• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LMT MWS VS COLT LE901

tomahawk84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
USA
Colt LE901 vs LMT MWS. I think this is going to be one of the hot topics in 2012, colt is coming in with an MSRP of 2129.00
LMT is 2859.00 for 16in CL. I am going to purchase one or the other this year. but would like some input from people here. I know the MWS has a great reputation and will be hard to beat, but if anyone gets a 901 post your impressions and reviews here.

Re: LMT MWS VS COLT LE901

I'd be interested in seeing a review on the 901 also but if i had to pick i would go LMT, i like the longer rail on the LMT. Whats the weight comparison also. The 901 is right around 9lbs unloaded.

I didn't know the weight of the MWS i was just stating it for the 901.

Waiting on the Colt release also ... kinda like the KelTec KSG ... waiting .... oh yah ... waiting ...

my understanding is the Colt is held up due to patents ...

I'm interested in a comparison of these also. Unfortunately right now it's hard to find anyone with first hand experience with the 901. I fondled one at SHOT 2011 and it felt nice. I've been waiting all year and it seems it's going a bit longer until they're released (I read Q2 of 2012 most recently and I don't know how credible that is).

I'm usually hesitant to buy the first generation of anything because I would prefer they work the bugs out at someone else's expense. Because of this, and that LMT has already made quite a few improvements since the MWS was first released I like them at the moment.

I really like the idea of the 901. Hopefully I can get me hands on one down the road.

Think Colt will have to prove itself before a fair comparison can be made.

While Colt is not new to making AR's this new offering is a new creature with many yet unproven although unique features.

Conversly the LMT is swimming in the same gene pool as the KAC and has more than proven itself on both one way and two way ranges.

I'm all for innovation but often they are never perfect out the door so safe bet for now is still LMT.

If I wanted a battle rifle, I'd probably wait for the CM901 or do what I did already and pick up a SCAR 17S. If I want a DMR type setup, I'd definitely go with the MWS with a SS barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MM1776 what improvements did LMT work out? i'm new to them and just put an order for a new one. </div></div>

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong or missed something, but I believe they've changed the bolt carrier, changed the upper from milled to forged and most recently they're changing the rail to cut weight.

I have to give this post a bump, anyone get their hands on a cm901? I am really hoping to get some real reviews and info before getting an mws or 901. Its my #1 decision for 2012 i am sure there are others who are interested in the same. I know the real way to go is to get both, but im not rich!

Bump, anyone with a 901 want to weigh in? I have plenty of great info and reviews on the MWS, along with documented updates, and revisions to look at on the hide, but lets see the 901.

LMT-Combat proven

Colt 901....???

Only time will tell

Free

That Colt looks nice but I'll probably have to go LMT too. Britain adopted it as their SDM rifle and the one you buy here is identical except for some writing on the other side. I like my stuff proven. I'd go M110 if I could afford it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">I'm usually hesitant to buy the first generation of anything because I would prefer they work the bugs out at someone else's expense. </span> Because of this, and that LMT has already made quite a few improvements since the MWS was first released I like them at the moment.

</div></div>

^This. I never buy 1.0 versions of guns. That's just begging for trouble. If you're going to buy something this year, get the LMT. If you can wait a couple years, then you don't have to decide now.

Just picked mine up and will range report ASAP. One thing that pissed me off was no conversion adapter with the rifle. I felt like with all the talk about it Colt would have provided it but nope, not only that but no way to purchase it either!!!
Who knows how long it will take for that or how much it will be. I kind of think it was misleading at best. If it shoots as good as its finished I will be happy....

So after doing some reading it seems that I've changed my mind in purchasing a SIG 716. The LE901 is a better choice IMO. That said, a Geissele trigger will work, however a Magpul MIAD grip with the "beaver tail" won't fit,but needs "modding" . The vortex is a 5/8-24? and can be replaced with a standard hider like a AAC Blackout?

Last edited:
Think Colt will have to prove itself before a fair comparison can be made.

While Colt is not new to making AR's this new offering is a new creature with many yet unproven although unique features.

Conversly the LMT is swimming in the same gene pool as the KAC and has more than proven itself on both one way and two way ranges.

I'm all for innovation but often they are never perfect out the door so safe bet for now is still LMT.

This. Esp the slick LMT.