• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Leupold Mk4 Spotter - best option or cheaper alternatives?

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    Looking to get a mil reticle spotter. Looking to be able to spot hits on steel out to a 1000, possibly attach a pvs14 and illuminator (bonus items).

Natchez has these for 1400. Are there other options out there sub $1000 i should look at?

I’ve been using the Bushnell legacy I think? It’s basically a mk4 copy. I’ve spotted hits out over a grand with it and like it pretty well. Here’s a photograph through it with my phone.
    2B047E95-DA4E-4F11-AC94-F58FC5CD3B40.png

Get the Mk4. It has the most accessories available for it (in order to say mount a PVS-14 or 30 and illuminator). It's also quite a nice spotter. The glass isn't even remotely comparable to the Bushnell Legend Tactical referenced above (I've compared them side by side).

I was debating getting one and didn't and regret it. Here's a link to an in depth review I did on other mid range spotters with reticles: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tters-with-reticle-review-comparison.6971166/

Here is a bushy 15x45 at mileish.

And at 2300
    5AEC6B35-916B-46ED-B5E3-8D35E3A9555A.jpeg

the MK4 glass is without a doubt superior to the bushy.

MK4 is intriguing to me right now. Looking at it and came across this thread...may go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

Reactions: scotchtape
    Get the Mk4. It has the most accessories available for it (in order to say mount a PVS-14 or 30 and illuminator). It's also quite a nice spotter. The glass isn't even remotely comparable to the Bushnell Legend Tactical referenced above (I've compared them side by side).

I was debating getting one and didn't and regret it. Here's a link to an in depth review I did on other mid range spotters with reticles: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tters-with-reticle-review-comparison.6971166/

Great review!!

Did the mk4 you pick up have flash or quick range reticle features or just standard xmas tree?

Also another vote for the mk4 at that price range. Got mine off of natchez in March with the inverted h32, really served me well at 100 to 1100.

Reactions: sleeplz
    The upside down h32 bothered me at first but I got use to it. You can always buy mounts to flip the mk4 around if you have to use the numbers. If you ever go to matches, people will have spotters out and as long as your not a deuch, you'll he able to look through all of them. The mk4 has great eye relief compared to other spotters and glass looks great.

The upside down h32 bothered me at first but I got use to it. You can always buy mounts to flip the mk4 around if you have to use the numbers. If you ever go to matches, people will have spotters out and as long as your not a deuch, you'll he able to look through all of them. The mk4 has great eye relief compared to other spotters and glass looks great.

Looks like you almost have to get the badger ordnance setup to flip it upside down to use the reticle like a periscope, right?

Looks like you almost have to get the badger ordnance setup to flip it upside down to use the reticle like a periscope, right?

I mounted mine in the below product. Slapped an ARCA plate on both sides so I can either throw it in the tripod or hang it from another smaller tripod:

Reactions: NHPiper
    I think the MK4 is hard to beat at the $1500-$2000 price point. Glass is good but not spectacular. If you're going to be on a scope all day all week teaching classes I'd probably save for a Hensoldt or a Swaro STR.

For the amount of spotting I do it's more than adequate, and as suggested, it's probably the best choice if you plan to accessorize. The Badger setup isn't cheap but it's very elegant and versatile. You can run a clip on in front of it and still digiscope with a camera behind it.

Throw an Abel table into the mix and now you've got a full featured observation platform. I'm going to be able to mount my phone for pairing with the Kestrel for firing solution data and even my Trimble shortly.

I want to grab a Kestrel HUD so if shooting ELR with a spotter he can call windage changes on the fly and they'll be visible both at the platform on the phone and at the gun on the HUD.

Eventually I'm tying in a rangefinder, I'd like to do the Leica 3500.com but I'm watching to see how the pairing and communication shakes out.

Initially it seemed like they had problems but a Kestrel firmware update may have resolved a bunch of it, but there's another thread right now saying the 3200.com binos don't work for shit. 🤷🏼‍♂️

So the LRF is on hold for now as I can do that manually/individually.

DSC_0010.JPG

Last edited:
    I mounted mine in the below product. Slapped an ARCA plate on both sides so I can either throw it in the tripod or hang it from another smaller tripod:

Really good looking product for a reasonable price! Only downside I see os no way to mount a clip on up front.

I've just picked up Atholon Cronus 7-42x60 w/mil reticle. Was looking to get the Bushnell Legend, but for little more $$ is a good middle of the road compromise.

I've just picked up Atholon Cronus 7-42x60 w/mil reticle. Was looking to get the Bushnell Legend, but for little more $$ is a good middle of the road compromise.

I've got that same spotter and other than having to send it back early on to get the focus ring repaired (the outer part separated from the inner ring and just spun loosely), it's worked great. The glass and reticle are nice and it's robust. My only real beef with it is that it's manufactured by commies and I didn't realize that at the outset (thought it was Japanese like the Bushy LMSS).

Reactions: ugsly308
    I bought my Mk4 with TMR FFP reticle on ebay for 700$ and for the money would be hard to beat,,spotting 7mm hits on white steel at a mile is no problem,,and it is very light and compact for backpacking it in on hunts,,sure there are 3-5000$$ spotters that have better glass but its not like a scope where it has to hold zero,,
    For poor folks like me a used MK 4 is a really good spotter

Reactions: NHPiper
    That's crazy they are going for over $1400 now.

