• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Liberty Optics Still Legit?

Well, that isn't a good sign. I just tried calling too and it says "your call could not be completed as dialed, please check the number and try again."

I've also got a few G3's on order from July and this sudden drop off has me concerned... But since vortex is drop shipping this stuff once stock is available, as long as Scott got the PO placed and payment and shipping info sent to vortex we should eventually get our scopes even if something did happen to him or the business. That's a big "if" though.

I don't think it's time to try confirming our order and payment status with vortex directly and/or initiate a credit card chargeback yet, but if Scott doesn't make contact with anyone here by the end of the week I'm going to try reaching out to vortex first to confirm my order has been placed and the associated PO from Scott is paid (in which case I'll just sit tight and wait for my scopes) or if vortex hasn't been paid I'll be contacting my credit card company to start the chargeback process.

Keeping my fingers crossed he's gone radio silent for a temporary medical/family emergency thing or something like that; I've always enjoyed talking to Scott over the years, but for him to just go dark on his website, nuke the large px thread here, and now apparently for the phone to stop working within 24 hours certainly isn't normal...
Why dont you think its time to confirm our orders?

Reactions: rijndael
Why dont you think its time to confirm our orders?

If you read down a couple more posts, as soon as Shamus at vortex confirmed that Scott hadn't been paying vortex for a while, I posted that I checked my July 4th order status with Shamus and he confirmed my July 4th order with Scott was never submitted to them. I posted that info about my order not being in vortex's system a bit up the thread and said I had started a chargeback.

My opinion of this matter changed as soon as more evidence became available, and subsequent posts from me show that.

Early on on this thread I was hoping for the best that Scott was just temporarily out of communication, but the business dissolution filing and Shamus's info were the tipping point. I was still hoping this wasn't the case because I bought my first scope from Scott around 2002 and have bought lots more from him since then and he was always a good dude to chat with. I hate to see things go down this way, but here we are.

Also, once again vortex is really helping out even though this whole mess is really no fault of theirs. I've dealt with their customer service twice in the past for broken PSTs and they were fantastic to deal with, and their service continues to be so. If my credit card company refunds me you bet your ass I'm taking Shamus up on his offer to complete the order direct with vortex.

This appears like Scott knew what he was doing.

He went out with a big fuck you to everyone who kept him in business. He is giving every small business man that bad reputation he fought to prevent

I have no insight nor contact with Scott in years to be honest. But this appears bad, premeditated if you ask me.

I would reach out to someone local to investigate it a bit. But it appears he did a buy and took off with the money. Sucks after how many years to do this, but all the signals are pointing to a problem.

This appears like Scott knew what he was doing.

He went out with a big fuck you to everyone who kept him in business. He is giving every small business man that bad reputation he fought to prevent

I have no insight nor contact with Scott in years to be honest. But this appears bad, premeditated if you ask me.

I would reach out to someone local to investigate it a bit. But it appears he did a buy and took off with the money. Sucks after how many years to do this, but all the signals are pointing to a problem.

Frank, any chance you could undelete Scott's big thread in the px but lock it so there's posts available to reference for when Scott said he submitted the orders to vortex? The post dates and times might help people out.

Frank, any chance you could undelete Scott's big thread in the px but lock it so there's posts available to reference for when Scott said he submitted the orders to vortex? The post dates and times might help people out.

This thread?

Looks like Frank is already on it.

Well that blows. I've had nothing but good interactions with Liberty optics as recently as June of this year.

Shame.

Reactions: lash
Just to reiterate, If you or anyone you know have Vortex Optics product on order and prepaid through Liberty Optics and have questions and/or concerns please email Shamus Terry directly at [email protected].

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this causes anyone.

v/r
Scott
I didnt order from Scott, but appreciate that you are willing to help people who did. That means a lot to me in terms of business.

Yeah, this does indeed suck.

You might want to visit archive.org and start screen shotting. Never know when stuff might be useful.

You can also go to google and type cache: (put url right next to colon, including http/https, without parentheses)

The google cache method does not work as well in this case.

