• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT .308 MWS

From the ones I've seen at the LGS - yes. Seems to have started being 308 since about late 2014 but I'm not positive.

Bought a 16" stainless barrel for mine last month directly from LMT.
It is marked 762X51mm.

My manufacture date was 12/2013 and it's 7.62 marked, including the 16" SS barrel. Just FYI...

FWIW, I bought mine in November of 2015. Not sure of the manufacture date, but my local dealer had advertised a super low price and sold out - so he special ordered mine directly from LMT. Receiver is marked "CAL 7.62X51MM" and just under that "LM308MWS", while the 16" barrel is marked "MP 7.62 NATO 1/10 CB".

Still learning to shoot the .308 gas gun, but it is starting to show some promise with 42 gr of Varget + or - in LC cases and 168s. Hoping to tame it with a SureFire brake and maybe a PRS stock I have on hand.

FWIW, I bought mine in November of 2015. Not sure of the manufacture date, but my local dealer had advertised a super low price and sold out - so he special ordered mine directly from LMT. Receiver is marked "CAL 7.62X51MM" and just under that "LM308MWS", while the 16" barrel is marked "MP 7.62 NATO 1/10 CB".

Still learning to shoot the .308 gas gun, but it is starting to show some promise with 42 gr of Varget + or - in LC cases and 168s. Hoping to tame it with a SureFire brake and maybe a PRS stock I have on hand.

SF break will help for sure. I have a 16" MWS Pigman that has one.

Those are definitely solid platforms, and man do that shoot real well.

Really solid, Amazing build quality.

Just breaking in mine, a slick side LM8MWS with 16" chrome lined barrel, mounted correctly with a USO SR6. I am getting used to the rifle now with about 200 rounds through it. What a great rifle - so easy and smooth to shoot, doesn't feel like a 308. I have not gotten great accuracy so far, 2MOA, strangely about the same with MEN and Fed XM80C ball ammo as with BH and FGMM 168's and M118, but that may be me.

I emailed the factory and asked what shoots best in this barrel, and they told me the following: "With the chrome lined 1:10 barrel we actually recommend a lighter grain bullet – 149-160. Try that and see if it shoots any better for you."

Most of my experience in rifle comes mostly from loading for and shooting 77 and 80 gr SMK's from White Oak service rifle uppers in high power. I have no experience at all trying to get tight groups from CL barrels. Maybe someone could explain to me why the factory would make this recommendation.

Funny that a heavier bullet would not shoot better in a tighter twist. Especially strange with this rifle where the UK ordered a 1:11.25 bbl to be able to shoot its 155gr precision loads and de linked 149 gr MG ammo.

It's fine having a chrome lined barrel for shooting inexpensive attracts-a-magnet MG ammo at a steel plate. (It's great for ringing 12" plate at 200.) But I ordered the stainless 1:11.25 bbl.

I really like this rifle. Sneaking off from home and work to go shoot it.

Last edited:
I found an old box of 7.62x51 FGMM 175's at the LGS hidden in the back of a shelf of 175 .308's. They sold it to me for $12.00 because they are a bit oxidized. Shot a .60 group at 100 meters with the first 5 out of the box - SS 16" and my friend's CL 16" shot 1.1" with the next 5. They are labeled FC 13. Your MWS will shoot what it shoots - buy and try. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules when you are between 1/10 and 1/12 twist with a 7.62/.308 until you go to 185's +. I just received my 6.5 CM bbl from LMT and I'm hoping it won't disappoint.

Reactions: Vereor
Hey fellas. I have about 300 rounds through my MWS as of now and I fricken love this rifle. It's gotta be the most bombproof rifle on earth. I have a 16" CL barrel and with match handloads (175's and 178's) it hovers around 1" for 5 shot groups. I've yet to clean the rifle since I got it and every round has passed through a SF suppressor. So yes the rifle is filthy.

I've read in the past that the CL barrels like being dirty so that's why I haven't scrubbed the bore. Is there anything else I should be doing to chase a bit more accuracy out of this BBL?

