• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

Anyone try the LMT .260 barrels out yet?

1:9 twist leaves me nonplussed and wondering what their reason was to shy away from the 1:8 which seems to be standard (and necessary) for the best bullets of this caliber.

Sure would be nice to place a call and have the thing show up ready to install than dealing with the gunsmith run-around.

I didn't even know LMT had released those barrells yet. My buddy, who I like to think knows a lot about precision shooting said they definitely should have been made 1:8 twist and not 1:9. If I'm not mistaken, you can get a barrell retrofitted for the MWS....I'll send you the link in PM if you like.

I know DBMG does fine work with a retrofit, looks like with anything else in this genre of shooting; you gotta fork out a few extra bucks to get it right.

That's the place.

Quick question for anyone. Has anyone else noticed a problem/issue when you try to eject a round using the charging handle? My buddy and I noticed the handle was hard to pull back and the round seemed to "hang" then suddenly break free. This happened with empty brass as well as a normally loaded round. I still have yet to shoot it, just wondering if anyone else has run across this.

Shot 100 rounds of handloads through it today:

175g SMKs=.610 MOA
165g SSTs=.820 MOA
150g SSTs=.752 MOA
178g AMax=.863 MOA

With a little more tweaking this gun will be sub .5 MOA out of a CL 16" barrel. LMT, you made quite the nice product!

These are all 5 shot groups, not that sissy 3 shot group stuff
smile.gif

Also, the groups of SSTs were shot without a rear bag. All groups were shot off a Harris bipod. I'm using a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 optic.

Just listed mine for sale in the for sale section. I am going to recoupe some cost from a surgeon KYshooter sold me. It should be a good deal on a tight shooting rifle.

Mine does best with the 175 SMK's also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2b9de2f2.png
</div></div>

What length barrel are you running there? Also how do you like the Magpul stock?

Nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRB45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2b9de2f2.png
</div></div>

What length barrel are you running there? Also how do you like the Magpul stock?

Nice rifle! </div></div>

18" SS barrel. The magpul stock has about the same cheek weld as the SOPMOD stock that comes with the gun, but is more conducive to prone shooting with a bag.

Can the gents that own the 16" CL barrel weigh in with what it's most accurate with in terms of commercially available factory loaded ammo?

trident1982,

Please do. I am new to the sport of long-range precision shooting and appreciate the wealth of information everyone shares on the hide.

I haven't gotten into reloading yet and would love to learn from your experience with the MWS 16" Cl and commercial ammo.

Thanks,

^^^^^^
If you read back through this thread, it covers these topics more than a few times

No, those topics are really not covered in any depth. A few commercial rounds are mentioned but nothing specific and certainly nothing backed up with "10 round groups," and real world ballistic data. If someone puts up pics of 3 or 5 round groups they get crapped on. There are lots of promises of range reports but darn few are ever posted.

I love my MWS, but honestly, I'm no expert and could use all the advice I can get. Trident1982 has posted on other BBs and I have always found his information useful and he backs it up with pics or vids. He might not be the most technical, or be an engineer but his practical demonstrations and reporting of his experience is very helpful.

I would love some information about good old military ball ammo, maybe some other bulk stuff and some commercial "good stuff." It would be nice to know about the ammo I can afford to shoot and see what others are getting from it.

My apologies for the rant, but I am open to all information regarding my MWSE and how others are shooting with it and what they are using.

I am sure, I am not alone in always seeking to learn from those with more experience, expertise, and information. From those of us looking to benefit from all of you that so generously share your knowledge, thank you.

Thanks Geld6, and I agree that there isn't really any true accuracy/ammo evaluations yet on the various forums regarding these relatively new rifles. Here very shortly I will be posting quite a bit of feedback on this rifle that I have wanted for quite some time.

As mentioned above, I'm far from technical or professional for that matter, however I do think that these forums should promote sharing and learning, thus I try to contribute when and where I can, as best as I can.

Good, bad, or indifferent...I will be posting extensively my results from this rifle in the future, so stay tuned Geld, we will find out our own answers here very shortly
smile.gif

So far I've used FGMM 168, TAP red box 168, TAP red box 110, PMC 147gr FMJ (ball), and Portugese ball.

The FGMM and both TAP loads shot great. For ball the port shot pretty well but the PMC was doo doo. 3-4MOA at best.

I've aquired a case of LC M118LR, and I plan to pick up a box of BH 175 aswell to try next time out.

