• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

I would cut a barrel down. I also consider the MWS/MRP the ideal platform for pinned and welded muzzle devices.

Reactions: Jsp556
Nice. I've used V1 also-all went great. I got my Sharpshooter at Brownells a few years ago-paid much more $$ than V1. Baller rifle. It will give you time to stock up on FGGM 168/175gr cause it will love that. Also Global Ordnance is selling Australian Outback 168gr it loves. Come to think of it-cheap 1980s Korean ball ammo shoots well in it. It's the least picky about ammo gun I've ever shot.

I got plenty of FGMM stocked up already. I’m going to get a few different projectiles for reloading for next winters shooting season.
kinda wish that the rifle had the 1/10 twist rate so I could play with heavier bullets. But I have lots of experience with the 1/11.25 barrels. This rifle is going to be great regardless.

Reactions: The DFC
I am proud to say that I've joined the LMT family, with an lmt mws that I purchased from a fellow SH member. It was an ordeal to get him the payment, then to wait for the two weeks for the rifle to show up. In between that time I had to go back and forth on the optics, the bipods, stocks, triggers, all the good stuff. I finally was able to make it to the range to range to see what this bad boy can do.
I'm extremely excited to say that the mws has surpassed my expectations! Not only is the recoil smooth, but it eats whatever I put into it and it's sub moa with Hornady black 155gr amax to 168gr fgmm. I'm sure if I took even more time and didn't have new rifle jitters it maybe would've been tighter.
Hands down the best gas rifle purchase I've made, now I've got to clean out my safe of my other 308s as I plan on only running this lmt as an all around rig.

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

• 20200227_120154.jpg
    20200227_120154.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Screenshot_20200227-121500.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-121500.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Screenshot_20200227-121453.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227-121453.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 229
My LMT MWS .308 Update:

I purchased my LMT MWS from LMT directly when they had them on sale for $1900. I've had it now for a number of months and have run a fairly wide variety of ammo through it, shooting from the bench, from a bipod. I got a 20" SS barrel for it, the DMR stock, a Geissele SSA-E trigger and put a full sized Fat Bastard Brake on it. I got rid of my Harris and went with an Accu-TAC FC-G2 bipod (huge improvement!). I am using a Nightforce NX82.5-20.

I've been focusing on my fundamentals very carefully, really learning to work the trigger, avoiding feathering the trigger, etc. etc.

Long and short of it is: With even the crappiest 30 year old MIL SPEC stuff from Maylasia, I'm banging 6" steel plates at 400 yards, consistently and having a blast with the steel targets I have access to from 300 to 400 yards, various sizes.

I've tested it with Federal GMM 175 and 165 gr SMKs, several Hornady and Lapua loads and several less expensive mil spec stuff, but ... the very best groups I've been able to get so far are with .... PRIME AMMO 175 SMK. My best five shot group, repeated half a dozen times on a nice day (little/no wind, 70 degrees at 100 yards.. was .37 and .38 MOA.

For me, I find this very satisfying given all considerations and I'm enjoying the challenge of increasing my speed and accuracy against the steel targets at 400 spread out over a 50 yard line of targets various shapes and sizes. The muzzle brake very effectively gets me back on target very quickly and I'm able to get the steel swinging shooting as rapidly as I can.

Here's a pic of my set up.
20200131_121111.jpg
20200131_121117.jpg
20200131_121133.jpg
20200131_121149.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm hard up for an mws lower parts kit and it seems to be the holy grail. Has anyone been able to find these relatively easily?

Semper fi
Horner

Hello everyone,

I'm hard up for an mws lower parts kit and it seems to be the holy grail. Has anyone been able to find these relatively easily?

Semper fi
Horner

I was able to get the last one at Primary Arms this week during the 12% sale. Titan Defense might have them. I would give them a call. I got my firing pin, cam pin, and recoil kit from them, the first two parts not being on the website. They said their website is inaccurate in terms of what they have, so calling them is the best option

TONO for the win! Thank you very much, felt like I was going to have to parts and piece it from multiple sights ?

Semper fi
Horner

Ltong29 I did speak with titan defense and he sold his last parts kit a day or two ago. Figures, but he was pretty mellow and I'll be picking up a buffer tube kit from him ?

