• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is LMT raising the price on both models, or are those numbers just the MSRP? I've been seeing MWSs around the $2200-2300 range so if the price is rising up to $2800, that's a fairly significant increase. I hope it's just the difference in market price vs MSRP. </div></div>

I beleive Dealer and MSRP prices went up May 1, 2010.

Just got one for $2,224. Booyah.

Last one they had too. Should be in my full posession in a few/couple weeks

Just got this LMT .308 in last Monday...

It's set up with a Comp M4s on an LT mount, Aimpoint 3x twist mount, Surefire M600C in DCC offset mount with SR07 switch, KAC micro front and rear BUIS, and Battlecomp BABC compensator.

For my eyes, the M4s works FAR better with the 3x than the T-1. I've gone with an RDS and magnifier to keep weight off the rifle and give me the flexibility to shoot reasonably quickly at contact distances while retaining a reasonable COM hit capability out to 600 yards with the 3x in place. The word "reasonable" is key here: I have no pretensions that this rifle will be as quick as a Mk18 up close or as precise as an M24 farther out.

Weight as shown is almost exactly 13lb with 20 rounds of Hornady 168gr TAP in the LR20 magazine. The empty weight of the LMT is about 1.5lb heavier than the empty weight of an SR25 EMC (10lbs vs 8.5lbs). I think most of that difference is in the HUGE barrel extension and very beefy quick-change barrel capture mechanism. That having been said, my SR25 EMC with an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x weighs about the same (within a half pound) as the LMT pictured. I guess it's a good thing I'm not using the Elcan on the LMT...

308mws_900.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quick range report</span>

I was able to sneak out to the range to zero my M4s. Shot 60 rounds, a mix of Hornady 168gr Amax and West German DAG military surplus. I lubed with Slip 2000 EWL and used only Magpul LR20 mags. I had one FTF with the DAG. Otherwise, no problems.

The BABC was just amazing. Shooting offhand, I experienced no muzzle jump. None. Recoil was straight back and easy to handle using an aggressive stance. Having owned and shot a large variety of .308 ARs over the years, including my soft-recoiling SR25 EMC, I can say I have never been as fast to get back on target as when shooting with the BABC installed.

Flash was minimal, and the noise was not any worse than when shooting any of my other .308s. You really have to shoot the BABC to understand just how well it works.

308mws_tiltrange_900.jpg

308mws_babcrange_900.jpg

vpmgsc,
Thanks for posting.
Can you make any other comparisons to your EMC (accuracy)?
That looks like the 200-600 micro in the rear which buis up front?

That's a great looking rifle, mine is a work in progress. With each trip to the Range I appreciate it more.

I find the rail panels, while looking tacticool, ad girth and feel like your holding a bowling ball in your hand and I have big hands. I removed mine and installed the magpul latter covers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vpmgsc,
Thanks for posting.
Can you make any other comparisons to your EMC (accuracy)?
That looks like the 200-600 micro in the rear which buis up front?
</div></div>

I haven't really shot for groups with the LMT yet, but I expect it will be accurate enough for me. Recoil feels about the same as on my EMC, but of course the BABC on the LMT simply erases muzzle jump. The extra weight up front is also noticeable, but both rifles will widen your wobble zone quickly shooting offhand.

The front BUIS is also a KAC micro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find the rail panels, while looking tacticool, ad girth and feel like your holding a bowling ball in your hand and I have big hands. I removed mine and installed the magpul latter covers. </div></div>

I don't seem to have this problem with rail covers. To each his own, I guess.

Here's mine. I am so beyond impressed with this gun. It's a damn battleaxe.

LMTMWS.jpg

I have about 900 rounds through it now, and I'm moving it to the pole position on my go-to rifles. No malfs, accurate as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got this LMT .308 in last Monday...

It's set up with a Comp M4s on an LT mount, Aimpoint 3x twist mount, Surefire M600C in DCC offset mount with SR07 switch, KAC micro front and rear BUIS, and Battlecomp BABC compensator.

For my eyes, the M4s works FAR better with the 3x than the T-1. I've gone with an RDS and magnifier to keep weight off the rifle and give me the flexibility to shoot reasonably quickly at contact distances while retaining a reasonable COM hit capability out to 600 yards with the 3x in place. The word "reasonable" is key here: I have no pretensions that this rifle will be as quick as a Mk18 up close or as precise as an M24 farther out.

