• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes LMAO!!!! Sightron as good as NF.

Re: LMAO!!!! Sightron as good as NF.

I am a huge proponent of Sightron scopes, and have been singing their praises for years. Currently, I own no fewer than 5 or 6 Sightrons, including two SIII's (3.5-10x and 6-24x), two SII Big Sky's (3-12x and 4-16x), and at least one or two SII's. In my eyes, their glass is so close to some of the top level scopes that its hard to call one better than the other. I own (or have owned) US Optics, Trijicon, Bushnell Elite Tactical, Leupold, Zeiss Conquest, Weaver, Meopta and the like, and have yet to shoot through one that I felt had any better glass than the SIII. I've also had the opportunity to shoot a few rifles with Nightforce optics, and the glass was honestly no better in my eyes.

Of course, when dealing with tactical scopes, there is a lot more to consider than just optical clarity or glass quality. Nightforce certainly has the upper hand in turrets and reticle choices, but things are changing. Sightron has now began offering mil/mil options, and are starting to include different reticles. The MMD in the 10x42 is as close to perfect as I could ask for, if they would only add mil turrets. In fact, at $500 its one of the best deals going in optics.

As far as customer service is concerned, Sightron is second to none. I've returned scopes to Sightron, US Optics, Leupold, Bushnell, and Weaver, and Sightron was the quickest of the bunch. Now, I have nothing bad to say about any of the aforementioned companies, as they all took care of my issues, but Sightron was the quickest by far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sightrons are very good for the money and i have looked thru several, their glass is very good, definetly very close to Nightforce in my opinion. All accounts state that they are reliable and track well, but Nightforce can be used as a baseball bat and Sightron can be used as a wiffle ball bat. They ar edefinetly not as robust as Nightforce scopes. </div></div>
I have a Sightron s3 8x32x56mm its glass is fine,if I had a NSX I'm sure its built tough but neither scope will I pound nails with ,nor play base ball with.

I own a sightron 10 to 50 power ,its ok and Id buy it again although it does have some minor short comings.

The SIII SS 8 32X56 power is real nice and i imagine he rest of s111 models are very good also.

The build of sightron doesn't feel as solid as nightforce but if your not taking them to war these are a great scope at a great price .I looked through my old NF5.5 x 22 and do not think NF are doing the best they can in the glass department-id have S111 Glass.,,but neither compare to my S&BPM11 5X25

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... I heard rumors that the SII big sky's were SII's with SIII grade glass. I've messed with a standard SII and wasn't impressed, but I heard from people that have them that the big sky's were a completely different animal...closer to the SIII. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What Sightron told me was that the Big Sky was an SIII with a 1" tube. Internals are supposed to be best yet (for the 1" tube animal). </div></div>

I was very impressed with the SIIB glass when I bought my first one, and my opinion hasn't changed. For those of us who can't justify spending 2k+ on glass, the SIIB and SIII scopes are more than adequate.

I have never used either, but I would say that a low of "lower end" scopes are becoming more and more comparable to the higher end glass. I have compared a lot of my scopes on optical clarity alone and they are very close.

I would venture to say my Burris Fullfield IIs are very close to my USO SN3 in optical clarity and my FFP Springfield Government Gen3 is equal to or slightly better. I believe the SA scope was a Burris contract, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Moral of the story here (in my opinion) is that scope manufacturers that don't grind their own glass have the option to increase or decrease quality at any time, allowing them to compete in high-end markets if they want to invest their own high-end capital to use better components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I about fell out of my chair laughing and choked on my coffee.</div></div> I doubt your laughing now.

Sightron III scopes have top-notch glass & tracking! Difference between NF/Sightron III is like Chevy vs Ford. Both are excellent optics. I see alot of guy's selling there NF and purchasing S-III's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Park,

Maybe you should take that blind fold off, <span style="font-weight: bold">your running your suck blind.</span> You haven't a Clue what your talking about. </div></div>

Oh, did you stutter?