Semper fi
Horner

I bought one, but I might buy another seems as though lmt isn't putting them out fast enough! But it seems as though they're still in stock after I purchased mine ?

Semper fi
Horner

So....they also have MLOK MWS uppers and 16" .308 chrome barrels in stock as well, so with the discount code you can get a complete rifle for $2178. That's an awesome dang good deal.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 8.37.48 PM.png

Reactions: Tono
You can get a MARS-H lower from Titan Defense for about a grand.

No BCG or BUIS-if you want LMT that's another half a stack easy. Brownells charges sales tax too-so basically wiping out the 8% discount.

Re. sales tax...depends on where you live. If you can find better prices and better deals, by all means post them up! Good point re. BCG, etc!!!

Like I said, I got my complete rifle from LMT on a sale they were running for $2,000 flat.

I do not know how often LMT runs sales on complete rifles like that.

Not as a good a price as the one Brownells is offering right now, but good to have other sources.

Pretty sure the MARS-H is considered an upgrade to the MWS as it has native ambidextrous bolt and magazine release. FWIW, Titan Defense didn't charge me sales tax on my purchase, so it actually brings the MARS-H pretty close in price to Brownell's complete MWS considering Brownell's collects CA 10% tax

Pretty sure the MARS-H is considered an upgrade to the MWS as it has native ambidextrous bolt and magazine release. FWIW, Titan Defense didn't charge me sales tax on my purchase, so it actually brings the MARS-H pretty close in price to Brownell's complete MWS considering Brownell's collects CA 10% tax

it's the only lower that I know of that has a bolt catch on the right side. I consider it an upgrade for sure-even though I don't care about ambi anything as I learned on an M16A1 and A2. Nice to have though.

It depends on which MWS you are talking about.

Every current LMT MWS model, except for the "Defender" comes with the MARS-H lower.

Consult LMT's website for more details and specs.

it's the only lower that I know of that has a bolt catch on the right side. I consider it an upgrade for sure-even though I don't care about ambi anything as I learned on an M16A1 and A2. Nice to have though.

The current generation of KAC SR-25 and SR-15 rifles also have true ambi bolt and magazine releases as well. The KAC ambi controls look slightly different than the LMT ones, so I don't think they were developed by LMT and adopted by KAC or vice versa

It depends on which MWS you are talking about.

Every current LMT MWS model, except for the "Defender" comes with the MARS-H lower.

Consult LMT's website for more details and specs.

I was specifically referring to the price of the Brownell's complete MWS receiver, which looks like the non-ambi version. The current production L129A1 also has the non-ambi version since that's clone correct

LM308SSR-1600x441.png

Last edited:
Well, regardless.....this thread makes me realize what a killer price I got on my LMT MWS with MARS-H lower from LMT when they had them on sale a while back. Glad I jumped on it while it was available.

The current generation of KAC SR-25 and SR-15 rifles also have true ambi bolt and magazine releases as well. The KAC ambi controls look slightly different than the LMT ones, so I don't think they were developed by LMT and adopted by KAC or vice versa

Bolt catch. KAC does not have a bolt catch on the right side.

Yes that is a bolt release. It is however not a bolt catch. LMT MARS has catch and release bolt on right side-fully ambi.

Gotcha. So if you try to lock the bolt back with the KAC, you can only do so from the left?

My whole point was for about $100 more you can get the ambi lower. I'm right handed but like using my trigger finger to release the bolt after inserting a fresh mag. I was weighing going the brownells route at 10% off and free shipping but elected to go ambi. I picked up a 308 sniper for $2300 last fall and liked that lower.

My whole point was for about $100 more you can get the ambi lower. I'm right handed but like using my trigger finger to release the bolt after inserting a fresh mag. I was weighing going the brownells route at 10% off and free shipping but elected to go ambi. I picked up a 308 sniper for $2300 last fall and liked that lower.

MARS lower is just plain smooth and sexy-Not really a quantifiable metric but I have both-learned the platform on M16A1/A2 so I don't even use ambi features-and really like the MARS.

