• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lockdown in Kabul

Kells81

Slacker
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 15, 2006
    Granbury TX
    Was gonna try to go to Finest to get some Ice Cream this morning but roads closed due to some Protesting over another incident of burning some Koran's. The longer I am here the more I think that we should-a minded our own damn business and let Russia smoke these clowns.. Point of this post is Ice Cream rations are low and dunno if I will be able to go tomorrow for resupply.
    smile.gif

Also guess I need to stay more up to date on the day to day news in my AO.

BTW for a general location I am at Bagram road and J-bad road which is about 1/2 mile from Phoenix and a little further to the green village.

Re: Lockdown in Kabul

The more and more I think about it, the more I think that our involvement when Russia was there, was a Cold War payback for them helping the NVA in Vietnam.

Attack by Proxy, and all.

Ice Cream???? I remember getting ice cream, but I think there was a regulation that you could only serve ice cream to troops in the field during Monsum Season.

We got resupplied about once ever 5-7 days. Sometimes they would mermite in hot chow. First it had to set on the chopper pad all morning. By them time it got to us it was in fact cream, but the rain would wash it out of the paper plate before you could spoon it up.

What you could get on your spoon was mixed with watery mashed patatos.

But a hot meal is a hot meal, couldn't complain.

I'm about 1km west of you Poke. Crazy day but at least we fared better than GV did.

Oh, who the hell wants ice cream with all this snow on the ground? I'm sucking down coffee at the cyclic rate...

Kraig,
    One of the missions I used to love flying most was bringing hot chow out to you guys during the monsoons. I know how wet and cold you guys got.

The one I loved THE most was flying the beer ration out to the fire support bases. You would have though we were bringing in 47 virgins!!!!

Can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

Good hunting out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about 1km west of you Poke. Crazy day but at least we fared better than GV did.

Oh, who the hell wants ice cream with all this snow on the ground? I'm sucking down coffee at the cyclic rate... </div></div>

Ice cream is the only decent thing here that I enjoy. The snow is INSAIN.... I think its supposed to start again sat/sun but haven't checked the weather in the last couple of days. I heard GV took a beating but haven't been able to get out since the police turn us around at Jbad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more and more I think about it, the more I think that our involvement when Russia was there, was a Cold War payback for them helping the NVA in Vietnam.

Attack by Proxy, and all.</div></div>

This is exactly what it was. Like I said on the Marines in trouble thread, aint no reason we should even be there on the ground. Ain't nothing there we need to do for our national security that a timely airstrike won't do at 1/10 the risk and cost.

We haven't had any problems out here in the country. It's cold as a witch's tit though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was gonna try to go to Finest to get some Ice Cream this morning but roads closed due to some Protesting over another incident of burning some Koran's. The longer I am here the more I think that we should-a minded our own damn business and let Russia smoke these clowns.. Point of this post is Ice Cream rations are low and dunno if I will be able to go tomorrow for resupply.
    smile.gif

Also guess I need to stay more up to date on the day to day news in my AO.

BTW for a general location I am at Bagram road and J-bad road which is about 1/2 mile from Phoenix and a little further to the green village. </div></div>

so you're sayin giving stinger missiles to the Taliban was a bad idea?....
    (sarcasm font)

Nah I was talking to my local workers this morning and there are no protest planned today and since its TGIMLT there is nothing tomorrow. Looks like the Ice cream and Liquor Op is a go later today.

And yeah I think the assclown who ponied up the stingers ought to be taken out back and shot.... As stated there is nothing here that cannot be cured with some nice indiscriminate bombing runs in the larger cities and some strafing fire on the hillbilly villages.

Don't get in the way of a fat kid and his ice cream....

We should start a poll to see how many people can identify the acronym "TGIMLT". That shit made me laugh.

You got snow? We have not seen snow this year. Of course I'm about 2 hours SE of Kabul, but we bitch about it hitting the 20's at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about 1km west of you Poke. Crazy day but at least we fared better than GV did.

Oh, who the hell wants ice cream with all this snow on the ground? I'm sucking down coffee at the cyclic rate... </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We should start a poll to see how many people can identify the acronym "TGIMLT". That shit made me laugh. </div></div>

Off topic, but I googled that acronym and the fourth result on a whopping three pages of results was this thread. Suffice to say I have no idea what it means. Guess no one else does, either.

End tangent.

Re: Lockdown in Kabul Now with a Poll

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We should start a poll to see how many people can identify the acronym "TGIMLT". That shit made me laugh. </div></div>

Off topic, but I googled that acronym and the fourth result on a whopping three pages of results was this thread. Suffice to say I have no idea what it means. Guess no one else does, either.

