• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lightweight Hunting Rifles

Looks like we are now going ultralight:) I guess this one qualifies, 1st Gen TI 7MM-08, Talleys, 6x36 Leupold with long range dotz.
5 lbs 14 ozs.

413447233.jpg

just got word today that my MacMillan Hunter's Edge carbon fiber stock is shipping. My SS Rem 700 SA is in the LRI shop to get the works. 6.5cm 20" K&B barrel all the action and bolt magic Chad does. Will be just in time for my Sept. 29 Pronghorn hunt.

Pix will definitely follow.

Reactions: Big Ern
Ive been considering a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308 or 6.5, but my shots would all be inside of 500 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to whack an Elk with either calibers, so its more of a toss up of which one I find first/best deal...

Until then, I will keep hunting with my 8lb 9oz Browning X-Bolt in 7mm Mag.

Reactions: stephen r
I think you’d need to call GAP to ask about that one. It was based on a Remington 7 footprint defiance action with special design bottom metal IIRC.

CSC_0807.JPG
CSC_0809.JPG

DMR LLC 6.5 Creedmoor
Surgeon Action
Manners PRS2 stock
Proof 24" barrel
Seekins / Vortex rings
Vortex AMG
Q Cherry Bomb (waiting on Q Thunderchicken)

It loves factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. Shot the group below at 200 yards.

IMG_1212.jpg

Edit:

Weighed it on a scale today that could only go to the nearest half lb. Without the harris bipod, it's around 10.5lbs. Roughly 11.5 lbs with the suppressor.
I would say for me that's at the upper end but still in the "light weight" category, especially for the profiles of the gun. Also consider, the scope and rings add 2 lbs, but I wanted the Razor AMG (and I'm in love with it). I'm also used to carrying around a heavy AR-10 platform rifle when hunting so this is nothing.
I'm sure others won't consider this light, but I had to show it off none the less. When the day comes I need a "summit" rifle, I'll be contacting DMR again, and getting a .300 WM with a pierce Ti action - Until then, I'm happy happy.

Last edited:
This new Kimber Mountain Ascent .308 ( 4 lbs 13 ounces ) combines with the Kahles 624i AMR optics (34.9 ounces) held by Talley Tactical rings (34mm) and Talley 20 MOA picatinny base(PSM258749) for a carried weight of 6.49 pounds. Here also, at 200 yards, is the first target after a break-in regimen developed by David Tubb.

Attachments

• KimberMountainAscent_308_target09032017.jpg
    KimberMountainAscent_308_target09032017.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 209
  • KimberMountainAscentin308_Kahles624i_AMR09022018a.jpg
    KimberMountainAscentin308_Kahles624i_AMR09022018a.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 252
Finished this one up today. 6.66 pounds. Build thread in the gunsmithing section.

I like that, kind of have a soft spot for M70s, can you post the details? SS Featherweight in a Brown Precision stock?

Edit: Sorry, just read your post mo better, I'll go try and find the build thread.

Reactions: stephen r
Yup, stainless featherweight cut to 20”, mcmillan Edge stock with filled checkering.

Lightest I've got now. Had it for a few years. It's a straight 284 win built in the late 70's , early 80's?
Sako action imported in the 70's by Stoeger probably for Marlin.
The barrel is a Kenny Jarrett Accu -Light
20" 1:9 twist 8 groove.
Scope is a Leupold Vari-x-3 3.5- 10.5
Total weight 6.5 lbs.
Max COAL 2.80"
Berger 140's running right at 2900.
Older I get the lighter rifles are nice.
IMG_20181103_230014384.jpg

Dad's 6.5 SAUM on the top and my 6.5x47L on the bottom. His is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum at 9lbs give or take bare. With bipod and can it's 11ish. Looking back on it i wish i had gone Proof with him to save a little more if possible.
Dad's 6.5 SAUM specs
Bighorn SR3
Bartlein 3B finished @ 23" spiral fluted
Manners MCS-T Pillar bedded
APA RTG
Timney CE
Zeiss V6 3-18x50

Mine is light weight to me, though i've never packed out or anything so i'm sure it would feel worse in the mountains. I know i've been carrying my 17lb competition rifle for sometime and go tired of it, which is why the short hunting rig exist. Have a proof sendero 7mm blank ready to be chambered in 7 SS and hopefully should keep it around it's current weight at 12lbs or so. Hoping i can manage an elk hunt in the next two years or so.