Weight as shown is almost exactly 13lb with 20 rounds of Hornady 168gr TAP in the LR20 magazine. The empty weight of the LMT is about 1.5lb heavier than the empty weight of an SR25 EMC (10lbs vs 8.5lbs). I think most of that difference is in the HUGE barrel extension and very beefy quick-change barrel capture mechanism. That having been said, my SR25 EMC with an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x weighs about the same (within a half pound) as the LMT pictured. I guess it's a good thing I'm not using the Elcan on the LMT...

308mws_900.jpg

I was able to sneak out to the range to zero my M4s. Shot 60 rounds, a mix of Hornady 168gr Amax and West German DAG military surplus. I lubed with Slip 2000 EWL and used only Magpul LR20 mags. I had one FTF with the DAG. Otherwise, no problems.

The BABC was just amazing. Shooting offhand, I experienced no muzzle jump. None. Recoil was straight back and easy to handle using an aggressive stance. Having owned and shot a large variety of .308 ARs over the years, including my soft-recoiling SR25 EMC, I can say I have never been as fast to get back on target as when shooting with the BABC installed.

Flash was minimal, and the noise was not any worse than when shooting any of my other .308s. You really have to shoot the BABC to understand just how well it works.

308mws_tiltrange_900.jpg

308mws_babcrange_900.jpg
</div></div>

What light and switch is that, and do you actuate it with your thumb over the top of the handguard?

all very nice set ups...

vmpgsc,

curious aboue what muzzle device/brake/hider you have on the EMC for comparison sake? BABC vs _____

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got this LMT .308 in last Monday...

308mws_900.jpg

308mws_tiltrange_900.jpg

308mws_babcrange_900.jpg
</div></div>

What light and switch is that, and do you actuate it with your thumb over the top of the handguard? </div></div>

Surefire M600C Scout Light in DCC offset mount, Surefire SR07 switch. You actuate with your thumb over the top of the handguard. I like how ambi this light/switch combo is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AresSBR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
all very nice set ups...

vmpgsc,

curious aboue what muzzle device/brake/hider you have on the EMC for comparison sake? BABC vs _____ </div></div>

Factory KAC M110 flash hider. The BABC controls muzzle flip much better with just a bit of extra concussive pressure (nothing to write home about).

Thanks vpmgsc. Very nice set up.
If I do one I think I'll dimple the barrel for a little weight reduction.
-T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's mine. I am so beyond impressed with this gun. It's a damn battleaxe.

LMTMWS.jpg

I have about 900 rounds through it now, and I'm moving it to the pole position on my go-to rifles. No malfs, accurate as hell. </div></div>

Nice!

It's a sh!t-ton of fun to shoot, isn't it?

I'm going to try a Trijicon TR24G on mine to see how the green triangle works out for me. The M4s is great, but the 3x makes the dot look like crap due to my astigmatism.

i dont want to hijack this thread, but a couple potentially stupid questions

which mags are you guys using/which are best with these rifles?

i have a leupold mark 4 m3 with 40mm obj., that i can't mount with my badger rings, so which scope mount setup do you recommend?

thanks

and one more:

what swivel stud for mounting bipod?

thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont want to hijack this thread, but a couple potentially stupid questions

which mags are you guys using/which are best with these rifles?

i have a leupold mark 4 m3 with 40mm obj., that i can't mount with my badger rings, so which scope mount setup do you recommend?

and one more:

what swivel stud for mounting bipod?

thanks again.</div></div>

Mag: Magpul LR20. Less than $20 each, reliable, sturdy, true 20-round capacity, and will fit M118LR.

Scope Mount: LaRue LT-158 with the new VFZ rail grabbers - built-in 10MOA slope, and $50 less than the LT-158 with quick detach levers.

Swivel stud: LaRue LT-130 Harris bipod adapter.

With TR24G mounted.

It's 13.5lbs as pictured with 20 rounds in the mag. I wish it were lighter, but it is what it is. This is my first experience with the 1-4x Accupoint, but not my first dance with Trijicon products. The green triangle looks a lot like the red chevron on my TA31RCO-M4, so the sight picture is very familiar. The TR24G also accommodates my astigmatism MUCH better than the Comp M4s (and the M4s + 3x magnifier).