End tangent. </div></div>

Its so fitting that no one really believes it happens unless you have lived/worked here....

Poll Added

Thank God its Man Love Thursday.......

Im in KIAI, Plenty of snow here. Hope the weather holds out, Im trying to fly out for R&R after 8 months in this Sh*thole!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bs295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got snow? We have not seen snow this year. Of course I'm about 2 hours SE of Kabul, but we bitch about it hitting the 20's at night.

Oh, who the hell wants ice cream with all this snow on the ground? I'm sucking down coffee at the cyclic rate... </div></div></div></div> Pfft... I wish we were only in the 20's at night. Single digits here nightly except when it's snowing. It's my 6th winter in Kabul and I've never seen snow or temps like this here.

BTW guys, shit here's going to get worse before it gets better. Keep your kit close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We should start a poll to see how many people can identify the acronym "TGIMLT". That shit made me laugh. </div></div>

The only thing i can think of is <span style="font-weight: bold">T</span>hank <span style="font-weight: bold">G</span>od <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span>ts <span style="font-weight: bold">M</span>alt <span style="font-weight: bold">L</span>iquor <span style="font-weight: bold">T</span>hursday

But everything has changed in the last few decades.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bs295</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got snow? We have not seen snow this year. Of course I'm about 2 hours SE of Kabul, but we bitch about it hitting the 20's at night.

Oh, who the hell wants ice cream with all this snow on the ground? I'm sucking down coffee at the cyclic rate... </div></div></div></div> Pfft... I wish we were only in the 20's at night. Single digits here nightly except when it's snowing. It's my 6th winter in Kabul and I've never seen snow or temps like this here.

BTW guys, shit here's going to get worse before it gets better. Keep your kit close. </div></div>

Yeah I know.... Been thinking about busting out for a little vacation time while it settles and forgets. We kick around mostly unarmed in soft skinned wagons so not the best scenario here right now.

Was out 2 weeks ago and it was -20 without the wind chill. Seems like it snows every weekend too. This weather is starting to piss me off. Mint Chocolate Chip is the best in the cold weather. Too bad there isn't any left.

I just flew out of Ghazni and it was around -5* last night. I'm almost shocked I got out of there considering the weather patterns lately. Hopping birds in between snowstorms is not a reliable way to get around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW guys, shit here's going to get worse before it gets better. Keep your kit close. </div></div>

Yeah I know.... Been thinking about busting out for a little vacation time while it settles and forgets. We kick around mostly unarmed in soft skinned wagons so not the best scenario here right now. </div></div> I with you on the break but I honestly hope it's all quiet by the time I go, quick vacation thaw in Dubai next week.

At least I'm not rolling dirty like you have to. Be safe bro.

Went out to KMTC this morning and all was quiet. Was pretty sketchy when we came back after lunch though. Guess the Protest or Riots are kicking back up.

I heard there was a Dyncorp compound that was overrun. You guys hear anything about that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard there was a Dyncorp compound that was overrun. You guys hear anything about that?</div></div> AO? Heard of some hairy times and damage but not an actual "overrun".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard there was a Dyncorp compound that was overrun. You guys hear anything about that?</div></div> AO? Heard of some hairy times and damage but not an actual "overrun". </div></div>

Not sure, I have just been hearing rumors. I am in Iraq.

I know Dyncorp has a small place here in Kabul since its pretty much Fluor territory on the FOB's and camps. I rode in with some of them on the plane when I came in and thought it was odd. Dunno about overrun though and not sure where they are but I know the locals that came to our compound this afternoon said shit was flying

I've heard nothing about a facility being overrun. There were quite a few demonstrations after Friday prayers, but nothing got out of hand from what I heard.

There was some nastiness going down here and there, but the overrun thing was a bit of the rumor mill in overdrive effect. We all know how that one goes.

Hopefully tomorrow is quiet and they all go back to work. Oh wait, that requires jobs... Crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hopefully tomorrow is quiet and they all go back to work. Oh wait, that requires jobs... Crap. </div></div>

LOL They have jobs but they just tend to show up when they want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ajwcotton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was out 2 weeks ago and it was -20 without the wind chill. Seems like it snows every weekend too. This weather is starting to piss me off. Mint Chocolate Chip is the best in the cold weather. Too bad there isn't any left. </div></div>

Mint Chocolate chip is the best. We have been running out of alot of shit. We just got a resupply of MCC last week.