• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lighter Hunting Rifle -- Who makes the best?

Re: Lighter Hunting Rifle -- Who makes the best?

specs on my 7-08

Stiller Predator SS SA
Rem. BDL black BM
Bartlien SS # 2 barrel 1:9 twist finished at 23"
McMillan Sporter stock black 13.75 LOP
RB trigger at 2 lbs.
Talley aluminum bases/rings
Leupold 3.5-10x40

7.7 lbs all scoped, stock pack with 5 rounds and 3 in the mag!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">specs on my 7-08

Stiller Predator SS SA
Rem. BDL black BM
Bartlien SS # 2 barrel 1:9 twist finished at 23"
McMillan Sporter stock black 13.75 LOP
RB trigger at 2 lbs.
Talley aluminum bases/rings
Leupold 3.5-10x40

7.7 lbs all scoped, stock pack with 5 rounds and 3 in the mag!
grin.gif
</div></div>

throw up a pic!!

Here is a pic of my dads rifle coming from Jense Precision. This thing is a hunting 308, with Jense Precision Action, PTG fluted bolt, Shilen 18"bbl, HS Precision DBM, Timney Trigger, B&C Alaskan stock. This thing will be sporting a Leupold VX-L 4.5-14 and should be under the 7lb mark if everything goes well. Should be receiving it in about 2 weeks...

KK Builds a AMAZING rifle. I ordered my 300 win rifle as a crossover with one of his Carbon Barrels, and if you dont mind spending the extra dough, its 10000% better then the POS Christensen arms rifles....

www.jenseprecision.com

5bqvkw.jpg

Here is my 260 AI Hunting gun, With this last years Oregon Blacktail buck.

Christensen Arms
Rem. 700 Titanium short action
Jewell trigger
260 Ackley, 24 inch Shilen tube
HS stock
Leupold 2.5-10x45 VX7 With B&C Reticle
Nightforce Direct mount.

Weighs in at 7.4 Lbs ready to hunt.

I will however agree with what you all are saying about Christensen Arms. The rifle has been back to them twice already, the first time because they left .025 excess headspace... OOOPS. I won't have another one built by them.

PB050398.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a great friend of factory rifles for hunting, don't think they have the reliability that is needed.
Had my rifle made by roedale, based on an old sako action. Fitted with a Lothar Walther 1450 22" barrel which seems a good compromise between weight and accuracy. Saved some weight on the stock and used one of our carbon stocks at 700 grams.
Shot about 60 deer with this setup now and am convinced it is much more reliable than the remmy and tikka factory rifles I use for shooting fox and vermin.
edi </div></div>
Really, so the literaly millons of folks that use factory rifle to harvest millions of deer, and other assorted medium, large and small game have just been lucky?
Like the fellow at the range today, next to me with a 40 year old model 700 that he inherited from his father, that has killed deer every year for the past 40 years?

A custom is nice, there is certainly pride in ownership, but to say a Model 700, Model 7, Tikka, winchester, savage or what have you is almost certain to fail? I think you might be overstating things a bit. </div></div>
Obviously it depends on the terrain too, under 100yds it is not so critical especially on body shots.One thing is for sure, a light barreled hunting rifle with a cheap plastic stock as it comes out the box is not up to consistent accuracy under hunting situations. When the shooting postion varies, pressure on the barrel varies. On the bench these rifles might shoot under an inch but not in the field. I know of all the deer shot with all sorts of kit, but keep in mind how many deer run away wounded that no one owes up too.
I prefer a reliably accurate rifle because, we sometimes shoot at slightly longer ranges around 400 yds. We very often have to head or neck shoot because high grass covers the body. Often shoot close to roads/house and don't want any runners dying in a tree huggers garden.

Another point, how much fuss do we make about building or setting up a 300yd target rifle, which is only for paper. For deer at the same range a quick run to Wal-mart is good enough?

By the way I also inherited a 40 year old sako in 308, which had belonged to a PH in South Africa.
This rifle had shot over 1000 kudu and I'm sure wounded half as much. On one occasion my father tracked one of his runners and put it down with his mauser pistol. When I got the rifle it wouldn't hit a frying pan.

edi </div></div>

Edi I'm going to have to dissagree with you here. Hunters here where I live deal with some of the toughest terrain and conditions in the world, and of all the hunters I know, including professional guides, only one of them uses a custom-built rifle. I myself fall back on a Ruger 77 in .35 whelen and a Tikka M695 in .338wm when the season comes around. Both are light and handy and get the job done very well indeed when push comes to shove in the Alaskan bush.

