• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

long 223

oobray

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
dallas area, tx
I have posted this question on a couple of other forums, but I haven't gotten any answers. I'm looking to load either a 70 grain hornady A-max or the 70 gr barnes TSX. I can seat the A-max deep enough to fit in the magazine but there is a tiny gap between the ogive area of the bullet and the case mouth. Is ot possible to trim the case a little shorter to get rid of the gap, say to case length of 1.7 or 1.65? or is it possible to use 6.8 or 6.5 mags. I'm not sure if those mags allow for more COL or not.

Re: long 223

I can't help you with the trimming question, but I measured 2 of my Alexander Arms 6.5 magazines, and they have about an extra .015" due to their construction with thinner metal than the USGI mags that I have. An issue with using them though is that the ribs on the sides are of different depth than .223 magazines, and the feed lips are different. I can't get .223 to stay in the 6.5 mag.

There is no such thing as a .224 cal 70Gr Hornady A-Max; they make a 52gr, a 75gr and an 80gr in that caliber. So, i guess we are talking about the 75gr A-max here.

That bullet is not designed to be magazine length loaded; it is meant to be used as a single load cartridge. It is not a good idea to load it deeper into the case, as pressures will increase and since it's not seated properly, I may move and give further problems.

On the other hand, last time I was using these I was seating them so as to be just inside the lands and they did fine, just not for 1000 yards.

marketgarden,

good to know, thanks for doing that for me.

Sig,

That's kinda what I was wondering about with seating the a-max a little deeper. And you're right I went and looked again it is a 75 grain. I think I'm going to try trimming the case and just starting with minimal loads and keeping a good eye out for pressure signs.

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 75 A-Max, Sierra 80, etc are designed to be loaded long. Loading them to be a standard mag length round will cause the bullet to take up alot of case capacity. That will cause pressures to increase greatly.

My recommendation would be buy the Sierra 77 or Hornaday 75 HPBT. Those are designed for mag length round.

If you really want to play with the longer bullets out of a mag you can buy mags that are modified to use them, but they never worked very well and you have to replace the bolt stop. That made it so you couldn't use regular mags. I forget the company that made them, but Midway has them.

Well, I spoke with Barnes yesterday and they said that thier 70 grain TSX will load to mag length. Now the only problem is that they suggest an 8" inch twist or faster for that one. My barrel is a Rock River so I'm pretty sure it's a 9". I guess it looks like I'll have to use the 62 grain TSX anyway.
Thanks for the help

You're right, the Barnes is a mag length bullet. I was addressing the AMax.

If you have a SS RRA barrel it would most likely be a 1-8" by Wilson barrels. Even if it is a 1-9" the 70 Barnes would probably shoot fine. Plenty of people shooting 68 and 75 Hornady, 69 and 77 Sierra and Noslers out of 1-9" barrel. When you get into the longer 80 Sierra and 75 AMax they sometimes don't stabilize in a 1-9".