• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Thanks for the info guys! Anyone running a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x on theirs?

I ran a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 with the CMR-W 7.62 reticle on mine for a while but with my aging eyes it wasn't enough magnification for me. The small center dot was just to small for me to use with my eyesight.

Is anyone using LaRue Scope Mounts on their MWS/LM8? I'm debating on whether to get the LT104 or the LT111.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to have some accuracy issues with my gun. I've contact LMT, so let's see what they come back with...

Is anyone using LaRue Scope Mounts on their MWS/LM8? I'm debating on whether to get the LT104 or the LT111.

I'm using the LT719 on mine, with an SWFA SS 3-9x42. Rock solid, no issues.

edit: Actually forgot I sold the LT719 ultra-low rings and replaced them with an LT158 SPR-S mount.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I actually went with the LT112 so that I could get an extra 20MOA with the MWS. Particularly so that if I use a different caliber like .260 to get some extra range. Only problem is I haven't heard anything from LT about shipping on my mount. I was hoping that I would get it at the same time that my scope comes in (S&B PMII 3-20x50 H59). I'm itching to get my combo out on the range.

Thanks guys. I actually went with the LT112 so that I could get an extra 20MOA with the MWS. Particularly so that if I use a different caliber like .260 to get some extra range. Only problem is I haven't heard anything from LT about shipping on my mount. I was hoping that I would get it at the same time that my scope comes in (S&B PMII 3-20x50 H59). I'm itching to get my combo out on the range.

Have you purchased the .260/6.5 barrel yet?

Not yet. I have to replenish my funds after spending all the money on the scope/mount combo. I'm try to keep an eye out for a used one since I have some money saved up, but I believe the wait time for a new one from LMT is quite a wait anyway. I'd really like to pickup a stainless steel barrel for the MWS to really see what kind of accuracy I can wring out of it. My personal goal is to have the rifle shoot 3/4 MOA with factory match ammo. While this might be easily obtainable to some people, I believe it's a realistic goal of obtaining with this rifle. I think after I tune the Geiselle DMR trigger to my liking and some time with a stainless barrel to see what factory match ammo will give me REPEATABLE accuracy, I'll be happy with it.

Do you have any other barrels thebelly? What's your setup on your rifle and future plans?

Not yet. I have to replenish my funds after spending all the money on the scope/mount combo. I'm try to keep an eye out for a used one since I have some money saved up, but I believe the wait time for a new one from LMT is quite a wait anyway. I'd really like to pickup a stainless steel barrel for the MWS to really see what kind of accuracy I can wring out of it. My personal goal is to have the rifle shoot 3/4 MOA with factory match ammo. While this might be easily obtainable to some people, I believe it's a realistic goal of obtaining with this rifle. I think after I tune the Geiselle DMR trigger to my liking and some time with a stainless barrel to see what factory match ammo will give me REPEATABLE accuracy, I'll be happy with it.

Do you have any other barrels thebelly? What's your setup on your rifle and future plans?

I have the 20" .260 stainless barrel, along with my original .308 16" CL.

The .260 is pretty accurate, but I'm trying to get more out of it....

It's what's left over from a piece of Velcro when the adhesive separated from the Velcro. Gas guns can be rough on brass, especially with mild loads. The Velcro helps to keep the brass dents to a minimum.

It's what's left over from a piece of Velcro when the adhesive separated from the Velcro. Gas guns can be rough on brass, especially with mild loads. The Velcro helps to keep the brass dents to a minimum.

Did not know. Good advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SPECTACULAR RIFLE LVdubbin!!! I am getting one soon, and am really excited. BTW, my mom was born and raised in Henderson, NV :)

I was wondering what scope mount you are using as well as the stock / monopod setup and how to you like it vs. the SOPMOD stock it comes with? Have you tried a PRS stock?
Thank you for any advice and opinions, in advance!

(Also, thanks for the velcro idea. My brother reloads for me and is always complaining how my rifles "mess up" the brass.)

