• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

I dont want anything to make my LMT louder. Thats why I was looking at the BABC they claim it doesnt add any noise. Ive seen other comps make an AR15 3 times louder. If I didnt live in Illinois I would get a suppressor for the LMT, As far as recoil goes my LMT 308 doesnt have much recoil at all. To me it isnt that much more then a standard AR15. If the BABC didn't add any noise and reduced the little recoil it has then I would get it.

You guys should try out those Surefire Ear Plugs if you need to double up your ear plugs lol. They work great you can hear everything as if you had no ear plugs in but when you shoot it blocks out the noise completely. Just last week I was shooting my Ruger Redhawk 44mag at a indoor range and those SureFIre plugs did the job.

After shooting mine and thinking about it, I don't think I want a muzzle brake anymore, I am just tickled with how well this rifle works. Brass is fantastic still and pretty much launched it all into the same spot.

+1 to the surefire ear plugs too, I really like them.

I've read a few threads referencing recoil on the .308 MWS. Not having fired one I'm assuming it will be less than a 30-06, M1903, with C stock? The recoil is not that significant to prevent firing a 300 yard rapid, 10 shots with a mag change in 60 seconds?

Are these bad guesses on my part?

Not even close to 30-06 by any measure, with or without a brake.

Why would you need to change the magazine for 10 shots? Shooting 300 is a breeze. The only thing slowing you down will be waiting to hear the slap on the steel travel back.

Never fired a 30-06 M1903 with C stock, or attempted a 300yard rapid 10shot w/ a mag change in 60sec....however OFIS seemed to handle the recoil more than adequately in his video which depicts how fast he was able to recover, transition into the next target and so on.

I never miss seeing my hits or splashes, and never have problems recovering after breaking a shot...and my MWS will recoil more than any other config...i.e. 16" CL barrel with no brake/comp, and stock buffer/spring as opposed to a slashes heavy buffer.

With all that said, this rifle isn't the best fit for ladies or little ones, as it certainly delivers as nice little "love tap" when fired. This rifle takes a bit of getting used to, or at least it did for myself. Imho, the recoil is very far away from being a deal breaker.

pic:)
DSC03595-1.jpg

I had my scope dialed up to 15x and was shooting 330 yards, and I could see where the bullet hit through the scope so the recoil isn't that bad. It is about the same to me as my old M1A with the factory muzzle brake.

My wife would shoot this rifle no problem and after all the shooting I have done with this gun, my shoulder has zero indication of recoil. I was wearing a t-shirt and a thin fleece, very thin, recoil is really not bad at all for follow up shots. In fact, when I was at lower power shooting at the berm, follow ups were pretty quick, side note I was not using a bipod I was just using my backpack. With a good bipod it should be really awesome for follow up shots.

+1 to everything Trident said, literally.

Recoil is what it is. My intent is to use this on occasion in CMP type matches in the M110 class. It will be for fun only, not like I'd be looking for points or whatever for LEG matches but I wouldnt want to totally suck either. More often I will be laying on my belly taking single slow fire shots.

An M1A doesnt recoil so bad and they do great in 300/600 rapid so if this is similar I know what to expect.

I'm not recoil averse and expect it with just about any .30 cal I was just surprised to see it mentioned more than once. Perhaps those posters are making comparisons based on other AR's in the 5.56 calibers with no other .30 cal experience to compare to.

For the curious the top two 03's in this photo have C stocks

GungnirNothungMjolnir-1.jpg

Just a pistol grip stock as opposed to straight or scant stocked 03's.

Ive shot an old 1903 springfield and the LMT has way less recoil. In my opinion the Recoil of the LMT 308 is very light. I dont think it was much more then an AR15 5.56 and mine is bone Stock. I was able to dump and mag as fast as I can pull the trigger and still be on target at 50 yards or so. The only reason I was looking into a brake/comp is because I can get a deal on one and the less recoil a rifle has the better. If I had it my way I would put a suppressor on it but I cant own a Suppressor in Illinois.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not even close to 30-06 by any measure, with or without a brake.