That's pretty good for a CL barrel. Occasionally you'll run into one that's half moa but pretty uncommon. I guess I made a mistake; my .75 groups went away after 2 doses of wipeout. I cleaned with a JP bore guide and clean Dewey rod with VFG pellets and the 16" SS is now at about 1.5 moa after 40 rounds of the stuff that used to shoot well - FGMM. I know for damn sure that I didn't hurt anything with cleaning but I remember that the rifle shot like that when it was new. Back then I was about ready to sell it after a hundred or so rounds but I put it in the safe and kinda forgot about it. My buddy got one and I decided to bring mine out again. Same meager performance but we were just shooting jugs at about five hundred yards. My hits became so precise that I decided to shoot a couple of groups at 100 yds and, lo and behold, at the 200ish round count (no cleaning) the thing was producing 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups. Guess I'll suffer through a couple hundred rounds again...

I think these barrels like to be ‘dirty’ or shall we say seasoned? As noted many places a couple hundred rounds seem to be ticket. My experiments have me at wiping the chamber regularly with slip 725 and leaving the bore alone. When the round count gets high I have knocked the gunk out of the bore with the 725 but no copper solvent. Hums right along.

Just for the record I have the regular and light 16” CL .308 barrels. 42 to 42.5 of IMR 4895 in WCC cases and CCI Std primers gives me 0.75 MOA when I am in practice. The Federal GMM 168 and American Eagle M1A 167s give similar results and similar zeros.

Surefire warcomp big thumbs up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have been pretty pleased with our LM8 MWS ( 13.5", 16" and 20" barrels )

Pretty solid MOA shooter and with the 20" barrel one of the best single 5 shot groups I have shot with a semi:

Suppressed at 100 meters, Lapua 167gr factory Scenar ammo:

AU_proto_LM8-20inch.jpg

Another suppressed group at 100 meters, same Lapua ammo, suppressor removed between every shot:

LMT_LM8_Ase_Utra%20COMPACT-BL%20suppressor.jpg

Zeroing weapons a few weeks back for a range day with a customer group. Shot very well with the RUAG M80 ball.

LMT_LM8_MWS.jpg

Reactions: Mdp777
We have been pretty pleased with our LM8 MWS ( 13.5", 16" and 20" barrels )

Pretty solid MOA shooter and with the 20" barrel one of the best single 5 shot groups I have shot with a semi:

Suppressed at 100 meters, Lapua 167gr factory Scenar ammo:

AU_proto_LM8-20inch.jpg

Another suppressed group at 100 meters, same Lapua ammo, suppressor removed between every shot:

LMT_LM8_Ase_Utra%20COMPACT-BL%20suppressor.jpg

thats amazing. nice shooting

Mine has never shot that well.

Wait let me rephrase that,

I have never shot mine that well.

Me neither ;) just a couple of the best examples. But as mentioned it shoots reliably MOA and sub that usually also if I do my part.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2821\/33825320826_cb741c3c85_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-11 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2902\/33710042462_c0cbae5ddd_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-13 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/3\/2916\/33825320506_0024efca75_b.jpg"}[/IMG2]Canon EOS-1D X-EF24-70mm f-2.8L USM-March 31, 2017-12 by Chris Hoesel, on Flickr

Lancer: what model of Vortex is that? 4x-16x?

As far as 6.5 Creedmoor in the LMT MWS, what factory ammunition have y'all had luck with?

I've been shooting my factory 6.5 barrel for a few weeks now but am not impressed with the accuracy - yet. I've only got 60 rounds through it so maybe there's still hope. The new FGMM hover around 1.5 MOA and Hornady 140's were very close to the same. Prime was over 2 MOA and Hornady 120 ELD M about the same. Haven't tried any handloads through it yet but will try some SMK's soon. Good luck!

When I used to own a LMT MWS (in which I miss that darn rifle) it takes a lot to consistently shoot it under 1moa from reloading and driving the rifle... it’s a true battle rifle and built like a tank. I shot thousands of rounds they my 20” cl lmt and it took a solid 500 rounds for it to produce solid groups

My .308 barrel was pretty consistently sub MOA but it took me or the gun a couple hundred rounds to get there. I'm hoping I haven't suddenly lost my "touch" and this new 6.5 barrel just needs some more rounds through it. I have been spoiled lately by shooting my LRP-07 so some readjustment may be in order.

