• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agriebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't chrono it but the book shows 2706 with 46gr. </div></div>

Holy fuck. You sure thats out of a 16"?

And no pressure signs? If so, I would be VERY happy with that. Some people cant even get those velocities in their 24" gas guns without blowing them up.

heres mine (thanks richard for helping me out...)
DSCF1947.jpg

^^^Very cool.

A brake is a great idea. I shot mine in a local match this past weekend and a brake would have helped a LOT since the stages were timed. And that loose bipod sure didnt help...

I have that brake. It helps a bunch. Make sure you get it exactly level or it will torque roll. Also use blue loctite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FKNtake_it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres mine (thanks richard for helping me out...)
DSCF1947.jpg
</div></div>

Can you post a side profile picture with the acog showing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: agriebel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished added my badger ordnance TRAMP mount (tatical rapid adjustable mount point) on my LMT. I pick up the badger rings also but am waiting for the vortex 1-4 scope to come in. I will be shooting today with the PWS FSC30 on for the first time. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the standard A2.
target was a 100yds with 3x acog, 178gr AMAX 45.5gr hodgdon BLC2
DSC06039.JPG

DSC06041.JPG

DSC06042.JPG

lmt_target.jpg

</div></div>

Can someone tell me how to get the castle nut off. I broke two cheap wrenches trying. I guess I will buy a better wrench in the AM.

Either dremel the stakes or you can run a hack saw in between the seam of the back plate and castle nut...most likly will destroy both. On the plus side they are really cheap like 4 bucks.

If its still tight after that you will want to use a hammer and punch. I had to do it after grinding out the stakes. Put the punch tip in the castle knocks and break it free with a few motivated taps.

I ended up drilling the area where it was staked in. Multiple times. Then I had a buddy help me hold the gun while I cranked the AR-15 wrench super hard many many times. It was very hard to get off. Now I have a SLAP plate on it. I love my TAC strap sling.

I first removed the staked area on the castle nut should have about two or three and then afriend and I ended up using a pipe wrench. it worked for me

OK I got the castle nut off with elbow grease and an rg RRA 3 point wrench. I didnt even screw up the castle nut or flange. Thats a first!

657.jpg

I would definately get the PRS magpul stock and a heavy buffer at that can help bring the balance more to the rear. Also depends on what you have hanging off the front of the gun as well.

What version are you guys shooting? On the LMT website, there is a 1:10 rifle with a model number that ends in "E" and a 1:11.25 version that ends in "F" (if I recall). Also, are all the barrels black or are some available in bare stainless. Some of the pics I have seen show bare stainless, but I don't know if those are promo pics or the actual rifle. It looked like all the pics in this post were black barrels.

All guns above have been the "E" model 16" black chrome lined gun. It looks like the stainless 5r is now "In stock" so you might see some of those in a while. The barrels are blackened on the 5R model too. Im not sure the 5R shoots 800 dollars better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What version are you guys shooting? On the LMT website, there is a 1:10 rifle with a model number that ends in "E" and a 1:11.25 version that ends in "F" (if I recall). Also, are all the barrels black or are some available in bare stainless. Some of the pics I have seen show bare stainless, but I don't know if those are promo pics or the actual rifle. It looked like all the pics in this post were black barrels. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All guns above have been the "E" model 16" black chrome lined gun. It looks like the stainless 5r is now "In stock" so you might see some of those in a while. The barrels are blackened on the 5R model too. Im not sure the 5R shoots 800 dollars better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What version are you guys shooting? On the LMT website, there is a 1:10 rifle with a model number that ends in "E" and a 1:11.25 version that ends in "F" (if I recall). Also, are all the barrels black or are some available in bare stainless. Some of the pics I have seen show bare stainless, but I don't know if those are promo pics or the actual rifle. It looked like all the pics in this post were black barrels. </div></div> </div></div>

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use/mount an FA762SS Surefire suppressor on their MWS yet. I had seen one post on here with someone saying the had issues getting the Brake/Adapter to fit, due to barrel contour, I believe. I am looking to get one of these when I get back stateside and want to make sure "Work" kit fits on it. Thanks for you time and hope you can help.

It will not fit without having the barrel turned down.They are.8 and need to be thinned down about.025 under the adapter no big deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AmericanCrusader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anyone has tried to use/mount an FA762SS Surefire suppressor on their MWS yet. I had seen one post on here with someone saying the had issues getting the Brake/Adapter to fit, due to barrel contour, I believe. I am looking to get one of these when I get back stateside and want to make sure "Work" kit fits on it. Thanks for you time and hope you can help. </div></div>

The barrel diameter is too big for the SureFire 762SS without getting it turned down. The 762K can would work though.

Tossed an single baffle OpsInc on mine, grabed a FUG, a Troy flip up front and 1.5 - 8 x 24 Demo Horus Blackbird with an H-58 ret.

Just waiting on Desert Tactical Arms DTSS brake and can to come out and ... think thats it for this.

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

is anyone going to be making 5r barrels for this thing? I've got an ops inc 3rd model 12 suppressor that's just begging for this rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is anyone going to be making 5r barrels for this thing? I've got an ops inc 3rd model 12 suppressor that's just begging for this rifle. </div></div>

Yes. And IIRC (someone correct me if Im wrong) the current chrome lined barrels are 5R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool, are they available in 20" I didn't see anything on LMT's website about 20" bbls being there. </div></div>

You wouldnt want a 20 inch on this thing it would weigh as much as a browning 50 cal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool, are they available in 20" I didn't see anything on LMT's website about 20" bbls being there. </div></div>

You wouldnt want a 20 inch on this thing it would weigh as much as a browning 50 cal.</div></div>

Not sure if the extra 4" will make that much of a difference compared to the 16". A little for sure.. but most of the barrel weight is tied up in the extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cool, are they available in 20" I didn't see anything on LMT's website about 20" bbls being there. </div></div>

IIRC LMT will be releasing barrels in .260 and .243, and I would imagine those would be longer than 18". Im definitely getting a .260 barrel once they come out.