My Hunting Rig
Bighorn TL3
Bartlein sendero 6.5x47 @ 18", Proof Sendero 7 SS @ 24"
Manners EH1 Mini-chassis
TT Diamond
K318i

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

View attachment 6937574View attachment 6937575
DMR LLC 6.5 Creedmoor
Surgeon Action
Manners PRS2 stock
Proof 24" barrel
Seekins / Vortex rings
Vortex AMG

It loves factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. Shot the group below at 200 yards.

View attachment 6937576

Edit:

Weighed it on a scale today that could only go to the nearest half lb. Without the harris bipod, it's around 10.5lbs. Roughly 11.5 lbs with the suppressor.
I would say for me that's at the upper end but still in the "light weight" category, especially for the profiles of the gun. Also consider, the scope and rings add 2 lbs, but I wanted the Razor AMG (and I'm in love with it). I'm also used to carrying around a heavy AR-10 platform rifle when hunting so this is nothing.
I'm sure others won't consider this light, but I had to show it off none the less. When the day comes I need a "summit" rifle, I'll be contacting DMR again, and getting a .300 WM with a pierce Ti action - Until then, I'm happy happy.

Sexy rifle!!

I just finished a similar looking rifle.
Axisworks built 6CM
Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA DBM
24" Proof Sendero w. Muscle Mag brake
Manners PRS2
Seekins rings
Tangent Theta TT315M
Mine is right at 9lbs 14oz all in w. empty 5 rd AI mag

Reactions: WoobieJ
Sexy rifle!!

I just finished a similar looking rifle.
Axisworks built 6CM
Lone Peak Fuzion TI SA DBM
24" Proof Sendero w. Muscle Mag brake
Manners PRS2
Seekins rings
Tangent Theta TT315M
Mine is right at 9lbs 14oz all in w. empty 5 rd AI mag
Thanks man! Your build sounds awesome as well!

won a cristensen arms mesa over the summer in a raffle. carbon fiber stock . thing is super light weight and in 6.5 creedmoor, its a laser

Looking at the Seekins Havak for a lightweight non magnum or building a Tikka......

My current setup
Sako A7 300 win mag
Leupold VX3I 4.5-14 x 50mm

IMG_20171014_163825440_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181130_191236941.jpg

Reactions: Genin and Wyzrd
I’ve got a Kimber mountain ascent and it’s around 5lbs 10oz with no scope or rings. Mine is in .280AI and I wouldn’t want to shoot the thing without the brake:)

The .308 is 4lbs 13oz.

Last edited:
My 2 light rifles are on modded model 7's with 20" x-caliber barrels in 308 and 6tcu.

The T3 Tikka is a great shooter, very light, very good triggers, very accurate, very fairly priced, still, it ain't short?

How about a Browning Compact Hunter? I have an A Bolt that's great. I haven't tried an X-Bolt?

I've kinda soured on newer production Remingtons.

The last 2 Models Sevens that I purchased new had to go back to Remington?
Both were inexcusable, and their Service Dept. ranks as the worst I've dealt with.

The 16" barrel Compact Rugers shoot great, but the barrels a little short to get the good out of many cartridges?
I haven't tried a 20" Ruger since the old tang safety ones?

Reactions: Genin
I get that a bi-pod on a light weight hunter is almost counter intuitive.

But those that have them or shoot from a pack, are there any tips to keep the rifle from jumping like a scared cat other than lining up straight behind the rifle and loading the bi-pod heavily ?

View attachment 6937574View attachment 6937575
DMR LLC 6.5 Creedmoor
Surgeon Action
Manners PRS2 stock
Proof 24" barrel
Seekins / Vortex rings
Vortex AMG

View attachment 6937576

Edit:

Awesome rifle! That is pretty much exactly what I'm looking to build!

