• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Liberty Optics Still Legit?

I imagine someone on here has his personal info because they are a personal friend or industry contact…maybe they’ll speak up.

Googling business standings on a public Gov website isn’t doxxing for fucks sake. It’s very literally published public information.

RIP Liberty Optics, I bought my first Premier scope from him a long time ago and it went great, but the abrupt disappearance of ya’lls money does not look good.

Would agree that I don’t think there’s any need to do a chargeback currently.

I didn’t think to ask when they were paid for, just got confirmation that they were paid.

I don’t think there’s any need to grab the pitchforks or do any chargebacks currently. If you’re concerned, Vortex was quick to answer the chat and give confirmation of the order. I’d suggest sitting tight for now.

Update, I missed a chat that recommended reaching out to my CC for a chargeback. Emailed [email protected] to confirm…

So they deleted his website, disconnected his phone, filed articles of termination with MT, and logged into his SH account and only deleted the thread with vortex sales.........
I get it. But it maybe a ransomware sort of threat. Like, “Look at what we can do. We have your data, control your biz phone, & passwords. Pay up.”

Just spitballing. Doesn’t make sense otherwise, really. He hasn’t acted like a Theis in the past.

Confirming the payment info seems a little off on some of the dates but it could be some sort of net 90 terms between Scott and vortex. May explain the abrupt break in orders paid for at vortex may not

Reactions: TheOE800
Vortex told me to dispute the charge and chase told me it was too much time and nothing they could do. Looks like I’m out of my money
This is what I think most people are going to run into. I believe most credit cards have a 60 day chargeback period. After that you're SOL.

Still waiting to hear back from Vortex on my order at this point.

Reactions: Gasgun
Following for updates.

Bought my first scope from Scott many years ago, one of the first Steiner M5's to come into the country.

He was great to deal with. Not sure what's happening here, though hopefully no one is going to lose any money over this.

Googling business standings on a public Gov website isn’t doxxing for fucks sake. It’s very literally published public information.

RIP Liberty Optics, I bought my first Premier scope from him a long time ago and it went great, but the abrupt disappearance of ya’lls money does not look good.
I've spent alot of money with him over the years too. Always my go to if he stocked it. Ordered my first "expensive" scope from him from a sat phone in Iraq. An IOR 2-12 ffp about 20 years ago.

By law the minimum chargeback time limit is 60 days however most institutions give 120 days. That being said every institution sets their own time limits. Check with your cc company.

This sucks ass for anyone who paid him and is beyond the period for a charge back. Generally charge backs aren’t allowed after 120 days so if you have any doubt about whether or not your order was submitted I would suggest you do so and not wait.

This is why it’s a good idea to do business with a large retailer and not the fly by night one man shows. Scott had a good run and provided deep discounts for many years blatantly skirting MAP policies, but as you can see it appears to have come to an end in about the worst way imaginable. Hopefully he’s got some kind of a plan to reimburse those who made payments and aren’t able to do charge backs or orders weren’t paid for to the manufacturer/distributor.

I had been trying to get a refund from him for over a month. Kept getting the “I’ve been traveling, I’ll process it on Friday” excuse via email. Wanted to give him a chance before making a post, but it looks like my gut instinct may be correct.

Last edited:
By law the minimum chargeback time limit is 60 days however most institutions give 120 days. That being said every institution sets their own time limits. Check with your cc company.

Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are all 120 days, discover will sometimes do beyond 120 days. Not sure on AMEX.

Reactions: BurtG
Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are all 120 days, discover will sometimes do beyond 120 days. Not sure on AMEX.
My Chase Sapphire (Visa) says this, "Submit your dispute within 60 days of the transaction first appearing on your statement." so I don't believe this is universally true.

Might be a hack.

Seems impossible that Scott would be shady.
Very possible. His site was trash, and he acknowledged it on the regular. Anyone who's been through a software security audit with a Pen-Tester can attest to an attacker being able to freaking shut you down if they want to. I'm hoping it's a hack, he's always seemed legit.

Reactions: CaseFinder
My Chase Sapphire (Visa) says this, "Submit your dispute within 60 days of the transaction first appearing on your statement." so I don't believe this is universally true.
I ordered on a Chase Sapphire. :/

Very possible. His site was trash, and he acknowledged it on the regular. Anyone who's been through a software security audit with a Pen-Tester can attest to an attacker being able to freaking shut you down if they want to. I'm hoping it's a hack, he's always seemed legit.
Might wanna go back and read the last 20-30 posts.

Reactions: Baron23
FYI, if anyone does manage to get a successful chargeback and still wants their scopes Shamus said he'll honor the original sale price if you ordered during that timeframe... That's very stand up of vortex.

Scott previously said in his now deleted px thread when he was submitting the July 4th sale orders to vortex, and my order was placed with Scott before that cutoff date and isn't in vortex's system even though he said he submitted the order to vortex, so I'm assuming the worst now.

Hope my credit card provider has mercy on me.

I was able to file Citi credit card dispute (partial dispute since I did receive a part of my order). Whether or not I get my money back, no clue. Massive kudos to Vortex for tryin to sort this out.

Background - I placed an order April 21st, received part of my order Aug 28th. Was told by Scott that an error was made in entering my order and the remaining order would be fulfilled and I followed up every few weeks with assurances that the remainder order will be next to ship. I checked with Mr Terry and unfortunately no order for me was placed and he recommended immediate dispute of charges.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Charmingmander
Might wanna go back and read the last 20-30 posts.
I read them all. Based on his site, I'll bet you $10 he used the same password on his Social Media, IRS, Liberty Optics, email, and phone accounts. One bad actor can lock up everything about you and your identity. All it would take is a vendor who's pissed at losing out on sales because he's flooding the market with ultra low priced Razor IIIs and he could get wrecked.

