• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long action for .338?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I have a .30-06 with mcmillan stock etc. What would it take to change it to a .338 lapua? I have tried to find out if they take the same length action but couldn't. I know the bolt face would be different.

Re: Long action for .338?

i'm assumeing its a rem 700?
you would need to have the bolt face opened up, and have a new extractor installed, and get a wyatt's extended mag box installed, or get the DBM of your choice...

hope that helps

Steve

Yes. It is a long action 700. So the .338 Lapua takes the same length action?

How much would it cost to have the face opened up?

yes, there is only one length rem 700 long action
wink.gif

i'm not sure what the going rate for opening up the bolt face is, you'd have to have a new extractor installed too, if I was you i'd order a new bolt from PTG that is alraedy set up for the lapua, take your action to a smith and have him gauge it so you can get a bolt that is closer to the diameter of your action, tighter tolerances = tighter groups, if you keep the factory bolt, i'd have the rear of it sleeved

or you can look in the for sale section and RWS has some Phoenix Machine 338 LM actions with bolt firing pin assy and bold handle for 600.00

Yea, in my experiances once you start going down the lines of radical change you're better off keeping what you've got or selling it and just starting fresh.