Brian

The mount is the M-10 QD-L mount from American Rifle Company. It's an awesome mount and is also a zero marring scope mount. It also looks like it was made for the ATACR lol. As far as the stock setup is concerned I used to have a PRS stock and found that with the PRS Extended buttpad that I never used any of the adjustable features of the stock. So I sold it in favor of the MOE rifle stock and I came out money ahead and had additional on board storage which I use for a bore snake and some gun oil. The MOE rifle stock also has a place to mount a monopod so I didn't lose that feature.

I love Henderson and wouldn't leave unless I scored a large plot of land somewhere a little north of here...

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsadryheat
The mount is the M-10 QD-L mount from American Rifle Company. It's an awesome mount and is also a zero marring scope mount. It also looks like it was made for the ATACR lol. As far as the stock setup is concerned I used to have a PRS stock and found that with the PRS Extended buttpad that I never used any of the adjustable features of the stock. So I sold it in favor of the MOE rifle stock and I came out money ahead and had additional on board storage which I use for a bore snake and some gun oil. The MOE rifle stock also has a place to mount a monopod so I didn't lose that feature.

I love Henderson and wouldn't leave unless I scored a large plot of land somewhere a little north of here...

I assume you are running a rifle extension?

My bad, yes I'm running a rifle length buffer system as the MWS is known to be overgassed. The rifle length buffer system really helps smooth everything out. I also added a Slash XH Heavy buffer to the mix. This is also in preparation for a Specwar 7.62 suppressor that I should have in a couple months.

I assume this buffer wear signifies that my gun is running a little over gassed? Less than 1000 rounds through her.

My bad, yes I'm running a rifle length buffer system as the MWS is known to be overgassed. The rifle length buffer system really helps smooth everything out. I also added a Slash XH Heavy buffer to the mix. This is also in preparation for a Specwar 7.62 suppressor that I should have in a couple months.

Not necessarily, but I would definitely contact Clint from Slash buffers and see what he has in mind for you. Definitely worth a try. I always get compliments on how soft my rifle shoots.

I assume this buffer wear signifies that my gun is running a little over gassed? Less than 1000 rounds through her.

The buffer on my 16" has that exact same ring wear. The rifle runs like a raped ape, and the recoil impulse doesn't bother me, so it's left alone.

The back edge of the carrier that contacts the buffer face isn't exactly smooth, and the edges of the chamfered ring are not rounded off. Changing anything within the buffer system won't stop that kind of wear, as the only thing that's going to change the force of the carrier impact is either the gas system length or cartridge load.

Last edited:
My buffer has the same wear on it as well. I have an 16 inch chrome lined barrel and use AAC 762-SDN suppressor 90% of the time. I have about 3,000 rounds through my rifle and 2,400 of them have been suppressed. I'm still looking into getting the orange buffer spring from Clint to calm the impulse. Without the can I am able to hit 6 inch steel targets at 300 yards with ease. With the can I only have to go 1 to 1 1/2 moa up on my reticle to hit same targets due to temps and grain differences. I will try to rig up a camera to show this next time I shoot. This rifle is amazing and a very good choice in my mind as a modern battle rifle. Next toy is to get an 1-6 scope to replace my 4-16. Happy shooting guys and stay safe.

I finally got my LMT MWS 308 to shoot. I have the first gen model; I swapped the original chrome lined barrel for a 18" stainless which helped. I also added a SureFire muzzle brake and a Geiseel comp trigger. My groups tightened up when I changed the trigger spring and reduced trigger pull to 2lbs. As many have said, an ar is different than shooting a bolt gun and I'm still working on my consistency. I would not recommend this gun to a potential buyer though. It is too heavy to shoot off hand and from what I hear a larue will still out preform it after adding all the extras to get the LMT to shoot with the larue being lighter.

Now it's time to start walking this pig out and build my dope card.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: Mdp777
I just purchased a US Optics MR-10 1.8x10-37 to put on my LMT. Any feedback on scope mounts, I would prefer a Quick detach. Also any other info on the optic would be great!. thanks in advance

I have a US Optics SN-3 3.8-22x on my LMT MWSE and love it. At 100yds. I'm aiming at grains in the target's paper. Seriously, the combo of my LMT and the US Optics is sensational for long range work.

I put my 18" SS barrel on my lmt and love it, I'm kinda wondering if I should keep the 16CL barrel or sell it? It's brand new. What do they usually sell for new?

