• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS 308 lowers don't like drop in triggers?

heavybarrel73

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2020
Kaliforniastan
I just tried to install (drop-in) a triggertech AR10 trigger into a LMT MWS308 lower and it slightly too wide to slide in. Called TT and they said it's a known issue with them. Does that mean all drop in triggers will be too big for it? Anyone running one in theirs? It's not the end of the world... just never ran into this kind of issue before.

Hmm.. I have put a Timney and a CMC in mine without issue. The CMC was tight but I certianly didn't have to bang it in.

Oh yeah I'm not having any problems with the regular triggers you have to install. Just the casing on the drop in triggers that are already assembled... like the triggertech. Sounds like Timney and CMC are doing fine.
Thanks!

Reactions: Zorrosdens
Wellll...THATS a bummer as I’ve got one of the AR-10 Diamonds that I was going to install in my MWS today. 😕🤨DANG. Guess it’s backup rethink time now. Glad I at least saw this to save me extra aggravation. 🤙
May as well try it, small variation from lower to lower could give you the room it needs...

Wellll...THATS a bummer as I’ve got one of the AR-10 Diamonds that I was going to install in my MWS today. 😕🤨DANG. Guess it’s backup rethink time now. Glad I at least saw this to save me extra aggravation. 🤙

I personally do not have experience with true drop-in triggers with AR platforms. Partly because we cater to military style rifles, and partly because we use and sell three main triggers, and all are not true drop-ins. We are a relatively big LMT dealer, and a huge LMT fan. I sometimes joke that there are two kinds of people in the AR world: 'those know and appreciate LMT and those who do not.' LMT is a bit of a hidden brand, but one of the finest manufactuers of AR riles, both large frame and small frame.

The first question I would ask, is what are you trying to achieve? The LMT two-stage triggers are quite good. I find very few times that I want, or our customers ask, for a different trigger. When they do, it is usually a Geissele, or occaisionally a LaRue. If it is a stripped LMT lower, then we get a lot of requests for Geissele, LaRue and sometimes Rock River 2-stage match. The RRA trigger was the trigger to have a decade back, and still is a good trigger.

Cards on the table (I know this will bring too many responses probably)..bottom line FNG rifle shooter. Basic desire is prone/maybe some rest long range. Got my pieces (LMT, Atlas, ZCO, +). I’ve got much to learn, I realize it. A list Frank made one time had replace trigger as a next point towards improved groupings, while allllll the rest you need present besides equipment & fundamentals. It in a nut shell. I have a lot to learn. I want a solid, well put together stick with some basic improvements tacked on that only improve the goal, then I hone it from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavybarrel73
I put a Geissele HSNM DMR in mine and love it. Not a drop-in. I think I tried a CMC in it before and it fit fine, but you have to use no-walk pins/screws and I hate seeing phillips screws on the side of my receiver so I quickly got rid of it.

FCG cassettes might face tolerance limitations of the FCG pocket in the lower since the two weren’t designed under the same roof.

Non-cassette FCGs usually go right in.

Some of them are tight or won’t fit if the tolerances of each overlap each other.

I've ran the Factory LMT 2 Stage, G SSA, SSA-E, Larue MBT and Finally installed a G Hi Speed National Match into my MWS and into my MARS-H lowers. One of them needed slight fitting on the side of the receiver and the selector. The other dropped right in. Never used a self contained trigger assy in them.

You can lightly sand the sides of the trigger cassette if you only need a couple thousandths of extra clearance. This will obviously void your warranty though.

Generally speaking though, I think most cassette triggers are a solution in search of a problem. They are less reliable, more prone to being jammed up by fouling or blown primers, can't be repaired in the field, and don't offer enough of a performance increase over a quality conventional trigger for the juice to be worth the squeeze.

Sorry op, some don't know the difference between drop in not a drop in.

As someone mentioned, cassette width fitment varies so Id look there first. Could be a lmt issue but I had a rise in my 16" mws with no issues. Id bet the tolerances amongst drop in triggers varies greatly

Thanks for the replies everyone. The guy at TT did not recommend I modify the their trigger housing so I just went with a Geissele Tricon. I like the shape of the trigger bow and of course it breaks just fine.

That was the first time I tried a self contained trigger in a 308. Had an elftmann in a 300 blk pistol build and it was great. This one was for an SR-25 PR so I was looking for something a little more touchy feely.

The guy at TT sent me the ar15 version and it feels great in another build I'm doing. It's like I almost had to build another one since I had the extra trigger lying around...