• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

I do love my MWS! I can't wait to put the 18" SS barrel on it. I just wanted people to know there is very little backlog on the 18" SS barrel.

Found something on my mws today that others may have trouble with. I noticed that with the bolt locked open, and no mag, that the bolt wouldn't always release. I had a few stovepipes as well which I attributed to a dirty chamber at first. The bolt catch wasn't spring loaded for the whole range of travel like it should be. I removed the screw/pin and catch and found that the catch had dinged up the plunger bore enough that it was hanging and wouldn't come out. I used my pocketknife to peel enough of the peened over aluminum out for the plunger to come out and travel like it should. I noticed a few dings in the top of the catch and on the bottom 2 bolt lugs. I haven't fired it again but I'm thinking this was my main problem.

I have not had any stoppages or malfunctions but I did notice the same thing on my rifle. When I was shooting I could hear a slight "jingle" and upon closer inspection I noticed there was no spring tension on my bolt catch. Upon disassembly of the bolt catch, I too noticed the lower edge of the bolt catch spring/plunger bore was penned over preventing the plunger from contacting the bolt catch. I was able to pick the penned material out and it appears to function as it should now.

I was pleasantly surprised what showed up in the mail today. I ordered a 6.5 CM barrel a couple weeks ago from LMT and confirmed it would be a 1:9 twist. I settled on running 120's and 123's (and still might to get velocities I want).

I opened the box today and low and behold 1:8.

I thought I would share as this seemed like great news for those on the fence wanting to run heavy pills without the twist to do so. I am not sure if the .260 barrels are still 1:9 twist.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Mdp777
After putting over a hundred plus rounds of my custom 168 SMK hand loads I finally shot 2 decent 5 shot 100 yard groups out of my 16" CL LMT MWS. 1 was just at 1 moa the other 0.68 moa. The best it had done before was 1.2 moa. I was beginning to think it was never going to be a shooter. Now if I just can get some consistent similar groups out of it.

After putting over a hundred plus rounds of my custom 168 SMK hand loads I finally shot 2 decent 5 shot 100 yard groups out of my 16" CL LMT MWS. 1 was just at 1 moa the other 0.68 moa. The best it had done before was 1.2 moa. I was beginning to think it was never going to be a shooter. Now if I just can get some consistent similar groups out of it.

Nice shooting. It is always encouraging to hear that the CL barrels are capable of such accuracy.

Nice shooting. It is always encouraging to hear that the CL barrels are capable of such accuracy.

Thanks but I am not celebrating yet until I can get consistent 1 moa or better groups out of it. Until yesterday I have been disappointed in the MWS's accuracy.

Thanks but I am not celebrating yet until I can get consistent 1 moa or better groups out of it. Until yesterday I have been disappointed in the MWS's accuracy.

I feel you. It's disappointing when ever you try to work up a load and the gun does not group like you expect. My 16 inch CL barrel has been very consistent and seems to prefer the 175 grain SMK. I've had excellent results with 43.9-44.3gr. Varget.

I feel you. It's disappointing when ever you try to work up a load and the gun does not group like you expect. My 16 inch CL barrel has been very consistent and seems to prefer the 175 grain SMK. I've had excellent results with 43.9-44.3gr. Varget.

Thanks for the heads up. If it doesn't yield consistent groups I guess i'll have try Varget and 175 SMK's. My POF P-308 constantly shoots 0.7 moa groups sometimes better with 168 SMK's. I can't blame the trigger on the LMT as I put a Geissele SSA in it.

Last edited:
I find my 16 chrome lined loves the 175's like others. Best I have shot is a .78 Moa 5 shot group at 200 yards with 175gr hpbt noslers with 39.1 gr of benchmark.

Here's mine in its current state. I've had it for about two years, during which time I have run it (with 16" chrome and an EOTech) in a 3-gun, brought it to a few long range classes, and shot some--for me--very good groups. It seems to do well with my 175 SMK reloads. Trigger, stock and buffer weight round out the upgrades. While I wish it were lighter, it does a whole lot quite well...

Sup MWS.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdp777
Picking up my new 18"SS LMT tomorrow to go with my 20"SS rifle, was looking for a 18" CL but guess they're only available to the military, now I just need $2K for a new Nightforce and Sphur mount,

Well I can tell you for a fact two things will surely cause the LMT not to shoot.

1.) Barrel not seated and torqued correctly.
2.) A clean barrel.

1a) Take the barrel off, clean the end, clean the hole, wipe it dry, relube it and reinstall the barrel with the gun pointing straight up.
2a) Let the barrel get dirty, really dirty. I have not cleaned mine in over 400 rds and it shoots 5/8ths of an inch all day long.

I made the mistake of cleaning the barrel and the groups opened way up (like 3 inches).

Reactions: aku
Well I can tell you for a fact two things will surely cause the LMT not to shoot.

