• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lightweight Hunting Rifles

My father's Barrett Fieldcraft rifle just arrived today and just from handling it I'm going to be getting one too. The rifle, Vortex Razor HD LH, and TBAC Ultra-7 suppressor all together weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. The quality is just insane to me, and I have much more expensive rifles than this. They hit this rifle out of the park.

Reactions: jwood1284
My father's Barrett Fieldcraft rifle just arrived today and just from handling it I'm going to be getting one too. The rifle, Vortex Razor HD LH, and TBAC Ultra-7 suppressor all together weighs 6 lbs 15 oz. The quality is just insane to me, and I have much more expensive rifles than this. They hit this rifle out of the park.

Please write up a report after you get it out in the field. I've looked very seriously at one of these but never followed through because of mixed reviews on accuracy. I'm very interested to see how yours (or your dad's) performs.

Beautiful rifles, ALL of them! Mouth watering.

6.5 PRC BROWNING X-BOLT PRO - 6 lbs. 3 oz., 24" barrel

This is my choice for hunting in Nevada where distances to game can be long.
The scope: SWFA 3- 15 x 42 (mil/mil),

The X-Bolt Pro line, including the Long Range version (26" barrels) has a lot going for the price.
1. stainless steel barreled action
2. factory lapped barrel
3. fluted barrel, bolt and bolt handle
4. carbon fiber stock
5. Burnt Bronze Cerakote on metal and stock (but the CF weave is still visible)
6. Very good 3 lever "Feather Trigger" - adjustable
7. radial muzzle break & thread protector cap
8. engineering grade polymer center feed rotary magazine
9. factory glass bedded
10. proprietary 4 screw per ring Talley Cerakoted scope base mounting system

This list more than checks all my mountain
P3141635.jpg
feature boxes.
My current 6.5 CM Pro easily got 1/2 MOA with factory Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M ammo in 5 shot groups.
I'm selling this 6.5 CM rifle B/C I want a bit more ft. lbs. of energy for longer shots here in Nevada.
Just got the same rifle in 6.5PRC and put a Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope on it W/illuminated G3 reticle.

Last edited:
I waited 9 months, but I love my Cooper 92! Came in right at 92 oz as advertised in 280AI.

This is the reason I've came to this post... my actual hunting rifle was my grandfathers and it means a lot to me. I decided this year I was going to retire it. I took one of my comp rifles out and that was a mistake... Time to build something lighter!

Reactions: BCX and Wyzrd
I tried the lightweight rifle setup a couple years ago with a Kimber Montana 7.3lbs or so with scope for back country hunting in Washington and I also had issues being consistent with it.
Now the setup I run is about 9lbs scope and rifle. I shoot this setup better and more consistent. To make up for the added two pounds I went and lost about 20lbs of body weight to make up the difference. I feel better and I definitely shoot better.

Love that round. I have a "bean Field Rifle" in that chambering that works well as a PRS rifle.
Love my .280AI Mine is a PRS rifle that works as a bean field rifle or a "Sendero" rifle as we say in south Texas. Would love to have a .280AI as a light weight Elk rifle, but I think I will go with 7mm SAUM for the short action. My lightweight Alpine rifle is a 6 lb 6.5 Creedmoor built by Chad Dixon at LRI.....it is a work of art especially topped with a Leupold Mark 5 HD 3.6-18

@5RWill - that turned out fantastic. Who put it together?

David Gray at Deep South Tactical in pellahatchie MS. I’ve got a couple of friends that shoot for him and he did my brothers 308. Does great work. Some of the groups a friend of mine has shown me are ridiculous. Though he’s an incredible shooter too but still.

Finally done just gotta get home when i get some time off, mount the optic and load.
7SS
Manners PRS2
Proof 1:8.5 sendero
Impact 737r
AMG
NF Ultra lite rings

Looks nice, what's she tip the scales at?