I've also done some handloading. 43 and 44 gr's of W748 on Hornady match brass with winchester primer and 178 AMAX was shooting 1/2-3/4MOA. Also found a good shooting subsonic load. FGMM brass primer hole NOT drilled, winchester LRM primer, 10.2gr of trail boss, and Hornady 180gr round nose yielded 1040-1050FPS and 1MOA at 100 yards. Both loads I used the hornady factory crimp die on and the subsonics I spray with a little hornady one shot case lube.

I have hardly had time to shoot mine, hoping to do more this winter as work slows down. I shot an Appleseed match(I know, NOT long range) immediately after receiving mine, using JUNK Chilean surplus. Figured if the gun will eat that, it will eat everything else I have. I shot a 217 the first time out. When I say immediately after receiving it, I mean I got it on Thursday, and had to zero it at the shoot on Saturday morning. I have put about six hundred rounds of that Chilean crap through it, sans cleaning, without a single malfunction. It shoots about 1.5 moa using that stuff. I expect a lot better later this winter when I get to run some Black Hills 175gr., and get time to work up a 178gr. Amax load. Not a lot of help, but there it is..

My MWS 16" CL does very good with 175 SMK's and 44.7 grains of Varget. Ten round groups will hold just under 1 MOA consistantly all day long.

I've been wondering about that usarmoment ammunition. The link says that the ammo manufacturer is American Ballistics. Are they the official manufacturer of M118LR?

My local Cabelas was selling 7.62 175 Federal Gold Medal Match for 18.99 a box, so I had to grab few. I don't know why it's so inexpensive compared to .308 168 FGMM. American Eagle M1A was more expensive than than this. Also, Is the 7.62 FGMM similar to M118LR?

I also grabbed a 4 boxes of Silver State Armory 175gr Sierra OTM ammunition that they advertise as being similar to M118LR.

I would like to purchase real M118LR if anyone can find a reputable vendor.

Your probably not going to find any real M118LR. It's been quite a while since I've seen it for sale online. You may get lucky and find some on gunbroker or a private seller on here or arfcom that bought it and didn't shoot it. Even then you probably going to pay $500-800/case which doesn't make it cost effective compared to FGMM or BH. I got lucky and found a local guy that had it and he only wanted $300 for the 400 round case.

The AB stuff has had mixed reviews. I've only shot a box or two and it's been a couple years but if I remember correctly it shot pretty good for me.

BTW had some more time to do some shooting yesterday and it was about 20 degrees cooler than the last time I shot. My 10.2gr subsonic load is hovering around 980-1000fps in the colder weather so I'm going to load some 10.3's to try. Also did some more testing with the 178's and they were grouping 1/2 minute with 43 and 43.5gr charges of W748 on FGMM brass. I'm going to keep working up and see if I can find a higher velocity load that shoots that good. The 43gr charges were hovering around 2400fps but I forget to turn the chrono on for the 43.5gr loads.

BTW if anybody is looking for a MWS I have a Gen 1 with FDE furniture I picked up locally just for the scope and mount I'll make somebody a good deal on. Previous owner said he only fired 2 or 3 mags and judging by wear that looks about right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like to purchase real M118LR if anyone can find a reputable vendor.
</div></div>

Real M118LR is loaded a little light- in a 16" MWS the velocity would kind of suck. (think ~2430FPS) As far as I know it is 43.1-43.5 grains Reloader 15 with a possible flash retardent added, 175 grain SMK, loaded to 2.81" OAL in a Lake City match case. No info on primers- maybe they are F210M's?

I've seen multiple posters here post loads 2.8-2.815" OAL with 175SMK's and 44.6-45 grains of Varget with different primers (CCI#34 / CCIBR2 / F210M) as their most accurate/favorite Sub-MOA load for the MWS 16"CL.

I think the #34 primer sounds like the best fit- it is supposed to be a harder "mil-spec" primer to reduce chances of slamfires in auto-loading guns.* That should also be a better primer for higher pressure loads which the 45 grains of varget load is.

Apparently the 45 grain varget loads should be good for 2500FPS in a 16"CL MWS. If you use Magpul mags you may have to do 2.8" maximum OAL, so your load is pretty much developed, unless you are willing to sacrifice velocity for accuracy.

C-products or ACS mags and possibly KAC and Larue will allow the 2.81-2.815" length that apparently puts the bullet .010" off the lands.

I want to contact magpul and see what their magazine max OAL is. If it is not 2.81" I'll buy the other mags. I want to run 45 grains of Varget @2.81" OAL in FGMM cases with #34 CCI primers. Hopefully that gives me 2500-2510FPS.