I love the ambi safety and rarely, if ever, find myself using the ambi bolt release/mag catch. Just what I'm used to after many years of manual of arms on a regular AR lower. But it's a nice feature to have.

I have an ambi safety on my COLT SOCOM (standard issue now in mil spec rifles), and I'm now used to taking safe off with my thumb on my shooting hand, and engaging with my trigger finger of my shooting hand, the second it comes off the trigger.

I find myself using the bolt release on the right side most of the time now especially when shooting with a rear bag and the bolt catch on the right 100% of the time.

Reactions: LMT/556
Hello all,

It's with great sorrow and pain that I ask this question. I recently decided to have my canteen green lmt trigger guard switched out, as it's a rare bird I decided to take it to the gun shop I've frequented for around ten years. Super great people and have never been done wrong (will not mention shop name.) well I got a call yesterday that my canteen green lower was broken, Pics below. Needless to say I'm sick to my stomach, but they have a free brand new mws lower on the way and I keep my canteen green lower as well.
My question is, if I'm able to tig weld this tab back on does anyone here know of a reputable company that would be able to anozide the welded spot after its welded?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated ?

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

• 20200228_162925.jpg
    20200228_162925.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200228_162723.jpg
    20200228_162723.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 276
Hello all,

It's with great sorrow and pain that I ask this question. I recently decided to have my canteen green lmt trigger guard switched out, as it's a rare bird I decided to take it to the gun shop I've frequented for around ten years. Super great people and have never been done wrong (will not mention shop name.) well I got a call yesterday that my canteen green lower was broken, Pics below. Needless to say I'm sick to my stomach, but they have a free brand new mws lower on the way and I keep my canteen green lower as well.
My question is, if I'm able to tig weld this tab back on does anyone here know of a reputable company that would be able to anozide the welded spot after its welded?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated ?

Semper fi
Horner

Holy shit. Amateur hour fuckup. There is absolutely no excuse for that.
And no, it’s not repairable.

ROCKET MAN

Yeah its something I would do myself and chose not to, I'm regretting it pretty hard. Was told it was a new gunsmith and after this, I'm not sure how long hell last after this.

Reactions: Centuriator
ROCKET MAN

Yeah its something I would do myself and chose not to, I'm regretting it pretty hard. Was told it was a new gunsmith and after this, I'm not sure how long hell last after this.

Man that sucks. I think they must be using the term gunsmith loosely, as that's a pretty serious mistake to make on a lower that's essentially irreplaceable.

This is one method of fixing it, and is something you can probably do yourself:

There are similar solutions posted on arfcom and carolinashooters, but the pics are hard to see.

Another option would be to use a grip with an integrated trigger guard like the one from Daniel Defense, or a first gen MIAD kit with the trigger guard front strap (if you can find one on the used market).

Though none of that will really restore the lower to like-new, they are some options that would make it usable.

ETA: this is probably the best solution, if you happen to know a competent machinist:

Daniel defense grip may also work. That is terrible it happened especially to the canteen green lower.

Attachments

• 492B88C5-3535-4542-8617-FEEDC2083EFA.jpeg
    492B88C5-3535-4542-8617-FEEDC2083EFA.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 182
  • C50EAF44-ADFF-4B57-A65F-8415A9A29C3A.jpeg
    C50EAF44-ADFF-4B57-A65F-8415A9A29C3A.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 147
Sorry man....wow....that would have been an enormous test of my patience and self-control if that happened to me. At least they are trying to make it as right as possible with you, but .... geezo-Pete....wow. Hang in there.

Tx_Aggie

That magpul enhanced trigger guard looks like a solid option, I have that tap and I never even thought about this method. Plus I really enjoy the lmt ergo sure grip that comes with the lower.
I all honesty I would much rather have a machinist do the 80% ears trick, but I'd imagine it would cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks again

Semper fi
Horner

Attachments

• 20200302_095626.jpg
    20200302_095626.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Tx_Aggie

That magpul enhanced trigger guard looks like a solid option, I have that tap and I never even thought about this method. Plus I really enjoy the lmt ergo sure grip that comes with the lower.
I all honesty I would much rather have a machinist do the 80% ears trick, but I'd imagine it would cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks again

Semper fi
Horner

No problem, I hope it works out to your liking. That's the option I would try first.