Bare rifle is 6.7lbs. I haven't gotten the bipod, AMG, and can put on it yet.
What barrel length? Light Sendero? I came up with an estimate of 7.1lbs for my Lone Peak Ti build. Hoping it comes in at less than that since yours came in at 6.7lbs with an Impact.

What barrel length? Light Sendero? I came up with an estimate of 7.1lbs for my Lone Peak Ti build. Hoping it comes in at less than that since yours came in at 6.7lbs with an Impact.

Nope regular sendero. Granted the way i weighed it was standing on a scale holding it and subtracting my weight. Scale wouldn't get the rifle alone.

Reactions: mustang-cars
Bare rifle is 6.7lbs. I haven't gotten the bipod, AMG, and can put on it yet.
Wow, that's lighter than I would have expected with the Impact. Good job. Ought to give a good shoulder massage with the 180 class projectile in the 2800fps range (w/o a can at least). (y)

I had a Rem600 Mohawk in .243 that was one of the most accurate rifles I ever had my hands on. I remember it weighed right around 6.5lbs with scope and rings. I wish I still had it. congratulations on the Kimber..

Wow, that's lighter than I would have expected with the Impact. Good job. Ought to give a good shoulder massage with the 180 class projectile in the 2800fps range (w/o a can at least). (y)

I'm expecting 2900-3000 haha but yeah it's likely to have more recoil than i'm expecting.

Not a chance that’s 6.7lbs.
A really nice build all the same

Reactions: 5RWill
Truthfully dunno if that scale is that accurate i shocked when i saw that. Though adding the components up it’s probably 8ish bare. We’re talking 3lbs for the stock, 2.25lbs for the impact, 3lbs for the barrel. Should be right at 11-12 components wise all set up.

Hmm, that's abusing the term "lightweight" when you put it that way. I suppose this is the point where I'd get told to go to the gym and lose 20 lbs, right? :p

Hmm, that's abusing the term "lightweight" when you put it that way. I suppose this is the point where I'd get told to go to the gym and lose 20 lbs, right? :p

Nah haha though that is good for your health. It’s all about perspective. I’ve been carrying my match rifle deer hunting forever. 17lbs gets F’ing old. Which is why i had this built

Reactions: Simia Dei
Finally got some good glass so thinking it will get hunted in Wyoming this year for antelopes. Tikka SL 7MM-08/Hunters Edge/S&B PMII 10x42, right at 7.5lbs.

414236795.jpg

414236793.jpg

I can already smell the antelope tenderloins cooking.. using the 120 Ballistic Tip? Good luck next month my friend!

Finally got the little 6.5 CM squared away with a load before hunting season. It shoots 130 eldms at just under 2800 fps out of the shorty 16" barrel.

Its 4.8 pounds scoped with the little 2.5-10 SWFA Ultralight on it and 5.6 pounds with a TBAC ultra 7 on there.

The scope has proven to be repeatable banging steel out to 600 yards and back repeatedly and still coming back to zero. Just wish the dang thing had a reticle that meant something (and no the BDC doesn't mean anything to me ;) )

Anyways it worked well on a decent Sitka Blacktail as well as a couple caribou this fall.

Attachments

• DEER.jpg
    DEER.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 170
  • SCOPED.jpg
    SCOPED.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 198
  • WTBAC.jpg
    WTBAC.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Finished this one up a few days ago. Not an ultralight rifle, but very handy. Came out to 8lb 1 oz complete. The barrel is very fast with only 20 rounds through it, and shoots great. Very happy with it.

Remington 700
19” Krieger #2
Gunwerks ClymR Carbon stock.
Geissele super 700 trigger
Talley rings
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x

A6DC8168-8B2E-4820-9A8F-DF791DC56AD2.jpeg
14C1EB86-7A9F-4C8B-A2D2-9DA15BE8C190.jpeg

E23A626B-15B9-44D3-8C2B-AACB3E119950.jpeg
38A211F8-E8EE-4242-83AA-776683659AC8.jpeg

How do you like that gunwerks stock? I’ve been eyeballing those but don’t see much on them?
Finished this one up a few days ago. Not an ultralight rifle, but very handy. Came out to 8lb 1 oz complete. The barrel is very fast with only 20 rounds through it, and shoots great. Very happy with it.

