• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LIberty Safe The Bud Lite of Safes

So peeling off the S/N stickers would only make them take the safes or cut them open.
Same difference in the end for the "victim".

Bullshit Gestapo activity.
The biggest reason not to have an electronic combo is the fact if there is an EMP. YOU will not be able to get to all that cool shit in your safe....Until you cut them open.

And the fact that the manufacturer willingly gave them the bypass code? Fuck them.

The biggest reason not to have an electronic combo is the fact if there is an EMP. YOU will not be able to get to all that cool shit in your safe....Until you cut them open.

And the fact that the manufacturer willingly gave them the bypass code? Fuck them.
Some of my safes have a backup key lock behind the electronic keypad.... which probably makes them actually less secure than the others. But I would be able to get them open without cutting anything on them.

1694017086725.png

Not an attorney but it sounds as if the feds didn’t have a specific search warrant for the safe but only the house so they bypassed the 4th amendment and went to Liberty instead for an access code to enter the safe. From my understanding a blanket search warrant for a specific property or specific rooms doesn’t automatically include locked safes.

Now if the search warrant listed they were searching specifically for a firearm that was possibly used in a crime and the firearm could potentially be in the safe they could then enter the safe on those grounds even if they didn’t have a specific warrant for the safe itself.

They went on a fishing expedition.

With that being said it doesn’t like that was the case so screw Liberty Safes.

Gestapo tactics are working and Liberty rolled over because you know support law enforcement for any reason instead of supporting the Bill of Rights.

Last edited:

1) My guess is that the safe body acts as a half-decent Faraday cage. There's some legitimate concern about higher frequency content of an EMP event (well over 1 GHz) that would challenge this assumption.

2) If there's an EMP event, the time/effort required to break into the average Residential Storage Container is low on my list of problems.

So lots of electronic safes claim that they are protected from an EMP.... but that doesn't matter if the company will sell you out.

It is very easy to change locks on a safe. Going from a dial to electronic is supper easy. Depending on how the mechanism is laid out it could be difficult to go to a dial from a keypad though. But if you have an electronic Liberty you could easily switch to another electronic- just make sure its from a company that has some stones.

So lots of electronic safes claim that they are protected from an EMP.... but that doesn't matter if the company will sell you out.

It is very easy to change locks on a safe. Going from a dial to electronic is supper easy. Depending on how the mechanism is laid out it could be difficult to go to a dial from a keypad though. But if you have an electronic Liberty you could easily switch to another electronic- just make sure its from a company that has some stones.
I have to wonder if the other Safe companies are paying attention - and deciding on how they will deal with this same issue in the future?

Reactions: Sblzrd65
I'll guess that the owner did not have the capability to change the code upon delivery/install? This is not adding up....

Liberty Safes accidentally just announced to the world that they have a backdoor access code combination to each safe and would be happy to provide it to the government.

Cue a bunch of hackers trying to get that information in a hurry.
I'll give it a year before it's on the criminal underground websites for sale.

Many electronic locks are EMP resistant. Having an EMP does not mean every piece of electrical equipment will fail.

Many electronic locks are EMP resistant.

maybe but I'm not going to take their word for it unless someone has actually tested it.

So that nice touch pad control panel on the front with all the buttons you press?
The circuit board behind the buttons?
The wires going from the circuit board on the front to the inside control circuit?

You "could" make them actually EMP proof, but now you are talking an optically isolated very expensive lock.
Or you could just make them the usual static / light surge resistant and lie.
It's not like if there is a real EMP any customers are going to be able to bitch about it online...

Reactions: MadDuner
So one master combo for EVERY safe they make? What if you never register the safe after you buy it?

Reactions: cornhusker86
maybe but I'm not going to take their word for it unless someone has actually tested it.

So that nice touch pad control panel on the front with all the buttons you press?
The circuit board behind the buttons?
The wires going from the circuit board on the front to the inside control circuit?

You "could" make them actually EMP proof, but now you are talking an optically isolated very expensive lock.
Or you could just make them the usual static / light surge resistant and lie.
It's not like if there is a real EMP any customers are going to be able to bitch about it online...
IT has to be big enough to pick up enough of the pulse to be damaged. A safe lock is small item not plugged into the grid. IT not going to get much of a power surge.

^So I believe there's many codes- a master code for your specific lock. If you read the material you are supposed to keep the serial number, and then proof of purchase to show that you own the safe. Then if you get locked out you can send them everything and they can get you in...... or you know- flash a badge.

Many electronic locks are EMP resistant. Having an EMP does not mean every piece of electrical equipment will fail.
Ah yeah....and me having a background (yeah, long ago and far away) in req/testing for mil airborne electronics/avionics my first question is how the fuck was this tested and my immediate suspicion is that it was NOT as such testing is specialized and expensive. in my prior experience.

