• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

Re: LMT .308 MWS

By dollar value KAC has the nicest offset iron.

Dueck makes a similar set.

JP makes a neat one peice, competition quick, offset sight.

I agree. I love those KAC offset sights. You can also offset a Aimpoint in the KAC mount and have the irons cowitness.

Thats the setup I want to do.

I've got some additional Chrono data from today if anyone is interested.

PSA is local to me and my best source of ammo, but they've been out of FGMM lately. They did however have a sale on Privi 168gr Match for $13.99, so I picked up a few boxes. I also grabbed a couple boxes of 168gr SMK Fiocchi Match that they had for $24.99 per box. About $6 a box more than the Federal normally runs.

I had heard not to expect too much from the Privi. It held true to what I had read and though it had a couple of nice groups, by and large they were larger and more inconsistent than the other ammo I've run through my MWS. It also ran slower than any other 168gr load I've run to date.

The Fiocchi was a good shooter. It produced tighter groups and more consistent results than the Privi. It is also the fastest 168gr load I've run to date. Accuracy seemed to run about on par with the 168gr FGMM (at least in my inexperienced hands), but at $6 per box more than the Federal, I don't think I'll be buying anymore.

Chrono results for both loads out of my 18" Stainless MWS are as follows:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">168gr Privi Partisan Match</span>
2501 fps

Avg = 2499 fps
ES = 65
SD = 21

<span style="text-decoration: underline">168gr SMK Fiocchi Match</span>

Avg = 2627
ES = 73
SD = 19

Temp for both strings was 63deg, at 320 ft above sea level, with a barometer of 29.7.

Both strings were supposed to be 10rnds but my chronograph apparently failed to record one round of the Privi.

Nice report RD62. I had not seen any chrony results for Privi before. Your results match my anecdotal findings. Privi is inconsistent, good for training but not much more.

Thanks again for the write up.

Stay on target,
Geld6

You guys this is a great thread... took me 3 days to read through the whole thing... long thread lots of good ingo info. I start my DROS tomorrow so my 16" CL will be out of gun jail in 10 days.

I'm planning on adding a G SD-C and trying to come up with a scope selection. Looking at Premier light tactical, March 2.5 to 25, and IOR. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

I did get a good report on a brake made by Parallax tactical(a local shop Google should work) $79.00 comparable to a Battlecomp brake for like 2x. The guy I was talking to said he tried both and went with the Parallax tactical

Waiting for an LMT MWS is way more expensive than buying an LMT MWS

PC015369.jpg

The wait should be over this month.

Does anyone have the LM8 version of the MWS? Ive done some searching and I have not figured out how much weight it actually saves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waiting for an LMT MWS is way more expensive than buying an LMT MWS

PC015369.jpg

The wait should be over this month. </div></div>

Looks like you're ate up with it now... Your learning curve looks like it's pretty steep too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waiting for an LMT MWS is way more expensive than buying an LMT MWS</div></div>

A thing(s) of beauty.

As a relative newcomer to precision long range shooting, I wanted to share a proud moment I had yesterday with my new LMT MWS 16" CL. While sighting in my new Leupold VX-R Patrol I managed this nice group at 100 yards with FGMM 7.62 175 SMK(target squares are one inch). Gun has exactly one box of ammo through it. I'd say the gun is a winner and its all up to me from here!

E5B82B59.jpg

1B3A4CEA.jpg

Congress's on the great group FNA.

Which scope mount is that and how do you like it? Where did you get the colored rail covers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IslandTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congress's on the great group FNA.

Which scope mount is that and how do you like it? Where did you get the colored rail covers? </div></div>

Larue LT-104 mount and Larue Index clips on the rail.

BigAl- I think we've talked on ARFCOM in the Leupold question thread I started over there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IslandTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congress's on the great group FNA.

Which scope mount is that and how do you like it? Where did you get the colored rail covers? </div></div>

Larue LT-104 mount and Larue Index clips on the rail.

BigAl- I think we've talked on ARFCOM in the Leupold question thread I started over there. </div></div>

^^^I think you are right! BTW, love those index clips...

If you think waiting sucks... try waiting then getting the day off to break her in, deciding to clean her first... then 1/2 hour before leaving to shoot, break one of the barrel bolts while reassembling her... damkit. I just didn't feel the torque wrench click...it clicked fine on the back bolt... damkit!!!!

Gene at LMT was great he sent out a replacement bolt today

I got ahead of the curve and bought 4 spares just in case.

Those bolts are $10 a pop.

Do both the MRP 5.56 and MWS 7.62 use the same torque bolts/locking screws?

They dont appear to be the same. MRP are smaller.

Disregard my last post. Looking at my spare MWS bolts and comparing them to the CQB16 bolts they do appear to be the same. A call to LMT will confirm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only 4 ounces, but considerably slimmer. </div></div>

How much slimmer? I sold my MWS mainly because the forearm was so ungainly. Love the LMT stuff, otherwise. If the LM8 forearm is slim enough, I might buy into that. Anyone have actual dimensional differences?

Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

Also wondering if there's a compilation of MV values around here. Wondering what FGMM 7.62 175gr SMK is doing out of my 16" CL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

E5B82B59.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like you got yourself a keeper! One question though ... Your scope seems to be a little far out to the front ... Either your scope has very long eye relief or you maybe putting your face too close to the charging handle. May want to try moving the scope back a little bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waiting for an LMT MWS is way more expensive than buying an LMT MWS

PC015369.jpg

The wait should be over this month. </div></div>

Yup. Im like that too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?</div></div>

Centerline of the bore to the top of the rail is just over 1.25", not quite to 1 3/8"

Mine is 2.875 inches between bore & scope on my LMT using an LT OBR mount with 30mm rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kOrBust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

E5B82B59.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like you got yourself a keeper! One question though ... Your scope seems to be a little far out to the front ... Either your scope has very long eye relief or you maybe putting your face too close to the charging handle. May want to try moving the scope back a little bit more. </div></div>

Believe me, I was looking at this closely when I mounted everything but this is where it ended up for me. Now, previously my AR time has been with ACOGs so maybe I am used to being up on the charging handle but this seems to be working for me. Am I leaving anything on the table running this in this manner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ralfabco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the .260 barrels available from LMT ?

What lengths ?

Price ? </div></div>

They have a web based store on their site with pricing. Ive bought stuff via email corr. very nice to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have a web based store on their site with pricing. Ive bought stuff via email corr. very nice to deal with. </div></div>

Who/What are you referring to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

Also wondering if there's a compilation of MV values around here. Wondering what FGMM 7.62 175gr SMK is doing out of my 16" CL. </div></div>

I have 2437@10ft wrote down for mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

Also wondering if there's a compilation of MV values around here. Wondering what FGMM 7.62 175gr SMK is doing out of my 16" CL. </div></div>

I have 2437@10ft wrote down for mine. </div></div>

Thanks. That's with FGMM 175 SMK out of a 16"? Did you personally confirm that with a chrono or did you read it somewhere? Just making sure it is accurate info. Thanks again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

Thanks. That's with FGMM 175 SMK out of a 16"? Did you personally confirm that with a chrono or did you read it somewhere? Just making sure it is accurate info. Thanks again! </div></div>

That was my chrono @60 degrees with the 7.62 175 FGMM I can't recall if it's different than the .308 labeled. I think my chrono reads on the low side though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

Thanks. That's with FGMM 175 SMK out of a 16"? Did you personally confirm that with a chrono or did you read it somewhere? Just making sure it is accurate info. Thanks again! </div></div>

That was my chrono @60 degrees with the 7.62 175 FGMM I can't recall if it's different than the .308 labeled. I think my chrono reads on the low side though. </div></div>

Thanks- I'm shooting the 7.62 stuff so that's good info.

Nice setup, I have been wanting a LMT in .308 but I keep looking at the SCAR 17 as well.

Looks like Business & Packing a little easier .
27.5 inches OAL, Folded.

<span style="font-weight: bold">( SS- 16-inch barrel ) 175 smk's / IMR 3031 . 42.0 grns / 2587 Vel. fps / OAL 2.80"</span>
-
LMT308.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNA1inTampa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone happen to know the height over bore of the top rail on a MWS?

1.318"

I'm getting ready to take my MWS out to 600 for the first time.

I know, I know. The ranges around here are a little short and I just haven't put in the effort to go longer.

I've had it at 200 plenty.

I'll be shooting 168g FGMM.

Any tips? What kind of drop should I expect?

We are shooting and scoring 5 shots at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600.

Thanks!

Sorry, 16" Chrome lined here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoots about 2515 fps with 168 FGGM in a 16" CL. </div></div>

M118LR chronos 2490FPS out of mine. 175SMK LC

I haven't chronoed with the can- maybe I picked up a little velocity with that. That would be cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys this is a great thread... took me 3 days to read through the whole thing... long thread lots of good info. I start my DROS tomorrow so my 16" CL will be out of gun jail in 10 days.

I'm planning on adding a G SD-C and trying to come up with a scope selection. Looking at Premier light tactical, March 2.5 to 25, and IOR. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

I did get a good report on a brake made by Parallax tactical(a local shop Google should work) $79.00 comparable to a Battlecomp brake for like 2x. The guy I was talking to said he tried both and went with the Parallax tactical</div></div>

It is with great sadness I report my LMT will have to be sent back to the factory. On two occasions the bolt has locked in the barrel. The first time with a round in the chamber (wanna talk scary ride home). The dealer tried to repair it but tonight it happened again. I was shooting a combination of Black Hills and American Eagle 168gn ammo. I know stuff happens but why me? I'm certain LMT will take care of me, but I get to wait at least till after the holidays

It's not uncommon for an unfired cartridge to be difficult as shit to extract manually.

What did LMT say about it, assuming you asked them?

I will not be able to talk to them until Dec 26... which sucks cause I was going to go shooting in the desert the 27th, and wanted to bring my new toy!

Of the two times you mentioned, you said one was on a chambered round - did the bolt lock up the other time on an empty chamber?

Have you pulled the barrel out and took a better look into the chamber with a flashlight to see any burrs or other signs of damage? Do you have a picture of the brass from the two rounds that got stuck?

The MWS is very user friendly and allows you to get a better look at parts for wear and tear plus maintenance. I know LMT will take care of you once they get their holiday break over with.

I will tear it down when I get back from the desert, Gene at LMT said to send the rifle back. When it comes back from LMT I will shoot about 100 rds of factory ammo then start feeding her reloads. Are you guys who reload full length resizing, and trimming for every reload, or using a body die?

Picked this up a few weeks ago. Sorry to u guys who have been waiting for one forever. I was lucky enough to scoop this one up for a steal.

33awdg2.jpg

rjprir.jpg