I'll admit though, that Vortex's side of the story makes the situation smell pretty iffy. 20 year track record is just hard to ignore.

I used a debit card, chase has said they put the funds back into my account and are sending liberty refund requests etc, not sure if itll last but it seems chase has my back on this for now.

Ive emailed Shamus Terry myself to see but expect the worst there.

I just looked and this is just one example but everything I pull up for visa says 120 days.

He literally closed his business with the state effective yesterday and hasn’t given any sort of an update to people he owes money to…

I read them all. Based on his site, I'll bet you $10 he used the same password on his Social Media, IRS, Liberty Optics, email, and phone accounts. One bad actor can lock up everything about you and your identity. All it would take is a vendor who's pissed at losing out on sales because he's flooding the market with ultra low priced Razor IIIs and he could get wrecked.

I'll admit though, that Vortex's side of the story makes the situation smell pretty iffy. 20 year track record is just hard to ignore.

While a 20 year track record is hard to ignore, silence on the matter is too. It wouldn’t be difficult to create a new SH account and update the masses. Vortex stated he’s past his net payment terms and that’s why they haven’t sent the optics out. For something you pay in advance for it’s not like he should be strapped for cash. Late June ordered were received but not paid for.

Shamus @ Vortex told me to issue a charge back. I've done so with my cc company.

I just looked and this is just one example but everything I pull up for visa says 120 days.

He literally closed his business with the state effective yesterday and hasn’t given any sort of an update to people he owes money to…
I was able to file a dispute with visa and they said they'll investigate.

I always thought it was funny reading how much everyone loved Scott. The one time I dealt with him, he was very short with answering any question and kind of an ass to deal with.

I got a refund on my order with him after making that phone call.

I hate it for you guys that lost money. Turns out, Scott wasn’t that awesome of a guy afterall.

It’s weird. If one was going to rip people off, why take the time to close your website, biz accts, and bother to delete one thread on SH?

I mean, why not just run off to Mexico?

It’s weird. If one was going to rip people off, why take the time to close your website, biz accts, and bother to delete one thread on SH?

I mean, why not just run off to Mexico?
Unless you’re filing for bankruptcy? (Answering my own question, maybe?)

I don’t know enough about that side of things.

I looked up the address listed on the article of termination. According to google street view (shows uodated 5 days ago) there’s a for rent sign in the front yard. The company on it doesn’t come up at all and I called the number and asked about a property for rent and the guy said I’ve got the wrong number and hung up on me. I called again and no answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 448
Has anyone received anything they ordered from June on?

I'm hoping this is a huge misunderstanding but the pessimist in me is starting to think this was planned for a while. Vortex doesn't seem to have been paid on anything for whatever their net terms are, 60, 90, who knows. Then there was the anniversary sale in August? which was supposed to have the biggest discounts ever. I'm sure tons of people ordered during that timeframe. At $2000 per order, that adds up pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I looked up the address listed on the article of termination. According to google street view (shows uodated 5 days ago) there’s a for rent sign in the front yard. The company on it doesn’t come up at all and I called the number and asked about a property for rent and the guy said I’ve got the wrong number and hung up on me. I called again and no answer.
I'm seeing Sept 2019 on that image.

Unless you’re filing for bankruptcy? (Answering my own question, maybe?)

I don’t know enough about that side of things.
Exactly. It looks like he is doing damage control and trying to get out of paying his creditor(s). If he was going to pay everyone back he would have refunded us then shut the company down or filled for dissolution. Why else would he try and delete the thread with all his posts that could be used against him in court. Good thing the internet never forgets

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
I just searched, and that house is owned by a lady out of Whitefish. So I assume he was renting it

Has anyone received anything they ordered from June on?

I'm hoping this is a huge misunderstanding but the pessimist in me is starting to this this was planned for a while. Vortex doesn't seem to have been paid on anything for whatever their net terms are, 60, 90, who knows. Then there was the anniversary sale in August? which was supposed to have the biggest discounts ever. I'm sure tons of people ordered during that timeframe. At $2000 per order, that adds up pretty quickly.
I ordered a pair of Sig Kilo 6k 10x32 binos from him in August July 19, and got them. Not a Vortex order per se, but it went off without a hitch.

Reactions: Vyx313
This is depressing. I have ordered a few things from him and he went above and beyond for me when I purchased a Kowa spotter from him. I talked to him on the phone and he was a stand up dude at the time. All the crazy shit happening in the world right now and it's something like this that just has me scratching my head. I REALLY want to believe that something weird happened that is somehow being missed and it isn't what it appears to be on the surface.

Fuck that POS, he received orders in early July and never placed the orders with Vortex then had a
"SALE" a few weeks later and posted that he was disappointed at the low volume of sales.

So he was filling his bag with his bugout money.

From some of the posts in this thread the Liberty Optics Shill Squad is on deployment.

Sorry to hear about this ordered several things from him in the past. Hope y’all get your money back so kind of way.

Dang... Scott was one of my 2 go to places for anything optics.

Also hoping it's just a hack but yes, the story from the Vortex side of things + the other info here doesn't look good. Would also like to echo the kudos to Vortex for doing what they can here. Hope everyone gets their money back and whatever happened to Scott gets resolved.