I sure it has been talked about, but for the life of me I can't find it. Anyone making a 6mm Creed barrel for the the LMT MWS? I've seen other AR10s in 6mm and the might have feeding issues?

That is the Razor HD II 3-18x50 MIL/MIL * * *

Thanks. Yeah, I'm looking to upgrade my optic from an old Leupy.

My can came in back in Dec. and my 'smith profiled and threaded the 18" SS SPR barrel for it. I'm going to replace the 16" C/L tube with it this week, and then range test it ASAP. Definitely want to take it to a 3-day PR class in April.

So I'm looking for better glass now. I've had good experience with ADM mounts, so will likely use one of those.

I was checking out the Burris line, but your Razor's magnification range is about what I want.

Question for you MWS owners. When you insert your barrel with both bolts removed (not necessary I know) can you wiggle the barrel a bit side to side or clock/counterclock? I'm wondering if this is why I'm having poor accuracy with mine. I recently removed the barrel for cleaning and retorque to see if it will help. I don't remember if it was like that with my last MWS.

I'm pondering a .308 AR build and am looking at bolts/BCGs.
I haven't found any info regarding compatibility of the LMT .308 bolt/BCG. Is it compatible with either DPMS pattern barrels/extensions or Armalite AR-10 ones?

What height mount are you guys liking for a scope (I have a Premier 3-15x50)? A few years ago I had in in a 1.5 inch high Larue mount, and it was OK. I found I needed a fair amount of PRS stock comb height- IIRC, it was a few years ago. I was looking at taking putting my MWS-SS20 into a PRS/Accurate role and putting my 3-15 back-on, but I'm using that mount for other optics. I see Larue has 1.2ish and 1.3 ish mounts- some with cant and some not. Can you get too low?- as in still clearing the scope bell, but too low get comfortable?

Getting a good check weld with out relying on the PRS comb would open up more options on the stock.

I'm using seeking (ultra high I believe) with a mk6 44mm objective. It is just barely clearing the top rail and sight height is perfect even without an adjustable cheekpiece. You shouldn't have any issues with it being too low with a 50mm objective.

I'm using seeking (ultra high I believe) with a mk6 44mm objective. It is just barely clearing the top rail and sight height is perfect even without an adjustable cheekpiece. You shouldn't have any issues with it being too low with a 50mm objective.

Are those the Extra High 1.26, or the AR-High 1.45?

ar 1.45. Now that I look at it again, there is plenty of clearance with my 44mm objective. Your 50mm should fit just fine.

Reactions: Gjb89
What ring height are you guys using? I have a 50mm obj and 34mm tube scope. Thinking a badger 20 moa 1.3" or 1.5" height mount. Not sure which height to go with.

What ring height are you guys using? I have a 50mm obj and 34mm tube scope. Thinking a badger 20 moa 1.3" or 1.5" height mount. Not sure which height to go with.

After posting above, I just got some mounts in to see what worked.

I'm going through the same thing now. From my bolt gun I had a scope like that (PRemier 3-15x50) in a 1.18 mount, and it would clear with out any lens cap, but not with it. It was also too low and scope shadow was a problem. I have a Larue 1.28 that will clear the rail with the cap (just barely) and that works for seeing the scope. 1.385 I haven't tried.

I had the scope in a 1.535 and I'd put about a 1/4 inch rise on my PRS check rest- so the 1.28 seems to make sense.

I would say that others have said that 1.535 seems low to them and they couldn't do anything lower than that. It seems, that for 50 objective scopes the limiting factor is more the personal ergonomics (and the caps). What feels best to you to you over 1.3 seems to be the key.

Reactions: Gjb89
i am using seekins 1.26 rings for my 44mm Leupold Mk6, very nice, feels very natural to settle in behind the scope and get a good sight picture. tried to run a set of Mk4 1.4 rings and NF 1.375 Uni mount and found myself always adjusting my head and not being consistent

Did both of the above on my LMTMWS and it helped tame the recoil but obviously made a heavy rifle even heavier which is what I expected. But the additional weight of the PRS doesn't bother me .

