• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS Alternate Upper Receiver - Success

EXSOCAL

Send it...
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Idaho
After doing a lot of experimenting and asking around, I finally found a "traditional" upper receiver that fits the LMT MWS lower. In my search I tried a Larue OBR upper, an Armalite AR10a upper, and the Centurion Arms MK11 upper. Most everyone knows the about the lack of standardization among large frame AR's which leads to serious headaches when trying to get parts to play nicely. My LMT lower is a non MARS type lower.

- The upper / lower fit with the larue OBR upper I tried was probably the best as far as things lining up, but I could not get the takedown pins started. The upper belonged to a friend and I didn't have a chance to gauge the diameter of the takedown pin holes on the upper, but I believe the holes could be reamed out to work. No issues with the function of the lower receiver's controls.

- The Armalite AR10a fit well also, probably as well as the Larue. Problem was the pin holes on the upper were pretty small.... small to the point where it might be even too much material to remove with a reamer, but if one was so inclined, I don't see why you couldn't enlarge the holes. No issues with the function of the lower receiver's controls.

- The Centurion Arms MK11 was the first one I tried and at first I was a little disappointed. The front pivot pin went in tight but the rear one would only go in about a quarter of the way. Centurion Arms claims on their website that these receivers ARE compatible with the LMT MWS lowers so I expected it to drop in, but I guess this is par for the course when dealing with large frame AR's. The upper / lower fit was good, not as good as the above two but still not bad at all.

I couldn't find a stripped Larue upper to modify so I ended up keeping the Centurion MK11. In order to make the rear pin slide in, I used an adjustable reamer to slowly enlarge the hole until the pin would go in. Now it takes a light tap with a wood mallet to seat the rear pin and the upper / lower has no slop whatsoever. I removed very, very little material from the hole. It actually looked like I just cleaned up a burr or some irregularity in the coating that was keeping the pin from going through.

Overall I'm happy... This give MWS owners a pretty good option to stray away from the LMT offerings, not that there is anything wrong with them, but options are nice. This upper will be assembled with a Craddock 18" bartlein, JP LMOS BCG, and SLR handguard. I figure it will be about 1.5 lbs lighter than the equivalent LMT 18" upper which is nice.

PICS:

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Have you tried a handguard on that upper? A charging handle? The one i had was out of spec and neither of those parts would work on mine. The outer diameter of the threads were around .030" too small and the channel for the charging handle was too tight. It required about 5 pounds of force to make the charging handle move.
20181213_110947.jpg

Reactions: redhooker
I don’t have the hand guard yet but I did check the fit with the LMT BCG and a Radian Raptor charging handle. No issues.

what hand guard were you trying to fit?

I don’t have the hand guard yet but I did check the fit with the LMT BCG and a Radian Raptor charging handle. No issues.

what hand guard were you trying to fit?
I screwed on the barrel nut from a Troy handguard. It barely even touched the threads.

My SLR handguard will be here in a few days. I’ll post the results.

My SLR handguard will be here in a few days. I’ll post the results.

Looking forward to the feedback, I'll be in the market for a second hand big bore AR and LMT was on the top of the food chain....followed by building off the MARS lower.

The SLR M-Lok handguard showed up. Fit up is perfect with the Centurion MK11 upper. The Craddock turned Bartlein is a few weeks out but so far so good. We will know soon if this is a viable alternative.
16C493C1-2ED6-4606-9887-B464B36B368D.jpeg

Craddock machined Bartlein is en route, should be here by the beginning of next week. I’ll know soon if this was a waste of time and money or not. Fingers crossed.

This project turned out to be a huge success. The upper functions flawlessly, shaved a significant amount of weight out of the MWS, and so far the accuracy is there. For anyone looking for an alternate upper assy. for their MWS, this is something to look at. Mine is setup as follows:

Centurion Arms MK11 upper receiver
SLR adjustable gas block
SLR m-lok handguard
JP LMOS carrier and bolt
JP SCS w/ red / yellow spring
18” mid length Craddock machined Bartlein - 10 twist - 308Win
Raptor charging handle.

it took 7 rounds to adjust the gas system and after that it ate up a mix of FGMM, hunting ammo, Federal T308T, and reloads without any issue. Approx. 60 rounds total. Accuracy so far is good but only had a chance to shoot at 50 yards. It stacks the FGMM and T308T into a single hole at that distance.

Everything fits up nicely and the firing cycle is very smooth

1C049F71-D9CE-4B37-9D60-5FA4D751444C.jpeg

0094A1A2-18AA-4064-A8CE-2835D2903023.jpeg

757C32C6-647E-4B9A-B3DF-6BBCB23EF39C.jpeg

Attachments

• A9B713FF-98FA-4661-9CFE-4A57927E77F5.jpeg
    A9B713FF-98FA-4661-9CFE-4A57927E77F5.jpeg
    697.3 KB · Views: 122
Just a suggestion... keep an eye on the buffer tube / buffer and BCG interface.

Just in case the axis of the bores, on each, is slightly "off" between the 2 different manufacturers . ( IE the uppers BCG sits slightly higher then the buffer tube, and the tail of the BCG isn't "perfectly" centered on the buffer face ) It "might" matter... might not.

And thanks for the work to see what fits.

Great minds think alike.... that was my main concern when I was mocking up the MK11 upper with the LMT lower, I ran a precision indicating rod into the buffer tube with the bare upper. Everything lined up A-OK. I may build another 6.5 creed off the MK11 in the near future.

Awesome stuff! Was just emailing Centurion about this same idea. Have MARS-H lower and was going to go the Mk11/Centurion rail route. Did you use a standard LMT lower parts kit? Had spoke to one other person who tried the same and mentioned using Centurion takedown/pivot pins for fitment issues.

That might be a viable option. I used my complete MWS lower for the build. Only thing changed on it is a Geissele nat match trigger. I opted to leave the LMT pins in because I still run the LMT upper with a 16” barrel for some stuff.

The takedown and pivot pin holes on the MK11 upper were a tad bit under sized. I think I mentioned it above but I used an adjustable reamer to barely clean up the holes. So far so good. I have about 200 rounds through this configuration and everything is smooth. I’m not a phenomenal gas gun shooter but it has averaged .89” for 12 5-shot groups. Pretty solid.

Reactions: sinister
Really appreciate the reply. My MARS H lower is “stripped”. Needs takedown/pivot pins, trigger group, trigger guard. Someone I spoke to about the Mk11 mentioned a tight takedown. Glad the reamer worked. I’m putting 2 uppers for sale to raise some cash to make this happen. Will build out the lower myself and Citizen Arms is doing the upper.

Reactions: EXSOCAL