There's no reason you couldn't have the machine work done at some point in the future if you'd either unhappy with the magpul fix or just want something more permanent. .

The DFC I did get in contact with lmt and they basically said there's nothing they can do. Understandable, but the lmt rep I talked to was say I could rock the lower without the trigger guard tab. He also recommended tig welding it, but I've been reading and I've read nothing but negative about welding.

Semper fi
Horner

Reactions: Centuriator
Centuriator

The call from the gunshop was like a call from your prom date telling you she's pregnant.. Just about threw up lol
But yes the owner of the shop has been back and forth with me about the lower and he's going to get it anodized to get it to match the upper as close as possible.

Semper fi
Horner

Tono

Much appreciated for the grip suggestion, they actually had one of those stark grips. Man to tell you the truth, just couldn't dig them. If they didn't have that weird shark fin deal at the top of the grill and it was a thinner profile, I definitely would've bought one.

Semper fi
Horner

Centuriator

The call from the gunshop was like a call from your prom date telling you she's pregnant.. Just about threw up lol
But yes the owner of the shop has been back and forth with me about the lower and he's going to get it anodized to get it to match the upper as close as possible.

Semper fi
Horner

Lmt would replace that for free is my bet. They replaced an upper i got on a trade, that was bent from trying to remove the muzzle with the barrel attached to the upper. They didn't even charge me for shipping. Top notch bunch.

No problem, I hope it works out to your liking. That's the option I would try first.

There's no reason you couldn't have the machine work done at some point in the future if you'd either unhappy with the magpul fix or just want something more permanent. .

I will definitely give the 80% in the future, might as well make it a more permanent fix. The truly unfortunate thing is this hurts the resale value if I ever wanted to sell it and get a new lmt. However this rifle is such a tac driver, I'd have a hard time selling it.

Semper fi
Horner

I'm hoping someone has done the math and the work already, as I don't have the parts in hand to measure on my own: will a pinned and welded Surefire SOCOM 3-prong bring a 13.5 barrel out to 16" overall and will the suppressor clear the handguard? If not, what would I need to cut a longer barrel down to in order to make legal length and also not have mounting difficulties?

I'm hoping someone has done the math and the work already, as I don't have the parts in hand to measure on my own: will a pinned and welded Surefire SOCOM 3-prong bring a 13.5 barrel out to 16" overall and will the suppressor clear the handguard? If not, what would I need to cut a longer barrel down to in order to make legal length and also not have mounting difficulties?

I recently had my 13.5" barrel pinned and welded recently. I wanted to use a Surefire 3-Prong warcomp, but it is about .2" shy and would require a spacer (something I wanted to avoid if possible!). The shortest length with a Surefire 3 Prong and no spacer is going to be about 13.9", but 14.5" seems to be the go to for this situation. If you go the cut/thread route, I highly recommend getting in contact with John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. His turn around time is insane and his quality of work is some of the best that you will find.

Additionally, I have looked into this a fair amount and have found that the muzzle devices that will bring the 13.5" to 16" without a spacer are: the KAC MAMS muzzle break, the KAC 5-Slot QDC flash hider (older version), and the B.E. Meyers 7.62 flash hider. The last two are getting increasingly more difficult to find, though.

HIWG,

Yes unfortunately it was the south American lmt mws, that I purchased from a fellow member on this forum. Great guy to deal with, a great gun that I had for a whole week before the great tragedy.
But man, if they didn't offer a brand new lower for free and no one didn't offer any advice of fixing the problem on this forum I'd be pretty raw. It's life man, it's all what you make of it. ?

Semper fi
Horner

HIWG,

Yes unfortunately it was the south American lmt mws, that I purchased from a fellow member on this forum. Great guy to deal with, a great gun that I had for a whole week before the great tragedy.
But man, if they didn't offer a brand new lower for free and no one didn't offer any advice of fixing the problem on this forum I'd be pretty raw. It's life man, it's all what you make of it. ?

Semper fi
Horner

You sir, are a better man than I.