The plan is to zero at 200 yards for 0-300 yard practical accuracy, then dial my DOPE past that out to 600 or so. This will give me something to practice while I wait for the CQBSS or S&B 1.1-8x to be released.
icon_smile_cool.gif

Now to get some range time in with this combination...

308mws_tr24g_900.jpg

Has anyone had ADCO lighten this barrel and would that mess with the accuracy? I have my BABC, Magpul mags, and BCM charging handle. I am now just working on getting the LMT.

Gentlemen/Owners
I am interested in LMT MWS or the POF. I like the weight of the POF but the barrel change feature of the LMT seems worth the added weight. I realize that the rifles that LMT are currently shipping do no not have the barrel the Brits bought and better barrels are coming. I was told by the factory that mid Oct would be the shipping date on a rifle ordered today but I found a used one locally. What accuracy are you getting with the chrome lined barrel? With what ammo? This choice is driving me nuts. Thanks

Best I have gotten so far is near 1 MOA. Can honestly say that I have not shot better than 1 MOA with the current factory configuration.

I have tried some 147, 168 and by far the best shooting have been the 175s.

I really like this rifle and know it has some great potential.

I am planning on a few changes before my next outing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got this LMT .308 in last Monday...

308mws_900.jpg

308mws_tiltrange_900.jpg

308mws_babcrange_900.jpg
</div></div>

OK I will bite. What is a BABC? (a compensator of some flavor)

Pat

Damnit man, now you got me nervous. My LMT is on its way as of today and it should be at my FFL on friday. I hope mine is a shooter.

Hey guys, Im currently 3 days deep into my 10 day weight period for my LMT, but I have my upper in my posession.

I removed the barrel and looked down the chamber and muzzle and have found some horizontal scratches in the grooves visible to the eye. They arent super deep, but I can definitely see them. Other than that, the barrel is pretty damn smooth (unlike my chatter-marked Bushy 24" Varminter [that still shoots great]).

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Have any of you guys noticed any scratches or tooling type marks in your barrels?</span></span> I didnt notice them until I removed it and inspected it in the sun light.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Do you guys think it will shoot fine even with those scratches?</span></span> I have seen rough barrels shoot well, but I just expected this barrel to not have any noticable scratches so it kind of worries me.

Well I finally got all of the pieces and parts put together. Now just have to wait for a S&B 1-8 scope.

SOPMODBipodandPolarizingfilter011-1.jpg

SOPMODBipodandPolarizingfilter010-1.jpg

SOPMODBipodandPolarizingfilter006-1.jpg

Pat

Some groups shot at 100 yds by a friend of mine; the 168's and 175's show lots of promise! Shot w/ Leupold MK4 6X, and he doesn't even shoot as good as me!!
grin.gif

24w4htw.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is killing me while I wait for my pair... </div></div>

I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for someone waiting for A PAIR of MWS's.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I need to change the buffer tube and spring to put an A2 stock on a LMT MWS?</div></div>

Yes. The MWS has a carbine length six position extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I need to change the buffer tube and spring to put an A2 stock on a LMT MWS?</div></div>

Yes. The MWS has a carbine length six position extension. </div></div>

Thanks MidwestPX. I own ARs but never built one. I just looked at your site. Do you carry all the parts I need?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I need to change the buffer tube and spring to put an A2 stock on a LMT MWS?</div></div>

Yes. The MWS has a carbine length six position extension. </div></div>

Thanks MidwestPX. I own ARs but never built one. I just looked at your site. Do you carry all the parts I need?</div></div>

I need to double check something with LMT before I can give you an answer. I'll shoot you a PM early tomorrow.

So what exact loads are we using, guys? I pick up my lower tomorrow and have a shooting clinic thing next weekend, so I need to slap some rounds together and test em within the next few days.

What powder, charge, bullets, etc?

Im thinking 155 scenar and 175 SMK, but not sure of what powder to use. I have IMR 4895, maybe a little 4064 as well. Id like something less temp sensitive.

What would you all suggest?

My MWS loves this load, .5" is normal 1" is me not paying attention.

Win brass
45gr Varget
175gr SMK
CCI#34 primer
COAL 2.7882

Shame this is all going to go away when the economy collapses.

_U6L0285.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont be so glass half empty. You have a good dog and a good gun thats all anybody needs or did you not see Mad Max
wink.gif
</div></div>

I dont have an Dinky Dee canned dog food though.