And I'm confused how we got from "lightest hunting rifle" to "I have a 40 year old, abused Sako that won't hit anything anymore, so there." Seems like a bit of a jump. Of course your old Sako won't shoot well anymore after all the use it's had. Are you trying to tell me that a custom rig put through the same conditions will fare better? I think not. </div></div>

This is the 40 year sako that had been known not to shoot well from day one, now with the Lothar Walther tube and carbon stock. Turned from a always lemon into a shooter.
DSCN2161.jpg

Scraping the atlas joint of a sika doe at 330m, I wouldn't attempt that with any of my factory rifles.
DSCN2197.jpg

edi

This works for me..

GAP Non Typical 308
Manners stock
Bartlein Barrel 22 inch
USO 1.8-10x37
George built it, incredibly accurate

merlinn

sw7r5v.jpg

I'm really quite amused by this knocking of factory rifles. What practical difference is there on game between a .5 (or even .7) MOA factory rifle and a .3 MOA custom? At 300 yards we're talking group size under an inch in difference.

I have yet to get my hands on a factory rifle that could not shoot under MOA with proper load development. Some 40 yr old Sako with a shot out barrel does not speak for the average NEW factory gun.

If all these animals you speak of are running off wounded that means they were not hit in the chest, which is a hell of a big target, which means shooter error and not a .2-.4 MOA difference in inherent accuracy.

683 yards, <span style="font-style: italic">factory</span> Sendero 300Win Mag
IMG_20981.JPG

550 yards, <span style="font-style: italic">factory</span> Sendero 300WinMag and <span style="font-style: italic">factory</span> SPS 300WinMag, these are exit wounds, the entrances were 3 inches apart with the second insurance shot angling forward out the base of the neck
DSCI02161.JPG

I dig this one:

DSC08516.jpg

I don't think you need anything any more sophisticated than the current factory model Winchester Mod70 Featherweight. I would personally prefer a .280 Rem chambering, but it's not offered, so .270 or .30-'06 would be my recommendation. Ammo's more commonly available for those chamberings, too.

If cost is an issue the Savage 111 FXP3 package gun comes in under 7lb and is available all up, scope and all, for under $700 list price in either of those two chamberings. Even if cost isn't an issue, it's a good choice.

I'd love to own a premium custom hunting rifle, but that's out of my league. Which makes sense for additional reasons. Considering the amount of hunting most folks might be doing, hunting shots could end up costing a heckuva lot per shot, figured on just the cost of the rifle, let alone other considerations. Well off or not, it's hard for me to justify expenditures like that. This is the moment when the factory rifles start looking more and more attractive to me; and honestly, todays factory rifles are no embarassment when it comes to delivering the goods.

If issues like these don't bear on one's definition of 'best', then I guess I'm outta line.

Greg

Look, opinions are like assholes, every body has one. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the big name factory rifles. Browning, Remington, Winchester, take your pick. Personally, for one I don't want modified heavily I go with Browning. Have other "out of the box" brands, but Browning is MY personal favorite. I have somewhere between 15 and 20 of various types, models and calibers and have yet to have an issue, but that's just me. I like my Rems and Winnys also. I say pick the one you like best. If your looking to upgrade later, that's a new thread.

I agree. The Winnys are fine "out of the box" rifles. American company also, I might add. Granted, a pile of American companies "outsource" overseas for cheaper labor, red tape, taxes, etc, but If I'm buying an out of the box rifle it's going to be from an American based company.

And now for something completely different i the US:

SIG Sauer 202 Outback. Alloy receiver (bolt locks in barrel), two piece soft touch synthetic stock, QC barrel-system (10 minutes), can be ordered with 2 stage match trigger. If the rifle is ordered with a wide (safari)forend you can fit SIG Sauer SSG3000 matchbarrels yourself in 10 minutes.

http://sauer.de/models-/s-202-xt-line/s-202-outback/s202-outback.html

http://sauer.de/models-/s-202-xt-line/s-202-yukon/s202-yukon.html

Complete catalog in english: http://sauer.de/cms/upload/downloads/SAUER_Katalog2010_EN.pdf

OP, since you live in Orem, UT, there's a damn good chance your local gun shop has some solid "used" rifles. By used, I mean someone put a crappy scope on it, took it to the range, fed it poor ammo, and couldn't get it to group well. When they took it hunting, they missed their deer and swore off the rifle and traded it in for something newer and shinier.