Why would you need to change the magazine for 10 shots? Shooting 300 is a breeze. The only thing slowing you down will be waiting to hear the slap on the steel travel back. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply. The recoil wouldnt be a decision factor but I was curious after seeing it mentioned a few times - thought I might be missing something in the construction or design of the rifle.

Regards mag changes - its part of the course of fire probably going back to the 03, that only chambered 5 rounds. Its just to test the shooters skill doing a mag change under stress. When I use my Garand at the matches I start with two in the magazine and after the ping load an 8 round en bloc. With the 03 a 5 round stripper clip and with this it will be shoot 5, dump, insert 5.Rapids are shot prone at 600, sitting at 300.

Likely this will be the most accurate of my 3 rifles but probably the heaviest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked this bad boy up yesterday. Taking it to the range today.

</div></div>

Is this a used rifle? Or did they install a UBR stock on the rifle?

Beenjammin...love the UBR, and I can't wait til I turn my current MWS into a much more dedicated LR rifle and by extension add a UBR and slashes heavy buffer. I'm an Auburn alum by the way, miss the hell outta that place. Bring that MWS to the ham, and lets wring out alongside mine.

The UBR is the absolute perfect stock for the MWS imho....it balances the slightly front heaviness of it, and it's a true precision stock yet remains as compact as a SOPMOD when collapsed.

What's the max effective range of a .260rem 20" MWS barrel config. if anyone had to guess...given shooter, and ammo are present?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is this a used rifle? Or did they install a UBR stock on the rifle?

77 </div></div>

Yes I purchased it this way, got a good deal on the whole package. It does indeed have the heavy buffer and spring due to the carbine length tube. I do like the UBR with this rifle though ( I didnt think I would).

I too had read the reports about the recoil. Now I know this is my first post here and this is after all the internet so this sounds weird but pretty much my whole shooting experience has involved .308 rifles. I got into shooting through Appleseed back in 07 and my first rifle I bought was a FAL ..then moved into M14's. Now I own a MWS and got to shoot it today for the first time...wow..Take it from me this rifle is the softest .308 I have ever shot. I am completely impressed with it and now see that koolaid is true about this rifle.wow

beenjammin, Is that the BA Battle comp on there? If so please let me know how it is. They claim it doesnt add noise like other comps do. I know you dont have a stock one to compare it to. But Im sure you will notice if it is crazy loud.

beenjammin,

I too, am curious about the BABC on the MWS. Does it increase concussion and blast noise? Does it transfer recoil rearward? Does it possibly, over compensate?

Would love to hear yours or others experiences with the BABC on the MWS.

Thanks,
Geld6

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Geld6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">beenjammin,

I too, am curious about the BABC on the MWS. Does it increase concussion and blast noise? Does it transfer recoil rearward? Does it possibly, over compensate?

Would love to hear yours or others experiences with the BABC on the MWS.

Thanks,
Geld6 </div></div>

Will let you know. It rained here all weekend so I did not get a chance to fire it yet. I have never used the BABC before. It came with this rifle.

Hey All

I picked up an LMT MWS a few months ago, and was surprised to find the fit of the SOPMOD stock to be very loose compared to the sopmod stock on my CQB MRP defender. On the MRP it takes some effort to move the stock and lock it into place, and once locked into place there is no movement or wiggle at all.

On my MWS the sopmod stock slides much more freely, and when locked into place there is some back and forth wiggle, not as much as what you would find on a colt 6920, but there certainly seems to be more movement than there should be.

WHen the MWS stock is placed on the MRP it is tight, and when the WRP stock is placed on the MWS it is loose, so it is something to do with the buffer tube on the MWS.

Those here that have the MWS, how tight is your sopmod fit?

My SOPMOD factorys tock also has no discernible sloppiness.

By the way, I just added the Battleline SAPR adjustable cheekpiece / butted to my SOPMOD. I have not fired it yet that way, but really like the extra ergonomic adjustments it adds. There is a separate thread on the Batteline SAPR.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like a glove.

Sounds like your buffer tube might be undersized. </div></div>

Yep...thats what I was thinking. Has this been an issue that has popped up before for anyone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glocke12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like a glove.