1.) Barrel not seated and torqued correctly.
2.) A clean barrel.

1a) Take the barrel off, clean the end, clean the hole, wipe it dry, relube it and reinstall the barrel with the gun pointing straight up.
2a) Let the barrel get dirty, really dirty. I have not cleaned mine in over 400 rds and it shoots 5/8ths of an inch all day long.

I made the mistake of cleaning the barrel and the groups opened way up (like 3 inches).

i started installing the barrel with the gun pointing straight up but i was not sure if i was supposed to lube the barrel extension/clamping ring area. i just re-installed my barrel last night and i know that the extension area is bone dry. Is this not correct? I remember a thread where people were saying NEVER to lube the torque bolts, so i just figured maybe i should leave the clamping surface dry as well.

i started installing the barrel with the gun pointing straight up but i was not sure if i was supposed to lube the barrel extension/clamping ring area. i just re-installed my barrel last night and i know that the extension area is bone dry. Is this not correct? I remember a thread where people were saying NEVER to lube the torque bolts, so i just figured maybe i should leave the clamping surface dry as well.

I dont know if Im doing it right or not but I clamp with clean, dry bolts and the barrel extension is lightly coated with some TW-25B grease.

I just switched out the stock LMT 2-stage FCG for a Geissele. Time for a trip to the range!

What velocities are you guys getting out of your 16" CL barrels shooting 175 smk's? Either handloads or factory stuff. Thinking about picking one up and throwing a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 with the CMR-W 7.62 reticle on it. Anyone running this combo?

168 SMK with 43.7 RL-15 in LC brass and CCI #34 primers
right around 2490, average of 10 shots

168 AMAX with 43.1 avg 2510

175SMK with 43.1 RL15 avg is 2490 too.

hope that helps

Thanks for the info guys! Anyone running a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x on theirs?

Lmt .308 mws

Hey guys; I need some help choosing a compensator. Right now, I'm down to the Surefire, the PWS FCS or the PWS PRC. Has anyone tried both on their MWS? Or are the differences negligible? I've also read some people have had issues mounting their Surefire muzzle brakes on their LMT barrels. Is this an issue with all LMT barrels or early production barrels? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here are some MV I measured on my 16" CL...

FGMM 175 @ 2438

44gr H-Varg, Lapua or Hornady Brass, 175 SMK @ 2422

Regarding Surefire's comp on an LMT barrel, I haven't had any problems. My 20" SS is almost 2 years old, so I don't think that would be considered "early production."

Hey guys; I need some help choosing a compensator. Right now, I'm down to the Surefire, the PWS FCS or the PWS PRC. Has anyone tried both on their MWS? Or are the differences negligible? I've also read some people have had issues mounting their Surefire muzzle brakes on their LMT barrels. Is this an issue with all LMT barrels or early production barrels? Thanks!

I think the issue with the brake concerned the older long version Surefire MBKs.

Im not certain but from the look of it the older brake has a "skirt" that has to go over the barrel to some point before the threads engage. The fat LMT barrels wouldnt fit inside the skirt and had to be turned down to fit.

I have the newer 7.62 MBK. I dont think its the SOCCOM model. Mine fits fine. Guess it works fine. Only changed from the FH because I live in a ban state.

I've had all three of those on my mws.
The surefire is the most effective by far.

Thanks Gents! I will definitely be getting the Surefire from your feedback!

Another question for you guys;

I'm want to do a stainless steel barrel but I'm curious to know which one of these would provide better accuracy utilizing FGMM 175gr.

Option 1:

Rainer Arms 20" UltraMatch Barrel; 1:10 Twist rate, Shilen Blank, Rifle Length gas system, ect. (https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2239) - $434.50
MWS Conversion (MWS conversion) - $170

Option 2:

LMT MWS .308 Stainless Steel barrel

It would be much easier just buying the barrel directly from LMT, but I'm wondering if the barrels made by LMT are the same or better than the Rainer Arms barrels. I have an UltraMatch barrel on my SPR inspired build and I love the 1/2 MOA accuracy out of it. Furthest I'd be shooting is 1000 yards (which I usually only get to make 2-3 trips to take it out to really stretch it's legs per year). The usual range is about 400-500 yards.

Thanks!

For those running the Bushnell ERS/HDMR/DMR, what are you using for lens covers? I am running a badger ordnance 20 moa unimount and the gap between my objective bell and rail is rather slim.

thanks

Another question for you guys;

I'm want to do a stainless steel barrel but I'm curious to know which one of these would provide better accuracy utilizing FGMM 175gr.

