• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Load speed

anginaprinzmetal

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2014
Say you have to develop a load for PRS type competitions
Assuming all else being equal. Would you go for a fast one or a slow speed? Say 6GT 3550 vs 2950 or 6 Dasher 2950 vs 2850.
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
Thx

Last edited:
Assuming typo on the 3550 6gt and it’s actually 3050. You will see almost zero difference from 3050 to 2950 and from 2950 to 2850.

The question I would think is better would be “should I run a fast 6 (creed or x47) at 3050-3100 or slower 6 at 2800?”

My answer would be defendant on how much you shoot and your skill level. High volume/higher skill shooters won’t have an issue with 2800 and will get more barrel life. Low volume/lesser skill shooters will benefit from the .2-.3 (at distance) better wind of 3050+ and since they don’t shoot a lot the barrel life isn’t a huge deal.

I personally run between 2775-2950 depends on the rifle. Going over 3,000 for me always seems to be where consistency and barrel life take a shit.

Lol, yep meant to say 3050 fps. I shoot a good bit but I take any help I can, the skill part is the missing link. Lol
I ran my previous 6xc at 3030-3050 and the barrel took a beating.
Found a good load for a 6gt but is a bit on the faster side and was wondering if I should just dial it down a bit. It’s around 3050 w 105 Hybrids. 1/4 - 1/3 moa and pretty good SDs, just seems I will thrash the brass and barrel faster

It seems like when you start getting towards the top end of performance for a caliber, things seem to get a little more inconsistent. I'm looking at running 105s in my BRA next year at 2900ish out of a 27" barrel. I don't have the urge to push it all that much faster. For the record, I'm running a GT with 110 A-tips at 2825 this year and I don't feel like speed is holding me back at all.

It might be a perception thing but I feel like the slower I go, the less recoil there is. I have no way of measuring it, to quantify it. But It feels less snappy in the 2850-2900 range than the 2950-3000 range.

I had an old gunsmith tell me anything over 3000 fps, you're asking for problems. Anytime I've gotten over that, it's been a little inconsistent.
Currently running a GT w/105 hybrids at 2920.

Reactions: anginaprinzmetal
Speed is the most over-rated thing in this game. Chase consistency. I shoot 115 dtac at 3050 for impact energy. My wife shoots 105 Hornady hpbt at 2890. At 1000 yds if we were to call a 10 mph wind a 9 we would both hit a 2 moa target. If we called a 10 mph wind an 8 we would both miss. There is something to be said when you are competing for the top spot and one point will make you or break you. If you can get speed and consistency at the same time it will help on the 1100+ yd shot that people throw in a few times a match. If you have to give up consistency to get speed, you are making a poor trade. Most matches are won and lost inside 800 yds. That said, the long range stages are a good place to gain ground if you can.

Another thing to think about: I can't do it consistently, but a few top guys say they can. They are spotting trace on nearly every shot. If there is nothing behind the target to see a splash from a miss, this can be a huge separator. Most of the guys that I talk to that do really well at it are around 2750-2850 fps. Being able to get some feedback in tough conditions is usually better than having to hold a little less wind, but having no feedback.