I got mine for $1139 shipped in late 2016 from Scopelist. Now they have them at $1699 😯

There really is nothing else though that is better unless you spend $3K plus that I have seen.

Another option is you can pick up the Burris with a reticle eyepiece. That reticle eyepiece also fits Gen 1 Razors. I think I would go with a Razor over the MK4.

I have the Minox MD80RZ spotter with a reticle. I was looking at the Mk4 hard because of the reticle option. The one thing that I did notice was the Mk4 has a lense coating on it for LRF protection. I did notice a slight haze ( I run Mk5 scopes on my rifles so I am not bashing Leupolds). This "haze" was confirmed with my Snipers from my department. I am pretty happy with the Minox spotter, super clear. It is the higher power 60x,and sometimes I do wish I had the 45x model for spotting steel and seeing trace.
    Unfortunately I now find myself going to my 15x Meopta binos for all my matches, they are amazing. I just wish there was a reticle on them for helping with holdover during matches.

I recently acquired the Athlon Cronus 7-42 Tactical from the PX. 1st spotter with reticle for me. Have not used at range or comp yet but glassing around my place I really like the layout of the reticle and the quick ranging additional hash marks included in the reticle. Glass could always be better but not in budget. Have looked thru some Leupold spotters during matches and they are certainly nice. I have a red dot mounted on top for quick acquisition of target and co-witness to the scope reticle. Planning to make a mount for my LRF as well because my math skills sometimes lack a little. I road the short bus to school for a few years.

I have the Minox MD80RZ spotter with a reticle. I was looking at the Mk4 hard because of the reticle option. The one thing that I did notice was the Mk4 has a lense coating on it for LRF protection. I did notice a slight haze ( I run Mk5 scopes on my rifles so I am not bashing Leupolds). This "haze" was confirmed with my Snipers from my department. I am pretty happy with the Minox spotter, super clear. It is the higher power 60x,and sometimes I do wish I had the 45x model for spotting steel and seeing trace.
    Unfortunately I now find myself going to my 15x Meopta binos for all my matches, they are amazing. I just wish there was a reticle on them for helping with holdover during matches.
    What is lrf protection? Blocks lrf's ranging towards the glass?

Run the athlon with mil reticle also, cant beat it for the money. I also had to send mine back for the focus ring breaking, much better now and service was great. Had a leupold Gold ring with the the H32 reticle, it was great glass but could not get the reticle crisp for my eyes (no diopter adjustment) and did not like how thick the reticle lines were. With the Athlon I can get the reticle crisp to my eyes and it has thin lines to make better calls. The Athlon has a longer eye relief as its built more like a rifle scope. For the money I believe the Athlon is a great value but the glass is lacking compared to a leupold gold ring.

Casey

I've used my mk4 spotter for a decade.
    Added the badger a few years ago.
    Attached my old faithful pvs22, radius and a perst.
    Recently I switched to the pvs27 I bought here and it really complementary of the glass on both units.
    It's a heavy bastard with all that crap but man it really works well.
    I've never been disappointed with this mk4.
    Several people who I shoot with have different brands and I've been not-impressed, to be nice here with the light gathering and lack of clarity compared to my Poor's mk4.
    I'd really like to check out the high end spotters just to see how fantastic they are.

I picked up the Mark 4 black armored w/TMR reticle and am using it differently than a lot of folks, I think. My friends and I shoot long range .22 and cast bullet centerfire rifle at what we consider long range. So far my farthest targets are at 440 yards. The arching trajectory of our ammo requires good range estimation and drop tables. Our .22 targets for start out as 1"swingers and progress to 10" swingers at 300 and beyond. We place the targets at random distances so the ability to range with the spotting scope is helpful. I find my Mark 4 to be clear, precise, and easy to use. I paid just over 1200, and cringed a bit when I did.
    My question for those of you with a lot more experience using this type of equipment is in regards to an appropriate tripod. I will not spend as much on a tripod as I did for the scope, that's just a non starter. I am not a sniper, nor will I pack a spotting scope and tripod on a hunt. I need a stable, affordable, tripod system for primarily range use . I would be in the $300 market, am boycotting China, and am interested in your opinions.
    Thanks,
    H.W.

I picked up the Mark 4 black armored w/TMR reticle and am using it differently than a lot of folks, I think. My friends and I shoot long range .22 and cast bullet centerfire rifle at what we consider long range. So far my farthest targets are at 440 yards. The arching trajectory of our ammo requires good range estimation and drop tables. Our .22 targets for start out as 1"swingers and progress to 10" swingers at 300 and beyond. We place the targets at random distances so the ability to range with the spotting scope is helpful. I find my Mark 4 to be clear, precise, and easy to use. I paid just over 1200, and cringed a bit when I did.
    My question for those of you with a lot more experience using this type of equipment is in regards to an appropriate tripod. I will not spend as much on a tripod as I did for the scope, that's just a non starter. I am not a sniper, nor will I pack a spotting scope and tripod on a hunt. I need a stable, affordable, tripod system for primarily range use . I would be in the $300 market, am boycotting China, and am interested in your opinions.
    Thanks,
    H.W.

The Pig Saddle tripod would work I'd think.

Is it easier to see trace with a lower power optic? Would it not work just as well to just dial the 60x back to 30x for trace?

Where in NH are you?
    I've got a MK4 with Mildot mounted in a KDG Optics HUB if you want to get some eye time behind it. If you have a PVS, I have an ATPIAL if you want to check it out at night.