• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold VX-R with Firedot reticle

kennyhollingsworth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2011
NC
What is everyones opinion on the VX-R? I purchased one last week for my 308 build. Ordered the 4x14-40m with 30m tube. Custom turret for my Hornady 168 BTHP load. It should arrive early next week. I have all my rifle parts and will begin the process over the weekend. I was just wondering if anybody had one already and thoughts. I plan to use for hunting out to 500 and pleasure shooting at the range.

I've got a VX-R Patrol 3-9x. The reticle (and I'm sure you'll hear this from more than just me) is pretty thick. However, the rifle I have it on is a hunting/hog control rifle that I'd probably never get a chance to shoot past 400yds on. To me, the reticle thickness is not as important on this particular setup, I just need to see it quickly and the thicker reticle helps me do that. The firedot defintely helps at low-light and on dark targets. I can still shoot sub MOA with the rifle too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for my particular setup it works almost perfectly (the mil hash marks are a bit of a pain to discern from each other). The price was good too.

If you are planning on using this for a hunting rifle I think you will be pretty happy. If you want to primarily target shoot and are looking for the smallest groups possible, there are better options for the price.

Hope that this helps.

Forgot to add that the glass quality is pretty good for the money too (albeit glass quality is very subjective). There are better options out there for picking up the last few minutes of hunting light, but they cost quite a bit more.

I agree with everything diggler said. I'll add that I find the VX-R Patrol to be very easy to get behind quickly. It's also light weight and compact. Very nice hunting scope in my opinion.

Thanks, it will be primarily a hunting setup. I hunt Wyoming and Nebraska each fall. Mostly archery, but have rifle plans this fall.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I have a VX-R 3-9x40 with the Ballistic Firedot on my Marlin XL7 in .30-06. Hunted the Gros Ventre and Medicine Bow areas of WY(AD military in CA, but WY resident) this Fall with my inlaws. I was happy with how the VX-R worked in the cold and snowy conditions. No problem with the firedot. Using 165 AccuBonds sighted at 200 yds, the ballistic marks matched up pretty well to 300, 400, and 500 yds when range testing. The dot is nice and quick for shots inside 300 yds and time critical.

I have tried a number of scopes on my AR and settled on the same scope you are getting. Its compact for a 30mm and I can get on a coyote pretty fast with the reticle out here in Wyo.