I sprung for one today. I have to say that it seems to be a notch above my MRP in the fit and finish. I ditched my Ergo grip on the MRP right away for a MIAD, but this one on the MWS might have to stay. I don't know why it feels so much nicer on the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sprung for one today. I have to say that it seems to be a notch above my MRP in the fit and finish. I ditched my Ergo grip on the MRP right away for a MIAD, but this one on the MWS might have to stay. I don't know why it feels so much nicer on the gun. </div></div>

There are two type of ergos. Soft rubber and hard plastic I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eh I'm interested in a .308 20" </div></div>

You won't be seeing that anytime soon.LMT dropped the 20" idea proving no accuracy difference and very minimal velocity change from the 18".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eh I'm interested in a .308 20" </div></div>

You COULD have someone remove the bbl extension from the barrel that comes with the MWS, and then put it on a barrel of your choice.

I know GAP is willing to do it but last I checked they arent accepting any new orders.

Just wait for the 260 and 243s to come out. It gives you an excuse to buy more reloading components if you dont load for those calibers yet (like myself)!

Jpach, I don't think it would be so simple as removing a MWS barrel extension. Take a look at some of the pictures on page 4.

What ammunition have you all tried in your MWS? Anyone find anything that is performing well that doesn't cost a fortune?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jpach, I don't think it would be so simple as removing a MWS barrel extension. Take a look at some of the pictures on page 4.

What ammunition have you all tried in your MWS? Anyone find anything that is performing well that doesn't cost a fortune? </div></div>

Perhaps its not that simple, but IIRC I did read that GAP will pretty much make the necessary mods + add the bbl extension to a good bbl/blank.

We shall see!

I just got to the range yesterday with my new LMT MWS. The thing is a laser and just makes me smile. It's holding 1/2-1" very consistently with a variety of loads. I shot a mix of 155 Scenars/175 SMKs with Varget and 4064 using Black Hills Match/Lapua brass. Federal and Black Hills factory ammo was sub-MOA too. It ran very good(even using X2-X3 fired brass from another gun). It induced many giggles.

Anyone else finding that their barrel extension rusts easily?

DSCI0124.JPG

DSCI0125.JPG

Also, has anyone tried suppressing theirs and seeing if the threads are concentric to the bore?

Is that new or did you clean it with some miracle cleaner that removed all oil and residue? I have never seen a rifle that clean. What the heck is the blue stuff? Eezox will keep it from rusting but its nasty stuff and causes cancer so use it outside and do not breathe the fumes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else finding that their barrel extension rusts easily?

Also, has anyone tried suppressing theirs and seeing if the threads are concentric to the bore? </div></div>

Never seen a rifle that clean?

Just been scrubbing it with a tooth brush and breakfree trying to get off the rust. I used a degreaser before I took the pictures. As for the blue, when copper corrodes it becomes a blue-green. Thats just some of the copper on the feed ramps reacting with the cleaning agents. If you have ever cleaned the copper from your bore you should have recognized the blue deposit.

Fired 40 rounds of DAG surplus and 14 rounds of Black Hills. Cleaned the BCG that day, but didn't clean the barrel. Couple of days later found rust on the flash hider, bore, and barrel extension. The flash hider and bore cleaned up easy enough, but the rust in the barrel extension is being a pain in the ass to try and clean off. Now I worry that its just going to rust up worse if I ever use this rifle in inclement conditions.

Maybe the DAG was semi-corrosive? Try the eezox. Also the auto parts store has a spray that turns rust into metal again.

I sent my barrel to ADCO for a full contour last week and awaiting it's return. Has anyone got theirs contoured and has since done some accuracy testing? Photos would be great too.

BTW ADCO just got the Geissele SSA-E back in stock so I added it to my order.

So with the 16" Chrome barell, what kind of longer distance accuracy and velocity are you guys getting? It's great that its shooting so tight at 100, but KY shooter, you said past 500 the 16" isn't doing it? Anyone else, shot these between 500-900 yds?

Have any LMT owners chrono'd some know rounds like 168 FGMM or M118LR? Or hand loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any LMT owners chrono'd some know rounds like 168 FGMM or M118LR? Or hand loads? </div></div>

LC M118LR .82 moa 2471 fps
Pri Partizam 168g Match .89 moa 2410 fps
BVAC 168 g A Max Match .95 moa 2470 fps
FGMM 175g 1.21 moa 2374 fps
Hornady 168 g TAP 1.32 moa 2509 fps
LC M80 delinked 150g 2.66 moa 2587 fps
Aussi 150 g FMJ 1.27 moa 2690 fps
Hintenburger 150g FMJ 1.67 moa 2728 fps
175g SMK 41.9 g RL15 .9 mos 2384 fps

I have shot steel IPSC targets out to 700 yards with M118LR with no problems. I shoot at 4000'elivation. All groups are the average of three five shot groups at 100 yards. Velocity is the average of three rounds at 15' over a 10 year old Chorny.

Just put a A2 stock on mine. Much better in prone than the SOPMOD.
[img
img]

Thanks prairie dog, great info. So going to 700 wasn't an issue for you huh? With those velocities, you probably had a little bit extra drop than with a 24 inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks prairie dog, great info. So going to 700 wasn't an issue for you huh? With those velocities, you probably had a little bit extra drop than with a 24 inch. </div></div>

I would think so. I have a M1A with the same scope. I'll check it out next time I go out. The POF site gives some comparison figures with different barrel lengths.
http://www.pof-usa.net/technical/chronoresults.htm

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]