Remington 700
19” Krieger #2
Gunwerks ClymR Carbon stock.
Geissele super 700 trigger
Talley rings
Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x

View attachment 7256223View attachment 7256226
View attachment 7256232View attachment 7256233

Reactions: stephen r
Stiller AW
7-08 22" Light Palma
Thunderbeast Ultra 5
Steiner T5 3-15
JCS Composites stock
Ckye-Pod
12 lbs with beast 2lb bipod

Going to shoot the Hornady Hunter Match this fall with it in the sub 12lb weight class. going to switch the scope with Burris new RT-15 which will save me 7oz (23 oz vs 30 oz) and put rifle easily under 10 lbs w/o bipod. also need some lightweigh rings

excited

ETS: weighed rifle alone last night. 8.5 lbs. so pretty excited about making the 12 lb weight class with a decent bipod.

7-08 lope 2018.PNG

Last edited:
Stiller AW
7-08 22" Light Palma
Thunderbeast Ultra 5
Steiner T5 3-15
JCS Composites stock
Ckye-Pod
12 lbs with beast 2lb bipod

Going to shoot the Hornady Hunter Match this fall with it in the sub 12lb weight class. going to switch the scope with Burris new RT-15 which will save me 7oz (23 oz vs 30 oz) and put rifle easily under 10 lbs w/o bipod. also need some lightweigh rings

excited
Those specs look pretty good on that new scope. I wonder what the glass is going to be like

I had a Sako A7 300 Win Mag that I couldn't sell so I built a custom.

My Sako now identifies as a 6.5 PRC

Carbon Six Prefit 20" 1-7 twist
Mcmillan Edge filled stock 12.5" LOP (keeping compact as I can)
Magpul bipod (light and cheap)
Leupold VX5HD 4-20x52mm TZL3 (not installed yet VX3i pictured)
Thunderbeast can in jail.

EDIT: 2885 fps with the factory loaded 143 ELD-X

IMG_2831.jpg

Last edited:
Its 54cm or a bit over 21 1/4", it is a Cabelas exclusive Boar rifle. Came out a few years ago. Very handy.

Here is an add that was out when I bought it.

cached231380.jpg

Finally got my Kimber Montana 338-06 back from the smith last week. Originally it was a 270 I bought used and had rebored to 338-06 and chopped down to 21". Shot some bears, moose, and caribou with it but since I picked up a SiCo Hybrid last summer during the buy one get on free I dediced to lop it back to make it short and handy with the suppressor. So had my gunsmith cut it back to 16.5" and thread it. This way I can shoot and work up loads in the yard.

Anyways, it now shoots 230 grainers at 2525 fps and my 210 sirocco bullet load at just below 2700 fps (2690 fps average). It was just over 2800 fps with that same exact load when it had 5" more barrel so I can live with the velocity drop.

I feel its a a good step up from my 6.5 CM that shoots 135 Hornady A tips at 2800 fps out of its 16.5" barrel that is 5.6 pounds scoped and suppressed (4 pounds 2 oz naked rifle), see post #137 above. While this 338-06 is 7.25 pounds with a heavier scope and suppressor (4 pounds 12 oz naked rifle). Pretty happy with how both of them turned out and likely cover most of what I need hunting wise here in Alaska.

UUDVxwX.jpg

ToRrGpB.jpg

mK6OTE1.jpg

seBBEfk.jpg
3A97E3F3-1595-494A-A60C-4310E31C6954.jpeg
60E6E403-0CC7-4F4E-A05C-B11C7B4C9433.jpeg
AD8B6D65-97F0-4035-A5BD-1C3B5A7DC20D.jpeg
C1593DFC-1D64-4507-B37D-792D02DEDDA3.jpeg

Last edited: