• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Loading 175 Nosler Custom Comp

scorpion168

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
NE TX
Savage 10 in 308. 1 in 10 twist. Wanna load some 175's into new Lapua brass. Got a preferred powder? I have varget, IMR4064, and 8208. Any advice?

I think varget is going to be your best bet with that bullet weight. 4064 is great too. I use it for slightly heavier bullets though.

Somewhere in the 44 grain range for either would work. Start a bit lower and test them up at .5 grain increments to get a feel for it.

Still working some different powders and charges, but thus far my best combo is 42.4 gr of Win 748. Shot a .69" group @ 200 meters. Love W748 powder, very versatile as it is also very consistiant in my Bushmaster AR-15 Varmint. benchmark and 4064 are on my list of powders to try as well.

8208 has been my go to powder for 175 & 178's. My load in the same gun is 41.2g in Lapua brass seated 2.125 to the ogive. I just sampled my latest batch and got 2662fps average over 10 rounds.

I just loaded some 175 cc's with 44 gr varget seated on the lands, lapua brass in a 1:10 savage. They shot very well with no pressure signs. I have some loaded up with a couple hotter charges but have not had the chance to test them.

Thanks miller time. I'll try it. I found out today that my Savage prefers SMK's over Hornady Amax. . I have been experiencing with Hornady 178 Amax for 5 weeks now, and cannot get it right. Thought my scope or gun was going bad. So today I shot 5 rounds of 44.2 Varget pushing 168 SMK out of Lapua brass, which shot lights out late tast year. Those 5 shots were back to being tight. Crazy.