Sounds like your buffer tube might be undersized. </div></div>

Yep...thats what I was thinking. Has this been an issue that has popped up before for anyone? </div></div>

Yes,

I had one that was a little loose, not as much as yours sounds and on another rifle it was way too tight (sounds like Goldie Locks!!!), so I swapped them around.

It could also be the light gray lubrication coating that LMT uses on the buffer tube, that stuff does come off, I had it start to really flake off on one of mine and I finished it off with some gun scrubber....the stock after that did feel a little loose.

When I cleaned mine, the gun scrubber took the paint off of the buffer tube, but after that my stock moved easier. Before this, it was difficult, very much so, to move... Now it is perfect, no play, and you can move from notch to notch.

For those of you wanting to run an ADM recon sl mount. My S&B 5-56 would just barely clear, but I could not fit my rear BUIS behind it. Mine came with diamondback BUIS set. Anyone know if there is any rears out there that are lower? I tried the SCAR 16s rear as well since its pretty much the same as the KAC 600m and it wouldnt fit either. Might have to use a Larue OBR mount, but then Ill probably be at the other end of the spectrum and be too high.

The ADM recon-sl is prefect in height with a UBR if you dont want a rear BUIS.

Also, I cant compare, but if the another scope has a small OD scope rear lens, it might work with the lowest rear BUIS out there.

Just picked up my new LMT MWS Saturady and installed one of Ross's brakes on it(Hide member). The stock on mine is solid with no movement at all. I also installed one of the new Nightforce 2.5-10X32 scopes on it. Man this thing shoots just as good as my bolt gun out to 750yds. I should of bought one of these a long time ago. Loaded some bulk 175 SMK's in a Dillon with 43.5 + or - of Varget and seated at mag length and it shoots sub moa. All I can say is WOW!

Anyone know if LMT is going to offer the MWS in a short barrel configuration from the factory?

My pal at LMT says no the last time I asked...

Oddly enough though, the new dual ejector bolts were specifically implemented for the use of shorter barrels, i.e. the 13.5" barrel.

LMT is making somebody very special a 13.5" F/A MWS....if it's not the u.s. civies, and it's not the normal British or NZ troops, than who is for? SAS:)

This rifle with a 13.5" barrel looks incredibly wicked....

Check this out:
MWS13B.jpg

http://www.modernbattlerifles.com/forum/showthread.php?32-LMT-MWS-13.5-quot-Battle-Carbine

eta...tonytx, great report brother!

Has anyone tried the Altas Bipod? thinking of throwing one on my MWS system, cant decide if its worth the extra bucks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pal at LMT says no the last time I asked...

Oddly enough though, the new dual ejector bolts were specifically implemented for the use of shorter barrels, i.e. the 13.5" barrel.

LMT is making somebody very special a 13.5" F/A MWS....if it's not the u.s. civies, and it's not the normal British or NZ troops, than who is for? SAS:)

Check this out:
MWS13B.jpg

http://www.modernbattlerifles.com/forum/showthread.php?32-LMT-MWS-13.5-quot-Battle-Carbine

eta...tonytx, great report brother! </div></div>

"My pal at LMT says no the last time I asked..."

The only thing I have at LMT is my money.

Also, has anyone done a range test of the 16" v 20" stainless? Looking to dial this system in for 400 - 800 yds... I've heard that the change in velocity wont affect shots until well past 1000 yards - opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedogo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried the Altas Bipod? thinking of throwing one on my MWS system, cant decide if its worth the extra bucks... </div></div>

I have the Atlas. I use it on both my LMT MWSE and y TRG 42. I like it waaaay more than a Harris. Very clean appearance, very easy to use. After comparing the Atlas and the Harris, I just couldn't bring myself to buy the Harris.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trident1982</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My pal at LMT says no the last time I asked...

Check this out:
MWS13B.jpg

eta...tonytx, great report brother!</div></div>

I thought the dual ejector bolts were designed to better seat the round in the camber and give each round more consistent back pressure so the round doesn't cant as it is fired? How do the dual ejector ports help with the shorter barrel?

With my 20" barrel the rounds get kicked out so hard the block deforms the brass - I was thinking this was the result of the extra kick form the two ejectors...