Edit: above, I kept on getting an emoji when I typed a colon followed by a parenthesis. Sorta fixed it by adding a space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I'm very sorry for all that were taken by this fella. I do hope some of your CC's will honor a charge back but wouldn't be surprised if they were declined for charges made beyond the limit. But, I do hope for all.

And I think Vortex coming in, establishing great comms at a managerial level, and doing what they can speaks very well for the company and the employees in question.

Now, some of us have seen this sort of thing before....I've something slightly similar before with a shotgun outfit that was in MI.

Goes like this....Liberty took your money up front. Vortex gave him 60 or 90 day net terms. There's the float. And more that one small businessman could'nt resist the urge to dip into funds that really were not theirs...its just the float between incoming money and net terms to the manf. Then they get jammed up and it becomes a shell game with using new order money to try to pay the manf for older orders where the money was already spent. Its a very sad but not uncommon story.

As for those who still think that with this abundance of evidence that perhaps he was just hacked....well, you have too much faith in human nature, IMO.

Last edited:
Curious if there was some break down between Scott and Vortex that would trigger him to do something like this. Something’s very odd that he’d be willing to damage all parties involved, especially customers as he always seemed to be a man of the people. I imagine Scott would know all the possibilities of repercussions, such as calling former tenants, work, creditors, legal action etc… I hate this for the guys who are outside of the chargeback date. I’m also curious how Vortex didn’t find it odd that he didn’t submit any orders after the June/July. Also interesting that he filled orders for Sig(gentleman who ordered sig kilo 6k in July, in previous comments), but stopped filling orders for Vortex….

Reactions: xxerexx and lash
If any of you guys are active on Long Range Hunting forum, you may want to post something up over there to warn them.

I did a search over there & if he had a thread it's been deleted.

This is sad. I've purchased most of my scopes from either Scott or Grateful Doug. my last Liberty purchase was June/July Steiner TX6 and I received it.

For everyone’s info - I placed an order through Scott for a Steiner T6xi 3-18 on August 31st. I received a confirmation email from Burris a couple of days later and a shipping notification from them on the 14th. It seems for whatever reason the orders that weren’t placed were limited to Vortex’s. I’m feeling super bummed - I was going to place an order for another optic through him shortly.

For everyone’s info - I placed an order through Scott for a Steiner T6xi 3-18 on August 31st. I received a confirmation email from Burris a couple of days later and a shipping notification from them on the 14th. It seems for whatever reason the orders that weren’t placed were limited to Vortex’s. I’m feeling super bummed - I was going to place an order for another optic through him shortly.
I’m guessing majority of his orders were vortex. Assuming this was planned, he was probably pocketing the vortex $$$ but he had to get some scopes to people so all the non vortex stuff he actually submitted. It seemed like vortex always had a long lead time (even though they seemed to be in stock other vendors) so that made it possible to do what he’s apparently done

Crazy.. after years of lurking finally made an account... I will say while I am disappointed in Scott at liberty optics, dude seemed chill and legit when I spoke to him on the phone in July.

Be sure to do what others have said, CC dispute with your credit card company, escalate it if you need too for those that say 60 days. After that email Shamus at [email protected] . Vortex is going way beyond what I thought any company would do to help a consumer that got railed by a vendor.

Evening Folks,
Appreciate everyone who has reached out. Please continue to do so and ill reply asap.
Our customers are truly #1 priority and i will reply to each and every email.
My email is [email protected] and cell# 608-335-4486
Email will be the quickest way to get things moving and ill be on all evening to look after these.

Also, just so folks are informed. We received drop-ships for Liberty Optics up until this week. But they were not released until Vortex was paid.
In all of these cases i have been dealing with, i have the order information but they are just being held as we have not received payment.
I am hoping all of you can file a chargeback and get your money back.
It's very important that each of you are looked after and will help with any order needs to get things moving in a timely manner.