I'd absolutely check the used gun rack of the shops close to you with all the people that could have traded their rifles in recently. About 3 years ago, I went to my local gun store and found a Rem700 in 7mmRM that someone had obviously not driven very often. It was $350. The trigger was pretty good, bore was fine, and so for $350, I knew I was at least getting a good base to build off of.

Anyway, I picked up some real premium hunting ammo, cleaned her really good, but a decent Leupold on her and what do you know... she shot nice little groups provided you didn't try to have a 100 round range day with her. I've had no problem taking deer out to 400 yards with her. Great gun, killer price, and serves my need.

I'm a big fan of the pre-64 Winchester M70. I'm about to purchase a new featherweight. The new Winchesters are made by FN, in the same plant as the SPR. I called FN last week and confirmed that they use the same action for both the M70 and the FN SPR, just stamped differently. They also use the same cold hammer forging process for the M70 as the SPR. I've had a few FN SPRs and they have all been fantastic.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535109

I am with Greedy, TopPredator and BiggerSticker47. While custom rifles are fancy and cool, most factory rifles will shoot 1-1.5 moa with some load tuning, which is totally enough for any hunting under 300 yards, which means 99% of the time.

Calibers: my choices would be 308 (easy to find ammo, good accuracy, plenty of power) or 7mm-08 (soft recoil, ammo still cheap). I would not go 270 or 30-06 which kick more and burn barrels faster if you spend time at the range, or 243, which might be a bit marginal in killing power in some cases, and also burns barrels faster. They [243, 270, 30-06] are however good options if you want the added velocity.

Rifles: I would look at a new Winchester 70 Stainless Featherweight @ 6.5 lbs, a Remington 700 CDL SF with fluted barrel, a tad more accurate but a tad heavier around 7.5 lbs, or a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Hunter @ 6.5 lbs. Several people have been mentioning the Kimber Montana - also an excellent rifle, although, in the stainless version, be aware that not all parts are stainless - in inclement weather where you are this might make a difference.

All of these rifles, except for the Kimber, go for under $1K, and there is no lead time to order them:) They will be usable and accurate out of the box (unless you have a lemon, which can happen with any manufacturer). Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkphage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have good or bad to say about Browning?

They have some nice looking rifles, but just don't hear much about them.

Dark </div></div>
The Browning X-bolt is excellent. Very nice trigger, well made, action bedded at the factory, considered to be less than 1 MOA accuracy. The stock feels great to carry, very smooth in your hand, well balanced.

I had planned to buy one in stainless, but ended up with a Rem XCR due to the super high corrosion resistance. Colorado is so dry, corrosion would not be a problem.

I bought a 7mm-08, but plan to buy a 300WSM later on as well.

-Steve

i also handled a veeeery nice sauer 202 at the shop a few weeks back, super slick action, light as hell, and you just know it will shoot.

pricey pricey though.........

jimi

I just bought a Winchester M70 Extreme Weather SS in 300WSM. Been looking at these for a while and I stumbled across one online for $799.99. They usually go for $900 so I snatched it up, should be able to pick it up next week. I'm going to bed it and mount up a Nikon 3-9 I had laying around in some Talley light weight rings. It'll come in a couple oz less then 8lbs ready to hunt.
Model-70-Extreme-Weather-SS-MID-535110-l.jpg

Trick Pony - great picture - I had to laugh:)

Haha what do you want a guy to do? I can't pick it up till next week!
grin.gif

I appreciate all the input -- nice discussion of factory vs. custom -- and a lot of options thrown out -- as usual the hide never disappoints.

I'll let you all know what i finally decide.

Thanks,

Dark

How about a GAP TIS rifle?

I know they were a limited edition but the fluted barrel and McMillan Edge graphite stock make it easier to haul around in the field.

my two favorite light weights are a Remington M7 (parkerized) in a Brown's Pound'r in .7mm-08 with an 18.5" barrel and a 1.5-5x Leupold on it

or a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM with a 2.5-8x on top.

the M7 weighs 6#, 8 0z and the Kimber weighs 7# even, with optics