• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Talked to a tech at LMT. My rifle was built in 2010. I bought it second hand a few years ago but haven't shot it much. Had issues on my first range trip and never got around to diagnosing things. Wife has had cancer twice, her mom passed away, I had neck surgery, then a stent, her brother passed away... It's been quite the shit show. Anyway, in the time since it was built, who knows how it was stored. Did the original owner store it in a damp basement which pitted the barrel? Did I jack it up letting it set for so long? I kept it stored with the rest of my guns that all shoot well but I don't rule myself out as the culprit. There's just too much possibility that the issues arose post production.

You did not do anything wrong, you have a 12 year old rifle with an unknown maintenance history and something is off. My recommendation would be to reach out to LMT and ask for Joe Hajny and let him know your situation and ask them if they would mind taking a look at and give it a once over.

My thoughts are that the accuracy issues probably has something to do with the torque settings being off in the barrel, i would pull the barrel, do a light cleaning, and torque to spec.

Also looks like the buffer tube is off somehow

Last edited:
She's stainless. I've been looking at a Lyman bore cam. I've had the barrel out and saw no signs of misalignment or binding. It was retorqued with a LMT torque limiter, the lil black one.

She's stainless. I've been looking at a Lyman bore cam. I've had the barrel out and saw no signs of misalignment or binding. It was retorqued with a LMT torque limiter, the lil black one.

These little things work great for what they are. Simple, cheap, and easy

Pulled the muzzle device and checked the crown? Device torqued too tight? Brake or a flash hider?

After almost two years, I finally got an LMT MWS built. It is wearing a 16” stainless 5R barrel and the new Vortex Razor HD Gen-III 1x10x24 mounted in a Spuhr. Also have a 20” 7.62 and 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

The SCAR 20S popped up a couple of months ago so, I bought it too.

Went from no AR-10s to two.

tempImageWH9NNE.jpg

tempImagenfW7Gl.jpg

tempImageitREBR.jpg

tempImageq4lZdF.jpg

tempImageyzIlIK.jpg

I have always just ran a wet patch of CLP down the bore before storing a rifle or barrel.

So far so good. No rust.

Reactions: Beardsli
Anyone know when these will be back in stock? Ive been wanting one but cant seem to find an upper let alone a complete rifle anywhere.

So I ordered everything besides the BCG. Should I get the LMT BCG from Sons of Liberty, or is there a better option out there?

If it's the same one that's been posted lately, it's an LMT semi auto that has the Sons of Liberty flag lasered on it.

Reactions: Jardinski
Got out to ring some long range steel with my LMT MWS 16" carbine today. Hitting an IPSC target at 700 yards (8 of 10 times) was not much of a problem even in winds requiring over 2 MILS of hold. Even with the little Vortex 1x10x24 Razor HD-III and the EBR-9 MRAD fixed reticule, this thing has some legs. I have always used a scope with a tactical turret and dialed for holdover. This one took some getting used to but having a scope that goes all the way from a red dot to long range is great!

Of course this scope is not exactly a bench rest tool at 10 power but, the first 10 shots at 100 yards today were all within 1 MOA. 4 were touching in the center. I could not retrieve the target as there were too many PRS competitors practicing for the weekend match.

The loads I was shooting were some old Winchester brass, 168 Berger VLD Hunting bullets, 43.0 grains H4895, and Federal GM210 primers. Average velocity was 2553 fps.

I have a 20" 7.62 and a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that I have not even broke in yet.

IMG_1557.jpeg

EBR-9 MRAD Reticule.jpg

IMG_1547.jpeg

Attachments

• EBR-9 MRAD Reticule.jpg
    EBR-9 MRAD Reticule.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Got out to ring some long range steel with my LMT MWS 16" carbine today. Hitting an IPSC target at 700 yards (8 of 10 times) was not much of a problem even in winds requiring over 2 MILS of hold. Even with the little Vortex 1x10x24 Razor HD-III and the EBR-9 MRAD fixed reticule, this thing has some legs. I have always used a scope with a tactical turret and dialed for holdover. This one took some getting used to but having a scope that goes all the way from a red dot to long range is great!

