• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold MK 5 Issues?

LR51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2019
Any of you guys shooting ELR having turret or tracking issues with the Leupold MK5 series specifically the 5-25x? I was looking at purchasing one and heard that some shooters are experiencing tracking issues with them. Would love to hear from you folks who really stretch them out.

I can’t speak for the 5-25x Specifically but I’ve run the 7-35x for ELR since 2018, and the 3.6-18x for work, haven’t noticed (or heard) of anyone complaining amongst the competitors or students I’ve crossed paths with.

Not necessarily ELR but my 5-25 has been dialed out to 1200 yards and back to zero a few hundred times. Countless dialing to 11 mils or so. Still tracks 100%. My 3 other 3.6-18 track 100% as well.

Reactions: Northman623
I can’t speak for the 5-25x Specifically but I’ve run the 7-35x for ELR since 2018, and the 3.6-18x for work, haven’t noticed (or heard) of anyone complaining amongst the competitors or students I’ve crossed paths with.

Where or what do you teach?

Rudy how do you like your 7-35? I’ve been looking at them the only thing holding me back is the Reticle choices

Rudy how do you like your 7-35? I’ve been looking at them the only thing holding me back is the Reticle choices

I like the 7-35x quite nicely for ELR ish stuff, for just normal long range precision, or smaller rifles, I think it’s a bit much in terms of the foot print and I find the 7x just isn’t low enough. I Probably be happy with a offset MRDS but my normal go to mount is currently only in 34mm. I am sure there is already something out but I just haven’t had time yet figured it out.

Overall I really like what I’ve seen from the whole Mk5 series. I’ve seen probably 8-10 come through our classes this year and we haven’t see issues. Essential I find the Mk5 is everything the Mk6 almost was and then some.

My 5-25 has been perfectly repeatable. I haven't put it on a tall target since I got it, but it's still holding the same dope so I'm assuming it hasn't changed.

Any of you guys shooting ELR having turret or tracking issues with the Leupold MK5 series specifically the 5-25x? I was looking at purchasing one and heard that some shooters are experiencing tracking issues with them. Would love to hear from you folks who really stretch them out.
I have two of them ... one on a MPA-300WMBA and the other on a Barret MRAD 300-WM. Both are awesome and I have several 1-mile hits with them. Never an issue with the scope ... when I miss at long distances ... it's the "Human".

Reactions: LR51
I'm running a 7-35x on a DT HTI in .50 BMG from 500 meters out to a mile. No tracking or turret issues.

I think Leupold had issues early on with the Mk6 3-18 M5B2 turrets ... Mark 5HDs have had a good track record...as well as Mark 6's with the M5C2

Reactions: LR51
I have a 5-25 on my match rifle and backup/trainer rifle and tall target tested them when I first got them and they tracked perfectly. Since then the match rifle has seen about 7k rounds and the backup 11k and they routinely go out to 1600 with no issues.

Reactions: Northman623
I have several friends who run them, and they are all happy with the 5-25 Mk5. The only complaint I heard about them was from a friend of mine at our last PRS match. It was cold, overcast, and snowing that day (Gotta love MN). He was unable to see a KYL rack that was in the weeds at 498 yards. I was able to see the gongs just fine with my Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56. I wish I would have taken a look through his and compared it to mine side by side though.

But everyone else seems to be really happy with them. I would still consider buying one.

I have three of those, and four other Leupold Mark-5 HD's with more or less magnification ... they all track and function flawlessly. Best scope money can buy ... IMHO.