• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Level crosshairs

aac_shooter

Silence is Golden
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
The Hill Country, Texas
Forgive me if there is a thread on this already, but what is the easiest way to get the crosshjairs of your scope perfectly level? It takes me forever to get this done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Level crosshairs

One way is with feeler gages. Frank had a write up with pic's on how to do that with the gages. I used them to mount a couple scopes and it worked great. Maybe someone here can direct you to that write up.

Another way is hang a cord with some kind of weight from the ceiling and use that cord has a plume line and line up the crosshair with the cord. Have done this in my garage and it works also. But the feeler gage is the way to go.

+1 feeler gauge method is super easy and only cost $7. You scope will be perfectly level every time.

Using feeler guages also makes sure the scope is level to the rifle. Using a plumb line will ensure the scope is correct, but you can still have the rifle canted.

Jim

Can anyone explain the feeler gauge method? Is there a link for instructions?

Cheers

pepperbelly said:
Using feeler guages also makes sure the scope is level to the rifle. Using a plumb line will ensure the scope is correct, but you can still have the rifle canted.

If you do use the plumb line, you do have to make sure that the rifle is completely level and not canted with some kind of bubble level. I use a small pen like bubble level for that, then the plumb line can be used with confidence. The feeler gage is the best way and most user friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
pepperbelly said:

If you do use the plumb line, you do have to make sure that the rifle is completely level and not canted with some kind of bubble level. I use a small pen like bubble level for that, then the plumb line can be used with confidence. The feeler gage is the best way and most user friendly. </div></div>

I use the Starret pocket level #135A across the optical mount and then use a plumb line that I painted flourescent orange. Works excellently for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Using feeler guages also makes sure the scope is level to the rifle. Using a plumb line will ensure the scope is correct, but you can still have the rifle canted.</div></div>

If you do use the plumb line, you do have to make sure that the rifle is completely level and not canted with some kind of bubble level. I use a small pen like bubble level for that, then the plumb line can be used with confidence. The feeler gage is the best way and most user friendly. </div></div>
I use a level on the rail to ensure that the rifle is perfectly level, and constantly check that the rifle remains level as I align the reticle's vertical post and crosshair with a plumb line. This has always worked well for me.

The "problem" with the feeler guage method is that it really only works when you are using a one-piece base. In order for the feeler guage method to be perfectly accurate, the turret block/saddle and the base need to be in firm contact with the guage's shims to ensure that the block/saddle (and thus the scope) are perfectly level. Any portion of the feeler guage's shims that are not in solid contact with the rail/base or scope turret block/saddle can result in canting of the guage's shims (canted shims result in leveling error of the scope itself).

Two-piece bases lack the continuous span of rail required to allow positioning of the feeler guage's shims where they can make full contact with the scope's turret block/saddle. Therefore, the best, most accurate way to level a scope when using a two-piece base/rail is to level the rifle, and while keeping the rifle level - align the reticle's vertical post and crosshair with a plumb line.

Keith

Depending on the rifle/scope combo you can also stand a 4ft carpenters level vertical against a wall and sight it once you know the rail is level and/or bore is vertical. Works quite well. Can be used to verify the accuracy of other methods too.

I just did this a few weeks ago. I have hard wood floors with floor to ceiling windows in my house. I put my rifle on its bi-pod and sight in on a neighbor's house at ~150yds. I used the corner of the house (there was good contrast for this line) and then used the feeler gauges. I also place a center-circle bubble level on top of the scope to ensure it's level.

You have to keep them (gauges) in between the scope and rail while you're tightening the ring screws or the act of tightening will cause the cross-hairs to cant again. I have to keep re-checking the level between each turn of the wrench. Though, keep in mind, that if you tighten enough w/o removing some of the gauges, you won't be able to remove them as they'll be clamped down tight between the scope and rail!

like battle axe above said with the level, much like the way i dot it.

starts towards the end of part 1:

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - base / scope / bipod / bore site PART 1

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - base / scope / bipod / bore site PART 2

level the rifle 1st, then level the crosshairs.

the feeler gauge metheod works also, but doing it with a round receiver makes it a bit tedious at times.

you can also make sure the rifle is level, then match up the vertical crosshair to a wire, rope, string, etc. hung up with a weight on the end. the plumb bob menthod.

I took a white sheet of paper and taped it to a wall at a convienient hieght, then placed a carpenter's level across the paper and with a sharpie drew a level horizontal line. Make sure your rifle is level, use lowest setting and focus (best you can) on the horizontal line with your horizontal crosshair. Rotate scope to match crosshairs to line.Worked great for me.