Of course this scope is not exactly a bench rest tool at 10 power but, the first 10 shots at 100 yards today were all within 1 MOA. 4 were touching in the center. I could not retrieve the target as there were too many PRS competitors practicing for the weekend match.

The loads I was shooting were some old Winchester brass, 168 Berger VLD Hunting bullets, 43.0 grains H4895, and Federal GM210 primers. Average velocity was 2553 fps.

I have a 20" 7.62 and a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that I have not even broke in yet.

Sounds like a great day, thanks for sharing!

Got a similar chance to reach out to longer range steel with my MWS recently. Also a 16" .308, running close to 2500 FPS with 175 gr FGMM. Reliably hitting 2/3 IPSC torso at 600 from virtually any shooting position. Running a vortex also, but a 1-8 Strike Eagle. Plenty glass for the distance, but I would prefer a FFP optic for night CVND shooting. No issues banging up 12-18" steel at 300 with the CNVD on, though.

IMG_6762.jpg

Reactions: aku and Jsp556
Sounds like a great day, thanks for sharing!

Got a similar chance to reach out to longer range steel with my MWS recently. Also a 16" .308, running close to 2500 FPS with 175 gr FGMM. Reliably hitting 2/3 IPSC torso at 600 from virtually any shooting position. Running a vortex also, but a 1-8 Strike Eagle. Plenty glass for the distance, but I would prefer a FFP optic for night CVND shooting. No issues banging up 12-18" steel at 300 with the CNVD on, though.

View attachment 7859158
Nice! What is that bolt gun you have there on the ground? I am running a 6mm Creedmoor from Impact Precision.

Reactions: aku

View attachment 7859027

View attachment 7859046
View attachment 7859048

Very nice setup!

I also found the $500 deal on the LM8 Slick sided upper too good to pass on. Mine also has a 16" SS barrel, but I haven't decided to which optic to go with. The choice is between the Vortex Razor Gen3 1-10x, or the Nightforce ATACR 1-8x. The recent (and irrational) price increase by Vortex has me leaning heavily towards the Nightforce.

Reactions: Woollymonster
I’m waiting for the Eotech Vudu 1-10x to come available. That said, if you don’t need ffp, the strike Eagle 1-8 is plenty out to 700.

View attachment 7859645Just got my LMT MWS today. The upper receiver machining seems grossly off at the back in relation to the lower on the ejection side. I can’t imagine this being a design feature. Is everyone else’s like this? I’m quite agitated at the moment.
That is not right. Mine is smooth and mates perfectly with the lower.

Be prepared to wait for a replacement. I'm at 14 months of waiting for a replacement upper for my complete MWS that I purchased which turned out to be out of spec. I was told 6 months ago that the second an upper was made on the assembly line, I would be receiving it, so it is quite odd that Titan Defense, along with numerous other distributors have been receiving, marketing and selling complete MWS builds. When I called LMT out on this a couple weeks ago, they informed me that the "small handful" of new guns made and sent out were assembled from repurposed existing parts which is why I had not received a replacement upper yet. I have numerous LMT builds, but after waiting 1+ years for a replacement gun that arrived out of spec, while seeing additional parts and completed builds go out for sale, it's safe to say that I'll be turning to other brands once this upper is replaced.

View attachment 7859027

View attachment 7859046
View attachment 7859048

Is that at CCC in Navasota TX?

Very nice setup!

I also found the $500 deal on the LM8 Slick sided upper too good to pass on. Mine also has a 16" SS barrel, but I haven't decided to which optic to go with. The choice is between the Vortex Razor Gen3 1-10x, or the Nightforce ATACR 1-8x. The recent (and irrational) price increase by Vortex has me leaning heavily towards the Nightforce.
I actually prefer the LM8 upper over MLOK. I think it is stronger and more robust than MLOK. If I had a bunch of MLOK components, I might feel differently but, I don't. I just bought a few factory rails from LMT and the whole system is very solid.

Maybe someone can chime in on the advantages of MLOK? Standardization? I don't know.

I don't think you can go wrong with Nightforce ATACR or Vortex GEN III. I have 3 other ATACR's that I can put on this rifle if I want to so, I went with Vortex this time. My son and one of my shooting buddies shoot Vortex and I have been impressed.