Reactions: WoobieJ
It's great on shootin' steel...but I haven't taken it huntin' yet...

CZ527 chambered in 7.62x39

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
Getting ready to build myself a light weight hunting rig. Still waiting on Gunwerks to start putting out their Carbon Fiber Stocks.

6.5 PRC
Lone Peak Arms Fusion TI SA/Mag BF
22” Proof Carbon Sendero Lite 1:75
Gunwerks Carbon Clymer/Magnus Stock
Bix n Andy 2 Stage
Area 419 Sidewinder
Leupold MK5 3.6-18

Should come in at about 8lbs with Scope

Reactions: Railguner
Maybe we need a spreadsheet that gives the "$$$ per pound" for people to reference.

Reactions: HogsLife
Getting ready to build myself a light weight hunting rig. Still waiting on Gunwerks to start putting out their Carbon Fiber Stocks.

6.5 PRC
Lone Peak Arms Fusion TI SA/Mag BF
22” Proof Carbon Sendero Lite 1:75
Gunwerks Carbon Clymer/Magnus Stock
Bix n Andy 2 Stage
Area 419 Sidewinder
Leupold MK5 3.6-18

Should come in at about 8lbs with Scope
Looked at their stocks today...OUCH!! Starting price is $1400 for a Verdict...before options!

Reactions: HogsLife
Looked at their stocks today...OUCH!! Starting price is $1400 for a Verdict...before options!

Yeah they’re not cheap, but honestly they’re competitive in the market they’re playing in. Once you start getting into comp style stocks (manners set up the way you want it, JAE, Foundation, AICS, KMW) they’re all up there in that range, plus the wait time on some of those is a lot longer than 60 days. I’m betting that once peole start jumping on them, we’re gonna see that 60 days turn into 6 months. Lol. Hell you can spend for than that on a tripod.....

Yeah they’re not cheap, but honestly they’re competitive in the market they’re playing in. Once you start getting into comp style stocks (manners set up the way you want it, JAE, Foundation, AICS, KMW) they’re all up there in that range, plus the wait time on some of those is a lot longer than 60 days. I’m betting that once peole start jumping on them, we’re gonna see that 60 days turn into 6 months. Lol. Hell you can spend for than that on a tripod.....

I ran through the options, it looks like the only option that adds and significant amount it the stock color/pattern (carbon fiber etc) can add $400, but if you’re good with the standard options for the stock color then you can get out of there for $1500 or so

Last edited:
I have a Stocky's Carbon stock and proof 24" on a defiance action... still need to find a scale to check it on, but it is LITE

Here's a few of mine.
All GA Precision builds
Top to bottom:
6.5 SAUM
6 Creed
6 Creed

@psinclair - I've been on the hide, and long range hunting for a long time. During that time, I can recall seeing that saum and thinking, that's what a real tool looks like. You can tell it's been used, and works time and time again and you trust it to do so. Kudos on an impressive lineup.

I just got through putting together my first savage prefit in a 6.5-284
Its on a Shilen DGR repeater long action. Shilen BDL bottom metal. Proof research CF 28” barrel.
Mesa Precision Altitude Stock.
Vortex Viper 6-24x50. Weighs 8lbs 7ozs full up.

I run a Howa 1500 in 300 wm with a can, running 175 gn Barnes LRX. Light weight, light recoil, accurate, and good for any big game in North America.

Attachments

• 5DF36CA3-EB87-4BB0-AEC7-FA9D1B6CA7D7.jpeg
    5DF36CA3-EB87-4BB0-AEC7-FA9D1B6CA7D7.jpeg
    877.9 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Genin and Wyzrd
The Steyr Scout in .308 is extremely lightweight and easily carried in the field. Great option if looking for a high end production rifle.

That’s a beauty!!! Who makes rifle stock?

Looks like the stocky’s m50. Was made for them by ag composites. I believe they are changing to building them in house, but they have a great deal on them now.

M50