Option 1:

Rainer Arms 20" UltraMatch Barrel; 1:10 Twist rate, Shilen Blank, Rifle Length gas system, ect. (https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2239) - $434.50
MWS Conversion (MWS conversion) - $170

Option 2:

LMT MWS .308 Stainless Steel barrel

It would be much easier just buying the barrel directly from LMT, but I'm wondering if the barrels made by LMT are the same or better than the Rainer Arms barrels. I have an UltraMatch barrel on my SPR inspired build and I love the 1/2 MOA accuracy out of it. Furthest I'd be shooting is 1000 yards (which I usually only get to make 2-3 trips to take it out to really stretch it's legs per year). The usual range is about 400-500 yards.

Thanks!

The stainless LMT barrels supposedly are Rock barrels according to a couple guys on this thread that asked LMT. You get a press fitted gas block and tube(not included in your price). I have shot the 20 stainless with 175 fgmm and it was very accurate. Lmt is accepting orders again for 18 and 20 inch barrels for 614 dollars it's a no brainier. Secondly the site you quoted for the MWS conversion is getting the work done by DBMG. A couple guys have had issues contacting them before asking for work to be done. I am not saying they aren't legit but customer service would be a issue for me. The last part no extra shipping cost and the barrel drops in your MWS and you go to the range. Plus you get LMT customer service which I have used twice. Once for a coating issue and the other time was a CL barrel issue. Both times LMT fixed it. If you have a issue with your build a barrel who fixes it Rainer, Shilen or dbmg( or gun parts). My guess LMT won't help you with that. Your best bet is to call LMT and see what they have in stock. Just my opinion.

Thanks Roady9999. According to Rainer they do supply the gas block with a rifle length gas tube with their 20" UltraMatch barrels. So that is covered under the cost. I was not aware of any customer service issues with DBMG and I think I will definitely have to look into this. Just trying to squeeze every last inch out of the barrel but I also wasn't thinking about the excellent customer service that LMT provides. Thanks for your input. I'll look into that customer service issue. Thanks for the feedback again roady9999. Anyone else have any opinions or has anyone else gone the Rainer Arms route?

Thanks Roady9999. According to Rainer they do supply the gas block with a rifle length gas tube with their 20" UltraMatch barrels. So that is covered under the cost. I was not aware of any customer service issues with DBMG and I think I will definitely have to look into this. Just trying to squeeze every last inch out of the barrel but I also wasn't thinking about the excellent customer service that LMT provides. Thanks for your input. I'll look into that customer service issue. Thanks for the feedback again roady9999. Anyone else have any opinions or has anyone else gone the Rainer Arms route?

I think with DBMG it's more of a one person operation. I believe this person doesn't like answering the phone or email. However they have sent out at least one conversion for a member here and he has been thrilled with the results. I am reading on another forum Nefarious Arms by Marvin Pitts it doing conversions on the regular. He does eventually get back to his customers. Last person I saw that got 5.45 barrels done took 3 months. So the wait isn't that short. I really wish LMT would sell just the barrel extension as that is the proprietary part then any barrel could be used.

Neither my 20" or 18" lmt ss barrels particularly like 175 smk's. Hornady Amax, in 168 and 178 respectively, are what they preferred. 175 fgmm shot okay, 1 moa roughly, but not outstanding like the Amax.

That's interesting ntm. I although I have a 16" CL barrel. I bought a decent amount of 168 and 175 FGMM and a small lot of 168 Black Hills BTHP's. I'll have to pick up some Hornady Amax to see how they shoot out of the stock barrel

Finally got one of these. They were never available for reasonable prices when I could swing it until now. Picked it up from another member.

These look terrible after all of the pictures I've seen of Trident's over the past few years but had to quickly snap a few.

520331A8-34A8-4297-ABA4-039F08B450E6_zpsi3oxa3i1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5944D9F0-7044-4BAB-8DD3-414721BC5E6D_zpswip8tr2r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

so... knowing that the torque wrench it comes with is less than stellar, what torque wrench are you all using for the barrel changes?

A while back I read on here that Boris from Borka had plans for a 140 inch pounds preset wrench. I'm going to look into it myself

redirt78.... it warms the cockles of my heart to see you pick up a MWS :)

You're a real deal shooter, and the MWS is real deal rifle......winning combination.

Big congrats brother, and enjoy your new rifle!

A while back I read on here that Boris from Borka had plans for a 140 inch pounds preset wrench. I'm going to look into it myself

Borka has put those plans on hold. The reason is LMT has a prototype for a new wrench similiar to the Borka design. The new design wrench is in 2014 catalog on the LMT website. Borka did give me hope saying if there was a demand from customers then they might make a lmt torque socket/wrench.

For whatever reason the barrels like to be coated with copper before they yield tight groups. Dont copper clean it or you will have to start all over.

What velocities are you guys getting with the 20" SS barrels? Also what altitude did you get the data at?

110 vmax, 47 grains of n135,- 3172fps
168 Amax, 44 grains of varget- 2669 fps
2200 feet of altitude.

Sears sells (did) a pretty nice inch-pound torque wrench for a reasonable price. Mine's a couple of years old, haven't looked lately...