• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Lightest 6.5 Creed Bullet for 1:8 Twist

PLX65

Professional Rookie
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2018
Akron
I am loading with 140 gr now but would like to gain some FPS. What would be the lowest recommended bullet weight for that twist rate?

I’ve shot 130s and 123s to good effect. You can get the length info from JBM, get a nominal MV from the load data, then use the stability calculator at Berger to figure out if a particular projectile will work in theory.

Reactions: Agent Entropy
People worry too much about twist rate with light bullets in a cartridge like this. You can shoot 85gr Sierras if you want. IME any weight from there up shoots well in a 1:8 6.5 Creedmoor. It's not like a 22-250 shooting thin jacket 40gr bullets at 4,000+ fps where you have to twist it slow enough to not blow up bullets.

I've had very good results out to 1220 yards shooting factory 120 gr. ELD-M

People worry too much about twist rate with light bullets...

Agreed, while not the 6.5 Creed the OP was asking about I can give you the example of my 1in9 twist 23” .308, it shoots 110gr VMAX at 3340fps with .75” groups. I believe while you can definitely under spin a heavy bullet in a slow twist, with today’s modern quality bullets it’s is far harder to over spin something to the point of failure.