* CCI #34 military primers

Got loose today, hit the range (don't usually go on weekends), windy as shit, place was packed.
Fired 50 rounds, 168 FGMM and some FGMM 7.62X51 to see any diff. The 7.62 was about an inch low @ 100. Groups were similar in size. I was pretty sloppy, would have a tight one going and throw 1 out by a mile (Grrrrr).
For me, the LMT MWS is one of the best values in .308 AR's today. Mine is a 16" CL, with a USO SN-3s with the JNG. It's not a bench rifle, nothing special 2-stage trigger, not a target scope, but it gives me groups like the ones below. It's hard to justify buying one of Reed's EMC's for $4500+ when the LMT was $2300. The Sn-3s was right at $2100+/-. With rings, sling, bipod, it's as much as an EMC sans scope.
Both are super rifles (shot an EMC of a friend 4-5 times/days) but for the money Honey, the LMT is hard to beat. It' also hard to justify a bolt rifle, I don't shoot bench rest, F-1, etc. So I'll just keep slumming with my LMT, maybe a trigger upgrade, that's it. Love my LMT.
DSC_0217.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

Fantastic report, great shooting. Did you notice any kinda of difference between the felt recoil of the EMC vs. MWS?

LMT and KAC are easily at the top of my list in terms of favorites mfg'rs. People would be surprised at how close of friends these two outfits really are.

First, I just wanted to say "thank-you" to everyone who took the time and made the effort to post some really good information in this thread. It took me hours to read it all today, from posting 1 to the current one, but it was worth it!

I am a new LMT MWSE owner (about a month), and this thread has taught me a lot.

One of the things I noticed is that so many of you who handload for it are using Varget. I had bought a pound of IMR 4895to start my load development with, based on a short discussion in Zediker's book on competitive handloading. I think he favored it at the time because the pressure versus time curve would be gentler on a semiauto action, but he may have thinking M1A, not AR when he wrote that.

How would those of you who have used both IMR4895 and Varget in 308 ARs compare the two powders?

Jim G

The EMC is finished a little more nicely. Little touches make the EMC a Cadillac.
Weight reducing dimples, what I think is the best buis set-up by a factory. Just about every one will use some sort of optics, KAC's buis are slick, nice feature.
Shooting groups like this makes me wonder about the value/need of a spare
barrel (like a spare 20" SS). Barrel swaps are easy with the LMT.
The rifles are close cousins.
I've got some BH in 168, will shoot this week, put up the pics. Also will shoot at 200 & 600 yds. Few people at the range during the week, weather in FL is starting to cool off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: afd77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New paint and a new can.

securedownload4.jpg

</div></div>

That looks sick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, I just wanted to say "thank-you" to everyone who took the time and made the effort to post some really good information in this thread. It took me hours to read it all today, from posting 1 to the current one, but it was worth it!

One of the things I noticed is that so many of you who handload for it are using Varget. I had bought a pound of IMR 4895to start my load development with, based on a short discussion in Zediker's book on competitive handloading. I think he favored it at the time because the pressure versus time curve would be gentler on a semiauto action, but he may have thinking M1A, not AR when he wrote that.

How would those of you who have used both IMR4895 and Varget in 308 ARs compare the two powders?

Jim G </div></div>

Zediker was writing in reference to the M14. You can't push hot handloads through an M14 or a Garand without running into trouble due to the way the op rod and bolt are designed. The AR platform is more forgiving but you still must work up your own handload data for your rifle and keep an eye out for any signs of dangerous pressure. You should be fine with IMR4895 in your rifle, just work up the data from a safe starting point according to a reputable loading manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimGnitecki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, I just wanted to say "thank-you" to everyone who took the time and made the effort to post some really good information in this thread. It took me hours to read it all today, from posting 1 to the current one, but it was worth it!

Jim G </div></div>

Zediker was writing in reference to the M14. You can't push hot handloads through an M14 or a Garand without running into trouble due to the way the op rod and bolt are designed. The AR platform is more forgiving but you still must work up your own handload data for your rifle and keep an eye out for any signs of dangerous pressure. You should be fine with IMR4895 in your rifle, just work up the data from a safe starting point according to a reputable loading manual. </div></div>

I used IMR4895 for some time and it works just fine in the LMT. Varget is just fine too and seems to be the benchmark for all others. I'm in the process of phasing out of my older .308 loads in favor of IMR 8208XBR. This is mostly based on pressure consistancy across temperature ranges and easier metering.