Could it be from the rings or are you talking about the gun?

I torqued everything down to the exact specs per LMT guidance. The gun is shooting about 1.5MOA (@102 yds). When I called, they said that their .260 Rem barrel isn't a match grade, therefore it is within their acceptable accuracy standard.

I asked (via telephone) the simple question: What (in their estimation) is the current use/application of the .260 Remington cartridge? Their response was that they didn't know. They didn't spend a lot of time creating their .260 Remington barrels as match grade, so they don't expect them to be match grade barrels.

I'm more than a bit upset about this.

I have the 20" .260 stainless barrel, along with my original .308 16" CL.

The .260 is pretty accurate, but I'm trying to get more out of it....

yhuhuqe5.jpg

I bought an old Book of the AR-15 and from their testing, the MWS best groups came out of the stainless steel barrel in .308. All the other barrels they tested were either 1.5 MOA and the worst being .338 Federal at 2.2 MOA.

yhuhuqe5.jpg

I bought an old Book of the AR-15 and from their testing, the MWS best groups came out of the stainless steel barrel in .308. All the other barrels they tested were either 1.5 MOA and the worst being .338 Federal at 2.2 MOA.

Completely agree. LMT has put a lot of time and effort into their 308 barrels, especially their SS offerings. Easily, they are match grade.

My experience is along the lines with what the magazine says. However, it didn't start with such horrible accuracy, and that's where I'm having a hard time resolving this whole thing: it shot .8" from the get go, then it has gone down hill from there. I'm just frustrated and venting a bit. It's still fun to shoot it, but I hate having a 'box of chocolates' gun.

However, it didn't start with such horrible accuracy, and that's where I'm having a hard time resolving this whole thing: it shot .8" from the get go, then it has gone down hill from there.

I have the same issue with my 260 barrel and I have yet to resolve it. I worked up a load that shot just over .5" at 100yds. After I verified it a couple of times after the initial workup, I decided to run a test of 6 five shot groups back to back on one target. The average for those 6 groups was just under .85", which was the worst it had shot that load since the initial workup and subsequent verification groups. That was nearly a year ago and I have not shot the 260 barrel on my MWS since, just have too many irons in the fire. I plan on revisiting it though and figuring out what caused this.

Please report what your experiences are if/when you get it resolved and I will do the same.

I have the same issue with my 260 barrel and I have yet to resolve it. I worked up a load that shot just over .5" at 100yds. After I verified it a couple of times after the initial workup, I decided to run a test of 6 five shot groups back to back on one target. The average for those 6 groups was just under .85", which was the worst it had shot that load since the initial workup and subsequent verification groups. That was nearly a year ago and I have not shot the 260 barrel on my MWS since, just have too many irons in the fire. I plan on revisiting it though and figuring out what caused this.

Please report what your experiences are if/when you get it resolved and I will do the same.

I did a test and sent my findings to LMT engineers. Sometimes it's very difficult to hear other folks point of view. However, I did remove as many variables as I could think of. I came up with some recommendations:

1. Switch from a 1/9 twist to a 1/8 twist. Their test ammo is a 139 gr Scenar, and the faster twist is really recommended (almost required).

2. Reduce the excess jump into the lands. I was loading 0.030" from the lands, and STILL had a pretty large amount of jump. LMT KNOWS that the max OAL of the loaded round is 2.810" (based on the use of the pmag), but I was single feeding some pretty long OAL loads. The closer I got to the lands, the better the groups. I was able to get the groups back into sub-MOA range, but just barely.

Has anyone seen any accuracy difference between the 18" and 20" .308 barrels? Since LMT seems to have both instock (according to their website), I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying one. Want to see which route to go. If there's added benefit in the accuracy department, I'll go with that one. Not too worried about the velocity difference; I'm willing to trade velocity for decreasing the barrel size to 18".

Just picked my LMT LM8 MWS up from the gun shop today. I've been wanting to get a large frame AR and was debating between building one, buying a Less expensive model and upgrading parts on it, or spending the coin and getting what I wanted. Unfortunantly the KAC ECC I really wanted was out of my price range so I got the next closest thing. I can deal with eating Ramen to get the toys I want, but I won't make my wife and kids do so.

