• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightest chassis that balances for a Vudoo?

uhmeebuh

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Hi all -

I'm looking into a lighter weight but well balanced setup for my vudoo 20" MTU as it's an 18lb rifle in an XLR envy Pro chassis right now.

The chassis works great, feeds perfectly, and it balances well...but I need every internal and external weight to make it happen. My scope isn't helping (ZC527) but I have moved it as far forward as possible with a comfortable position.

I'm curious if a manners, mcmillan or other chassis (that feeds reliably) with a front weight will balance well and help me shave 3-4 lbs off of the total package.

Thanks!

You have to look at balance is a combination of front weight leverage and rear weight.. so reducing the stock weight at the back. You could swap out the TR2 stock for the Carbon buttstock which will allow you to reduce weight. Dropping to a 22" Kukri provides a lot more balance w/ reduction of weight than say a 20" MTU.

Putting weights in the chassis near the mag well does very little to move the balance point, so getting more weight towards the end of the rifle / extend the end of the rifle is the way to get the balance.

Some things I did..

Add the extra long brass nose extension on the Envy.
Add the long NV bridge to the Envy.
Add a tuner to the muzzle (1/2 lb tuner)

My setup is about 16lbs.

Following. I'm also looking to go lighter.

Current set up: 20" MTU / Vortex Strike Eagle / MV-3 electronic level / KRC Bravo with their ARCA rail / Atlas Bipod and runs 14.5 lb.

New Vudoo shipped yesterday with 20" Kukri Carbon Fiber in McMillan U-1 with ARCA rail. Thinking about running ZCO ZC420 in Spur (with MV3) and the lightweight Ckye-Pod will arrive on Wednesday. Trying to get under 12 pounds initially.

You have to look at balance is a combination of front weight leverage and rear weight.. so reducing the stock weight at the back. You could swap out the TR2 stock for the Carbon buttstock which will allow you to reduce weight. Dropping to a 22" Kukri provides a lot more balance w/ reduction of weight than say a 20" MTU.

Putting weights in the chassis near the mag well does very little to move the balance point, so getting more weight towards the end of the rifle / extend the end of the rifle is the way to get the balance.

Some things I did..

Add the extra long brass nose extension on the Envy.
Add the long NV bridge to the Envy.
Add a tuner to the muzzle (1/2 lb tuner)

My setup is about 16lbs.
Thanks! I've done all that and it's an 18lb rifle with the weights as far forward as possible. Looking at some of the weights at the end of the extended nose as well:

Following. I'm also looking to go lighter.

Current set up: 20" MTU / Vortex Strike Eagle / MV-3 electronic level / KRC Bravo with their ARCA rail / Atlas Bipod and runs 14.5 lb.

New Vudoo shipped yesterday with 20" Kukri Carbon Fiber in McMillan U-1 with ARCA rail. Thinking about running ZCO ZC420 in Spur (with MV3) and the lightweight Ckye-Pod will arrive on Wednesday. Trying to get under 12 pounds initially.

If you really want as light as possible, it's pretty easy to get under 12lbs. 11.8lbs w/ the bipod on. Not a Vudoo, but the same mechanics apply.

1653401554374.png

Reactions: brianf
Go to a 3D printed bag rider. that will allow you to shave some weight in both ends. I am a 22" MTU w/ EC Tuner on a RimX in an Envy Pro. OE nose extension, 2 internals and GrayOps large externals. I think its close to 16/17lb mark. My optic is a Burris XTR3 in ARC Mount.

So you can drop the bag rider, or get a 3D printed one (can't tell what it is in the picture). or swap to the carbon buttstock.

Get the extra long nose extension (could allow you to remove those side weights). Remove the internal weights.
I don't think the bag rider makes enough difference in the total package. Even the long nose extension is only a few OZ more than the one I have on. I know it's in the right place but not sure if this is just moving deck chairs on the titanic :)

Dropping 4oz in the rear of the stock means you can drop like 8oz near the mag well / balance point. For me I have no internals, no externals, just the long nose and a tuner and a 22" barrel.

Reactions: JS624
I don't think the bag rider makes enough difference in the total package. Even the long nose extension is only a few OZ more than the one I have on. I know it's in the right place but not sure if this is just moving deck chairs on the titanic :)
The bag rider is a big influence, because it's so far back. Balance is about both weight and location; same story on that front end with the extension, you're trying to move weight forward to get the gun to tip forward, and remove it from the back.

Reactions: littlepod