Here’s what their fire ratings look like after a house fire, this was a “fire rated” safe that was in a connex box during the Carr fire in norcal

View attachment 8221166
Do you know how these safes provide "fire protection"? Its a layer of gypsum (dry wall, anyone) sandwiched in between the steel. The gypsum absorbs moisture and when heated this moisture evaporates and keeps the safe cool (well, cooler). Once the water is gone from the gypsum so is all your fire/high heat protection.

Another thing to consider...a friend of mine had a house fire. His safes were not in an area directly exposed to high heat. However, the moisture and the particulants from the fire created a very corrosive mix that rusted the crap out of his guns within days....except for the long guns he had in silicon impregnated gun socks. I'm not saying that these socks make guns bullet proof...not at all. But, they are helpful against the corrosive effects of fire and water.

Cheers

Cause "Liberty" makes electronic locks now....nah brah. They buy them from "a guy".

The manufacturer says they are EMP resistant? When you find out it’s not I’m sure they will send someone over right away. Trust no one. Especially a company that will sell your ass out.

Hell even Apple won’t unlock a phone for the FBI IIRC

Ah yeah....and me having a background (yeah, long ago and far away) in req/testing for mil airborne electronics/avionics my first question is how the fuck was this tested and my immediate suspicion is that it was NOT as such testing is specialized and expensive. in my prior experience.
Are There EMP Resistant Gun Safe Locks? | Liberty Safe

We are talking about a small electronic device not hooked to a larger grid. I don't see it getting much EMP unless its struck by lighting, or there is a nuclear explosion close, but its not going to get damaged like things hooked into a larger grid that are miles aways from the event. Because that larger grid is catching way more energy and transferring it through the grid.

So how much EMP can a lock take, and what would it take to gather that much EMP, is the real question.

Do you know how these safes provide "fire protection"? Its a layer of gypsum (dry wall, anyone) sandwiched in between the steel. The gypsum absorbs moisture and when heated this moisture evaporates and keeps the safe cool (well, cooler). Once the water is gone from the gypsum so is all your fire/high heat protection.

Another thing to consider...a friend of mine had a house fire. His safes were not in an area directly exposed to high heat. However, the moisture and the particulants from the fire created a very corrosive mix that rusted the crap out of his guns within days....except for the long guns he had in silicon impregnated gun socks. I'm not saying that these socks make guns bullet proof...not at all. But, they are helpful against the corrosive effects of fire and water.

Cheers
Yep, gypsum is what you get with big box shit boxes. Sturdy Safe out of Fresno actually use this:
IMG_4834.jpeg

The manufacturer says they are EMP resistant? When you find out it’s not I’m sure they will send someone over right away. Trust no one. Especially a company that will sell your ass out.

Hell even Apple won’t unlock a phone for the FBI IIRC
Quit trying to stir shit. They were contacted by LE with a warrant.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
Are There EMP Resistant Gun Safe Locks? | Liberty Safe

We are talking about a small electronic device not hooked to a larger grid. I don't see it getting much EMP unless its struck by lighting, or there is a nuclear explosion close, but its not going to get damaged like things hooked into a larger grid that are miles aways from the event. Because that larger grid is catching way more energy and transferring it through the grid.

So how much EMP can a lock take, and what would it take to gather that much EMP, is the real question.
Ah...I don't think so. EMP testing is for resistance to...well, an electromagnetic pulse and has little to do with being connected to a grid. And yes, nuc air blast is indeed the 800 lbs gorilla of EMP sources.

Now, being connected to the electrical grid (which these safes are not) does indeed provide a path for conducted pulse to get into electronics and fry them....but that's not the case with safes, as you pointed out.

Me....personally....I don't do electronic locks.

And finally, I haven't been associated with these kinds of topics for over 40 years so I am totally open to be corrected by a current expert.

Yep, gypsum is what you get with big box shit boxes. Sturdy Safe out of Fresno actually use this:
View attachment 8221179

Yep...but not just big box stores....AFAIK almost all home gun safes...Brownings from BassPro to Liberty or other home safes with "fire protection" all still use gypsum.

Those Sturdy Safes are expensive compared to other "home" safes...but surely a lot less than the gear we put into them.

Thanks....if I buy another safe in the future, I'll give Sturdy a close look.

Cheers

Reactions: Downtown and hic28
Ah...I don't think so. EMP testing is for resistance to...well, an electromagnetic pulse and has little to do with being connected to a grid. And yes, nuc air blast is indeed the 800 lbs gorilla of EMP sources.