You know the ole sayin you get what ya pay for!

k9g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the point of this thread? Let people use what they want. Who cares. I have used both and didn't notice any real difference. I believe like others have said that the NF is more robust. But one should expect that for the price tag. They both work. People have different opinions and different budgets. Not all of us sit around the house jerking off to our optics and defending every last comment made about them on the net. Smack you seem like a real dolt! This thread is another classic example. We should all be concerned with debating topics with logic (not ignorance), sharing our experiences to help each other become better shooters and helping new shooter along. These types of threads offer none of the above. Rant over!</div></div>

Bla, bla, bla.... </div></div>

Like I said before, DOLT!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the point of this thread? Let people use what they want. Who cares. I have used both and didn't notice any real difference. I believe like others have said that the NF is more robust. But one should expect that for the price tag. They both work. People have different opinions and different budgets. Not all of us sit around the house jerking off to our optics and defending every last comment made about them on the net. Smack you seem like a real dolt! This thread is another classic example. We should all be concerned with debating topics with logic (not ignorance), sharing our experiences to help each other become better shooters and helping new shooter along. These types of threads offer none of the above. Rant over!</div></div>

Bla, bla, bla.... </div></div>

Like I said before, DOLT!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dolt</div></div>

Frikn CLOWN! Laughing....

i've owned a couple sightrons.

a few years go, i heard about the SII Big Sky and the SIII. i decided to go with the SIII 3.5-10.

the glass is just as good as any NF or Leupold i've looked through.

i beat the shit out of that scope (not intentionally, but shit happens), and it held its zero.

i had my rifle get caught on a branch and it pulled a swivel stud clean out of the stock. the rifle went end over end down the slope i was climbing. the outside was scratched and the elevation knob cap was bent, but it held its zero.

i bought another one a few months later and having nothing but good things to say about the scopes and sightron's CS.

the ONLY reason i don't have them anymore is because they're SFP. if sightron made an FFP scope, i'd put some serious consideration into switching back.

Interesting discussion.

For what it is worth, Ssightron makes four distinctly different grades of scopes: S1, S2, S2 Big Sky and S3. All are pretty good in their respective price ranges. About a year ago (or thereabouts), I was asked to write an overview on Sightron's line-up as a quick reference of sorts on how they stack up. Here is the link:

Sightron Overview

For turret twisters, I highly recommend taking a careful look at the new exposed knobs Sightron introduced earlier this year. They are unusually good, especially for the price range.

ILya

Until someone actually compares light transmission of each scope with actual optical instrumentation, comparing glass is fruitless, unless of course you compare low end to high end, the human eye can only discern so much, so comparing high end glass only by "looking through it" is bullshit. How old are you, are you rested, do you have a bias, what is the light quality on any given day? Unless you're in a lab under controlled conditions, forget it. Has anyone used each scope as a baseball bat, or jumped on it or driven on it, to asses ruggedness? Again it is somewhat subjective. I have seen optics from various makers bite the dust, even a Premier Reticles Heritage, new in the box - failed. So far this is all opinions, conjecture, and anecdotal, so not much help at all. Anyone who reads this thread is not coming away with any real useable information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optimist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Has anyone used each scope as a baseball bat, or jumped on it or driven on it, to asses ruggedness?

Anyone who reads this thread is not coming away with any real useable information. </div></div>

you're right. my dropping my rifle/scope down the side of a mountain is a biased opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optimist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot them. Very nice, beefy, well made, excellent glass. I know some people that swear by Leupold and Nightforce for their personal guns, and those they build for clients, and they are considering offering Vortex as an option now. Worth a look, lots of features for price point and excellent warranty service if required from what I hear. Not exactly a scientific review... hope it helps some.</div></div>

looks like you're offering up a useless opinion in another thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optimist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushnell makes outstanding glass</div></div>

oh look. another opinion that offers "not much help at all."

thanks for all the useable information.

let me know how the view is from your glass house.

I'm not sure what your saying Optimist - how should one compare glass?? I do agree when it comes to higher end glass differences are very subtle, but there are differences that I for one like to compare before buying.
Anyway, I agree with those that praise the Sightron SIII. Spent a day at 1000 yd range with my NF 5.5-22x50 next to buddy with his new Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMOA and was really impressed with the Sightron. Glass was excellent, positive clicks, excellent reticle, tracked like a champ, hard to find anything I didn't like about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optimist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Until someone actually compares light transmission of each scope with actual optical instrumentation, comparing glass is fruitless, unless of course you compare low end to high end, the human eye can only discern so much, so comparing high end glass only by "looking through it" is bullshit. How old are you, are you rested, do you have a bias, what is the light quality on any given day? Unless you're in a lab under controlled conditions, forget it. </div></div>

