip-back covers are the best: pricey too.

From my experience, on the variable power Leupolds: the eye relief will shift depending on the magnification. This is particularly annoying because when it is on 8.5x I have to move my stockweld all the way back to get a complete sight picture and when on 25x I have to move it all the way forward. I have not noticed this problem on Nightforces.

I have a Mark 4 I want to sell to get a NXS 5.5-22. I really like the TMR retical of the Leupold especially since it just barely does not touch in the center. You can easily hold pin point on exactly every time at closer ranges shot after shot and not cover up the target with the retical. It really helps IMO when you are shooting for groups. I consede that is not really the point of a tactical setup but I am not a Mil/LEO sniper either. I want the NXS for more magnification for use in F class matches. I am going to go with the MLR retical and I think it would be PERFECT if they did like Leupold and left just the center open where the lines did not actually touch.

I got the chance to look through a NXS at 300 yards but the mirage was really bad that day. So as far as glass I really could not see much difference but as stated it really was a bad day to try to see crystal clear targets at 300. The Parallex adjustment however was butter smooth on the NF. Much smoother feel than on my Mark 4. And as stated the adjustments are spot on. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is nightforce worth almost twice the mark 4? </div></div>

Yes. Better reticles, better glass, more features.

I currently have a mark 4, 8.5-25x50. It is a great scope but, I think that the NF is better. I will be upgrading shortly to a NF or a Vortex Razor.

One thing that I really don't like about the mark 4 is when I adjust the turrets, its not always a positive click.

Nightforce all the way. It is worth the extra money because it's illuminated. The best is the variety of reticles they have and that they can have matching turrets. I also think the Nightforce glass is clearer. Customer service is great cuz I called and bugged them for almost an hour on which reticle is better. Awesome people and you probably won't need to call them
for any other reason.

NXS hands down.

Better Glass
Better reticle choices
One of most reliable scopes out there.
Lit Reticle
Customer Service is great...even though you will probably never use it.
More features such as MOA/MOA and MIL MIL. Zero Stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My experience with Luepy and NF doesn't give one an advantage over the other in the "tracking and repeatability" department. They both do it well, IMHO. I have cranked the hell out of both and not had a tracking or return to zero problem with either. </div></div>Check your Leupy for reticle subtension against the hard stop. You may indeed have one of the accurate ones.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xhodzax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is nightforce worth almost twice the mark 4? </div></div>

Having used Leupolds extensively in the Army and having owned NF I will say yes, the NF is worth the extra.

In my opinion nf have it over leopold in every way better glass better reticlces better elevation and lineage knobs more rugged and way better cs ...leopold aren't up to standards of a nf would rather pay 3 times the price for a nf then buy a leopold I see leopold as a cheap low end scope for a tactical rifle get a tactical scope get the night force you will not regret it at all but if u get the leopold you'll always be thinking bout the nf

I own a NF scope and recently tested a Leupold Mk4 on a 7mmRUM.

After sighting the rifle in at 100m, I reset the "0" mark on the Leupold Mk4 elevation turret to line up with the index mark. When I tightened the grub screw, the reticle would shift POI by about 3" and also the turret would become very hard to move.

Is this a common fault?

NXS's are the only way to go. I've shot both and and the Nightforce wins hands down. You get what you pay for period...

NXS. Great CS and resale value is always decent....

heard too many bad things about the newer Leupys.... no experience... but just heard.

I just pickup one of the Leupold 6.5-10x50 FFP TMR M5. I like it. I will also in the future get a NF. I like both (just like at one, don't own). We need to support the gun industry as much as we can. So I will try different scopes makers and do my part. I think the type of shooting will help you decide on the scope.

Regards, John

The Nightforce is very hard to beat especial there SFP scopes. I have been playing with a Leupold Mark 4 M5 1/10mil FFP scope and have been really like it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CuygTsi7Lpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Mike @ CST

If your poi is changing then its not tracking which is a common problem with leopold I believe inferior scopes...

