• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

If you want to experiment with other rail pieces these screws are the replacement screws. I just bought a couple of spare rails to have on stash since I have a couple uppers. But these are the screws. Before I found the spare rail pieces, I wondered if there were other rails I could substitute. After finding what I needed, I gave up the hunt.

MonsterBolts - #10-32 x 5/16" Low Head Socket Screws, Alloy Steel, Black Oxide, 20 Pack ( Amazon)​

PB

Last edited:
Anyone got any results with the CIP barrels yet?
I shot mine out to 675 yds yesterday. First time out with the MWS. Managed a 75% hit percentage on 2 MOA targets with a 10x scope and gusting winds. During sight in, it shot around 1 MOA right out of the box with no load tuning at all. Reliability was 100%. A very solid deal for a barrel.

I shot mine out to 675 yds yesterday. First time out with the MWS. Managed a 75% hit percentage on 2 MOA targets with a 10x scope and gusting winds. During sight in, it shot around 1 MOA right out of the box with no load tuning at all. Reliability was 100%. A very solid deal for a barrel.
What ammunition?

What ammunition?
The load was Sierra 155 SMK over 44 gr of Accurate 4064, in LC brass. It is a moderate load and not particularly fast, but is easy on the gun and brass. It won't make it to 1000 yards but it is supersonic to around 850 yards out of a 16" barrel.

Reactions: Hetzer
I really thought we were safe with these barrels but its great to hear someone took one out to go bang bang with solid results. Thanks for the reply.

PB

Reactions: Jsp556
Decided to pick up a MWS battle rifle upper that was on sale. Is everyone still getting good results with the lw chrome lined 16 and 13.5 inch barrels?

Decided to pick up a MWS battle rifle upper that was on sale. Is everyone still getting good results with the lw chrome lined 16 and 13.5 inch barrels?
Happiness is a warm 16CL MWS barrel, so yes 100%. I wish I had a 13.5 just to play with but 16 is the real deal. I dont want to give up that much velocity.

PB

I have always thought the same thing about 13.5 vs 16, but I watched a Karl Lewis interview where he said he thought 13.5 was the ideal length for a 308 from all of the LMT testing. I guess my question is if that is assumed to always be suppressed or not. KAC also makes the 308 ACC/CC in 14.5 these days, so maybe there is something to this.

I know there was a bunch of hype with the 6.5CM 13.5's but those barrels are unobtainable. I'd like load a mag of 120 grainers and let them rip upright moving forward. I shoot a fair amount of 155TMK's with good success but that is as light in 308 for handholds. 147 MEN has been shot quite a bit for solid practice inside 600.

Was there any data on the 13.5 308 testing available? I SBR'd my first LMT many moons ago and never bought a 13.5, then Obama made that fucker worth $4,500 bucks and off she went.

PB

@Pappasniper What 16 inch 308 barrel do you have? The standard? I am curious about the differences between it and the lightweight 16 inch for performance. I know there is an 11 oz weight difference, but I am curious how much faster the lw version heats up compared to the standard for when I buy some extra barrels.

I have owned both and I think I have the LW version now. I noticed no difference between the two to the point I am not sure I know the difference. I bought the FDE slick side LW gun if my memory serves me. Then bought a 20 inch SS barrel trying to get more velocity but gained very little. I recently bought a spare CIP barrel in 6.5 and I am happy others have tried it and it worked well. That spare 16 inch barrel turned into a gun.

PB

Reactions: USGILT
I have owned both and I think I have the LW version now. I noticed no difference between the two to the point I am not sure I know the difference. I bought the FDE slick side LW gun if my memory serves me. Then bought a 20 inch SS barrel trying to get more velocity but gained very little. I recently bought a spare CIP barrel in 6.5 and I am happy others have tried it and it worked well. That spare 16 inch barrel turned into a gun.

PB
I picked up one of the 6.5 cip barrels and am very happy with it as well, it’s a solid barrel.

Those aren't horrible velocities for a 20".
I've come to realize that now that I've spent more time on it and compared it to others. I'm just used to slinging 175SMKs at 2700+ in the AI. This rifle shoots but now I've come to the crossroads of never getting time (or ammo) to shoot it.