Having a hard time getting good cheek weld on my rifle. Currently running a NF 3.5-15x50mm in a Larue SPR 1.5 mount. I have a Magpul UBR stock on there now. Thinking of switching to either a Magpul PRS or a LMT DMR.

Anyone have insight on either stock?

Hi, I’m running a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x 44mm DAGR with the LMT DMR308 stock. The comb is adjustable on that stock along with length of pull (can also be adjusted two clicks along the tube). Have no problem getting proper cheek weld. Also like that the LMT fits on mil spec buffer tube. Pull the old stock off, pop the DMR on, done. Also using LMT DMR556 on LMT 5.56 lower with Leopold Mark IV LR/T 3.5-10x 40mm scope, no issues with cheek weld there either. The DMR cheek rest is adjustable by 45 positions.

p.s. The DAGR comes with a Leupold mount, 1.5 from top of rail same as the LaRue.

I went with a lower Larue scope mount 1.2-1.3 with my Premier with some fat caps on it. Check your actual measurements. That helps bring it down. I still put a bit of my PRS up on the check piece, but not as much as when I used the standard mounts. I have the older Gen PRS and the only thing I don't like is the lack of real adjustment in the butt stock length. It is long or longer. I have Trex arms, so I'l like an inch or so shorter, especially to help get all curled up with the LMT as it moves all around under recoil.

Thanks guys. I don’t remember what length buffer tube came from the factory with the sopmod. I do recall having to switch over to a heavy carbine buffer and spring from slash when I added the UBR.

Does the LMT DMR stock fit on the factory extension tube?

Yes, it fits the factory tube and you do not need to modify/change the buffer or spring. Just take the old stock off put the DMR on, done.

Yes, it fits the factory tube and you do not need to modify/change the buffer or spring. Just take the old stock off put the DMR on, done.

Speaking of the LMT DMR stocks, I just bought a MWS with one on it. Should be here in a couple days. I’m curious if others are pleased with them (compared to other DMR stocks). I like that it’s easy to switch out if needed.

Overall, yes I like them and own two; one on a 7.62 and the other on a 5.56, both LMT's. If I had to find something to complain about I would have made the cheek piece a little longer. For whatever reason if I'm not paying attention to where I'm putting my face I can catch the back end of the cheek piece on the lower back part of my of my face (along my jaw). It smarts. I think it may have to do with where the scope is mounted and how I have adjusted the length of pull to get proper eye relief so I'm not even sure if the stock is the issue. With my face properly planted, no problem and would not hesitate for a minute in recommending them.

Speaking of the LMT DMR stocks, I just bought a MWS with one on it. Should be here in a couple days. I’m curious if others are pleased with them (compared to other DMR stocks). I like that it’s easy to switch out if needed.

I just got one after 4 years of waiting! I started with a magpul ctr and Larue comb but quickly realize I would also have to switch mounts. There was a lot of movement so I sold the Larue device. I then added a magpul ext butt pad and plastic comb. That worked for a while but I always felt like I was adjusting my head and movement could also be detected so it was hard to be consistent. I finally added a lmt dmr stock and got to shoot it and I am very happy. It helped with felt recoil I could adjust it for myself (thanks Frank for the videos)and I shot the rifle better. I am now gonna buy a brake and new scope to finish off the rifle. Funny story I reloaded 75 rounds of 168 for amax and thought I was looking at the ocw target board for my test loads whoops! Nope I was looking at my AI ocw board. The load was well short of max so I just considered it practice ammo but holy crap it shot lights out. I accidentally reloaded a round the gun liked!

my lmt mws is super accurate, i know the group size nazis on this forum will say, 6*5 of it does not count, so i won't make moa claims, but i can say that my lmt mws shoots as well as many of my custom rifles that i've spent double the price on.

Anybody here have any info on the whole nefarious arms barrel conversions? Im building an MWS piece by piece and was curious if nefarious arms changes the actual MWS upper to fit other barrels or changes the barrel to fit the mws?