I have two Leupold Mark 4's and one Nightforce. The Nightforce is my favorite because of one problem with the Leupold that hasn't been mentioned. One of my Leupolds has lash in the parralax adjustment and must be turned to infinity and then back. The other does not have the problem but in researching I have found that it is a common Leupold complaint. Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamedogs4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your poi is changing then its not tracking which is a common problem with leopold I believe inferior scopes... </div></div>

own 3 leupies and 2 NF. I never have any problem with POI or tracking problem that you speak of.

I HAD the Leupold 8.5x25x50 scope. It was a POS! I sent it back to Leupold 2 times witin 3 weeks for the same damn problem. I had particles attaching to the inner part of the front lens. WHen it came back the first time, leupold said it was cleaned out.. I remounted it, shot (5) rounds, and got the same issue again. Sent it back to leupold, they returned it "cleaned" again. I shot it again, and same problem, so I sold it. IMO, screw leupold..

But on the other hand, buy what you want, and what your wallet allows
smile.gif

I had bought 2 Leupold scopes at the same time, a Mark 4 10x and a Mark 4 3.5-10 M3 when mounting them there seemed to be a noticable difference in quality, weight. I think the fixed scopes were made much tougher. I still save my money for the NFs, there are a many cool scopes on the market but NFs still seem to have the best features vs cost vs reliability vs resale (but Im not selling mine).

i have had alot of experience with a variety leupolds, mk2, 3 and 4 and i have recently experienced NF and NF is worth ten times in every department, after experiencing quality optics i can reasonably say i will never buy another leupold scope unless something drastically changes, eg ability to track, quality control etc leupold seem to be after quick profits which will only cause short term gain long term pain

I'm sure there are exceptions maybe 90% of there scopes aren't that bad but the problem for me is mainly the inconsistency in quality ... I dnt think of leopold ad bring even in the same league its like comparing a Hyundai gets to an r34 the or comparing milwakee tools to supatool ... leopold are ok scopes but for any one who needs consistency I'd have too say go with the nf every time for the price... but if leopold would bring out a good scope is be happy to pay nf prices but for now I personally dis like them immensely due to personal experience and research .... ill bet you'd never swap your 2 nf for more leopold

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamedogs4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ill bet you'd never swap your 2 nf for more leopold </div></div>

Thats just silly. You get two similarly equipted MK4 scopes to trade and I will buy a comparable NF scope for you. That kind of arguement is never going to work out. It has more to do with cost than loyalty to either brand, Two NF will cost more than one Leupold....why would anyone switch. Two Leupolds will cost almost as much as one NF depending on the model. I will give you two MK4 4.5-14X40's for One NF-F1. I don't think you could find two NF scopes that would come in underneath any of the current Leupold scopes. It's simple economics that prevents anyone from taking that deal not superior optics on either side.

I have owned and used various Leupold scopes over the last 23 years. I have never had an issue with any of them. For work they have almost exclusively been Leupold scopes again, I have nothing but good to say about them.

I recently sold my MK4 LR/T 3.5-10X40 not because there was anything wrong with the scope, but rather because I wanted to try the new Leupold ER/T model. If the buyer falls though on my old scope, I won't be upset. I will just have to buy another rifle to put it on. I am sure my wife will understand that logic.

I always think these arguments are very Ford vs. Chevy. They each have strengths and weaknesses. I can say without hesitation, I like NightForce scopes. If they would come down in price, I would think they were a much better value.

I really don't get the emotional attachment that is obvious in many posts. They are optical sights for heavens sakes, not some monolithical god that we are going to go to war over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I always think these arguments are very Ford vs. Chevy. </div></div>
I would say that S&B vs. Tasco would be more like Ford vs. Chevy, with the S&B representing Ford.
grin.gif

A lot of hatin' on the Leupold here. Are they really that bad or are all the NF fans just using this thread as a pile on?