I agree with you in that trying to compare some scopes are completely fruitless when you get into the high end stuff, but I have been able to tell the difference in glass on my scopes. But correct me if I'm wrong... Assuming you have a perfect lens and achieve 100% light transmissibility, there still may be distortion to the image when it gets to our lens (eye). Now with that being said, that may not be significant enough to pick up with our naked eye but it can happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optimist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Until someone actually compares light transmission of each scope with actual optical instrumentation, comparing glass is fruitless, unless of course you compare low end to high end, the human eye can only discern so much, so comparing high end glass only by "looking through it" is bullshit. How old are you, are you rested, do you have a bias, what is the light quality on any given day? Unless you're in a lab under controlled conditions, forget it. Has anyone used each scope as a baseball bat, or jumped on it or driven on it, to asses ruggedness? Again it is somewhat subjective. I have seen optics from various makers bite the dust, even a Premier Reticles Heritage, new in the box - failed. So far this is all opinions, conjecture, and anecdotal, so not much help at all. <span style="color: #CC0000">Anyone who reads this thread is not coming away with any real useable </span>information. </div></div>Id have to say this was a useless post .Peoples experiences matter and not to heed public opinion because you prefer only a scientific test is tantamount to being a robot and only being able to move when instructed while the rest of us flow freely and are able to decipherer peoples opinion

Was I the only one who got a Sightron SIII with audible, crisp click, turrets?? My turrets are fantastic, I did go with the covered turrets, as I use this scope for coyote hunting, so it does see rocks, branches, mud, ice, etc....

She has been durable for me so far, no loss of POI, tracks perfectly, very clear and bright. I shot Fclass with it this year, saw several others on the line using the SIIIs as well.
My buddy uses the NXS 5.5-22, and I actually thought his turrets felt a bit mushy, but they are precise, so that is that I guess. The NXS is proven, period, we can't deny that, we can also read the specs and know it has more options, military use goes a long way. But, I have a choice, and I went with the Sightron.

I have the 8-32x56 mil, I am happy, I thought this thing was rugged, but after reading this, a guy starts to wonder. I am however, toying with the idea of exposed turrets, I just don't want my turrets twisting while my rig is getting tossed around...

I think my turrets are nice as well, however are a little too light to turn. I like the ones on my nightforce better. I'm trying to trade up to one with exposed turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my turrets are nice as well, however are a little too light to turn. I like the ones on my nightforce better. I'm trying to trade up to one with exposed turrets. </div></div>

Just wondering what's the advantages over exposed turrets? Wouldn't you just get exposed turrets by taking the caps off. Are exposed turrets more rugged?

Exposed turrets are a little quicker to adjust over capped. And if you're like me, no caps to lose!

I was very very skeptical to try Sightron.

I did I bought the newest 6-24 SIII with the exposed tactical turrets.

There is not enough Crow in the world.

Side by side the Scope I got from Sightron is a fantastic Product.

The depth perception is superb it gives a 3D image unlike any other scope I have.

Edge to Edge clarity and a feel that puts many other turrets to shame It is a true work in progress Sightron has arrived.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LAPUASLAPU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was very very skeptical to try Sightron.

I did I bought the newest 6-24 SIII with the exposed tactical turrets.

There is not enough Crow in the world.

Side by side the Scope I got from Sightron is a fantastic Product.

The depth perception is superb it gives a 3D image unlike any other scope I have.

Edge to Edge clarity and a feel that puts many other turrets to shame It is a true work in progress Sightron has arrived. </div></div>

I've got this same unit, MIL/MIL 6-24x50 SII Tactical, and it's been great! I recently purchased my first NF NXS for another build, and I'm excited to get it in service soon. There is very little difference in the optical quality that I can see, and so far the Sightron has held up just fine. Very good glass for the money, very good glass period! CKruse

I'll get in the Sightron line on this one too. I've been a fan of Sightron for about the last five years. I have to admit that I've never owned anything in the SI or SII line, but all of the Big Skies and SIII that I've had, used, shot with have been nice scopes.

As much of a Nightforce fan as I am, I do have to concede that there really isn't special about the glass. It's good glass, but not great glass.