Unrelated question... I think you commented on another post for a new dude in AZ. Are you in Tucson? If so, did you do last weekend's 2gun at Pima Pistol Club? I've been meaning to use this (in the 16" setup) at it but never pulled the trigger to run it instead of my MRP.

Reactions: kthomas
Thanks for the heads up. That CIP 16 inch barrel I see in stock on the lmt site is the regular profile, but only $399. Looks like a great deal, especially if it is getting good reviews here.

I do wonder why LMT doesn't offer the 16 inch lw as a factory offer. The only LW offered is the 13.5 pinned and welded to 16 inches for the Battle Rifle.

16 inch Chrome lined at 300 yards with some old green box 168 FGMM

881C7E31-754C-404E-B4BD-3C9292740685.jpeg

31525CB5-7090-437E-821E-FE0716651CC6.jpeg

4” Shoot n C, all twenty rounds made the picture.

C0A23FE4-B92D-478C-8D72-7F140356BC89.jpeg

I’ll take that from a big semi pushing around the metal chunk of bolt.

I've come to realize that now that I've spent more time on it and compared it to others. I'm just used to slinging 175SMKs at 2700+ in the AI. This rifle shoots but now I've come to the crossroads of never getting time (or ammo) to shoot it.

Unrelated question... I think you commented on another post for a new dude in AZ. Are you in Tucson? If so, did you do last weekend's 2gun at Pima Pistol Club? I've been meaning to use this (in the 16" setup) at it but never pulled the trigger to run it instead of my MRP.

I'm a member of PPC, but I haven't shot in any of the matches there. 2 (or 3 gun) isn't really my thing. Are you in Tucson as well?

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I'm a member of PPC, but I haven't shot in any of the matches there. 2 (or 3 gun) isn't really my thing. Are you in Tucson as well?
Sierra Vista AKA 2hrs bum fuck nowhere SE of you 😂
The 2G is a fun one but the only one I make time to do up there. I won’t be back there until October though. Trying for once a quarter after that.

Reactions: kthomas
@Pappasniper just noticed you mentioned the 762 MEN. I was not able to buy any before they were all bought up, how do they shoot? I did manage to pick up a few k of Norma FMJ in 308 last year and the year before, which I am hoping shoots decently.

That is a nice package... Curious how you will like the big ACOG, I have always been intrigued by those.

Now the one thing that I will say about the MWS platform is WOW it is not a light weapon system. Granted my stuff is the heavier old school quad rail with a standard weight barrel. When I was shooting mine, I handed it to my friend, and his comment was "how does such a short compact rifle weigh so much?"

thanks, not so sure on the acog myself - may end up selling it. will see soon however.

I have to say my GAP10 and Scar 20s are heavy pigs too, so I think I'm creating a swine herd.

Last edited:
It's sexy. With the approval times being thrown around right now I'm tempted.

i hear ya. Started two other cans a few weeks ago, but no luck on the 2-day approvals. I've got an OCM5 and this AEM5-30, and I'm really wanting another Allen Engineering can.

Visited some friends up at Badger today and upgraded my mounting setup along with a few other pieces. If you look close, you may see a soon-to-be released part.
That is a sweet setup.

What barrel is that?

as I wrote above I bought two cip 6.5 cm barrels from lmt directly and found this great deal on ammo, bought 1500 and I thought i'd share

Reactions: matt33 and yej0001
@Pappasniper just noticed you mentioned the 762 MEN. I was not able to buy any before they were all bought up, how do they shoot? I did manage to pick up a few k of Norma FMJ in 308 last year and the year before, which I am hoping shoots decently.
That ammo shot 1.5 to 2 MOA and was .60 a round Back in the day. Sometimes MOA if you got lucky. It shot very well, also the big bonus is the brass is excellent. We weighed it and it was very consistent and holds up well for reloads. We even used it for bolt gun ammo reloads. We shot it to 1k but the bullet is really a 600 yard bullet.
I’ll still load up a mag and go to work, good fun.

I bought some Norma but it was 168’s and 175’s, pretty nice for under $1.5 /rd
PB

This seemed a fun way to contribute to the LMT page...