The important thing to keep in mind when you're loading up for the LMT is that you won't be able to load as hot for it as you can for your bolt guns. I had to back my load down quite a bit to prevent primers from being dropped. I had a primer drop into the reciever of a DPMS LR308 some time back and got lodged under the trigger mechanism and freezing it up. I ended up having to remove the trigger group in order to remove the little bastard.

Awhile back some knowledgeable soul did a nice post on installing flush cups in an A-2 stock on his MWS. When I found the post later, the pictures had been removed. Could someone (or maybe the original poster) do this again, so I would know exactly where to drill the hole for best results. Much appreciated, thanks in advance...

I've been Jonesing for a silencer for my MWS. I have a 16 and an 18-in barrel. Any of you guns running a can that can make a recommendation and give some pros and cons and tips. One of the dealers on the Hide recommended a 762SDN-6 Thanks...

Anyone running either a 18 or 20" SS and if so what kind of accuracy are you getting with factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bravo 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running either a 18 or 20" SS and if so what kind of accuracy are you getting with factory ammo. </div></div>

18" ss here.

With crappy magtec ammo
IMG_2149a.jpg

With some spanked together handloads not worked up
NF-LMT-range%20001a.jpg

At 650 yds with a 3x acog
Picture2%20007a.jpg

Picture2%20015.jpg

Nice report Problemchild:)

These MWSs are extremely accurate from everything Ive ever seen posted.

Keep up the great reports gentlemen!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bravo 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone running either a 18 or 20" SS and if so what kind of accuracy are you getting with factory ammo. </div></div>

18" ss here.

With crappy magtec ammo

With some spanked together handloads not worked up
NF-LMT-range%20001a.jpg

</div></div>

That's what I hope to see in a couple of weeks. I've had an 18" SS sitting at the house for 6 weeks, and it'll be 2 more befopre I get home and have a chance to fire it.

Thanks guy's. That is what I was looking for.

Going to order a 18" SS.

I own the 16 CL and am shooting .5-.6 MOA groups all day with handloads. I will be getting the SS barrel as my next upgrade.

5 shot groups for the record not the sissy 3 shot groups
smile.gif

Thanks a lot guys .....I 'HAD' my mind made up to get a LMT CQB for a nice price of $1449. This thread convinced me to spend $1K more on the. 308.
.5-.6-.7 moa,!!!!!!!!!!! I can only hope.....
My NM M1a will be getting retired , was only a 1.25moa rifle.
Any recommendation for scope rings/mount for a Bushnell 4200 elite
6x24x40 (40mm objective 1in tube)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the hide Matchman.

It doesn't matter which one you buy first, I bought the LMT MWS and HAD to have a mini me MRP CQB to match it. You'll do the same. Now on to the MRP stretch chassis!!! </div></div>

Glad I'm not the only person who did that! Got my CQB today for $1350 out the door. I'll put pics of the two up once I get the CQB set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I guess I jumped the gun a bit didnt have the extra scratch so I traded a 3.5-15X56 Nightforce NSX for my upper. I did get the enhanced BGC with it though. Where did you get that deal? I want to add a rifle chasis to the pack </div></div>

If you were talking about me, I got my MRP on gunbroker. There is another one up there right now for the same price. Auction number is 261476143.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMT MWS with chrome barrel
PRS Stock
Heavy Buffers AR10 Rifle spring and buffer
A2 Reciever Extension from Grant
Larue integrated bipod adaptor with Harris Bipod
Premier 3-15 MIL-Dot (A bit more scope than needed, but I'm putting it on my longest range rifle till I get a bolt gun (AIX or the new Remmy)
Looking to swap in my G-Trigger, maybe a offset red dot, Magpul trigger guard and MBUS, and figure out a sling for this heavy bastard.
Looking to run some multiple ammo samples thru it in the next few days. Going to try it at Hoser's Praire Dog and Rifle matches- I want there to be no mistaking when a target gets hit.

LMRSTI1.jpg

LMRSTI3.jpg
</div></div>

Amazing thread!!!

I've looked pretty hard for that knob on your bipod swivel nut and I cannot find it. I keep seeing the Pod Lock levers but not the knob. Do you remember the name of it? I might just buy the Phoenix Tactical "SARG".

I was also going to ask you about your bipod mount because my Harris has a bunch of extra mounting hardware in the front but i read that it was a Larue. Is there any other brands that offer the integrated mount?

Thank you