• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Lifestraw... Anyone have one

cssnider1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Henderson, TX
I saw this commercial for this little contraption. For $20 I figured why not. It comes in the mail a few days later so I had to try it out. First I put some green food coloring in normal water. Took a sip through the straw and spit the water out. It was clear!!!

Took it out to the pond and took a little sip. I'm impressed with this thing. Could be a potential lifesaver. So I ordered a couple more and they're in my survival pack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I take a sawyer when I go hiking. It is the same principle and slightly less weight (but quite a bit more expensive). They are very handy!

Reactions: Alphatreedog
I just looked for one on Amazon UK - it looks a good piece of kit, although it costs more in sterling than you guys would pay in $US !

For the same principle, a Sawyer squeeze only weighs a few oz, gets good reviews everywhere, and is only ~$40. They claim it will filter practically indefinitely if you regularly backflush the crud out of the filter.

http://www.rei.com/product/858764/sawyer-squeeze-water-filter-32-fl-oz?preferredSku=8587640001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8587640001&mr:trackingCode=7BDC5CD7-10A6-E211-9C7C-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=20834044240&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=28722172273&msid=yzWuUp5A_dc|pcrid|20834044240|&{copy:s_kwcid}

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I just went to Italy, Montenegro and Greece for vacation and took one with me everywhere just in case.

I have lifestraws everywhere I may need them: all family bugout bags, center console of my pickup, etc. They're awesome.

I use a Katadyn vario water filter for backpacking. It can filter up to two liters of water a minute and is less likely to get clogged on small things in the water when compared to the lifestraw.

Lifestraws work fine until someone behind you pushes your face in the water or boots you in the ass and you fall into a sludge fest...

They're also NOT grunt proof.... Believe it or not, some peoples children will use it the wrong way and ask why it's not working...

YES, those are actual things that have happened...

Reactions: shoobe01
They're great for emergencies and day hikes. For longer planned trips I like to take a field-serviceable pump filter instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Having bought a lifestraw, I'd say however the Sawyer Mini is a much better option at the same price level
Sawyer MINI Water Filter - Sawyer

The Lifestraw is rated as 0.2 micron, the Sawyer one is rated at 0.1 micron

The lifestraw is great for people who need it really simple, but it is kind of a one trick device, whereas the Sawyer one can function as a straw very well, but can also filter from bags / bottles etc.

+1 on the Sawyer. I have never had to use either (so take my advice FWIW) but the Sawyer Mini is more flexible and lasts longer (Lifestraw: 1000 Liters, Sawyer: 100,000 Gallons or roughly 375,000 liters).

With the sawyer mini, you just back flush it every so often and its gtg. I have 3 of them and I saw them today at a local shop for 27 bucks each so spend a few extra bucks and go with the sawyer instead of the life straw

With the sawyer mini, you just back flush it every so often and its gtg. I have 3 of them and I saw them today at a local shop for 27 bucks each so
spend a few extra bucks and go with the sawyer instead of the life straw

$18 on Amazon

I can usually find cheaper stuff of the net but this is from the only local disaster supply/bunker store in the area so I like to support them when I can. If I ordered it of amazon for 18.99 and the shipping at 5.98 it would be 24.97 so spending a few extra dollars to keep the locals going is worth it

Reactions: Blutroop
I have a few Kaydlen or however its spelled stainless models (really expensive), a few of the polymer hiker kinds, about 15 regular sawyers, 5 or so minis, and a few lifestraws. If it was my money and I didn't have any of them I would want a saywer of somekind and a lifestraw both with me. Keep the sawyer in your pack and the lifestraw on you. I keep a sawyer and LS in my truck at all times and each gear bag gets a sawyer. I think for the money they are the ones to have.

Reactions: Soulezoo
The life straws are sweet. I have been looking at getting a UV light one for when I travel and just drop in in the drinks.

Wow. necro thread revival. Been thinking about buying a few of these myself just to toss in the car. Any new better tech on the market or is it still Life straw vs Sawyer?

I have two, bought Sawyers as primaries.

I saw this commercial for this little contraption. For $20 I figured why not. It comes in the mail a few days later so I had to try it out. First I put some green food coloring in normal water. Took a sip through the straw and spit the water out. It was clear!!!

Took it out to the pond and took a little sip. I'm impressed with this thing. Could be a potential lifesaver. So I ordered a couple more and they're in my survival pack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Soulezoo
i picked one up at bass pro for $16. keep it in the car never know

I have several Sawyer mini's in assorted places. One is in my camelback cargo pouch so I can snip the drink tube and use it as an inline filter if need be.

I have the universal lifestraw adaptor that fits onto the likes of naglene bottles. very handy for long hikes or overnights, saves you hauling water weight.

if you ever wanted to drink elephant pee now is your chance

id like to see a real time report from someone here. I will be watching this thread for it

Liquid iodine is my preferred method of treating water. Fill an empty eye drop bottle. 1 or 2 dropped per quart. I'll often do 3 in a gallon. I've drank some of the gnarliest water you could stomach using this method with no problems. For foreign travel I drink a quart 2 dropped per day and have stayed free of stomach illness.

The Sawyer has a tighter filter (.1 microns vs .2 microns) but I like some features the lifestraw has and like the integrated filter/water bottle made by lifestraw better than the Sawyer version. I'm not sure how I feel about sucking through the straw all the time so I just bought a Grayl bottle filter. It arrived yesterday so I haven't been able to test it. I plan to use this hiking/camping and for an overseas trip to Colombia with a few days in the mountainside at some coffee farms. It appears to take care of everything plus viruses and heavy metals/insecticides. Probably hands down the best option out their to purify water right now.

I have a Lifestraw but it’s NIB. For backpacking I use a MSR MiniWorks. I have a friend who uses a SteriPen - neither of us have gotten diarrhea while hiking. We do carry healthy amounts of Imodium as well. Lifestraws probably work, but if loose stools with no bathroom facility is the price I’ll choose my MSR.

Also, the MSR and SteriPen allow you to fill a Nalgene bottle and carry it with you to the next place, so you don’t need to dip into a water source to drink.

I have the universal version that screws onto a nagalene type bottle of your choice. Very handy, use it when hiking,camping, hunting the hills. havent died yet

I have to wonder what chemicals or compounds It can and cant remove , zero water filters does not remove lead at least not all of it . the fine print on the tv add said It can only lessen the amount

Last edited:
The life strae works pretty good. It's not nearly as convenient as the Sawyer setup or my katadyn hiker but it works. Its light and you can get an upgraded version with an additional filter if your going somewhere with really bad water quality. I keep it in my EDC bag.

I have the lifestraw universal bottle attachment, comes with 3 different sized heads to fit any nagaline or similar bottle. I have used it for a year now filling up at streams and puddles while hunting in the hills. saves carrying large amounts of water(weight) very handy, does a great job