People don't get how tightly these rifles shoot. I love mine, SOPMOD tight, very good trigger, finish very good, feels really compact overall. Like super compact.

Monolithic upper is beefy. I like the factory pistol grip. Change barrels in 2 minutes.

No wonder the British and New Zealanders snagged them. A stout, very .mil rifle, on the shelf, ready to go. No muss, no fuss.

It's my least expensive .308 rifle, but one of my favorites. Put a US Optics SN-3s on mine, green JNG, Bobro bipod. Troy Maxi-Pad sling to carry that bad boy.

The Atlas Bipod is the by far the best I ever used. Before I got one I used Harris and this thing blows harris out of the water.

The atlas is very light and strong. its very easy to use and adjust. When you shoot, it absorbs the recoil. Its cool I want to buy another for my other rifle.
Plus there is all kinds of attachments for it. you can get 3in leg extensions different feet etc... Buy it, you wont regret it.

I would like to see LMT make a 24in barrel for the MWS 308. It would be great for those really long shots, then it will defiantly smoke all the bolt guns out there.

DSC03660-1.jpg

Barnes 150gr. TTSX fully expanded after hitting the steel from 800yds...
DSC03669-1.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNQT7LsdQk&feature=youtube_gdata"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnNQT7LsdQk&feature=youtube_gdata" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

It's probably not safe to shoot so close to someone's birthday party
wink.gif

How much difference in drop is the 150 to the 175?

Lol....at the start of the session we setup several different groups of helium fielded balloons at different intervals along the path in order to try and learn some more about the wind at that location. That place has some seriously tricky wind. We had planned to shoot the balloons but they had all popped by the time we were gonna do that.

At 800yds the difference is about 20".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see LMT make a 24in barrel for the MWS 308. It would be great for those really long shots, then it will defiantly smoke all the bolt guns out there. </div></div>

Sadly, they don't. I ended up taking a different route. Bought a Dan Lilja 24" SS barrel that is currently at DBMG for conversion to the MWS platform.

The 24" barrel is still limited to a rifle length gas system, which means ~4" more barrel for the gas to be under pressure to the carrier.

Doubling such timing is probably not optimal and why LMT isn't putting their name on any. I would be sure to use an adjustable gas block with such a set up.

Finally shot mine for the first time today. It is a very fun rifle to shoot esp. with the BABC. The BABC lives up to the hype for certain. It reduced felt recoil and it felt like I was shooting a .223 ( or less). All I can say is get one. I would love to feel one on a .223. I got to hand it to Larue on his OBR mount. I swapped the S&B scope on some other rifles today and when i went back to the LMT is held perfect zero. Does not seem to mark up the LMT rail either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally shot mine for the first time today. It is a very fun rifle to shoot esp. with the BABC. The BABC lives up to the hype for certain. It reduced felt recoil better than the Tigershark and it felt like I was shooting a .223 ( or less). All I can say is get one. I would love to feel one on a .223. I got to hand it to Larue on his OBR mount. I swapped the S&B scope on some other rifles today and when i went back to the LMT is held perfect zero. Does not seem to mark up the LMT rail either.

</div></div>

So nice!

Yes, the LaRue QD mounts really DO hold zero. I have been using one for weeks now, swapping between my LMT and my TRG. Perfect return to zero every time.

Jim G

Great looking gun and thanks for the info on the BABC. Does it sound louder to you? which suppressor is that and how does it run? The suppressor fits right over the BABC?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking gun and thanks for the info on the BABC. Does it sound louder to you? which suppressor is that and how does it run? The suppressor fits right over the BABC? </div></div>

This is my tigershark. It is not a QD suppressor so the BABC has to come off.

I did not notice any increase in noise or concussion when using the BABC. Cant say enough good about it.

Cool Thanks for the info brother and thats a great looking weapon you got there.

Which Schmidt and Bender scope is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool Thanks for the info brother and thats a great looking weapon you got there.

Which Schmidt and Bender scope is that? </div></div>

5-25x56 PMII.... Its for my bolt rifle, but awaiting a spuhr from the SH group buy to come in.