Reactions: Snapper314
Does anyone know the dimensions of the LM8 Screws? I want to order some and my rail sections haven't come in yet from LMT.

I made a dedicated post for this but maybe it better belongs here in the MWS sticky. Do you all think this BCG is acceptable? I don’t worry about cosmetics much but this to me seems a little extreme. I have another that has no machining marks so I know it’s not “normal”.

Attachments

• 09205C7B-712E-41F1-AF87-184D662CEA2B.jpeg
    09205C7B-712E-41F1-AF87-184D662CEA2B.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 1AFB4F30-16FC-4AED-9B7A-77FD1FA00C5A.jpeg
    1AFB4F30-16FC-4AED-9B7A-77FD1FA00C5A.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 565E4CDA-0670-43AF-B53A-C17DF741218F.jpeg
    565E4CDA-0670-43AF-B53A-C17DF741218F.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 101
  • C0CAF61B-2A55-4188-9BC6-0B8E9AB27066.jpeg
    C0CAF61B-2A55-4188-9BC6-0B8E9AB27066.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 97
  • FD30B444-F251-475B-A8AD-A804A52A1EF3.jpeg
    FD30B444-F251-475B-A8AD-A804A52A1EF3.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Sad
Reactions: Doge
Very nice setup!

Depends on what you're doing of course. I personally started with a 1-6x on a 16" barrel and quickly found that this wasn't enough magnification for my tastes but added significant weight all the same. I've finally settled on a XTR3 3-18x for the 20", sold the 16" barrel to someone here, and will likely make the 13.5 upper a dedicated thermal upper or toss it for a 6.5cr barrel.

20220430_115931.jpg

My vote is for more magnification, maybe even a 2-12x ish optic. I've been impressed shooting the Vortex 1-10x, it just hasn't filled a role that I need.

Attachments

• 20220427_210250.jpg
    20220427_210250.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 194
I actually prefer the LM8 upper over MLOK. I think it is stronger and more robust than MLOK. If I had a bunch of MLOK components, I might feel differently but, I don't. I just bought a few factory rails from LMT and the whole system is very solid.

Maybe someone can chime in on the advantages of MLOK? Standardization? I don't know.
The LM8 rails are just chunky and sharp if something isn't mounted to them. Personally they're poorly designed and should be beveled so the end user doesn't gash themselves or gear on them.

All my other stuff like this uses Mlok, so it is a huge benefit in the modularity aspect. The mlok rail is also significantly lighter weight.

I would argue that LM8 is likely not much if any stronger than good Mlok sections when both are properly installed. Not really my area of expertise tho, I'll have to ask a engineer friend about it.

Be prepared to wait for a replacement. I'm at 14 months of waiting for a replacement upper for my complete MWS that I purchased
My buddy has an MWS that is like fucked 4 ways over. Jamming, blows primers, gassy and more. This is all without a can with a 13.5 and 16" barrel and with FGMM.

Apparently LMT so far is just not being helpful in resolving this issue.

My only time dealing with LMT CS was when I had a bolt for the qd barrel thing break. They told me my wrench was out of spec, I rolled my eyes and they express mailed me more for free. However, my $500 lmt upper will not fit the 20" barrel only the 13.5. I have chosen not to fight this battle yet, since I'm tired of re zeroing optics lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxwell
Has anyone tried a CGS Helios on their MWS? I have a ti awaiting approval, and thought I would reach out to see what buffer/spring and gas tube people were having success with to have it ready to go. Thank you

My buddy has an MWS that is like fucked 4 ways over. Jamming, blows primers, gassy and more. This is all without a can with a 13.5 and 16" barrel and with FGMM.

Apparently LMT so far is just not being helpful in resolving this issue.

My only time dealing with LMT CS was when I had a bolt for the qd barrel thing break. They told me my wrench was out of spec, I rolled my eyes and they express mailed me more for free. However, my $500 lmt upper will not fit the 20" barrel only the 13.5. I have chosen not to fit this battle yet, since I'm tired of re zeroing optics lately.
Not surprising unfortunately. I've found ~12 or so people who purchased a complete MWS right around the time I bought mine, who have all had out of spec builds and have received nothing but run around replies from Aaron Lecander who handles these issues at LMT. It is quite shocking to see a brand that I previously viewed as having great QC and CS take such a 180. I initially chalked my issues up to them being temporarily overwhelmed with mil contracts, but a year plus later it's hard to be very understanding after being continually lied to.