Despite the monolithic upper not being the lightest, or even a light option, I had it and wanted to do something completely opposite from the portly, 20" SS "precision" setup I also have.

I sent a V Seven 14.5" flutted barrel to D. Wilson for their LMT conversion, and brake P/W. While I don't have many rounds through it, its a fun set up. Sans suppressor, its quite wieldy; all that weight is mid and rearward. It will usually wear a HUXWRX QD-HX suppressor and that tames the recoil and concussion well enough.

tempImagehmOKKU.jpg

This seemed a fun way to contribute to the LMT page...

Despite the monolithic upper not being the lightest, or even a light option, I had it and wanted to do something completely opposite from the portly, 20" SS "precision" setup I also have.

I sent a V Seven 14.5" flutted barrel to D. Wilson for their LMT conversion, and brake P/W. While I don't have many rounds through it, its a fun set up. Sans suppressor, its quite wieldy; all that weight is mid and rearward. It will usually wear a HUXWRX QD-HX suppressor and that tames the recoil and concussion well enough.

View attachment 8382542
That’s a nice setup. Have you had a chance to test that barrel for accuracy? I’m interested to hear how it does.

It's a MWS in 308/ 762.

I haven't tested for accuracy, though if I get ambitious, as the weather warms, I'll bring a scope to the range one day and do so. Sadly, I am not one of those shooters who can produce amazing groups with low magnification.

I do have a 16" 5.56 and a 22" 6.5 CM both with V Seven barrels. Both are still low round count, but the 6.5 gave me some nice groups with 120 gr. (it either didn't like the 140 as much or--more likely--I am constantly rusty.

The 16" had a 1-8 on it up until recently and I didn't do any "small group shooting."

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
39E46EAB-11A0-4608-9CF5-FC59EF35A86A.jpeg

Just added the MWS to the PX so she can find a new home. Barely broken in but funds are needed for the next adventure. 🫡🍻

Reactions: Jsp556
Agreed a pack from this century makes sense but you could probably keep the MWS - AND - afford a new pack.
Sir, there is NOTHING wrong with my girl Alice. She’s always been there for me…ready to be the big or little spoon.

Buttttt I only have time to shoot one rifle (my AXSR) so I can’t justify letting the MWS sit in the safe when I could use it to fund a cold plunge tank…which is the only thing stopping my OnlyBathWaterFans account from going viral. Desperate times 😂

Last edited:
I am a vintage aficionado.

I’m digging that coyote frame.

This is an internet image but the same beast is in my basement loaded with steels ready for me to hump across the shooting field late in April to set some T post and targets…..

1711934518622.jpeg

Last edited:
I am a vintage aficionado.

I’m digging that coyote frame.

This is an internet image but the same beast is in my basement loaded with steels ready for me to jump across the shooting field late in April to set some T post and targets…..

View attachment 8386094
Niceeee.
Yea that’s the TacTailor frame. Welded vs rivets. Great frame.

I take my gunslinger 2 pack loaded down with t posts and steel plates and carry the sledge for my mountain target days. Handles it pretty well. …eventually I’ll get attacked by something and when I fall, the steel will do me in hahaha

What are people's thoughts on the LMT 308 Piston Barrel & Bolt setup?

I have and love my current LMT configurations. But I am seriously thinking about adding a Piston version to my 308 family.

What are people's thoughts on the LMT 308 Piston Barrel & Bolt setup?

I have and love my current LMT configurations. But I am seriously thinking about adding a Piston version to my 308 family.
Personally, I wouldn’t want to add the weight to an already heavy system.
Why do you want piston?

This has been a slow burn of a project. I picked it up with the intention of it being a dedicated thermal gun for hogs and deer during depridation season. Currently waiting for a BRT ez tune gas tube so maybe the can will play nice with the rifle.

Attachments

• 20240208_170645.jpg
    20240208_170645.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 61
If anyone is looking for an ARCA rail for their LM8/SLK upper, Matt at Sawtooth Rifles modified one of their M-LOK ARCA rails for me. Modified and shipped same day. Excellent customer service and it fits perfectly.