LOL no seriously, I think the NF is great, but a tad overpriced. I would buy one if I saw the value in twice the money. But I don't. I had no experience with the S3. I will check one out now just for fun.

I don't know that I'd say that the Nightforce is over priced. You certainly get what you pay for. Glass more than good enough to get the job done in a package that you would have to try to kill to break it. The last part is what I paid for.

The more I look back at some of the OP's posts, the more it seems this was nothing more than a troll post to dog Sightron optics.

I believe SIII glass is some of the best you can find under $1k, bar none, and compares quite well with optics in the $1.5-2k range. Hell, my SIII 6-24x was so close optically to the US Optics SN3 3.2-17x I owned, that it was difficult to call one necessarily better than the other. Same goes with my 3.5-10x compared with my ST10 (both at 10x). Now, am I saying an $800 SIII is the same as a $2400 USO? Absolutely not. They are completely different scopes. I am saying, though, that if Sightron would start offering a GAP style reticle (or simply use their MMD) with mil turrets in a 4-16x or 5-20 SIII, there would be no reason for me to buy another scope. Hell, make it a FFP for $1000, and they would sell like hotcakes. Sightron already has the glass, tracking repeatability, and the best CS in the industry, so now all they need to do is expand their options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are exposed turrets more rugged?</div></div>

Personally, I prefer capped turrets. All exposed turrets have the potential to get bumped and moved in the field, but can easily be returned to zero (assuming the shooter is paying close attention to the dials). I will say this, though, the USO EREK knob is about the best you can find in an exposed turrets. Its very low profile, and is one of the harder turrets to bump and move.

I think the OP thought that a lot of people would jump on his band wagon, ripping on Sightron. I wouldn't flat out knock any product, even if I had an issue with it. My negative experience could be out weighed by 1000 positive ones. This is a classic case of a person making an assumption on something he has zero knowledge of.

I have both, I think the glass is equal with a slight edge going to the S111. Most who look through both scopes agree. I like exposed turrets better than the caps. I'm not crazy about the mildot reticle with the S111. Tracking is equal. The NF feels heavier and better built, clicks are waay better. So to sum it up, for just shootin targets, benchrest, and hunting, I'll go with the S111, if I ever find myself in a battle situation, I'll take the NF. My next scope will be the S111 8x32, or maybe a used NF 8x32.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question. How many military contracts has Sightron won?</div></div>

how many Leupolds are worth MSRP?

i could write volumes on this subject, probably fill up a few pages. You can tell differences in optics, light transmission aside, the coatings and the different firms that produce lens glass make a difference. the differences might not be easy or could be tiny or only visible in specific situations, but you will always notice when you need them, things like field of view, edge to edge clarity, sight picture. it can relate to contrasting targets, to how well you can cope with mirage. glass aside, mechanical repeatably and reliability are very important features to me and to most people i think.

keep in mind, all glass looks the same under shop lights. and differences aren't as apparent in broad daylight at a 100 yard range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opticsspecialist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i could write volumes on this subject, probably fill up a few pages. You can tell differences in optics, light transmission aside, the coatings and the different firms that produce lens glass make a difference. the differences might not be easy or could be tiny or only visible in specific situations, but you will always notice when you need them, things like field of view, edge to edge clarity, sight picture. it can relate to contrasting targets, to how well you can cope with mirage. glass aside, mechanical repeatably and reliability are very important features to me and to most people i think.

keep in mind, all glass looks the same under shop lights. and differences aren't as apparent in broad daylight at a 100 yard range </div></div>

Not only that, but two identical scopes will perform differently in the field, I suppose due to normal variance from unit to unit. I have two Zeiss Conquests in 4.5-14x and one is noticeably better than the other compared side by side.

Another good thing about the NEW S3 6x24-50 LRMOA is the amount of elevation adjustment. I counted the clicks from top to bottom and came up with 431 clicks which if I figured right, that is 107 MOA of adjustment both up and down. Was yours the same 338LAP?

Answer, who cares how many military contracts Sightron has been awarded!!!! That's not what makes the Sightron scopes so good. What I've seen with sightron, they listen to the public so I'm sure we will be seeing more options added.