Now, being connected to the electrical grid (which these safes are not) does indeed provide a path for conducted pulse to get into electronics and fry them....but that's not the case with safes, as you pointed out.

Me....personally....I don't do electronic locks.

And finally, I haven't been associated with these kinds of topics for over 40 years so I am totally open to be corrected by a current expert.
I didn't say it had anything to do with being connected to a grid. I am saying larger items get more EMP. If we have an air burst EMP attack. You would have plenty of spare time to cut your safe open afterwards.

I didn't say it had anything to do with being connected to a grid. I am saying larger items get more EMP. If we have an air burst EMP attack. You would have plenty of spare time to cut your safe open afterwards.
So the EMP gets "picked up" by wiring that acts like an antenna to collect the voltage spike to direct it to a device. While a Faraday Cage or metal box allows this damaging voltage to be redirected around your device to protect it. But what I'm not sure about is which part of the electronic safe is damaged by the EMP? Is there enough wiring and materials in the keypad to "catch" enough of the EMP to send the voltage spike into the memory? I would think that the big box would negate that some?

Had Liberty not cooperated, the Feds would have shut liberty down. They would have driven them out of business both by IRS tax violations, civil lawsuits by Moms Distant from Action, congressional inquiries, etc. It's more along the lines, cooperate and gun owners and internet will be mad at you, you'll lose some customers, but your business will continue. Resist and we will ruin your company, send your executives to prison, and ensure your employees are unemployable. We'll ensure congressional inquiries for your staff, we'll charge your staff. We already hate the fact that you support gun owners, and we have no problem setting another example.

There's simply not enough gun owners to shield a company from the government like there is with apple. If Liberty had not cooperated, the government would have closed their business down anyway and it's not like any of us on this forum would run out to buy another 3k safe right now.

Had Liberty not cooperated, the Feds would have shut liberty down. They would have driven them out of business both by IRS tax violations, civil lawsuits by Moms Distant from Action, congressional inquiries, etc. It's more along the lines, cooperate and gun owners and internet will be mad at you, you'll lose some customers, but your business will continue. Resist and we will ruin your company, send your executives to prison, and ensure your employees are unemployable. We'll ensure congressional inquiries for your staff, we'll charge your staff. We already hate the fact that you support gun owners, and we have no problem setting another example.

There's simply not enough gun owners to shield a company from the government like there is with apple. If Liberty had not cooperated, the government would have closed their business down anyway and it's not like any of us on this forum would run out to buy another 3k safe right now.
The reality is that the Feds have cut open plenty of safes.
The combination simply kept them from damaging the safe - or flooring while they drug it out to take it somewhere else.
We are all speculating about what they were actually looking for.
Maybe if they found it - they left the rest of the crap alone?

At this point we know the feds provided a warrant to Liberty however we don’t know if the warrant was for the property address or also included the contents of said safe within the warrant.

I am guessing even if the warrant didn’t include the safe in question specifically, I bet Liberty gave them the access code anyway out of fear of retribution from .gov.

Reactions: DuneBoer
The reality is that the Feds have cut open plenty of safes.
The combination simply kept them from damaging the safe - or flooring while they drug it out to take it somewhere else.
We are all speculating about what they were actually looking for.
Maybe if they found it - they left the rest of the crap alone?
I'm more inclined to believe that the Feds using legal, social, and civil threats would compel Liberty to cooperate. It's simple really: just show a picture of Enrique Tarrio sentenced to 22 years. "We sent him away for 22 years. "Cooperate, you and your company will be allowed to stay in business. Don't and we'll end you, your family, your employees and burn your company to the ground. Sure your customers will be upset with your actions, you may lose a few customers, but you'll still be in business".

• Angry
At this point we know the feds provided a warrant to Liberty however we don’t know if the warrant was for the property address or also included the contents of said safe within the warrant.

I am guessing even if the warrant didn’t include the safe in question specifically, I bet Liberty gave them the access code anyway out of fear of retribution from .gov.
To a large extent - I can understand their concern.
I don't like it.
But I understand it.

Apple refused to unlock the Pensacola shooters I phone. They had a warrant. Apparently they provided "gigabytes" of info though. No backdoor to unlock the phone. I wonder why? Because they have dirt on every human that has one of their phones and only they want access to it to dispense as they see fit.

We don't know what was in the warrant. But, it's pretty simple. If they had a warrant for the residence to look for "XYZ" and "XYZ" could be contained within the safe, they can search it.

Fourth Amendment​

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

As far as the company giving out the backdoor code to get in it? They don't have too that was their choice. As far as me buying one of their safes? Never going to happen.

Stirring shit? Well, hell yeah!