• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R Patrol excitement? Why?

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
I seen a few excited mentions of this scope around the net. I don't understand why. Nightforce has had their 32mm Compact out for awhile. It has more options. Of course, it is quite a bit more expensive, but I think with good reason.

What am I missing? Is it simply due to cost?

Re: Leupold VX-R Patrol excitement? Why?

Yea cost is why I like it. It's pretty much a Mil/Mil MK4 for $600.

We dont expect canadians to understand.
wink.gif

Honestly- to me it's bang for the buck. Good features on a relatively inexpensive scope from a company that an awful lot of le agencies have come to trust over decades. I like the looks of the low profile turrets too. Would love to test one out.

For me it's the simple fact that I like being a optics whore and turning everyones knobs.

I've owned NF. Good scope, sold it and moved on. Owned a SS 3-9 sold it and moved on. Currently have a SS 5-20 on a .308 sold the SS 5-20 I had on a SPR. Have a Pst 2.5-10 on another .308 and so far I'm loving that little scope. Now I have to reglass the SPR so I'm thinking about running the VX-R 3-9 TMR.

Some people only buy NF. I understand it but I won't do it. I get bored easy I guess. I want to see what the other companies have to offer.

To each his own but for me, zero stop and a little more adjustment aren't worth an additional $600. I haven't compared the glass side by side. Maybe there's $600 in the NF glass quality but I doubt it.

The glass is very good. It is not the in the same class as the NF or M4. It is a great little scope for hunting and informal targer shooting. I got one for a 6.8 ar. Just for those reasons. And it is has low profile mil/mil adjustments.

John

I would argue it's as good as current Mark 4s
I have tested both back to back into darkness

Glass quality on the 3-9x40 is right there with the Trjicon Accupoint 3-9x40

I have both and have tested in the field behind my house watching deer at 200 yards into complete darkness many times comparing scopes directly against each other.

The VXRs have their lead free glass and is quite impressive in low light testing and resolution.

I also have a 1.25-4 Patrol I am running on my 5.56 for 3Gun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The glass is very good. It is not the in the same class as the NF or M4. It is a great little scope for hunting and informal targer shooting. I got one for a 6.8 ar. Just for those reasons. And it is has low profile mil/mil adjustments.

John </div></div>

Pretty sure they are the same glass. Both are Leupold's "Index matched lens system".

ETA: Looks like Leupold has changed Mark 4s over to their Extended Twilight glass like the VX-3s finally. So if that is the case it should be similar glass quality to the older Mark 4s.

You guys make me jealous. I live in such a gun phobic environment. I never get to try anything. If I find something that works I stick with it. I guess if I had the opportunity I would want to try different stuff too.