Not giving a yea or nea to either one but come on over to 6mmbr. Their is alot of people from all over United States that use them and love em.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strage I don't ever see Sightrons parked on long range rigs anywhere?? Must be the whole Pacific Northwest is not up to speed on this quality optic. Why buy a 5.5- 22 NF with zero stop and high speed knob when I can have 3 Sightrons for the same price. Must be the best kept secret in optics!
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I wonder if Frank would put one next to some ubber glass and give us his take...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the force is weak in this thread </div></div>

That there is some funny stuff. Nice pun too.
grin.gif

Nothing like dragging a post from another forum into the mix.

I used to log onto this sight and I would be amazed at the interesting exchanges and the quality of information that was being posted. Now days it's insults, conjecture, and a level of civility that takes me back to my days as a 2nd grade teacher. Why I even bother posting on this site is beyond me. It's like fcuking AR15.com over here now days. Dip$hits with no experience posting all kinds of speculative and inflammatory bull$hit, and moderators that don't seem to give a flying fcuk that this forum is rapidly become a joke.

Let me get this right: someone who posts here used a Sightron 12 years ago and didn't like the glass, and that means it's open season on anyone who owns a Sightron and happens to like it? Brilliant! What's next SMACK? You going to tell us to stop breathing air because you farted yesterday?

Hell, I don't even own a Sightron, and I probably never will, but I'm not such a retard as to reject the possibility that there is no possible way a scope that costs several hundred dollars less could have comparable glass and features that rival or surpass the venerable and touted NF!

By the way, I own NF, S&B, Vortex, IOR, Leupold, MeOpta, Bushnell, Weaver, ACOG, Tasco, and God only knows what else, and I use a number of them frequently in match shooting. I have a relatively good amount of experience behind the vast majority of scope makers tactical/hunting/target products, but you don't here me spouting bullshit remarks based on a single bad experience I had 12 years ago. On the contrary, I have looked through and fired a number of rifles that were sporting Sightron optics and frankly I was impressed with the optical clarity, especially when considering the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to log onto this sight and I would be amazed at the interesting exchanges and the quality of information that was being posted. Now days it's insults, conjecture, and a level of civility that takes me back to my days as a 2nd grade teacher. Why I even bother posting on this site is beyond me. It's like fcuking AR15.com over here now days. Dip$hits with no experience posting all kinds of speculative and inflammatory bull$hit, and moderators that don't seem to give a flying fcuk that this forum is rapidly become a joke.

Let me get this right: someone who posts here used a Sightron 12 years ago and didn't like the glass, and that means it's open season on anyone who owns a Sightron and happens to like it? Brilliant! What's next SMACK? You going to tell us to stop breathing air because you farted yesterday?

Hell, I don't even own a Sightron, and I probably never will, but I'm not such a retard as to reject the possibility that there is no possible way a scope that costs several hundred dollars less could have comparable glass and features that rival or surpass the venerable and touted NF!

By the way, I own NF, S&B, Vortex, IOR, Leupold, MeOpta, Bushnell, Weaver, ACOG, Tasco, and God only knows what else, and I use a number of them frequently in match shooting. I have a relatively good amount of experience behind the vast majority of scope makers tactical/hunting/target products, but you don't here me spouting bullshit remarks based on a single bad experience I had 12 years ago. On the contrary, I have looked through and fired a number of rifles that were sporting Sightron optics and frankly I was impressed with the optical clarity, especially when considering the price.
</div></div>

Got to love that Weaver!!!!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strage I don't ever see Sightrons parked on long range rigs anywhere?? Must be the whole Pacific Northwest is not up to speed on this quality optic. Why buy a 5.5- 22 NF with zero stop and high speed knob when I can have 3 Sightrons for the same price. Must be the best kept secret in optics!
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Jerry has one
smile.gif

I like my leupolds (MK4,VXR,VXII, VXII), SIIIs (6x24-50 LRMOA) weavers (3-10,T15) swfas (10X), burris (3-9, 4.5-14), and IORs (16x, 3.8-18) scopes. They all have there place. I will try NF some day. The viper vortex I would send back if I could (don't like) Also I know I would like S&B, Primer, USO etc.

John

(Still waiting for LL to chime in.)

Would love to see the answer to the following equation:

Frank + (Sightron SIII + Tannerite + 175smk + 2700fps) = ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAAM12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I know I would like S&B, Primer, USO etc.

John </div></div>

I know of Premier, but who is this "Primer" scope you speak of??