My local gun shop was able to order me the 16" Chrome Lined Slick side with the Tan furniture, the 18" SS barrel bumped it out of my price range so I will add it later when funds allow. Now I just need to decide on which optic and mount I want to get when the funds allow. I may throw on one of my TA-31F ACOG's to hold me over until I have the spending money. It's a bit heavy but not as bad as I thought considering I ordered it with out ever holding one before. Maybe I can scare up some ammo this weekend and run a few rounds through it just to see how she shoots with the Iron Sights.

LMT LM8.jpgLMT LM8 2.jpg

Just picked my LMT LM8 MWS up from the gun shop today. I've been wanting to get a large frame AR and was debating between building one, buying a Less expensive model and upgrading parts on it, or spending the coin and getting what I wanted. Unfortunantly the KAC ECC I really wanted was out of my price range so I got the next closest thing. I can deal with eating Ramen to get the toys I want, but I won't make my wife and kids do so.

My local gun shop was able to order me the 16" Chrome Lined Slick side with the Tan furniture, the 18" SS barrel bumped it out of my price range so I will add it later when funds allow. Now I just need to decide on which optic and mount I want to get when the funds allow. I may throw on one of my TA-31F ACOG's to hold me over until I have the spending money. It's a bit heavy but not as bad as I thought considering I ordered it with out ever holding one before. Maybe I can scare up some ammo this weekend and run a few rounds through it just to see how she shoots with the Iron Sights.

View attachment 39281View attachment 39282

Nice rifle. I bet you find that CL barrel shoots just fine. Use the money instead on a family dinner and ammo in that order. The trigger in the gun aint bad but Id get a trigger before a barrel.

Mine does NOT like the 142 SMK.

It pretty much loves the 123 Scenars, which I'm fine with as they are actually attainable.

I am planing on running with the 16" CL barrel for the time being. I've already swapped out the SPOMOD stock for a Magpul ACS to work better when using a rear bag. The only other things I may change like you say are a better Trigger. I have a Geiselle SSA-E in my 6.8 SPC I was using as my precision gun, and that rifle may end up with the LMT 2 Stage. I may also add a Muzzle Break on the end but I'm sure of which one I want at this time. Really thinking of the Surfire as I have a comprable one on one of my 5.56 guns and I'm really happy with the performance. Would love to add a Supressor, but living in Illinois that will probably never happen. Right now it's just screaming for a Mark 8 CQBSS or a 3-18 Mark 6. I just need to decide which one I want to run.

Ok guys Im a noobie to the LMT's... Was just on Rainier Arms Drooling over the LMT's there and I noticed that there was a MWS model and a Slick Side model?? I cant figure out what the difference is?? Can somebody please make me feel stupid! Thanks!

Ok guys Im a noobie to the LMT's... Was just on Rainier Arms Drooling over the LMT's there and I noticed that there was a MWS model and a Slick Side model?? I cant figure out what the difference is?? Can somebody please make me feel stupid! Thanks!

Just as the name says "slick side". They basically shaved the rails off.

It weighs a little less than the original.

Looks like LMT has released their DMR stock for the 308. Has anyone bought or tried one yet? It says it's instock on their website. Debating if I should go that route or with the PRS

I'd go with the DMR if I were to do it again. With the PRS, you need to change out the buffer tube, buffer and spring to the dedicated "rifle" parts (slash's for me.) The DMR simply slides on the existing buffer tube, and a huge upside for me, it has qd's built in.

Last edited:
I'd go with the DMR if I were to do it again. With the PRS, you need to change out the buffer tube, buffer and spring to the dedicated "rifle" parts (slash's for me.) The DMR simply slides on the existing buffer tube, and a huge upside for me, it has qd's built in.

Yep, hve to totally agree. I am the owner of a PRS bought prior to the DMR.

One question I ave woul be concerning its acceptance in ban states. I wonder what the situation is with the DMR. I livein a ban state and I know my CQB came with a collapsible that was disabled by using a screw to pin it in place so I guess the DMR meets all compliance issues.

I waiting until the DMR stock comes out in LMT FDE. I would also like to see video or pic heavy review before purchasing. I think this stock may counter balance the rifle a little better.