I made a dedicated post for this but maybe it better belongs here in the MWS sticky. Do you all think this BCG is acceptable? I don’t worry about cosmetics much but this to me seems a little extreme. I have another that has no machining marks so I know it’s not “normal”.
While a little annoying when paying so much for a BCG, the interior machining marks aren't a huge issue. I would be much more concerned about performance / wear related issues with the tooling that was left on the exterior rear end of the carrier. Seeing more and more blatantly ignored QC stuff like this just makes you wonder what else they're "missing" along the build process.

While a little annoying when paying so much for a BCG, the interior machining marks aren't a huge issue. I would be much more concerned about performance / wear related issues with the tooling that was left on the exterior rear end of the carrier. Seeing more and more blatantly ignored QC stuff like this just makes you wonder what else they're "missing" along the build process.
Ya those interior marks really don’t bother me, I just included photos to show the entire carrier. It doesn’t seem like the rear end makes contact with the inside of the upper so hopefully it won’t be an issue

@xanderzuk, @HeightOverBore, @Vivacious Stallion and I have my name on a list to be notified when a dealer has their stock replenished with more goodies from LM&T. Not a confidence building posts.

Maxwell
I probably wouldn't waste the effort worrying. The overwhelming likelihood is that you will end up with a well made part. The hide tends to be magnetic to the negative stuff.

I'm gonna use mine in a month for an intro to precision rifle class my GF wanted to take, since she'll be using my bolt gun. Should be a good time.

@xanderzuk, @HeightOverBore, @Vivacious Stallion and I have my name on a list to be notified when a dealer has their stock replenished with more goodies from LM&T. Not a confidence building posts.

Maxwell
Be sure to watch the dealers gunbroker pages too. I’ve been on lists for months for the big 2 and magically the notification never comes through but I’ve seen many of my waitlist items pop up on good ole GB under their pages.

Be prepared to wait for a replacement. I'm at 14 months of waiting for a replacement upper for my complete MWS that I purchased which turned out to be out of spec. I was told 6 months ago that the second an upper was made on the assembly line, I would be receiving it, so it is quite odd that Titan Defense, along with numerous other distributors have been receiving, marketing and selling complete MWS builds. When I called LMT out on this a couple weeks ago, they informed me that the "small handful" of new guns made and sent out were assembled from repurposed existing parts which is why I had not received a replacement upper yet. I have numerous LMT builds, but after waiting 1+ years for a replacement gun that arrived out of spec, while seeing additional parts and completed builds go out for sale, it's safe to say that I'll be turning to other brands once this upper is replaced.
LMT CS is hot trash and has been for a long time, especially for anything that needed to go back for replacement.

I probably wouldn't waste the effort worrying. The overwhelming likelihood is that you will end up with a well made part. The hide tends to be magnetic to the negative stuff.

I'm gonna use mine in a month for an intro to precision rifle class my GF wanted to take, since she'll be using my bolt gun. Should be a good time.
This. What you're hearing is a microscopic sample of people in the greater LMT customer universe. I'd also say that people on here are going to be more detail-oriented people with a higher standard just given the nature of our degree of interest in the subject. That said, it's never good to see negative trends, and I can confidently say that in addition to CS, build quality seems to have jumped off a cliff compared to past decades.

If you've ever had to deal with LMT CS, the key is to work around their incredulity that something could be wrong with their product. It's been like this for years.

You need to provide photos, and videos for evidence. Any text explanation should be short, clear, and technical.

Reactions: FriedAss
So I've been looking on getting a Silent captured spring for my LMT Mars-H since I love them in my AR-15's. Doing some research it seems like I need the H3 buffer weight version, and some sort of spacer to put behind the spring since the LMT's have longer buffer tubes? The only measurements I've seen for the spacer are .987″ in diameter and .720″ long.

Can anyone who has done this help me confirm? Or is there a simpler way?