Thanks again for the opportunity
Shamus Terry

Evening Folks,
Appreciate everyone who has reached out. Please continue to do so and ill reply asap.
Email will be the quickest way to get things moving and ill be on all evening to look after these.

Also, just so folks are informed. We received drop-ships for Liberty Optics up until this week. But they were not released until Vortex was paid.
In all of these cases i have been dealing with, i have the order information but they are just being held as we have not received payment.
It's very important that each of you are looked after and will help with any order needs to get things moving in a timely manner.

Shamus Terry
Shamus, thank you for going above and beyond. This goes a long way to help reinforce my decision to go with Vortex even if my choice of vendors ended up being the wrong one. We appreciate the time you’re putting in and the rapid response to this fiasco.

I ordered a few small Vortex items this spring through LO. They took awhile to ship which seemed weird because they aren’t popular or backordered anywhere. After finally receiving the last item I was wondering if something was going on.

It happens with outfitters a lot. They receive and spend the deposits way before the client shows up.

On Wednesday he sent me a quote on a scope and we PM’d back and forth. It seemed like honest pricing because it was exactly what another vendor on here charges.

Shamus, thank you for going above and beyond. This goes a long way to help reinforce my decision to go with Vortex even if my choice of vendors ended up being the wrong one. We appreciate the time you’re putting in and the rapid response to this fiasco.
Thank You, i will truly look after every person. Just reach out and we will get it squared away.
Shamus Terry

Guys,

based on these events, everyone who has been affected should report the charges to the bank even if it’s beyond your chargeback time. There is a paper trail there the banks keep that could be useful down the road. It’s part of a process, so if you placed an order that was never made, or received contact the card company.

best that can happen is life catches up

Looks like I won’t be getting a deal on an impact 4000. Fucking over a bunch of precision shooting enthusiasts from all over the country when everyone knows your personnel info is pretty gangster I must say, maybe he owed money to even worse people.

I’m fortunate I guess since I haven’t bought anything since the Burris/Steiner sale.

1697587555986.png

Talk about fucked up. Just got home from work and saw this thread. I literally just checked my back door and sure enough my vortex G3 was delivered today. I have it in my hands. Ordered from Scott May26 and was messaging with him Friday. So he must have done this in the last few days. Unbelievable

Guys. I have known Scott, through the industry, for probably the better part of 20 years. He's a stand up guy and I can't imagine him just disappearing. I called a different # I have for him and left him a voicemail. When I hear back from him I'll inform him about this thread so he can jump on and clear up whatever confusion has happened here.
Okay I understand you got Scott’s back. I have bought from Scott in the past and was happy with him. But being on the forum but not responding to buyers who paid 4-5 months ago while deleting forum, website and disconnecting phone are all bad signs. I am certain I am entitle to question the situation and I think most people who paid would agree.
History do not always reflect the future.

Son of a bitch! This saddens me, though like some others I’ve seen it before with previously trustworthy vendors. I purchased many times from Scott over the past 10-12 years. It sucks for everyone.

Okay I understand you got Scott’s back. I have bought from Scott in the past and was happy with him. But being on the forum but not responding to buyers who paid 4-5 months ago while deleting forum, website and disconnecting phone are all bad signs. I am certain I am entitle to question the situation and I think most people who paid would agree.
History do not always reflect the future.
I wouldn't be too hard on @gr8fuldoug

There's an old saying in statistics: When presented with new evidence, I update my beliefs.

There are A LOT of us updating our beliefs this evening. Myself included. My suggestion would be to spread the word to affected people and hold Liberty Optics/Scott accountable for his actions and if a bunch of us were confused early on--well it caught pretty much all of us off guard.

Evening Folks,

Shamus Terry
I just got off the phone with Shamus. Seems like a first class guy. My Razor UHDs are going out 2nd day air tomorrow morning.
Big props to Vortex's rock solid customer service!

I was very close to ordering another scope or two from Liberty Optics, and had gotten a price quote in the last week or so. While I feel fortunate that I didn't place the order, I am sorry for the folks that are left out in the cold. I sincerely hope that you get your money back.