• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Leupold Zero Point Boresighter

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Gent's,

Has anyone had issues with the aforementioned? I purchased one a couple of weeks ago to get me on paper. I followed the instructions and I wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn this weekend. It took several rounds to finally get on paper.

I was initially hitting really low and had to crank up the elevation on my turret. Also, I neglected to mention I have an 18 MOA scope mount. Sight in was done at 100 yards.

What's strange is - the center of my glass is right around 2.5" above the center of the bore line. However, if I move the boresighter to 2" or even 3" above the bore line the reticle image within the boresighter doesn't change?

If someone can offer any help or suggestions - I would appreciate it...before I take it back for a refund and/or exchange (don't know if these can be defective). Perhaps it's user error...I promise I wasn't consuming adult beverages at the time
crazy.gif

Many thanks!

AvsFan

Re: Leupold Zero Point Boresighter

I have it too... and i hit low with a 20moa base. I think if i remember correctly - the height of the sighter isn't as important as the perpendicular-ness of the crown of the barrel to the line of your scope. i think there an assumption that your scope is parallel with your bore... which isn't the case with a forward slanting scope base or a crown that's not exactly straight?! that's how i read the concept of it.

Never use anything of the sort. I simply pull out the bolt, and bore-sight with my eye, peering down the bore on a 90 degree point. Adjust scope, check, adjust, then fire. I'm always on paper at 100 this way. I literally zeored my PR 5x25 in less than 8 rounds a couple months back, after trading off the Henny.

How about zeroing with 2 rounds?

Bore sight as usual and fire one round. Bag the rifle solidly and put the cross hair on your original aiming point. Without letting the rifle move adjust the scope til the cross hairs are on the bullet hole. Then fire one more round to confirm.

I am looking at a PR 5-25x56 but do not know about their turret set-up. How do you like yours?

OFG

I use one (also sight down the bore when I can). It gets me on paper (I start at 50yds just to make sure).

It definitely depends on how well your crown is aligned (90deg) to the scope axis. Both my TRGs line up closely to the cross hairs on the Leupold, other rifles not so well.

I find it very useful for removing and replacing scopes. If you note where the cross hairs are for your zero on the bore sight it's real easy to remove/replace a scope and have it very close to zero.

I find it to be one of the easiest and best boresighters on the market. When I first bought it, I did not understand how it could possibly work, but after reading some posts from others and the diretions, I ended up liking it more than my LASER boresighter.

I have one and don't use it anymore. It always seems to read low and right during veiwing. I've double checked it against my other bore sighters ( Redfield and Sweany). When using those I can be within a few inches at a 100 yards. But those sighters use a spud or arbor for setup instead of a magnet. I agree with the member's statement that it may have alot to do with the muzzle not being perfectly square to the rifle bore.

Then again it may be the tool itself is misaligned ( magnet and viewing grid).

Prehaps you got one of the "better" one's. Referring to the above member's statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about zeroing with 2 rounds?

Bore sight as usual and fire one round. Bag the rifle solidly and put the cross hair on your original aiming point. Without letting the rifle move adjust the scope til the cross hairs are on the bullet hole. Then fire one more round to confirm.

I am looking at a PR 5-25x56 but do not know about their turret set-up. How do you like yours?

OFG </div></div>

I love my PR, turrets rock.

I have one and have used it on 6 different guns to get zeroed in 2 shots. I've found that using the Zero Point point before and AFTER the first shot on a stable base and adjusting the turrets with the Zero Point on to POI works every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about zeroing with 2 rounds?

OFG</div></div>

This is how I do it. No fancy gizmos needed, just 2 rounds to zero.